DAS - Require ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true. However I believe PanchoX1 was specifically referring to the feeling of an imminent "blood sugar crash" and not regular stamina/fatigue/endurance challenges. A wheelchair or ECV won't directly help; opportunity to be outside the queue to eat a snack will help prevent low blood sugar, especially now with extended queues and snacking in the [indoor] queue is not allowed.

@PanchoX1 -- you'll get to know your signs, as will your family or those with whom you travel. At home if you find yourself having frequent episodes like you described, be sure to mention it to your doctor. Meds for T2 can take a period of time for adjusting the right product and dose. At WDW, just because you get a DAS does not mean you have to use it for all attractions, only when you may need it -- such as the time of day, meal schedule, need for snacks, etc. And definitely plan to test much more than usual; ask your medical provider to write your script for more frequent testing if necessary to make sure you have enough supplies.
[/QUOT
The latest statistics show 1-10 Americans have diabetes. Can you see the problem here if they start giving out disability cards for diabetics? Cause they might go low in a long line? 1-10 guests entering the park, and 5 of their family members all being routed to the fastpass lines? Does anyone think that scenario is sustainable?

Not every person with diabetes needs DAS, whether it’s type 1 or type 2. After all, on any given day, there are diabetics of both types working at WDW.
DAS is not diagnosis based; it‘s for people whose disability prevents them from waiting in the traditional lines. Someone whose diabetes Is well controlled might not need it

Not every person with diabetes needs DAS, whether it’s type 1 or type 2. After all, on any given day, there are diabetics of both types working at WDW.
DAS is not diagnosis based; it‘s for people whose disability prevents them from waiting in the traditional lines. Someone whose diabetes Is well controlled might not need it
And to add to that, every diabetic is different. While it might be controlled overall, some have up and down spikes no matter what they do and need the flexibility that a DAS would give them. This is precisely why as you say, it isn't based on diagnosis, but is based on needs. For example, diabetics aren't the only ones that can have these spikes, there are people that are Hypoglycemic, people with various types of cancer, etc. that can cause the spikes and have the same needs for a DAS with a completely different diagnosis. And in some cases they may not even be able to be fully controlled.

And to add to that, every diabetic is different. While it might be controlled overall, some have up and down spikes no matter what they do and need the flexibility that a DAS would give them. This is precisely why as you say, it isn't based on diagnosis, but is based on needs. For example, diabetics aren't the only ones that can have these spikes, there are people that are Hypoglycemic, people with various types of cancer, etc. that can cause the spikes and have the same needs for a DAS with a completely different diagnosis. And in some cases they may not even be able to be fully controlled.
And again you are looking at the system crashing with so many people trying to use it. Anyone could come up with a reason the das would make their trip better. At some point you reach saturation. The fast pass line becomes the das line, because there simply won't be room left in the day to fit the non das customers

And again you are looking at the system crashing with so many people trying to use it. Anyone could come up with a reason the das would make their trip better. At some point you reach saturation. The fast pass line becomes the das line, because there simply won't be room left in the day to fit the non das customers
It seems you are generally against the DAS system for some reason, especially if you don't agree with the reason someone is asking for it.

Luckily for those that do need it, that is a conversation between them and guest relations to determine the most appropriate option.

But there is a reason it is there and the reality is there hasn't been this dreaded saturation yet. Admittedly, that did happen under the old system, but the new system has enough checks and balances to prevent it.

Yes, there have been some adjustments made to those since the DAS was introduced. If it becomes an issue, I am sure more adjustments will be made if necessary.

And just because you and I don't see those checks and balances in action in front of our eyes doesn't mean they don't exist.

Your description of such wild fast changes would make me fear even going on a ride, driving a car, or getting on a plane.
I hope for her sake a way to manage her condition is found. It must be miserable to never know if standing in line at the grocery store could lead to a blood sugar crash requiring emergency medical attention. I know CGM have a bit of a lag to real time numbers, but has she tried one?

I hear your sarcasm. Not sure why you feel it is necessary. I wouldn't wish being a brittle diabetic on anyone and I offer zero apologies for my daughter's needs. I will do whatever I need to do to make sure she can enjoy the parks. CGMs are great and she does have one; it's part of the reason why I can sleep more than four hours a night sometimes. Consider yourself blessed to have the luxury of being dismissive of those who could medically benefit from the aid a DAS pass offers. Whatever happened to scrolling by if you don't agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter