DAS for RA

I agree with those who suggest a mobility aid like an ECV. Sue's post was very much my situation - really bad knees and I'm generally younger than most people who have this problem (I still have a kid in high school for example). I don't use an ECV or anything other than at Disney. I also don't generally go anywhere I have to walk for nearly as long as a day at WDW requires! At this point I feel like Disney is the only place I can vacation without problems or limits and I can keep up with my kids/family in the ECV. It's also possible to rent one and use it for the long distances but park it when you prefer to walk. I do this often depending on how my knees are holding up. I know from traveling with people who use a DAS that it wouldn't help the pain with my knees - lol! I'd be in misery in a few hours at best. Discuss your needs with guest relations and go from there.

Disney does not name specific disabilities that may “qualify” for DAS because it is not diagnosis-based but rather need-based. However they do state this:
“A Guest whose disability is based solely on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS.”
From here:
https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/.../wdw-disability-access-service_2015-04-30.pdfWhich is linked to from here on WDW’s website by clicking on Disability Access Service: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

The OP - and anyone else - is welcome to stop at Guest Relations to discuss your concerns for disability access. I suggest discussing needs unrelated to mobility or stamina concerns. However, I always recommend having a “Plan B” if DAS is not granted. Planning a whole vacation to be dependent on this one item that cannot be guaranteed would be poor planning.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for the response. I have seen the statement you quoted, but I was really looking to see if there was something more definitive on their website. I take the quoted statement as you don't need one just because you have a wheelchair (because of accessible lines), not you wont get one if you have a wheelchair for mobility issues. I have seen many posters say DAS "will not be granted for mobility/stamina issues", or as the poster above that I quoted "mobility issues do not qualify". So I was wondering if I missed it on the website. Thanks for the clarification!

The accommodation supplied by DAS is the ability to wait outside of the regular lines. It doesn’t shorten the wait, provide a place to sit inside or outside of lines or (in most cases) shorten the distance walked in the line.
Since DAS is for guests whose disabilities prevent them from waiting in the regular lines, that is what needs to be discussed with Guest Relations.
DAS is not needed to use a mobility device in lines/attractions.

My FIL and MIL came with us every year to WDW until the year he died. He had bad osteoarthritis in both knees and hips. Over the years, we saw his world at WDW shrink as his ability to move easily and without pain increased.
Our daughter has cerebral palsy (with other non-mobility related disabilities) and used GAC (Guest Assistance Card - the accommodation before DAS), so he could come with us and get in attractions in the easiest way. His last few trips to MK, he used the trolley car to get from the Main St hub to the Castle hub, then walked to Small World and Haunted Mansion. The rest of the day, he sat on a bench while the rest of us did things. He said he enjoyed sitting on benches and people watching, but we knew it was because that was all he was able to do. His day ended early, with pain killers and ice back at the resort from early evening until bed.
He tried to hide it, but we could all see his pain and it hurt us to know he was in pain and was not able to enjoy WDW with his family. We suggested an ECV and even rented one from an offsite company one year that he refused to use because he ‘didn‘t need it’.

A couple years before he died, he finally rented one at the park at Epcot.
Previously, he had walked in from the bus, then sat and rested, then walked thru Future World with a rest whenever he saw a bench, walked to the first Friendship boat dock in World Showcase (WS) and took the boat to the other part of WS and walked the area between the Italy dock (closed now?) and the dock near Morocco.

That trip when he finally rented an ECV was the first in years where he got all around WS and got to see everything he wanted to see. It was also the first time in years he had been able to stay at the park late enough to watch Illuminations.
He told us that night it was the first night in years that he had not ended exhausted and in pain by supper time. And, he said he could not believe how silly he had been to refuse to use one. He said wished he had used one the first time we had suggested, but since he didn’t use one every day, he hadn’t thought he was ‘disabled enough’.
After that, he rented an ECV at every park except MK (he felt there it was too busy and congested for him to feel comfortable driving there).

So much of your FIL story sounded like my DH. You go, I'll sit here. I can see the parade just fine from this bench 200 ft away . The nightly run for bags of ice for his knees. About 4 or 5 years ago, we started with wheelchairs in the park. A few years ago we started renting off site. This year he bought a rollator for use in airport. Having him enjoy the trips more, allows me to enjoy the trips more. This year with all the grandkids I encouraged (read nag) him to use the wheelchair boat for it's a small world. He hasn't been on it in years, Our DD was in the boat ahead and took pictures of the grandkids with him. He said he hasn't enjoyed the ride so much in ages.

So it's not so much that I want it as I do not want a chair, so if something other than DAS is available please share it but as these are the only 2 options and I don't want a chair, there isn't much more to it.
What do you need as accommodation?
As I understand it - you can’t stand for long, you can’t sit for long, and walking is also painful. That sounds like you need to change position frequently, alternating walking and sitting and standing for short bits each. Would benches in the queue be helpful?

So it's not so much that I want it as I do not want a chair, so if something other than DAS is available please share it but as these are the only 2 options and I don't want a chair, there isn't much more to it.
Disney has to provide a reasonable accommodation, not your preferred accommodation. There are simply too many people with mobility and stamina issues to allow them to use a DAS. That is why they have made the standby lines accessible for mobility devices.

Besides, even if you have the DAS, there are almost no places to sit an cool off or rest except for restaurants. And sometimes they reserve they Don’t allow people without food to sit isn’t he quick service restaurants. The benches they do have are usually full. So if you need to rest or sit, there is no guarantee you will find one nearby.

I think you are right - a Disney trip isn’t for you right now. But not because Disney is discriminating against, but because you are not ready to accept the tools available for you to help your trip be successful.

We understand that you don't want to use a chair, but that is Disney's solution/recommendation for stamina and mobility issues. Pretty much nobody does - but we don't typically walk six plus miles in a day.

You can see from @Starwind's (thanks for that, by the way!) post above that it could potentially take you FIVE HOURS to get to your first attraction. A DAS will not change or alleviate that in any way.

You don't want a chair or ECV? Have you discussed using a rollator?

Please really think about what you need say you get a DAS will you be able to walk to the ride get a return time, so try this at home go outside and walk 200 yeards then stand there for a few minutes because some times you will have to stand and wait to get your return time ( pick the average wait time in the park at the time so say 40 minutes -10 this is your wait time for the ride) now roll the dice If the number is 1 or 3 you have really good luck and you find a set right away and it is less then 100 feet away if it is a 2 you have ok luck and have to wait and walk abound for half your wait time to find a set. very bad luck you roll a 5 or 6 and you can not find a place to sit so you have to stand for the wait time. now can you then after you have walked 200 years walk some to find a set could not find a set so you had to stand for 30 minutes could you then walk back to the line and walk another 300 years ( some lines are a half-mile long) for the ride then do this all over again. As other have said the DAS will do nothing for you it will not give you a place to wait it will not give you a place to sit it will not help you at all. I get it you do not want to use a mobility device if you do not then do not plan on very short park days with 3 FP close together plan on taking the mini vans to the park so you know when you get to the park and they park closer for you plan on your 3 FP being in the same area of the park plan on being to tiered to do all 3 rides and plane on being in your hotel room resting or in pain if your are truely as bad as you say. It is really up to you to decied how you spend your money how you enjoy ( or do not enjoy) your vacation. Would you be this up about the DAS if it was called the alterenive stand pass becise that is what it is an alterenive place to stand nothing more nothing less

What is it exactly that you think the DAS is going to do? It's not going to get you on an attraction more quickly, it's not going to even get you on more attractions in a shorter period of time. While you can go on other attractions when waiting for your return time, how would you be able to even do that if waiting in a queue is not possible for you? There really aren't any places to sit near the attractions, so you'd have to be on your feet even more.

The accommodation supplied by DAS is the ability to wait outside of the regular lines. It doesn’t shorten the wait, provide a place to sit inside or outside of lines or (in most cases) shorten the distance walked in the line.
Waiting outside the line IS the accommodation.

Since DAS is for guests whose disabilities prevent them from waiting in the regular lines, that is what needs to be discussed with Guest Relations.
DAS is not needed to use a mobility device in lines/attractions because most lines are accessible.

I know you don't want a chair, but it's one of the best options for your situation. It will give you a place to sit when you need a rest. As mentioned, there aren't benches in the lines and there are very few benches in the parks anywhere nowadays. Also, you can walk and push the chair when you need to move. That flexibility is why so many people are suggesting it for you. Another option is a rollator. Like the wheelchair, you can use it to sit when you need to get off your feet and push it when you need to walk. The problem with a rollator is that if you are having one of your really bad days then it won't help as much with the long distances. If you rent an ECV, you don't have to ride it the whole time. You might ride it to a "land", then park it and walk to some of the attractions. If you are having a bad day and need it more, you can take it in line with you. Using a mobility device doesn't mean you are stuck in it for the whole day. It will give you the option of walking or getting off your feet.

Then you are depriving yourself and your family. Selfishly. I don’t want to use my chair either. But it’s that, or never leave my house again. it has been explained to you a dozen times what a DAS does and does not do. Disney is not required to give you a specific preference for accommodation. The one they offer not only meets ADA guidelines, it is the most efficient and most effective option for 99.98% of guests.

or, you could spend five times the cost of an ECV and book one of the private tours that offer FOTL access.

Even a private VIP tour requires walking - the very thing that is self-described as difficult by the OP.

my family does vip tours and we do more waking on tour days then our self guide days in Disney. Eg. Last visit our own days we averaged about 16k steps, our tour day 22k, the next day after the tour, 6000 hahah. We were so tired.

i’ve been at the parks with a DAS, honestly it does nothing to help with the walking, i didnt track it but unless you get your DAS and sit at the entrance your walking more then waiting in line. We got our DAS and then found something to kill time. It may have been a FastPass or wandering to get snacks or shopping, but it felt like more walking was involved. Just my personal experiences....

My son-in-law became disabled as a result of a workplace back injury. He doesn't use a wheelchair in day to day life but reluctantly agreed to use one when we went to Disney last month. He agreed it was the best decision he could have made for the trip. He's only 35 and I was his designated driver.

OP, I understand why you don't want to use a mobility device but based on the info you provided, I also don't believe that a Disney parks trip will work for you. It's not that Disney doesn't provide excellent support for disabled guests. Other than some inclines that were a bit challenging, the queue accessibility was great. No, I think the trip won't work for you because just getting to and from parking/bus stops into the parks is quite a long distance and the distances between attractions adds up to many miles a day. Even the length of some FP+ queues can be long and a challenge if you can't walk that much. If you can barely walk without pain, you'll never be able to handle even a short day in the parks.

Here's an idea. Go to your nearest mall and see how many hours you can walk and how many laps you cover before you have to stop for the day. That will help you decide if this trip is right for you.

Do you have systemic or just in, say your hands?

RA is a systemic disease and not "only" in a single set of joints. Hence DMARDS.

So basically, anyone with any kind of systemic RA issue needs to be ok with 1) exposing all medical details to someone at a desk after already paying and using admission 2) using a medical device they aren't prescribed or 3) they aren't welcome. Not one of my Dr's ever said it can be handled with a wheelchair, who is the Dr saying this because it's dismissive, unfair and untrue.

I don't see that on any commercials but I think the policy needs to be publicized, the policy isn't ok

Seems I was again mislead

You can definitely find their disability policy on the website.

You know, people keep throwing around using the scooter like its not big deal, well it is a big deal. I'm trying to live my life here and I don't need someone removing my choices for me. Nothing against chairs, I could end up in one and if it happens so be it, but these things have long lasting psycological impacts on people and their families, once my kids see me in one marking progression of disease that can't be undone. Don't you get that? Rheumatology and pharmas are making new medicines every day trying to give us all hope and keep us out of chairs with strong mobility and you are all like, nahhh - too much of a bother

I have RA. My RA was refractory and severe until we found the right treatment after years and years of trying and failing. I'm also a runner. I ran the marathon in 19. I injured a joint in my foot because the RA caused a different joint to be immobile. I had surgery in July and was NWB for 5 weeks. Week 6 we went to Disney. I rented a scooter. There was NO WAY we would've had the great vacation we had had I not. It is a tool available to be used and should be used accordingly. It wasn't a major expense (like around $275ish for 7-8 days). I could take it in lines or park it as I saw fit. The bus drivers are excellent at helping you park it on a bus. There is nothing wrong with using a scooter if need be.

I have RA... are you REALLY not going to go to the parks because you don't want to use an ECV? Sounds like an issue with pride to me. I'm truly sorry you are embarrassed or upset by the ECV. It makes our park trips doable and wonderful.
100% agree

OP-You may have to change the way you once did Disney but it doesn't mean you won't be able to have a great time. If your energy is sapped, head back to the resort an rest for a few then return. If the kids don't want to join you, that's ok you can meet up with them later. If you were sapped because you spent too much time in a line, take the scooter with you next time. There is nothing wrong with adapting to your current situation that *may* change. I get being upset, I do but being upset is a waste of valuable energy.

My son-in-law became disabled as a result of a workplace back injury. He doesn't use a wheelchair in day to day life but reluctantly agreed to use one when we went to Disney last month. He agreed it was the best decision he could have made for the trip. He's only 35 and I was his designated driver.

OP, I understand why you don't want to use a mobility device but based on the info you provided, I also don't believe that a Disney parks trip will work for you. It's not that Disney doesn't provide excellent support for disabled guests. Other than some inclines that were a bit challenging, the queue accessibility was great. No, I think the trip won't work for you because just getting to and from parking/bus stops into the parks is quite a long distance and the distances between attractions adds up to many miles a day. Even the length of some FP+ queues can be long and a challenge if you can't walk that much. If you can barely walk without pain, you'll never be able to handle even a short day in the parks.

Here's an idea. Go to your nearest mall and see how many hours you can walk and how many laps you cover before you have to stop for the day. That will help you decide if this trip is right for you.

We were shocked how long and steep the FP line into FOP is. And it seems more and more rides have the fp check in and then 2 or 3 holding pens before you get to ride.

Your idea of the mall. Note how many steps and how many times stop and rest periods are needed. As I mentioned before, my DH has used a wheelchair at disney for a number of years. Before that, we had our favorite benches . Alas those are gone, even the ones that made the honorable mention list are gone.

not end up humiliating themselves by uppacking medical info right before trying to have fun.

So basically, anyone with any kind of systemic RA issue needs to be ok with 1) exposing all medical details to someone at a desk after already paying and using admission 2) using a medical device they aren't prescribed or 3) they aren't welcome.
humiliating themselves how? It appears you refuse to comprehend "explain why your disability prevents or prohibits you from waiting in lines". NOBODY cares about your diagnosis, or your medical condition, or what your top doctors at the best hospital in the country recommend or support in your everyday life. We don't. The CMs at Guest Services don't.
having this process that is selectively granted to some but not me, that I is worded in a way to single me out to
policy that seems designed to exclude me
You seem to be taking this, what, over six year old, working policy change extremely personally.
This is an issue where a preexisting policy was ended to exclude the very group it was intended to help.
You seem to be under the misconception that this policy change applies to only you, or possibly all potential visitors with systemic RA.Y
No. It applies to every. single. guest. with mobility or stamina issues. And it works.
The accommodation supplied by DAS is the ability to wait outside of the regular lines. It doesn’t shorten the wait, provide a place to sit inside or outside of lines or (in most cases) shorten the distance walked in the line
OP still has not answered any of the posters asking how she thinks the DAS will help her. Also has not replied to any questions regarding getting to and through the tapstiles, or to any attraction once inside a park. Or between attractions :confused3

I'm a huge proponent of rollators, but like a PP indicated, a wheelchair seems like the best option for this OP.

I'm starting to think the OP wants Disney to provide a personal golf cart, drive her to each ride, through a "secret" entrance, directly onto each and every ride. I think the OP wants what the old pass provided - front of the line access, and I believe the OP got the incorrect info about it somewhere along the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!