DAS for RA

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
So I'm on disability & have not gone back to WDW in years because it didn't seem supportive of people who struggle with RA like me any more. I used to be able to get a DAS and have a reasonably normal trip but then one year they switched to preferring behavioral spectrum to physical so I was refused a DAS and the visit was awful for me, I couldn't keep up and was in a ton of pain very quickly. Time after that the cruise worked but my kids are young adults now and want to go to the parks so not DCL cruise candidates this trip. I heard from a few places and also the booking CM that things were different so I just booked a new trip last week and was poking around to see where best to stay in Universal to get around. I figured using Uber Lyft would be great no matter where I am and I could just take my time and be ok, I was just pondering how to manage Universal when I saw a few posts here saying that I need to explain to a CM why a disabled persons disability means something but is not mobility or stamina related - I'm not even sure what that means so now I'm wondering if this place just isn't ever for me again. Am I kidding myself? If this place just belongs in a nice "used to be" memory space in my head along with high heels that's fine, I just want to know. The lack of clarity just isn't fair to my family.

If anyone has been there with RA spectrum issues and gotten a DAS please let me know because at this moment I'm thinking I nearly made a huge mistake and should just go to Miami to visit family and find a regular cruise

A mobility device would serve you so much better then the DAS pass will. If your problem s are mobility this will be a place to site and it would help with walking keeping up

One thing to remember is that just since it is called a disability access service dose not mean it is for all disabilities just like the disability parking spots are not meant for all people with disabilities a disability parking space would help my learning disabilities in no way shape or form

Disabilities come in many forms, and as such are accommodated differently. I suspect what you used in the past was the old GAC (Guest Assistance Card) program. Nearly all queues are now accessible to mobility devices. The current DAS (Disability Access Service) program provides accommodation for those who cannot be in a standard queue environment; other disabilities are accommodated in different ways.

The first post of this thread explains the current DAS program at WDW (ignore the rest of the long discussion from a few years ago). https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Enjoy your vacation!

I have RA. all of my issues are stamina and mobility related so I do not qualify for a DAS. Get a wheelchair or ECV. Rent off site so you have it with you everywhere. Schedule table service meals to get a longer break in the air conditioning. Schedule your fast passes. Get a good touring plan.

DAS is only given to people who cannot wait in line. Nothing about my RA prevents me from waiting in line. Ergo, I don’t get a DAS.

I have RA, you would be better off with a wheelchair or scootrr. You will be able to sit when you need to. The DAS really won't do much for you. The new DAS required you to wait in line (although maybe shorter than standby).

You can still enjoy Disney, especially with a scooter rented from an off site vendor, so you can use it 24\7.

What is it about your disability that prevents you from waiting in the standby queues? That is what you need to explain to Guest Services. If you cannot stand or walk through the queues, they expect you to use a mobility device.
Excruciating pain all the time, can't hold any position for any length of time or it goes from constant to unbearable. Not quite sure how this fits into what has been deemed accommodation worthy. I don't want to end up defending my disability because thats what sounds like what the policy is that is happening.

I have RA, you would be better off with a wheelchair or scootrr. You will be able to sit when you need to. The DAS really won't do much for you. The new DAS required you to wait in line (although maybe shorter than standby).

You can still enjoy Disney, especially with a scooter rented from an off site vendor, so you can use it 24\7.

I can't sit for very long either

I have RA. all of my issues are stamina and mobility related so I do not qualify for a DAS. Get a wheelchair or ECV. Rent off site so you have it with you everywhere. Schedule table service meals to get a longer break in the air conditioning. Schedule your fast passes. Get a good touring plan.

DAS is only given to people who cannot wait in line. Nothing about my RA prevents me from waiting in line. Ergo, I don’t get a DAS.

Do you have systemic or just in, say your hands?

A mobility device would serve you so much better then the DAS pass will. If your problem s are mobility this will be a place to site and it would help with walking keeping up

One thing to remember is that just since it is called a disability access service dose not mean it is for all disabilities just like the disability parking spots are not meant for all people with disabilities a disability parking space would help my learning disabilities in no way shape or form

It's not only mobility and stamina, it's so much more but is the inside of the park after purchase and absorbing the huge expense really the best place to ask a guest to make a case for themselves? That's not an informed choice at all, like right now I shouldn't be guessing if this would be fun or a catastrophe. From what I'm hearing the last few conversations I've had encouraging me to give it a chance are misleading and I've been right all this time staying away.

I think if WDW has any disability services at all they really need to set up a system where people can submit in advance with Dr notes and get a response so they can make an informed decision and not end up humiliating themselves by uppacking medical info right before trying to have fun. This is still so weird & very unfair

(Not really directed at you, I'm upset with feeling disappointed not with any person on here)

Last edited:
The thing with sfamina issues related to chronic illness an ecv doesn't account for is how just being in the park can sap your energy. Some people can only handle 4 hours in the park at a time before they need to go put their feet up. If you're spending all that time in line for 2-3 rides on a busy day that makes for a very unsatisfying trip.

You can ask, but mobility and fatigue issues, such as RA, are not what the DAS is for, since they can be handled with a wheelchair or ECV. You may get one, but according to Disney's own policy, you shouldn't.

So basically, anyone with any kind of systemic RA issue needs to be ok with 1) exposing all medical details to someone at a desk after already paying and using admission 2) using a medical device they aren't prescribed or 3) they aren't welcome. Not one of my Dr's ever said it can be handled with a wheelchair, who is the Dr saying this because it's dismissive, unfair and untrue.

I don't see that on any commercials but I think the policy needs to be publicized, the policy isn't ok

Seems I was again mislead

I don't have RA, but I understand what you are saying about not staying in one position too long. I have that kind of pain sometimes. What has worked for me is having my family from a sort of buffer zone around me in lines so I can get up form the ECV when needed and move around for a minute. I really don't think what you are describing will qualify for DAS as it is mobility/ stamina related.

I don't think you need to defend your disability, and I agree its important to be informed about what Disney will and will not offer, I think in your case they are going to offer a wheelchair or ECV, not a DAS. Disney has worked to make almost all line accessible to those with physical disabilities, I think in part to cut down the number of people using the DAS system so that it can work smoothly for those who just cannot wait in line, and so that it doesn't drastically inflate wait times for everyone else.

I would encourage you not to just write off Disney because you cannot get a DAS. Use an ECV, do what you need to do as far as moving around in line ect. If you do it correctly, it isn't really that different from waiting somewhere else for your return time. I have been there and done it.

So basically, anyone with any kind of systemic RA issue needs to be ok with 1) exposing all medical details to someone at a desk after already paying and using admission 2) using a medical device they aren't prescribed or 3) they aren't welcome. Not one of my Dr's ever said it can be handled with a wheelchair, who is the Dr saying this because it's dismissive, unfair and untrue.

I don't see that on any commercials but I think the policy needs to be publicized, the policy isn't ok
NO, that is NOT the policy AT ALL. The policy is that to get a DAS you need to be able to explain why you cannot wait in line, and those reasons need to be unrelated to mobility or stamina, as those issues are resolved with an ECV or wheelchair. What you are describing so far is mobility and stamina related and doesn't qualify.

No one is saying RA is completely handled by a mobility device, just that that is how DISNEY is willing to accommodate those with mobility and stamina issues. RA is a mobility and stamina issue.

Most people who use those devices at Disney aren't prescribed them in everyday life. I am not, but it is how I manage Disney. Disney is a different beast.

I don't mean to be unkind, but it seems like you are just angry that you cannot get a DAS at this point and convinced your trip will be ruined as a result. Your situation isn't want they are designed for, and I think you can still have a good trip without one. Wating in line isn't the end of the world if you do some planning.

You know, people keep throwing around using the scooter like its not big deal, well it is a big deal. I'm trying to live my life here and I don't need someone removing my choices for me. Nothing against chairs, I could end up in one and if it happens so be it, but these things have long lasting psycological impacts on people and their families, once my kids see me in one marking progression of disease that can't be undone. Don't you get that? Rheumatology and pharmas are making new medicines every day trying to give us all hope and keep us out of chairs with strong mobility and you are all like, nahhh - too much of a bother

NO, that is NOT the policy AT ALL. The policy is that to get a DAS you need to be able to explain why you cannot wait in line, and those reasons need to be unrelated to mobility or stamina, as those issues are resolved with an ECV or wheelchair. What you are describing so far is mobility and stamina related and doesn't qualify.

No one is saying RA is completely handled by a mobility device, just that that is how DISNEY is willing to accommodate those with mobility and stamina issues. RA is a mobility and stamina issue.

Most people who use those devices at Disney aren't prescribed them in everyday life. I am not, but it is how I manage Disney. Disney is a different beast.

I don't mean to be unkind, but it seems like you are just angry that you cannot get a DAS at this point and convinced your trip will be ruined as a result. Your situation isn't want they are designed for, and I think you can still have a good trip without one. Wating in line isn't the end of the world if you do some planning.

I am upset because the use a scooter thing is dismissive of an enormous population and the lack of clarity is awful and the policy of making me spend thousands to figure out how things will go isn't reasonable. I KNOW going into it I don't belong on the Tower or Terror or Mission Earth, and I'm ok with that. I'm saying I should know how I will be accommodated. When I go to the mall I know how much I need to walk so I can pick what store to go in at and all and so I can decide mall or online shopping. This is about taking our choices away and its done with an air of impatience, like we're all in it for the perks & that's just astounding

Uggh I think I know my answer, I nearly made a mistake again. Time to put this in the past

When the policy is changes hopefully it will be publicized and I'll be back otherwise I'll wait for a cruise when my kids have kids and that's that - such a shame

I am upset because the use a scooter thing is dismissive of an enormous population and the lack of clarity is awful and the policy of making me spend thousands to figure out how things will go isn't reasonable.
When the policy is changes

You're welcome to be upset, or outraged, or any other emotion. I'm not sure where you're getting any idea that the policy will change, ever. DAS plus mobility aids plus FastPass seem to work, and have for several years.

Nobody is saying you or anyone has to use a scooter. As for the "spend thousands" comment - why? Ask questions here. Read the FAQs (WDW in general, especially). Plan ahead.

I'm completely confused now you think a mobility device won't help you enjoy the parks, but a DAS which requires getting the return time, going somewhere else (doing or not doing other things), returning to the attraction and still having to wait in the FP line, would better alleviate physical discomfort.

I am upset because the use a scooter thing is dismissive of an enormous population and the lack of clarity is awful and the policy of making me spend thousands to figure out how things will go isn't reasonable. I KNOW going into it I don't belong on the Tower or Terror or Mission Earth, and I'm ok with that. I'm saying I should know how I will be accommodated. When I go to the mall I know how much I need to walk so I can pick what store to go in at and all and so I can decide mall or online shopping. This is about taking our choices away and its done with an air of impatience, like we're all in it for the perks & that's just astounding
I don't think its dismissive at all. its the best way to deal with limited mobility at Disney. It allows me to do EXACTLY what you are saying. Determine how much walking I can do, and base my plans on that. It doesn't take away choices at all.

I just don't see why you are so upset about a scooter being the answer to your challenges. Are you just resistant to the idea of using one at all, or is it giving up not having to wait in line that bothers you? If it is the idea of using a scooter I went through that as well, but once I gave in and actually rented one, it allowed me to do so much more. Yes, you are now going to have to wait in line, but that will be SO much easier with a mobility device.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter