Danube River Cruise Meets Thread

Danny's the only one of those I know. :) Love him!

I hope you enjoyed your cruise!!

Sayhello

Yes, my friend and I really enjoyed the whole experience....I sort of wish that there was one block of time that nothing was scheduled (either morning or afternoon) to actually enjoy the ship!!! It was a very busy schedule but I loved all we did. I think the salt mine was my highlight....such a cool excursion.

MJ

Yes, my friend and I really enjoyed the whole experience....I sort of wish that there was one block of time that nothing was scheduled (either morning or afternoon) to actually enjoy the ship!!! It was a very busy schedule but I loved all we did. I think the salt mine was my highlight....such a cool excursion.

MJ
So glad you enjoyed it! :) I really loved the salt mine, too! Very unique! I would guess you got to know the Adventure Guides better than we did, since you were only cycling through 4 of them rather than the 8 we had, so you probably had more excursions with each of them.

Sayhello

Actually, the owner of the treetops place told me that ABD were the first English-speaking visitors they'd ever had. So it's not an activity that any of us were likely to have found on our own! I don't know who found it or knew about it, but I thought that was a pretty exclusive kind of activity!

Sayhello

We didn't care about the playground at the end so we got ahead of people. We were so confused at the exit because none of the signs were in English. When the exit took us to a gravel road in the woods we didn't know what to think!

We didn't care about the playground at the end so we got ahead of people. We were so confused at the exit because none of the signs were in English. When the exit took us to a gravel road in the woods we didn't know what to think!
Yes! None of the signage was in English. Just some flyers. We all gathered at the end for snacks at the little food stand, and then exited together. I can only imagine exiting that way by yourselves! It did not look like it went anywhere (but it was pleasant to walk through as a group!)

Sayhello

We booked Danube Holiday Cruise Dec 2018! Loved the Rhine cruise last July so we are doing another river cruise again. I’m sure the Danube will be more enchanting in Christmas. my family of 4 ,all adults are going. My son is 19 and daughter is 22.

I just booked the Danube Holiday Cruise for 2018. It is our first ABD trip. There are three of us. Me, my husband and our daughter, who will be 22 by then.

5 weeks from tomorrow, we fly to Munich to spend 2 days there before doing the Christmas Markets ABD river cruise on the Danube.... looks like the cruise is currently "wait list only" Will we be seeing any of you on board? Booked our hotel outside of ABD, wonder what it's going to cost us to ride the bus to the ship...

The cost per person would not be very much ..... it could be less than € 10 Euros or approx. $ 12

No Credit Card for these transactions.

Transport might be by train , tram or bus . ASK at Reception

Train from Airport to center of Munich

The Train Station is inside the Terminal Building .

Pick up a Free ( Usually ) Luggage trolley ( Cart ) to take your luggage from Baggage Claim

through Customs & on to train station . There will be No Porters to help you

Do not forget your 2 pin Round travel adaptor ......... and gloves .

Note

5 weeks from tomorrow, we fly to Munich to spend 2 days there before doing the Christmas Markets ABD river cruise on the Danube.... looks like the cruise is currently "wait list only" Will we be seeing any of you on board? Booked our hotel outside of ABD, wonder what it's going to cost us to ride the bus to the ship...
I couldn't say for sure, but I think it's likely that if you get yourself to the ABD hotel to check in with the Guides, that there's no charge to take the bus from the ABD hotel to the ship. To the best of my memory, they weren't checking who stayed at the hotel when they loaded us up to go to the ship.

Enjoy your cruise! It's such a beautiful part of the world!

Sayhello

I couldn't say for sure, but I think it's likely that if you get yourself to the ABD hotel to check in with the Guides, that there's no charge to take the bus from the ABD hotel to the ship. To the best of my memory, they weren't checking who stayed at the hotel when they loaded us up to go to the ship.

They definitely didn't ask us if we were/weren't staying at the hotel when we were talking about the bus from the hotel to the ship. They offered two different times in case some of us wanted to explore Budapest more.

Got our box yesterday, as was suggested here, if we're at the hotel by 12:45 on embarkation day, we're good to go. As we arrive 2 days early and are staying at the ABD hotel, we're golden. For this cruise with it's Munich departure, there is only one time "due to the distance between Munich and the ship's port, we regret that we cannot provide any exceptions". reading the excursions I'm now wondering if the full day excursions like the Salt Mine will allow us any time to see the Christmas Market that day, and also wondering if the Christmas Markets are actually open on Christmas day when we're in Vienna. And yes, the box was definitely underwhelming.

Got our box yesterday, as was suggested here, if we're at the hotel by 12:45 on embarkation day, we're good to go. As we arrive 2 days early and are staying at the ABD hotel, we're golden. For this cruise with it's Munich departure, there is only one time "due to the distance between Munich and the ship's port, we regret that we cannot provide any exceptions". reading the excursions I'm now wondering if the full day excursions like the Salt Mine will allow us any time to see the Christmas Market that day, and also wondering if the Christmas Markets are actually open on Christmas day when we're in Vienna. And yes, the box was definitely underwhelming.

Yeah the trip between Munich and the ship was pretty long. On the salt mine day they split us into two groups. Another group went to Mondsee but both groups met up in Salzburg. We had at least 90 minutes to shop and explore Salzburg.

We are on the Dec 20th cruise as well. My son is also 8.

oh joy, (not) looks like Icelandair may strike on Sunday, yes the day we are due to fly out... glad that I've got 2 days built in and am not trying to fly in the day of the cruise.

glad that I've got 2 days built in and am not trying to fly in the day of the cruise.
A wise move (or at least one day) for any cruise! We came close to missing a Greek Isles cruise because of nearly missing a connection in ATL last year.

update on our ABD Danube Christmas markets cruise..... when last we spoke, Iceland Air was about to go on strike. I called and finally got through to Iceland Air to see if we could go out a day early and they put me on flights from SFO to Munich on Lufthansa the day we were originally scheduled to fly. We got to the airport and were informed that we'd be landing in Frankfort later than originally scheduled, when I asked if we'd make our connecting flight to Munich, we were offered a non stop to Munich, but the fly in the ointment was that we'd lose a half day in Munich and have to sit around SFO for 8 hours...... but, but, but, because we'd be delayed we were entitled to compensation..... are you sitting down? $1350 each, each!!!! Thank you very much. The weather for the cruise was much colder and wetter than we were prepared for, I'll be doing river cruises in the future, but not in the wintertime. Snow would have been much easier to deal with than the very cold rain that we had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!