Daughter Turning 3

DizMomAndWife

Mouseketeer
I know the rules is: if the child is 2 when they check in, they are '2' the entire time. We're checking in 2 days before her birthday, so I'm not concerned with anything with check in or park tickets.
My question is about dining. We have ADR for Akershus the night of her birthday and I want to make a big deal out of it. She'll have her Birthday Princess shirt on and birthday button. I'm also going to see if they will bring out a cupcake for her.
If I make a big deal about her turning 3, will they then make me pay for her meal? We're on the DP and just planned to let her eat from our plates.
Also, has anyone had any issues when going into the park with a child that just turned 3? We have one more park day after her birthday.
Thanks in advance!

I was reading about this on the Disney MomPanel because our DD is turning 10 next year. From what I understand, the "2 at check in = 2 entire time" goes for dining as well. Granted, that's assuming you're on the dining plan so you've already paid in advance with that age assumption. It might be different if you're paying out of pocket.

I know the rules is: if the child is 2 when they check in, they are '2' the entire time. We're checking in 2 days before her birthday, so I'm not concerned with anything with check in or park tickets.
My question is about dining. We have ADR for Akershus the night of her birthday and I want to make a big deal out of it. She'll have her Birthday Princess shirt on and birthday button. I'm also going to see if they will bring out a cupcake for her.
If I make a big deal about her turning 3, will they then make me pay for her meal? We're on the DP and just planned to let her eat from our plates.
Also, has anyone had any issues when going into the park with a child that just turned 3? We have one more park day after her birthday.
Thanks in advance!

We did this exact thing for my DD's 3rd Birthday at Crystal Palace. We were not charged for her.

As for the second part, it's honor system. In the 11 days we were at WDW with my newly turned 3 year old only 1 CM ever questioned her age, and she was pretty nasty about it. She asked my daughter her age and then I explained she turned 3 during the trip and she said "WOW -- you're REALLY BIG for a 3 year old!!" Which was hysterical because my daughter has been tiny from the get go. On that trip she wasn't even tall enough for 7DMT (lots of tears over that!). But, there's nothing they can do really. They aren't going to require birth certificates or anything.

My daughter had her 3rd birthday dinner at Akershus as well.
Don't stress, they are very used to the "2 years old the entire time" rule. You will not be charged :)

I just got home from a trip for my son's 3rd birthday. We arrived when he was still 2 to take advantage of this policy. We were charged for his birthday meal at Garden Grill, and questioned at Crystal Palace. So there's just no telling what you may get.

We did a trip where my son turned 3 earlier this year and had no issues. We had notes on our dining reservations that we were celebrating his birthday, and we were never questioned or charged (when we made the ADRs, he automatically came up as two).

We also went to the parks later in the trip right after he turned three and had no issues. One time a cast member at the entrance asked when his birthday was (he had on a birthday pin and the cast member was just trying to be nice), so I simply said "later in our trip." It was technically true, and it allowed me to avoid any possible issues with cast members, even though the official policy is you don't age at Disney.

And then the next trip we bought him an AP.

I was reading about this on the Disney MomPanel because our DD is turning 10 next year. From what I understand, the "2 at check in = 2 entire time" goes for dining as well. Granted, that's assuming you're on the dining plan so you've already paid in advance with that age assumption. It might be different if you're paying out of pocket.

Thank you! We are on the dining plan, I was hoping that would help.

We did this exact thing for my DD's 3rd Birthday at Crystal Palace. We were not charged for her.

As for the second part, it's honor system. In the 11 days we were at WDW with my newly turned 3 year old only 1 CM ever questioned her age, and she was pretty nasty about it. She asked my daughter her age and then I explained she turned 3 during the trip and she said "WOW -- you're REALLY BIG for a 3 year old!!" Which was hysterical because my daughter has been tiny from the get go. On that trip she wasn't even tall enough for 7DMT (lots of tears over that!). But, there's nothing they can do really. They aren't going to require birth certificates or anything.

Thank you! Goodness! Ha! I bet they have people try to cheat often, which doesn't make it easier for those of us telling the truth!

My daughter had her 3rd birthday dinner at Akershus as well.
Don't stress, they are very used to the "2 years old the entire time" rule. You will not be charged :)
Great! Thank you! Did they help you celebrate at all?

I just got home from a trip for my son's 3rd birthday. We arrived when he was still 2 to take advantage of this policy. We were charged for his birthday meal at Garden Grill, and questioned at Crystal Palace. So there's just no telling what you may get.
Ph goodness! It seems you may be in the minority. We'll be prepared. I hope you had a great trip!

We did a trip where my son turned 3 earlier this year and had no issues. We had notes on our dining reservations that we were celebrating his birthday, and we were never questioned or charged (when we made the ADRs, he automatically came up as two).

We also went to the parks later in the trip right after he turned three and had no issues. One time a cast member at the entrance asked when his birthday was (he had on a birthday pin and the cast member was just trying to be nice), so I simply said "later in our trip." It was technically true, and it allowed me to avoid any possible issues with cast members, even though the official policy is you don't age at Disney.

And then the next trip we bought him an AP.
Smart! DD was obviously 2 when we made the ADRs, so I'm hoping this is the case for us as well. Thank you!

Hopefully you escalated the matter at Garden Grill. You shouldn’t have had to pay for that.

Hopefully you escalated the matter at Garden Grill. You shouldn’t have had to pay for that.
I started to, then just let it be. We were running behind for Illuminations (very slow waiter who seemed to think we should just wait until show time to head over), so I just figured maybe that was the new policy. Didn't argue since technically he was 3 at the meal.

That aside, the food at Garden Grill was amazing and good character interactions.

Great! Thank you! Did they help you celebrate at all?

Well, the princesses were very good interacting and telling her Happy Birthday. She was covered in kiss marks from Snow White (she was wearing a snow white dress), and she held Snow White's hand and led the princess parade.
They brought a birthday dessert for her, no candles or anything, but it had gummy bears on it, so she loved it.
Oh and we were on the dining plan as well, they won't charge you for any meal for her, she's not counted on your dining plan. It really makes it easier, you don't have to really explain anything. Just know that she can't get kids meals, she has to eat from your plates.

That aside, the food at Garden Grill was amazing and good character interactions.
We LOVE GG! Always have great interactions!

Well, the princesses were very good interacting and telling her Happy Birthday. She was covered in kiss marks from Snow White (she was wearing a snow white dress), and she held Snow White's hand and led the princess parade.
They brought a birthday dessert for her, no candles or anything, but it had gummy bears on it, so she loved it.
Oh and we were on the dining plan as well, they won't charge you for any meal for her, she's not counted on your dining plan. It really makes it easier, you don't have to really explain anything. Just know that she can't get kids meals, she has to eat from your plates.
Great info, thank you so much!

My understanding is as most of the posters above - even when celebrating the 3rd birthday, if they're 2 at the start of the trip, they're 2 for all purposes for the trip. Sorry for the PP who got questioned. That is so not cool.

We went the week before ODD turned 3, and even though we told the servers at CRT that she was under 3, they let her order a dinner and drink on her own and were nothing but kind. I think on a few non-buffet meals, we ordered a kids meal for her and they didn't charge for it, even when we pointed out that we should be paying (always do OOP, no dining plan). But, I look at those as pixie dust, not something to expect.

Also, we had ODD wear her pin all week, and got a few paper FP, lots of "Happy Birthday, princess!" from CMs and guests, and got to cut the line at Kali River Rapids and ride 2x without having to get out.

Last trip was DH's birthday, and these musicians waylaid us on the path to Pandora and sang happy birthday to him.

Also, we had ODD wear her pin all week, and got a few paper FP, lots of "Happy Birthday, princess!" from CMs and guests, and got to cut the line at Kali River Rapids and ride 2x without having to get out.

Last trip was DH's birthday, and these musicians waylaid us on the path to Pandora and sang happy birthday to him.

I was wondering about the buttons! Did you have any trouble getting her in for free when she was wearing it?

I was wondering about the buttons! Did you have any trouble getting her in for free when she was wearing it?
No - she had a Magic Band, but didn't have to scan it since she was free. I don't think we had anyone question her on her age. I really wouldn't worry about it. They are the age they are when your trip starts.

We only had an issue once and that was on the day of his actual birthday getting in to MK. We had no problems the rest of the week. DH was pushing him through and stopped to scan DH magic band. The CM working asked how old our son was and DH said 3...the CM insisted he had to have a ticket. We got pulled to the side and asked a bunch of questions. I stated that we were staying on-site and that when booking the reservation, the CM had informed me we wouldn't need a ticket. There was a couple minutes where I actually thought we were going to have to go back to the TTC or where ever and purchase him a ticket. But she eventually let us on through and we made it to our PPO BOG just in time. We had a reservation at CRT for his birthday dinner that night and after our morning experience, we kept our mouth shut about his birthday bc I was not wanting to pay $70 for my kid to eat! lol I shouldn't have worried though, bc our waiter was super nice and even brought him out a plate to match his sisters without asking. We made sure to tip him well and considered it a bit of unexpected pixie dust! I really don't think you will have any problems, but I would be prepared just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts