DAS at DLR/DCA affected by MaxPass

amyamya

DIS Veteran
We are just back from our annual trip to DLR/DCA. This is the first time we have visited since the popularity of MaxPass has taken off. We were so disappointed by how MaxPass affects using the DAS. The FP lines are now so much longer and slower since everyone has to scan their tickets or phone to access the line. We would wait the standby wait time, and then return to a FP line that would also be an additional 30 minutes. The reason I get the DAS is because my son cannot wait in lines without anxiety. This trip was really affected by this since most of the rides he loves have FP lines so we cannot just enter the ride through the exit. Any other DAS parents experience this at DLR?

We are just back from our annual trip to DLR/DCA. This is the first time we have visited since the popularity of MaxPass has taken off. We were so disappointed by how MaxPass affects using the DAS. The FP lines are now so much longer and slower since everyone has to scan their tickets or phone to access the line. We would wait the standby wait time, and then return to a FP line that would also be an additional 30 minutes. The reason I get the DAS is because my son cannot wait in lines without anxiety. This trip was really affected by this since most of the rides he loves have FP lines so we cannot just enter the ride through the exit. Any other DAS parents experience this at DLR?

I’m sorry you had that experience. It’s not MaxPass. It is the switch to the FP being tied to your pass/ticket rather than the piece of paper. Everyone having to scan through has backed up the entrances of a lot of the FP lines.

However, it really depends on when you go and what ride. Since the switch over from ToT to Guardians, that FP line is much larger so it regularly takes 15+ minutes to get on that ride after you’ve managed to scan through. Space Mountain definitely has a problem since the switch to FP being tied to your pass/ticket instead of the paper and needing to scan in with the queue backing up before you scan in, but once you’ve scanned, the FP line is still about the same on most days. Most of the FP line are like this now for the more popular attractions. Hopefully as people get used to this new system, it speeds up the process a bit (it is already a bit better than when they first introduced it).

DLR as a whole is a lot busier than just a few years ago. I wish there were better solutions to help make the parks more accessible. I just see the crowd situation getting a lot worse in the coming years.

This was a problem before MaxPass. We have been using a DAS for years. Some rides always have a longer FP line than others. We just use it as a learning experience for our autistic kids. They have gotten much better about tolerating lines because they are just a fact of life nowadays at Disneyland, but they are highly motivated by the rides so it helps. We have also been bringing electronics and headphones with us for them to "escape" into and zone out on longer lines. If they are able to focus on a game or video, they are less bothered by other sensory issues and being surrounded by people.

We used the DAS/MP combo when we went Aug of last year and we experienced none of the issues you are talking about. We actually loved the addition of MaxPass and found it integrated well with the DAS for our son. There were some FP lines that we had to wait in a bit but that has always been the case, even before MP was introduced.

I'm sorry that you didn't have the same experience! :(

We just got back from 4 days at Disneyland, used both DAS and the MaxPass. We did not have any issues with either one, and really enjoyed our time. We especially loved being able to make a DAS Pass at any information booth in the parks instead of having to walk to the rides, it saved us a lot of walking. I wish it was like this at Disney World.

If a Fast Pass line looked too long at the moment (Guardians backed up really badly at one point), we would just find something else to do and then come back. Disneyland in general is just super busy every day, you will have to expect to wait in lines for pretty much everything to some degree.

We strictly used DAS at DL/DCA last December and had no issues. In fact, we rode all the rides in Fantasyland within an hour of opening. The best advise is to get there at rope drop. I also used the book the Unofficial Guide to DL and used their itineraries when it go busy, skipping the rides we didn't want to go on.

We have used DAS at WDW every time we have ever gone, and it has made all the difference in our family's experiences. Pairing the DAS with FP+ has really been a lifesaver. (Our youngest is on the spectrum and has severe anxiety, especially waiting in line and in anticipating loud noises.) We are heading to DL for the first time this summer, and while we're really excited about this, the anxiety for my youngest is already setting in because we are going someplace new. We plan on purchasing MaxPass and we plan on accessing a DAS, so this thread is of great interest to me. @AnneK help me understand what you mean by information booths in the parks at DL? Do you mean guest relations? If it's not guest relations, where do I find these information booths? I had no idea about this. This is a game changer, because at WDW, we would have to walk to each ride to get a return time. We are only in the parks three days at DL, and to not have to walk to each ride would be amazing! Any info you have would be great! Thank you!

Honestly, since Maxpass has come out I have had pretty much the exact opposite experience. Yes, you may have to fight your way to the front of the crowd of people that are waiting for their return time, but once you do, it is quick and painless on most attractions (unless it had broken down earlier, but that was an issue with FP as well). To be honest I have found that by having Maxpass, I don't need the DAS near as much, especially since most of the time the return time that I get means that by the time I get over the attraction, it is time for my return time. By pairing Maxpass with the DAS, you can truly make things work well.

There will of course be days that are the exception to this, but overall we have found this to be the case.

We have used DAS at WDW every time we have ever gone, and it has made all the difference in our family's experiences. Pairing the DAS with FP+ has really been a lifesaver. (Our youngest is on the spectrum and has severe anxiety, especially waiting in line and in anticipating loud noises.) We are heading to DL for the first time this summer, and while we're really excited about this, the anxiety for my youngest is already setting in because we are going someplace new. We plan on purchasing MaxPass and we plan on accessing a DAS, so this thread is of great interest to me. @AnneK help me understand what you mean by information booths in the parks at DL? Do you mean guest relations? If it's not guest relations, where do I find these information booths? I had no idea about this. This is a game changer, because at WDW, we would have to walk to each ride to get a return time. We are only in the parks three days at DL, and to not have to walk to each ride would be amazing! Any info you have would be great! Thank you!

There are a number of guest relations kiosks in each park and they are marked by a green umbrella. (At least they were up until last August, this may have changed since then!) The kiosks are where you go to request a return time. You request the DAS at Guest Services in each park (City Hall in DL and the Chamber of Commerce in DCA) and you can ask for the CM to load your first return time at that point. From then on you just have to go to a kiosk.

From memory, and again this may have changed, the kiosks are as follows:

DL: just outside Jolly Holiday at the hub, Tomorrowland near Little Green Men store, Fantasyland between Dumbo and Storybook Boats, New Orleans Square across from HM exit. I feel as though I am missing one but can’t remember.

DCA: At the entrance to Carsland right by Mater, Pixar Pier right by the carousel...again, I feel like I am missing one, maybe in Hollywood Land? Edited to add: there is one at the trolley stop on Buena Vista St!

Edited again:

Or, I could just check the DL website...

Information Centers & Guest Relations Locations

It seems a few of the locations have changed since our last visit.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter