DCL and their dragged out cancellations...

A few more cancellation announcements have been made today.
Carnival has followed RCCL and canceled through 5/11 as well. I expect DCL to make their announcement any day now. It will sadly affect my cruise but I've known it wasn't happening for a few weeks now. I look forward to my next cruise....whenever that will be.

Carnival has followed RCCL and canceled through 5/11 as well. I expect DCL to make their announcement any day now. It will sadly affect my cruise but I've known it wasn't happening for a few weeks now. I look forward to my next cruise....whenever that will be.

Disney made their announcement. Cruises through 4/28 are cancelled.

If you want to cancel, cancel; however, you need to do so without the expectation that this is going to be a payday for you in terms of 25-50% in credit over what you've already paid. If you're on a cruise that is supposed to depart Vancouver before the current moratorium ends, cancel it or wait for DCL to do so, but do it knowing that all they owe you is what you've paid, and not another dime beyond.
I have no interest in anything extra, and I would be most happy to cancel our Vancouver to Hawaii cruise and take a full cash refund of what we’ve paid. However, at this time, all DCL is offering us is a 50% refund if we cancel, and that drops to only 25% after tomorrow (29 days prior to sail date). Another two weeks and refund then drops to zero. What does DCL hope to do with the two Hawaii cruises that they haven’t been included in the latest round of cancellations? The ship won’t be in Vancouver no matter what.

I have no interest in anything extra, and I would be most happy to cancel our Vancouver to Hawaii cruise and take a full cash refund of what we’ve paid. However, at this time, all DCL is offering us is a 50% refund if we cancel, and that drops to only 25% after tomorrow (29 days prior to sail date). Another two weeks and refund then drops to zero. What does DCL hope to do with the two Hawaii cruises that they haven’t been included in the latest round of cancellations? The ship won’t be in Vancouver no matter what.
I think that the initial round of Med/Greek Isles cruises are in the same boat (pardon the pun)...

Feeling cynical today and it just occurred to me--do you think maybe DCL is holding out for the end of the fiscal quarter so they can "spread out" their losses from refunds over two quarters? Wondering if we might see a new cancellation announcement on April 1...
No, all payments made for any cruise are just booked as liabilities. The revenue doesn't get recognized until the sailing. Refunds would just reduce the liabilities.

As for holding off canceling cruises, once that decision has been made, it is done. If events change that would have allowed the cruise, it cannot be reinstated. Not playing chicken with us, it is giving every opportunity for the cruise before canceling it. Should things start to clear up mid April, Canada could reopen the ports for the Alaska sailings and we get to go one with life and this crisis behind us. But if it doesn't then the cruises can still be cancelled.

The Hawaii and Alaska cruises still being dragged out is a joke. They literally cannot happen. The closed border US-Canada, the closed Canadian ports (including Vancouver!), Seattle being closed, Hawaii having quarantine orders, the PVSA precluding changing the secondary port for Hawaii to something in California, California ports being closed anyway...

The Hawaii and Alaska cruises still being dragged out is a joke. They literally cannot happen. The closed border US-Canada, the closed Canadian ports (including Vancouver!), Seattle being closed, Hawaii having quarantine orders, the PVSA precluding changing the secondary port for Hawaii to something in California, California ports being closed anyway...
I'd include the EBTA and the June/Early July Med sailings as well...

I got flamed in another thread for saying this, but the world is trying to get through the next few weeks, not sure how any reasonable person can expect DCL to make decisions today when they have no idea what the situation will be happening 4 months from now.
This a true. We are in a holding pattern right now. You can look at predictions, but we just don't know.

I'd include the EBTA and the June/Early July Med sailings as well...

Agree. There's not a med port that will be accepting ships in June/July, possibly all summer. And even if they are, as "dream cruises!" go this is unlikely to provide value for cost.

Folks, it's safe to say that the 4/28 date is a carefully selected date.

Think about it. 4/29 is the first sailing originating in Vancouver....as soon as they kill that sailing, every cruiser on a Wonder sailing between 4/29 - 7/1 will call DCL and melt their phone lines. Same goes for if DCL extended their cancelations 30 days (like RCCL). That would have taken out the EBTA (which sails on 5/11). As soon as they did that, everyone sailing a med cruise would have called DCL and...melted the phone lines. So the problem for DCL, is that they logistically couldn't have canceled things much beyond 4/28, without severely impacting their ability to process cancelations for the most immediate cruises sailing in mid-late April. Had DCL done what RCCL had done...that would have called into question every Wonder cruise through 7/1 and every Magic cruise through 7/25.

I fully expect DCL will make a separate announcement impacting the Vancouver cruises next....and after that, the mediterranean cruises. As much as I am piping mad at DCL for not getting on top of this faster (as I am on one of those mediterranean cruises and I need to start canceling things before these companies default), they will unspool these cancelations as slowly as they can, to avoid preventing the cruise operations from falling apart.

I am in limbo right now and it's becoming frustrating. I am booked on the 5/23 cruise. I have resort stays for a few days before and after the cruise. My DH and I picked a tentative new cruise if ours gets cancelled, but it is $1,600 less than our current cruise. So, I can't just move my cruise right now because I won't use $1,600 in shipboard credit on the new cruise. I can't move my resort stays to the new promotion they are offering before or after because my cruise hasn't been cancelled yet. I can't make fastpasses or tweak my dining because WDW has locked down all reservations before 6/1. Just very frustrating. I'm afraid by the time they get around to cancelling my cruise the hotel rooms will be picked over.

I just wish they had their dates for DCL and the dates for WDW matched up.

Last edited:
All I want is confirmation that everyone who moves their sail date will get the 25% credit applied towards their new sailing if the original sailing gets canceled. They did it after-the-fact for the first round of cancellations, but I haven't seen anything yet for this round. I'm sitting on an early May reservation that can't possibly still happen, but I'm holding out for the possibility of an extra $600 towards my rebooking.

All I want is to cancel my Jun 1 Alaska cruise. I do not want Disney to guess for me that it is safe to go on a cruise ship. I do not want to go out of another port. I do not want to go on another itinerary. I do not want any credit for another cruise next year. This was for a graduation present for my kids, well they will be working next year. There is no way for my husband and me to use up $15K on a new cruise. I would never waste money on Concierge. Honestly, I could just use the money now. Sigh, this whole situation just makes me cranky :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!