DDP+ exposes rift of value vs DXDP

havoc315

DIS Veteran
With about $40 separating the DDP and the DXDP, most people didn't do detailed breakdown comparisons, since the DXDP is "much more food" and "much more expensive."

But now that there is the in-between DDP+, the differences in value are really exposed.
What I mean -- For someone who uses the DDP basically as intended, it's a break-even to small savings outcome. (A maximizer could save a bit more). Someone who uses the DxDP basically as intended, can do must better than break even.

I've seen some conflicting information about whether the other plans have increased in pricing, but the pricing is now approximately:
QsDP - $56
DDP - $79
DDP+ - $96
DxDP - $120

All plans have the refillable mug -- Let's call that a $3 per day value. All plans have 2 snacks, let's call that $10 per day value.
So we can subtract $13 from each plan, to get the value of included "meals."

QSDP is charging 2 QS meals at $21.50 per meal.
DDP is taking those meals and upgrading 1 of them to TS. So let's call it $21 for QS, and $45 for TS. Paying an extra $23 to upgrade 1 of your QS meals to a TS meal.
DDP+ -- Charges another $17 to upgrade your second meal, to also be TS. So now, they are charging you $41.50 per TS meal. So if you really use all your credits for TS restaurants, you have the potential to save more than the DDP. BUT -- Figured into their math, if you have 2 TS credits, you are more likely to use some of them for CS anyway, or for a signature restaurant, or for breakfast, or for some smaller TS meals (as opposed to if you were just eating 1 TS meal per day). Any of those uses would result in reduced value. In other words, Disney assumes (probably rightfully) that you won't be getting the same value out of your credits as just doing 1 TS per day.

But for just $26 more -- You are adding a whole other meal (either TS or CS), plus you are adding appetizers to your already existing TS meals.
You're now paying only $36 per meal -- Plus getting an appetizer during the meals.
Let's say you do 2 1-credit TS restaurants plus 1 QS. Under the DDP and DDP+, it is assuming a $40 to $45 value on those meals, but you are now adding an appetizer. So those 2 meals are now more like $45 to $55 meal.s And assume QS is still $21. So that's value of $124 to $144 -- Significant savings.
Let's say you did 1 signature plus 1 regular TS -- Assuming that $45 to $55 value for the 1 credit, the signature with an appetizer is easily $70-$80+... So a daily value of $128-148+
And obviously if you do 3 TS meals per day, you'll really maximize: Breakfast range from $20 (ala carte restaurants) to $42 (buffets), lunch and dinner ranging from $35 to $70, but usually in that $45 to $55 range)... for a total of $103 to $195. (the low end would be skipping all alcohol and eating all your meals at the Plaza).

Now, the DxDP is still not for everyone. I did it once.... I probably wouldn't do it again unless it was a short adult only trip. But then again, none of the current dining plans are really for me.

I'm just saying if you are actually going to use the credits, the DxDP can present a much better value than the other plans.
And *IF* I was considering the DDP+.... I'd probably then also be considering the DxDP.
If you want 2 table meals per day... Might be nice to do 1 regular table meal per day, and 1 signature per day.

On the other hand, if I really only wanted to do 1 TS per day most days... but I am doing a bit more TS, so I'm a few credits short -- I'd probably stick to the regular DDP and pay for cheaper meals OOP. Not worth it to upgrade from the DDP to the DDP+ just because you're a couple of credits short.

For some people, the DDP+ may indeed be perfect. If you are doing a character breakfast plus large 1-credit dinner, every day, then the DDP+ may be perfect. But for most other people, I actually think they are better served with either the DDP or the DxDP.

It’s a simple math exercise. Where and what do you want to eat? Once you plan on what you really really want to eat vs planning to a dp, then see if anything works

you have to know what kind of diner you are too.

the plans serve a very good purpose. And just like everything else Disney, it might not be for you

• dme
  • fast passes
  • dining plan
  • hopper tickets
  • water parks and nore
  • buffets
  • signature fine dining

Honestly there is no value if its too much food or you view it as too much wasted time.

Instead those people should look at it like upgrading the normal dining plan for $17 to get 2 TS credits. You now can do those signatures or extra character meals. Then pay out of pocket if you want something from quick service.

Otherwise what if they came out with 4 TS meals for $120 that would be an even better deal. 5 TS for $138 anyone? You get where I am going with this. It seems outlandish but having 3 TS credits is already outlandish to some people.

Honestly there is no value if its too much food or you view it as too much wasted time.

Instead those people should look at it like upgrading the normal dining plan for $17 to get 2 TS credits. You now can do those signatures or extra character meals. Then pay out of pocket if you want something from quick service.

Otherwise what if they came out with 4 TS meals for $120 that would be an even better deal. 5 TS for $138 anyone? You get where I am going with this. It seems outlandish but having 3 TS credits is already outlandish to some people.

Which is exactly why I emphasized: "I'm just saying if you are actually going to use the credits, the DxDP can present a much better value than the other plans. "

A 5 credit plan would be great -- If someone was actually going to do 3 meals per day, 2 of which are signature. (they actually kind of use to have a plan like this -- the platinum plan).

None of the plans have value if you aren't going to use all the credits.

And you are assuming people who buy plus dining plan would still eat at counter service. Why wouldn’t they just buy regular plan then? Not me - the reason I’m considering plus is because I don’t like counter service so I will do the math and see if it’s for us next year.

Wer have historically done the regular dining plan and it has worked well for us--snack for breakfast, CS lunch, TS dinner. We have been planning the deluxe plan for our anniversary trip because we want to have a breakfast every day and are looking at a lot of signature dining for dinner. If we weren't looking at signature dining, I would be all over the new plan and that is probably where we will go for other trips. I really like the idea of doing a TS breakfast and Dinner and either snacks or OOP for lunch.

And you are assuming people who buy plus dining plan would still eat at counter service. Why wouldn’t they just buy regular plan then? Not me - the reason I’m considering plus is because I don’t like counter service so I will do the math and see if it’s for us next year.

??? I made no such assumption. I said that it’s likely many people would use some of the credits for CS or signature or breakfast or cheaper TS meals. CS was just 1 possibility on the long list of ways that reduce the value.
I tend to assume (and the American Heart Association would hope) that most people aren’t ordering the biggest steak twice per day.

When we went last summer, we tried the DDP and enjoyed it for the first few days. After about 4 days, we started to realize that it was too much food. We had 5 nights on the plan, and 6 full days at WDW, so we used all our credits save some of the snack credits. However, we didn’t eat dessert with all our meals. We did have drinks (adult beverages) at many lunch and every dinner meal. We ate at one character buffet. So moneywise, we made out better with the plan than without it based on what we ordered. We probably would have even LESS food though had we paid out of pocket, especially on days 4-6 when we were eating because we had to use the credits more so than because we were hungry. We did eat one meal off-property.

We’re going to visit the in-laws at Christmas and spending 3 nights, 4 full days at WDW. Our agenda is to experience Christmas sites more so than do rides and attractions. We’ll have time for more lengthy meals and I’m going to have to number crunch our shorter trip and the new DDP+ to see if it makes sense.

I'm strongly considering doing the new plan bc my kids are still in the character meal phase... we can do a late breakfast (10:30ish) with characters most days and an early dinner (4:30ish) with or without characters and I think we'd come out ahead.... I have to do the math.

I'm strongly considering doing the new plan bc my kids are still in the character meal phase... we can do a late breakfast (10:30ish) with characters most days and an early dinner (4:30ish) with or without characters and I think we'd come out ahead.... I have to do the math.

A character meal breakfast + TS dinner, if done every night or almost every night, is a use that would likely benefit from the new plan. Especially if you’re doing alcohol and dessert at dinner.

I agree with the OP 100%, and was doing the same math. We've enjoyed both the DP and the DXDP on different trips. When using the DP we pay for extra TS meals and breakfast OOP and end up scrambling to use up our CS credits on the last day. We do FD and upgrade, so the new DP+ seems very interesting... but...for just a little bit more we can have apps & do many more signature meals. I called to get the prices to upgrade on day 1 & CM said no DP+ for FD upgrades. I also worry that Disney will raise the prices, as they often do, to the point where it will not make financial sense.

Sharing credits really ups the value of the Dx Dining- *IF* we are still allowed to do so. We have two rooms booked. -Two adults and kids ages 17, 14. 9 and 8. - so our current plan is to put two "disney adults" and one child in each room - put DxDP on one room and share. Otherwise, it is WAY too much food for us!

Len Testa of Touring Plans ran the numbers and he claims that as soon you use one TS credit for QS you start losing money. H things it only makes sense if you eat all character meals.

Len Testa of Touring Plans ran the numbers and he claims that as soon you use one TS credit for QS you start losing money. H things it only makes sense if you eat all character meals.

Yes but.... If you have a 10 day trip with 20 credits, and you do 19 character meals and 1 QS, it will still be a big savings. But any use of QS makes it very difficult for that particular "day" to be a savings day.
If you were doing a 7 day trip and plans 10 TS meals and 4 CS... it would almost certainly be a losing proposition. But would likely still be savings with 12 TS and 2 CS (depending exactly which TS and which CS).

Yes but.... If you have a 10 day trip with 20 credits, and you do 19 character meals and 1 QS, it will still be a big savings. But any use of QS makes it very difficult for that particular "day" to be a savings day.
If you were doing a 7 day trip and plans 10 TS meals and 4 CS... it would almost certainly be a losing proposition. But would likely still be savings with 12 TS and 2 CS (depending exactly which TS and which CS).
Yep, it seems character meals make up the difference.

We have been going every year for 12 years. We love the deluxe dining plan. Granted, we tend to go during free dining and we just pay to upgrade from the standard. We use some of the credits for QS and some for breakfasts and don't worry about it at all. We have done a grand total on a few trips and we are still pretty much even every year. I think there have been years when we are slightly less than what we paid and others where we are slightly more. What gets us back to it every year is that we just don't have to worry about how much our meals are while we are there. Piece of mind definitely has a cost to it and if we can just order what we want and not think about that big total for the bill or change our plans because our budget for food is running low, then we come out ahead in the long run.

Yes it’s really obvious if you have two rooms and you look at doing two different dining plans to compare. We will have 2 rooms of 3A, 1C for 4 nights. I compared doing DDP in both rooms to DDP+ & QS and the latter would save us about $95 despite it being the exact same number of credits. If we did DxDP & QS, we could do 2 more TS for only $361. There is a ton of value there considering you get apps then with your TS meals and for 6A, 2C it’s easy to spend more than that on just 1 character meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!