DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I really wish people would stop with the generalized finger pointing of oversharing and just say what they feel is over sharing so we can go back and edit posts. Makes it easier on the mods and less stressful on all the posters wondering if it's them. If it's me, tell me, and then tell me what part could be used to get DAS and I am happy to use that edit button.
Diagnoses, symptoms of your diagnoses and why you can’t wait in line should be removed.

DAS is usable at any ride with a standby line or VQ if the VQ is already reserved, there is no limits on how many rides the DAS user can use the pass on in a day. From Disney's website for WDW:

Guests registered in the DAS program can make return time selections in the My Disney Experience mobile app on the day of their park visit.

Any member of a DAS party can obtain a return time for the whole party, but the Guest registered for DAS must be present and experience the attraction when the DAS return time is redeemed. DAS return times are valid until the park closes or an attraction closes for the day. A party can only hold one DAS return time at once.

Guests without a mobile device can also visit Guest Relations or a Guest Experience Team location to receive return times.

It sounds like you are referring to DAS pre-selects:

After you’ve registered for DAS, a Cast Member will assist you in booking up to 2 one-hour return windows per day for select experiences.

These were given as an incentive to pre-register online ahead of your vacation and may or may not be going away with the change over May 20.

The DAS pass for a ride is redeemed by going through the LL. Not sure about why people are claiming their AP will be canceled unless they were knowingly faking a condition to receive approval of a DAS.

So DAS is unlimited …yikes I guess that is ripe for abuse.

Someone in one of my social groups reported being denied for a child that had previously received DAS for a ‘can’t walk’ physical disability. They didn’t say which park. They were offered return swap times at what I assume are non-accessible wheelchair rides.

Yes, I use DAS and sometimes I have a return time that was hours ago and because of my various needs I don't utilize it right away.

However you must think about fakers and why DAS would appeal to them. You're allowed to be in two lines at once and many of them can and probably do have "no problems" days.
That is a really nuanced way to look at it… and I don’t think anyone has an issue with the way you are describing it, that you might use that feature in the program and leave the park to rest or whatever you need to do..
But you are correct to realize that not only does it make the program attractive to those who don’t need it, but also for those who are just regular standby line guests, you can sort of see where they would feel as though they are paying the same price to be there and getting less “advantages” (for lack of a better word, because I certainly don’t look at a disability as an “advantage” ) but the ability to sort of “double” attractions could be looked at as one.
And again, I’m not saying that anyone doubling the attractions they experience with the DAS is wrong to do so because Disney allows it to be done… just acknowledging how some stuck in a 2 hour standby line might see the situation.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, and I can say the one thing I am sure of right now.. is I would not want to be in a position with Disney having to explain to people why their accommodations are different now and why certain things are changing. That would be an awful job to have .

So DAS is unlimited …yikes I guess that is ripe for abuse.
Disney can not legally limit DAS (which is a way of making a ride accessible to those with certain disabilities) without also putting limits on those who are not using DAS, that would be discrimination. Those using a DAS pass are not just walking into the LL when they want to ride. They must select the ride and then they are given a time they can return based off of the standby wait. People using DAS are still waiting to ride, the waiting is just not done inside the queue. This is how Disney has been making rides accessible for a broad number of disabilities. They are now going to provide different accommodations based on different needs vs. the broad brush approach, we just don't have a lot of info on what those accommodations will be.

Someone in one of my social groups reported being denied for a child that had previously received DAS for a ‘can’t walk’ physical disability. They didn’t say which park. They were offered return swap times at what I assume are non-accessible wheelchair rides.
And see, in my opinion, Disney did that to themselves…. If the challenge was completely mobility related then I would have thought that the accommodation would have been that the mobility assist equipment would be allowed in the line and then accommodations for those attractions that are not accessible?
They have really created a situation for themselves if every disability has been accommodated with DAS.

Is this for a trip before May 20?
That doesn’t really matter. Mobility issues were never supposed to receive DAS if that is the only need because most queues are accessible to wheelchairs, ECVs and other such devices. Possibly if it was a young child, at one point a CM thought they were being “helpful” but you can see where that goes as it becomes expected.

At the GAC-to-DAS change, wheelchair users were quite upset that their needs would no longer qualify. Now that has become pretty much a norm with almost no question about it.

That doesn’t really matter. Mobility issues were never supposed to receive DAS if that is the only need because most queues are accessible to wheelchairs, ECVs and other such devices. Possibly if it was a young child, at one point a CM thought they were being “helpful” but you can see where that goes as it becomes expected.

At the GAC-to-DAS change, wheelchair users were quite upset that their needs would no longer qualify. Now that has become pretty much a norm with almost no question about it.
Can I please just add that not all mobility issues are addressed via use of a wheelchair or other aid (not saying you’re saying that but it’s been a very common misconception throughout all discussions about DAS with a number of us being given unwelcome medical advice by strangers online so keen to clarify). Won’t go into more detail for the reasons discussed over the past few pages but there are limited mobility conditions that have been eligible for DAS for that reason.

Do people who hold a Genie reservation say for Haunted Mansion not ride BTMRR or Pirates, etc. else even if there is a short standby line for another ride?
I can see where you're drawing the comparison but would put in that guests without DAS are beholden to a return time being available. Granted that started with Legacy FP but once an attraction runs out it runs out. In addition with having a paid system such that we're talking about you're purchasing something before even knowing if you can get on an attraction. A DAS user is limited by their own limitations depending on their issue(s) they have. Other guests are limited by outside forces.

So in your example it may very well be that someone has a HM selection but then shut out from other attractions. If you're comparing strictly standby only attractions to other standby only attractions excluding VQ (because it can run out) I see more of what you're going for but there isn't as much of those attractions (as opposed to a show or meet and greet) available especially at WDW.

I can see where you're drawing the comparison but would put in that guests without DAS are beholden to a return time being available. Granted that started with Legacy FP but once an attraction runs out it runs out. In addition with having a paid system such that we're talking about you're purchasing something before even knowing if you can get on an attraction. A DAS user is limited by their own limitations depending on their issue(s) they have. Other guests are limited by outside forces.

So in your example it may very well be that someone has a HM selection but then shut out from other attractions. If you're comparing strictly standby only attractions to other standby only attractions excluding VQ (because it can run out) I see more of what you're going for but there isn't as much of those attractions (as opposed to a show or meet and greet) available especially at WDW.
I was misunderstanding Genie. I thought guests could make ride reservations using the app but they can't. They have to use Genie+.

Last edited:

As someone who has visited several Disney parks in a wheelchair, I am familiar with the policy, but respectfully disagree—if it’s someone with a condition who previously received DAS— they probably weren’t just a normal wheelchair accommodation— I am curious if it was only rider swap for non-accessible lines or if they had some additional complications requiring rider swap in accessible lines, in particular it will be a huge change if those in wheelchairs going forward will only be able to bring one guest with them as rider swap guests on the rides that don’t accommodate wheelchairs— at least, when we last tried a wheelchair at WDW in 2022, I believe our whole party was kept together for the few non accessible lines.

Almost any accommodation designed to mitigate a disability will give a nondisabled person a significant boost and open to abuse.

The main tools to combat this is society norms of expectations of not abusing, and enforcement.
Ramps do not give an advantage. Nor does a Braille menu or signage. Nor does transcription (sign language) services.

Ramps do not give an advantage. Nor does a Braille menu or signage. Nor does transcription (sign language) services.
Perceived advantage. An ipad as a communication device. Is that an advantage? 1.5x time in testing accommodations, is that an advantage?

I've used the equality picture several times. When used and perceived by a non handicapped person. It will give you an advantage. When used by a person with disabilities, the goal is to equate. Sometimes it will underperformed, others it will.overperform. Disney is okay with that as it's serving it's purpose to equality.

Is your premise that you see that a disadvantaged person never gets a tool or accommodation to supercede normal --only to achieve normal at full optimization

As someone who has visited several Disney parks in a wheelchair, I am familiar with the policy, but respectfully disagree—if it’s someone with a condition who previously received DAS— they probably weren’t just a normal wheelchair accommodation— I am curious if it was only rider swap for non-accessible lines or if they had some additional complications requiring rider swap in accessible lines, in particular it will be a huge change if those in wheelchairs going forward will only be able to bring one guest with them as rider swap guests on the rides that don’t accommodate wheelchairs— at least, when we last tried a wheelchair at WDW in 2022, I believe our whole party was kept together for the few non accessible lines.
In the example I gave the person wasn’t using rider swap. They were told to get a return time for the child’s wheelchair at the exit. I don’t think that process has changed at all. I’ve used it with a stroller as a wheelchair before.

ETA: I went and looked and the accessibility guide calls it “location return times”. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/accessing-attractions/#aa-location-return-time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter