• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dali?

icunurse_celeste

If I seem a little strange, it's because I am.
Hi Julie, Corey and the Gang,
I was wondering if you could post more information about the Dali paintings that were related to Disney? The only information I was able to find was secondary to the movie Destino. Are they prints from that movie? I don't remember that movie, I'll have to check it out.

If you enjoy the work of Dali, I highly recommend going to Barcelona and seeing the work of Gaudi. Absolutely beautiful. I can't remember who recently cruised the Med and if they did or didn't go to Barcelona or not. His buildings, esp. La Sagrada Familia, are better in person. The building tells the story of the bible. Even for someone not very religious, it was beautiful.

I look forward to more information and thanks for the help!!!

Hey Celeste,

Corey and I were in Barcelona and visited Casa Batllo, a residence designed by Gaudi. It was an awesome experience and we took some amazing photos. We did see La Familia Sagrada, but were not able to actually go inside. We were only there for one day.:sad2:

I was extremely happy to find out that this artwork existed.

The Destino pieces were produced in 2006 from a lost collection of Salvador Dali paintings, drawings and storyboards. The work was stored in the vaults at Disney Studios until they were found by accident over 50 years later by Roy Disney.

The story is that Disney and Dali met at a dinner party in 1945 and began collaborating shortly after. In late 1946, Dali began arriving at the Disney Studio every morning at 8:30 and worked until 5:00 at night. :artist: Dali was an employee of the Walt Disney Studios for 8 months, and produced twenty seconds of film, several paintings, various pen-and-ink drawings and many storyboards. In 1947 the Destino project was put on hold and it wasn't until 1999 that Roy Disney became inspired to finish "Destino."

There are currently 2 sets of prints out there, each consisting of 6 limited edition pieces ranging from storyboards, paintings and mixed media work. We bought a painting from the second set. The 3rd set should be coming out soon. The printing methods used are the same ones used by Salvador Dali throughout his career. Currently, the only way to get the full Destino DVD is to purchase a complete set of artwork, but you can see snippets of it on YouTube.

Here are some photos:

Dali-disney.jpg

Here is a photo of Dali working at the Disney Studios. This actually depicts him painting the original of the print we purchased.
Dali-Destino-bw.jpg

Hi Corey and Julie,
Thanks for the replies. I should have included more information in my initial post. I have tried to search for information on these series and cannot locate is using search words like: Dali, Disney, Walt Disney, prints, etc.

Would you be willing to post a name of one of the paintings or prints in the series so I could see what they look like? I was surprised to that I wasn't able to locate them.

Thanks for the help!

I could be wrong, but I think these can only be purchased through Park West Gallery (Park West at Sea). They are considered rare. All of the pieces are named by numbers - Destino #74, Destino #75...

I could be wrong, but I think these can only be purchased through Park West Gallery (Park West at Sea). They are considered rare. All of the pieces are named by numbers - Destino #74, Destino #75...

Thanks for the information Corey, I was able to find some examples on their website. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter