• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-board to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/disability-access-service/plan/

It's on this page actively, I would think a good strategy would be call at the 1st day within 30 days, and if they say, oops sorry you need to call 30 days from your last day, at least no harm that way
That appears to all be related to the current DAS program and not the new changes. Interesting the US site doesn't even have an equivalent page "the /plan" part). Disney really has some updating to do with various websites...

How old are the kids? WDW ride CMs work with this every day. Depending on the ride they may fit 3 together, or they may put the 2 kids next to each other with Mom immediately behind. I do think it's extremely rare they kick a family out of line at boarding because there are too many young kids.
my kids are 4 (41 inch) and 6 (47 inch), it doesn't work on rides like snow white, dumbo, buzz, slinky dog, toy story mania, aladdin. I think those are the ones that are affected (not sure if I missed any at the 4 parks). Plus, it limits my wife and older child to go on anything with height requirements of 42" high if I'm stuck in a bathroom for extended period of time multiple times in the day, plus even if my daughter could go on any of those rides, like GofG, same issue would apply

I wish they would say any 4 people from your party can ride esp since they’ve just dropped this bombshell and people have trips booked with extended family already. They can be stricter for later trips.

Our extended family had a really bad experience when they were added on to one of our trips. Disney flagged us or something.

We headed to Epcot 2.5 hours before close but checked all our MBs worked (at the front desk) before heading there (issues in the past). We were questioned for 2+ hours at the hot outdoor ticket booth (they would not let us go to Guest Services) one of the kids had fleece pants on from our flight. We missed 2 of our FP+ and food booths were about to close (dinner). The CM reinstated the passes which we could no longer use so close to park close and unapologetically said you have extended hours (they tried to cover by saying we’ve been too many times (6 times maybe by that point) and have MBs (4 only) attached, so blamed us!). I ran into the gift shop and the rest of the family hurried to the food booths (our kid with allergies had nothing to eat). We were so exhausted from standing in the heat that we did Nemo and Soarin (grandma’s favorite) and left.

The Epcot CM assured us everything was good but they flagged us at MNSSHP as well and again we stood for 1.5 hrs missing 2 passes booked prior to the party - nothing was done except to reinstate the passes which we could not use any longer.

That grandma never ever wants to join us again.
Did they ever let you know what was causing the issue? That's a lot of time spent with them and to happen twice must have been frustrating.

I couldn't tell if you were talking about it being something with DAS like the an issue with who was being added. Or if the issue with MBs like a biometric issue (MB have been known to be wonky at times, not sure how MB+ are shaping up) or an issue if there were too many MBs active, an issue with your MDE account such as your Friends and Family list, I know people have reported in the past issues with the amount of people tied to their account (which Disney doesn't have the best system there IMO).

Has it happened since?

They do keep data, so whoever is abusing the system watch out:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/does-disney-keep-das-info-and-pictures-on-file.3683098/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/record-of-past-das-use.3663887/

If the abuse is as bad as people are describing, wouldn’t the bans for people who try to cheat make the parks less crowded? It’s a double win for us!

I’m rethinking my plans now.
My personal feeling about the 'banning for abuse' notice is that they are primarily aiming it at groups of 'power users' who are using it for 'professional use', such as:
- unofficial tour guides, who go frequently with totally different groups of 'Friends and Family'.
- some influencer groups that go frequently, especially those who are live streaming frequently.

The decreased number of friends allowed to be linked to DAS is probably also aimed at those groups.

Both groups may very well have a disability that qualifies for DAS, but are using it for business reasons. Some of them might also be using an annual pass for business, which is against rules and can lead to the AP being revoked (as well as banning).

Those threads are from 2018 and things have changed since then, even before the changes that are coming soon. When they started the Advance Video registration, they also advised that the secure video call part would be recorded. That's actually pretty common in any customer service situation with many companies- if we do a chat with a live person, there is usually a message right before the connection with the live person that says "this call may be recorded for quality control."
It has been clear when we've renewed DAS for DD that they have some level of notes or references in their system.
They DO have some kind of record and have for a long time. They were always supposed to ask some questions and not just say, "Oh, I see you've had DAS before. Here you go." They were always supposed to ask some questions, but CMs in the parks didn't always ask much.
Our experience with DAS Advance video registration is that we've always been asked to explain the needs/concerns each time.
It is abundantly clear to most that one of my conditions is progressive since a clear version of the word has been in the name of the condition for almost 50 years. It also happens to be exceedingly rare. Very few health care providers are familiar with it. Most have never seen a case.
I would say they don't need to know or clearly understand the condition/diagnosis, just the concerns/issues with waiting in lines. Life happens and I think they will understand that people may develop different concerns.
I personally think that Disney is going to be mostly looking at the 'big fish' I mentioned earlier.
Hey Andy, I tried to send you a private message, but as you are a new DIS member, this option is not available yet.

It totally sucks that they do not give the DAS options on the international websites. (And to have uneducated CMs who try to tell you to do it anyways). And it sucks even more that Disney blocks the US website for anyone not in the US. You always get rerouted to the EU website, also with incognito browser.

The only option we have is to use a VPN. I am from the Netherlands and signed up via the video call last weekend. No issues.

Disney says they cannot approve the use of a VPN, but they do not forbid it (because they can't). Therefore they don't give you this as an option.

The CM in the video call will not ask you where you are from, if you use a VPN. All they want to know is why you cannot stand in a conventional waiting line. For your own peace of mind and a less stressed start of your holiday, get a VPN and do the call on forehand.
Just a clarification guests are asked what their concerns with waiting in the regular lines.

Disney specifically shows on the website that you can call in your DAS registration 30 days from your visit ---BUT if you have multiple visits on your trip, it's 30 days from the LAST visit, so example if your first day is the 20th, and your last visit is lets say May 25th, you need to call them April 25th. So be mindful of that rule may still apply. You can always be safe and call on the 20th and see, but don't be shocked if they say you need to call a few days later if you have multiple days. Please inform me if you have multiple park visits, because even myself I have multiple days in August and would love to know when to call under the rule regime starting May 20th

Important Pre-Registration and DAS Advance Planning Update
Eligible Guests can now pre-register for DAS Advance virtually with a Cast Member, using live video chat. Please note that you may pre-register as soon as 30 days in advance of a park visit, but no less than 2 days before arrival.
During the registration chat, you will be able to work with a Cast Member to book up to 2 one-hour return windows for select experiences using our new DAS Advance planning option (you may also make additional DAS selections on the day of your visit). Please note that all park visits must be within 30 to 2 days of the live chat. Learn more.

This was my experience when I called on April 14th for my trip on May 12th-15th. The CM said that out DAS pass would end on May 14th and wanted me to call back the next day to include May 15th. We are not planning a park day (even though we have the 4 day pass and might change our mind), I had been on hold for 3 hours, DS was awake and present, so I let it go.

It’s nice to see this because I was starting to think I just misunderstood or misinterpreted what she was saying. But I think I got it right.

They are not targeting people who actually need DAS.

We didn’t know about even think of needing DAS for the past 11 years we’ve been going (once or twice a year and we are not AP or DVC so our trips cost 17-18k for a week for 5 people). Our needs changed and our DD’s therapist recommended DAS given her current issues (can’t detail here per Mod guidelines). She had been to the parks 4 times prior but didn’t need DAS.

Same thing with RS. We didn’t know about it until 5-6 years of going to WDW when a CM suggested it to us as a party of 3 with one child too young to ride.
I should have been clearer. One of my conditions is progressive. It can cause very different limitations as it progresses, many of which would independently likely qualify for DAS. If only describing the limitations of the condition, and not using it's name, it can be difficult to remember who has been told the most recent update. I've had multiple, substantial changes over the last 55 years.

my kids are 4 (41 inch) and 6 (47 inch), it doesn't work on rides like snow white, dumbo, buzz, slinky dog, toy story mania, aladdin
I know you can fit 1 average adult plus 2 small kids on Dumbo and Aladdin, also Buzz and Toy Story though 1 person won't have a blaster; Slinky might not allow 3 across because of the safety restraints. Snow White hasn't been at WDW for several years. Have they tried to ride those with just 1 parent? I'm not guaranteeing anything CMs work through this every day, 1 parent with a couple of kids at that age (1 yr old and 3 yr old, maybe not). As long as both are tall enough, they may be able to work it out. I understand that means you miss riding with them, and maybe whatever new accommodation will allow you return with an extra rider. But your wife and kids must be doing something while you are in the bathroom anyway - or are they just sitting outside the restroom for an hour waiting for you?

This was my experience when I called on April 14th for my trip on May 12th-15th. The CM said that out DAS pass would end on May 14th and wanted me to call back the next day to include May 15th. We are not planning a park day (even though we have the 4 day pass and might change our mind), I had been on hold for 3 hours, DS was awake and present, so I let it go.

It’s nice to see this because I was starting to think I just misunderstood or misinterpreted what she was saying. But I think I got it right.
What’s so weird is my nephew called 4/17 for a 5/17-5/21 visit and they registered him and let him pre book 2 rides for the entire length of his stay. I think it depends which CM you speak with

A cast member worked with you for 1.5 hours during the Halloween party?
Yes. They wouldn’t give us our bands and pulled us aside. They could see a legitimate purchase and it was just ridiculous that they flagged us. This was the third day of the same trip where we were stopped at Epcot and assured we were good to go.

I believe they had some free dining promotion or something and adding a guest to a pre booked package flagged us.

Last edited:
Disney specifically shows on the website that you can call in your DAS registration 30 days from your visit ---BUT if you have multiple visits on your trip, it's 30 days from the LAST visit, so example if your first day is the 20th, and your last visit is lets say May 25th, you need to call them April 25th. So be mindful of that rule may still apply. You can always be safe and call on the 20th and see, but don't be shocked if they say you need to call a few days later if you have multiple days. Please inform me if you have multiple park visits, because even myself I have multiple days in August and would love to know when to call under the rule regime starting May 20th

Important Pre-Registration and DAS Advance Planning Update
Eligible Guests can now pre-register for DAS Advance virtually with a Cast Member, using live video chat. Please note that you may pre-register as soon as 30 days in advance of a park visit, but no less than 2 days before arrival.
During the registration chat, you will be able to work with a Cast Member to book up to 2 one-hour return windows for select experiences using our new DAS Advance planning option (you may also make additional DAS selections on the day of your visit). Please note that all park visits must be within 30 to 2 days of the live chat. Learn more.
The bolded part of your post refers to the information above it about DAS Advance Selections. There was some inconsistency, but guests calling at day 30 might have only been able to make DAS Advance Selections for day 30. Guests who waited until all parks days were in that window originally could get them for all their park days (it changed later to no more than 7 days total).

When I first looked at the websites after the announcement, they had 2 different scenarios listed (these are the WDW dates. The DL website reflected their dates):
- guests arriving between April 9 (when the announcement was made) and May 20. That announcement included the registration between 30 and 2 days before the first park visit and information about DAS Advance Selections

- guests arriving after May 20 (when the new changes become effective). It included applying at or after 30 days. There was no mention of DAS Advance Selections.

The next edit of the website that I saw removed the information about guests arriving after May 20 (probably because it was confusing people). It had just the information for before, but all the information about DAS Advance Selections was gone.
The DAS Advance Selection information is now included again.
This is the exact fear I am having now on my trip. I booked in November for August and I'm from Canada; with this announcement in April, I have had no chance to anticipate it or react to it. I only go maybe once a year and spend A LOT to make it happen and I'm financially committed a lot already. Now my disability is one of the unlucky not specifically mentioned on the (hopefully temporary) DAS update. To further compound the issue, typically I need 1 additional adult present on our trips alongside my family of 4 because my kids are under 7 and if I have to remove myself from lines or unable to ride before entering, I need a 5th person with us so that my kids and wife can still ride attractions, with this new rule of 4, it has me worrying even more, usually with the party of 6 rule before, I had my mother or my in-laws with me on previous trips and it really helped in emergencies.
We don't have complete information about the 'rule of 4', but we do know they previously had a 'rule of 6'. Any more was an exception to the rule, but they were flexible about it for families, especially if it was only one or 2 over.

I know you can fit 1 average adult plus 2 small kids on Dumbo and Aladdin, also Buzz and Toy Story though 1 person won't have a blaster; Slinky might not allow 3 across because of the safety restraints. Snow White hasn't been at WDW for several years. Have they tried to ride those with just 1 parent? I'm not guaranteeing anything CMs work through this every day, 1 parent with a couple of kids at that age (1 yr old and 3 yr old, maybe not). As long as both are tall enough, they may be able to work it out. I understand that means you miss riding with them, and maybe whatever new accommodation will allow you return with an extra rider. But your wife and kids must be doing something while you are in the bathroom anyway - or are they just sitting outside the restroom for an hour waiting for you?
sorry meant seven dwarfs mine train, and my kids are at an age where they want the blasters, that's the point of the rides for them, and they're too big to fit in aladdin and dumbo with my wife all together. When I'm pre-occupied, depending on the situation and location, sometimes they'll ride a short wait time ride where they can go the 3 of them like little mermaid for example, or other times they just get a snack or have to wait unfortunately if we're waiting for a ride because they need that 4th person with them, now when I have a 5th person with me, then it allows them to do more without me

What’s so weird is my nephew called 4/17 for a 5/17-5/21 visit and they registered him and let him pre book 2 rides for the entire length of his stay. I think it depends which CM you speak with
This was most likely due to the fact that the majority of the trip fell under the old rules, and they grandfathered the advance selections into the last couple days to be consistent with the first half of the trip

That appears to all be related to the current DAS program and not the new changes. Interesting the US site doesn't even have an equivalent page "the /plan" part). Disney really has some updating to do with various websites...
They send you to the US “plan” page like that if you get back on the chat to do preselected rides.

I know. I was more commenting that he didn’t have to wait until the entire trip fell within the 30 days as someone else mentioned.
That was me, and I was saying it could be an issue. That's why I still will call 30 days prior to my FIRST day just in case you get a CM luckily enough who will do the whole trip ahead of time

sorry meant seven dwarfs mine train, and my kids are at an age where they want the blasters, that's the point of the rides for them, and they're too big to fit in aladdin and dumbo with my wife all together. When I'm pre-occupied, depending on the situation and location, sometimes they'll ride a short wait time ride where they can go the 3 of them like little mermaid for example, or other times they just get a snack or have to wait unfortunately if we're waiting for a ride because they need that 4th person with them, now when I have a 5th person with me, then it allows them to do more without me
Magic Carpets of Aladdin holds 4 guests in 1 vehicle/carpet? Your children couldn’t ride in the front row while your wife rode in the 2nd row? Does your wife need a blaster on Buzz?

That was me, and I was saying it could be an issue. That's why I still will call 30 days prior to my FIRST day just in case you get a CM luckily enough who will do the whole trip ahead of time
Under the new system, it really shouldn't matter because it's expected the Advanced Selections will go away. That was the reason in the past for doing pre-registration early in the 30-day window. For visits on or after May 20th, there will likely is no time advantage to doing the pre-registration at 30 days out vs 1 day out. And the DAS is valid for the length of your tickets for most of us (or 120 days for some).

Under the new system, it really shouldn't matter because it's expected the Advanced Selections will go away. That was the reason in the past for doing pre-registration early in the 30-day window. For visits on or after May 20th, there will likely is no time advantage to doing the pre-registration at 30 days out vs 1 day out. And the DAS is valid for the length of your tickets for most of us (or 120 days for some).
No reason to pre register early except for stress and anxiety relief 😁
I can't wait for my interview next week just to get it out of the way.

Magic Carpets of Aladdin holds 4 guests in 1 vehicle/carpet? Your children couldn’t ride in the front row while your wife rode in the 2nd row? Does your wife need a blaster on Buzz?
Yes, but my wife has a lot of anxiety over the safety of our kids, and doesn't feel comfortable having my 6 year old riding rides alone, even like aladdin or dumbo, hence why Disney has warnings on their signs that say kids should be supervised under the age of 7 on rides

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter