DCA Food & Wine 2020 Festival Superthread - Read First Post for Updates - Updated with Full Menus

Nice review. So how much did they actually give you to eat? Was it just what you made during the second part or were there some samples along the way?

Sadly just what you make. A missed opportunity if you ask me.

How much do tasting portions at Paradise Garden Grill cost? I feel like I read it's half the price of the normal item....

Sadly just what you make. A missed opportunity if you ask me.
Thanks for the response. I'll stick with my decision to skip this event. I did sign up for the D23 event next Thursday where they will be giving us samples of some items but it's $175. I'm used to having a lot of special event options at the WDW Festival so I'm bummed that there really isn't anything else going on other than the $25 seminars & 2 culinary demos while I'm there. Still haven't decided if I will attend any of the $25 seminars next weekend. I'm afraid to book them ahead of time in case I manage to get a Boarding Group for ROTR.

Are the individual wine pours at the booths a normal pour like at least 6 oz. or are they smaller? I know people have said the Wine & Mimosa sampler flights are quite stingy. Trying to decide if it's worth overpaying for individual pours of any of the few I'm interested in trying.

Looking forward to that chicken/waffle sandwich!

Ugh, it was so bad. My son and I had one each today. First of all, its thigh meat. My piece was FULL of chewy, slimy inedible bits. I don't mind thigh meat in general, but this was just bottom of the barrel quality. My son's piece was better quality than mine, but not by much. The breading has an odd spice in it...perhaps tarragon? It needed salt. The slaw was tasteless. The waffle was also completely soggy and void of any flavor whatsoever. My son even commented "the waffle doesn't taste like anything." The only good thing about it were the OJ boba balls, which were delightful. This was a SUPER disappointing item.

I really enjoyed the cheddar soup in the bread bowl and the berry bread pudding. Those were great!

My son had the Pabana Cream puff and that was a winner as well, although the cream puff was quite soggy. It is supposed to have a crispy top shell.

My other son had the Mickey Macaron and HOLY COW was that good! Tasted like either a snickers bar or a Reese's PB cup.

Ugh, it was so bad. My son and I had one each today. First of all, its thigh meat. My piece was FULL of chewy, slimy inedible bits. I don't mind thigh meat in general, but this was just bottom of the barrel quality. My son's piece was better quality than mine, but not by much. The breading has an odd spice in it...perhaps tarragon? It needed salt. The slaw was tasteless. The waffle was also completely soggy and void of any flavor whatsoever. My son even commented "the waffle doesn't taste like anything." The only good thing about it were the OJ boba balls, which were delightful. This was a SUPER disappointing item.
----
My other son had the Mickey Macaron and HOLY COW was that good! Tasted like either a snickers bar or a Reese's PB cup.
Totally agree with the chicken/waffle sandwich and macaron. The chicken was cold, the waffle was hard as a rock, and the slaw was tasteless. The OJ balls were the only good part. The macaron was amazingly delicious. The two of us couldn't quite finish it, though. It was very rich.

Okay, so far I've read almost all thumbs down reviews on the Chicken & Waffle sandwich. One person posted a thumbs up. Not exactly enough to persuade me. Especially when there are plenty of other places in L.A. to get chicken and waffles which are hot, tasty, and not soggy. The macaron will be on our list -- everyone likes that one!

Okay, so far I've read almost all thumbs down reviews on the Chicken & Waffle sandwich. One person posted a thumbs up. Not exactly enough to persuade me. Especially when there are plenty of other places in L.A. to get chicken and waffles which are hot, tasty, and not soggy. The macaron will be on our list -- everyone likes that one!
If you somehow end up trying it. Don't waste a tab on it! lol Pay for it out of pocket instead.

I really enjoyed the cheddar soup in the bread bowl and the berry bread pudding. Those were great!

My son had the Pabana Cream puff and that was a winner as well, although the cream puff was quite soggy. It is supposed to have a crispy top shell.

Oh bummer–thanks for the warning!

Just got back from this year's F&W Festival, so wanted to share some thoughts:
  • The construction on Avengers Campus has caused massive congestion along the festival main drag -- and likely why there was one less marketplace this year. This could have been easily avoided by placing more booths back in Hollywood Land or a couple of more in the Grizzly Peak area. Looking forward to a clear pathway next year.
  • Booth spotlight: Avocado Time. Everything here, including the mezcal cocktail, was phenomenal.
  • I wrote a review in this thread, but the culinary tour was a delight and worth trying -- but would benefit from some food samples throughout.
  • Food highlights for me: Impossible Cheeseburger Mac & Cheese, all food at Avocado Time, French Onion Grilled Beef Tenderloin Slider (this seems to be a favorite of cast members we talked to), and Brunch Fried Chicken & Waffle Sandwich (I KNOW folks here have not been impressed, but I enjoyed it -- and the OJ boba bubbles added some nice flavors).
  • Food lowlights for me: Pepperoni Pizza Egg Rolls (loved last year, but tasted like Totino's this year), Smoked Bacon Barbecue Beef Loco Moco, and Carbonara Garlic Mac & Cheese (so disappointing).
  • If you're an AP, it is very easy to make the Sip & Savor Pass worth it (at $51) this year! I remember the first year they brought it out you actually lost money until Disney adjusted the price.
  • Did one wine seminar and one mixology seminar. Seeing a lot of repeat wineries/breweries from previous years so limited on what was new. Disney Sommelier seminar was a delight again (with Christina) and mixology continues to be enjoyable.

For people who want to bring the sounds of the DCA F&W into their home, I managed to capture the newly updated music loop listed below (in alphabetical order).

I also added it as a shared playlist in Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/us/playlist...re-food-wine-festival-2020/pl.u-qxylldYt6rXXE
  • 101 - Walla
  • Anywhere You Want to Go - Santana
  • Breaking Down the Door (feat. Buika) - Santana
  • California - Big & Rich
  • California - Delta Spirit
  • California - Laurie Antonioli
  • California Dreamin - Freischwimmer
  • California Love (feat. Roger Troutman & Dr. Dre) - 2Pac (DCA only plays the first 45 seconds of the track in the park)
  • California Soul (Diplo/Mad Decent Remix) - Marlena Shaw
  • Con Sabor Latino - Poncho Sanchez
  • Do You Know the Way to San Jose (Dionne Sing Dionne version) - Dionne Warwick
  • The Getaway - Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • La Bamba (feat. Slightly Stoopid) - Ozomatli
  • Land of 1000 Dances (feat. Glove & Chali 2na) - Ozomatli
  • Malibu - Miley Cyrus
  • Poquito Para Aqui - Los Lobos
  • Queen of California - John Mayer
  • Questions (feat. Jakob Dylan & Eric Clapton) - Echo in the Canyon
  • Settle Down - No Doubt
  • Show You the Way (feat. Michael McDonald & Kenny Loggins) - Thundercat
  • Sunshine - Matisyahu
  • Sunshine - POWERS
  • Then There Were Two - Mark Ronson & Anderson .Paak
  • Uneventful Days (St. Vincent Remix) - Beck & St. Vincent
  • West Coast Love - Emotional Oranges
  • West Coast Poplock - Ronnie Hudson
  • Where Would I Be? - Gwen Stefani
  • The Wire - HAIM

For people who want to bring the sounds of the DCA F&W into their home, I managed to capture the newly updated music loop listed below (in alphabetical order).

I also added it as a shared playlist in Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/us/playlist...re-food-wine-festival-2020/pl.u-qxylldYt6rXXE
  • 101 - Walla
  • Anywhere You Want to Go - Santana
  • Breaking Down the Door (feat. Buika) - Santana
  • California - Big & Rich
  • California - Delta Spirit
  • California - Laurie Antonioli
  • California Dreamin - Freischwimmer
  • California Love (feat. Roger Troutman & Dr. Dre) - 2Pac (DCA only plays the first 45 seconds of the track in the park)
  • California Soul (Diplo/Mad Decent Remix) - Marlena Shaw
  • Con Sabor Latino - Poncho Sanchez
  • Do You Know the Way to San Jose (Dionne Sing Dionne version) - Dionne Warwick
  • The Getaway - Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • La Bamba (feat. Slightly Stoopid) - Ozomatli
  • Land of 1000 Dances (feat. Glove & Chali 2na) - Ozomatli
  • Malibu - Miley Cyrus
  • Poquito Para Aqui - Los Lobos
  • Queen of California - John Mayer
  • Questions (feat. Jakob Dylan & Eric Clapton) - Echo in the Canyon
  • Settle Down - No Doubt
  • Show You the Way (feat. Michael McDonald & Kenny Loggins) - Thundercat
  • Sunshine - Matisyahu
  • Sunshine - POWERS
  • Then There Were Two - Mark Ronson & Anderson .Paak
  • Uneventful Days (St. Vincent Remix) - Beck & St. Vincent
  • West Coast Love - Emotional Oranges
  • West Coast Poplock - Ronnie Hudson
  • Where Would I Be? - Gwen Stefani
  • The Wire - HAIM
Thank you so much for doing this and for the detailed F&W review! Very helpful!

Anyone book seminars during the closed time? I’ve got 2 seminars booked in April going down the drain if the closure is extended so I’m wondering how Disney is handling refunds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter