DDP+ It’s official!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that at first, but she did try several different times and then put me on a short hold while she asked someone else. I can always try again later (our trip is in May).

I guess it's possible that adding this new dining plan has messed up the whole system. You can wait all the way up to 72 hrs before check-in, so I would definitely give it some time.

Overall, this sounds like a good addition to the options on the DDP. We used DDP once years ago and really liked it, but on more recent trips, we've opted to pay of pocket.

If we used DDP+, I would feel that we needed to eat all TS to not lose money. Any credit used on a QS would be perceived as "wasting" it when it could be used for a much more expensive meal. We like to eat at some QS, so this isn't a game-changer for us. We will likely always just continue to pay OOP for meals.

My latest Disney trips have just been me and hubby and the dining plan has never been worth it. Now we have a 3 year old and we are taking her for her first trip in early December. I like the flexibility (QS or TS) of this new plan. I’ve been crunching numbers for 2 hours to see if it’s going to be worth it for us and I am still not finished yet! LOL. We plan to do a few character meals but not one every day. My brain is tired and needs a break. I am a math teacher though so I am loving planning and figuring the potential costs and savings (or lack thereof!)

This is the plan I've been waiting for!

In WDW, our preference for dining is two TS meals per day - breakfast & dinner. We never eat an actual lunch. So it's usually a ppo breakfast at a restaurant that depends on where we are going. Always a breakfast at Tusker House on our AK day. That's a must for us. For our MK day, perhaps Crystal Palace or over at Chef Mickey's, etc. Then, a snack or two in the middle of the day, followed by a dinner in or near the park we are at for the day.

+ Refillable mugs - use it in the morning once, fountain beverage at quick service is $4
+ Snacks - use it at the festival booths: Deconstructed BLT: $7, Saint-Honoré Tart: $6
+ Akershus for breakfast: $39.00
+ Garden Grill for Dinner: $44.72 + $6 for a beer
Total: $106.72
So you can make it work - but you have to plan for it
Curious where you're seeing these prices? According to the Disney site Akershus Breakfast is $53+tax and Garden Grill dinner is $55+tax. I don't see a $6 beer anywhere, but both of those places offer ~$12 drinks.
So figuring your $4+$7+$8+$53+$55+$12+$12 is $151, with tax it's $161 for $95. This is pretty extreme but it's really easy to make $95/day a good value if you're eating at pretty much any two table service meals. Even picking middle-of-the-road entrees it still works out. If you'd pass up the $40 entree and get a $30 entree at Coral Reef, you're still going to be at $30+$12 (drink) which is $45 after tax. Two of those and your $4 mug value leaves both $7 snacks and desserts everywhere a gimmee.
Granted you should like drinks (or desserts) to make any dining plan really useful. If you're not into drinks, desserts, or for that matter getting table service meals, then you're not really in the target audience for this.

Last edited:
Curious where you're seeing these prices? According to the Disney site Akershus Breakfast is $53+tax and Garden Grill dinner is $55+tax. I don't see a $6 beer anywhere, but both of those places offer ~$12 drinks.
So figuring your $4+$7+$8+$53+$55+$12+$12 is $151, with tax it's $161 for $95. This is pretty extreme but it's really easy to make $95/day a good value if you're eating at pretty much any two table service meals. Even picking middle-of-the-road entrees it still works out. If you'd pass up the $40 entree and get a $30 entree at Coral Reef, you're still going to be at $30+$12 (drink) which is $45 after tax. Two of those and your $4 mug value leaves both $7 snacks a gimmee.
Granted you should like drinks (or desserts) to make any dining plan really useful. If you're not into drinks, desserts, or for that matter getting table service meals, then you're not really in the target audience for this.

I did quick google search, maybe I grabbed the wrong figure or an old price. The beer price was from a posted menu from Garden Grill

To the part in your post I bolded - I fully agree ... you need to look at how you eat and what you would get. We don't need dessert at a quick service (for example) so great that it is included and provides some extra value, but not really $ we would normally spend - so the dining plan in general is not for my family .... but I do think at this price point, it isn't that hard to get your money's worth

To me the bigger question is how many TS meal will you do on a vacation? That is why I think split stays make a ton of sense so you aren't feeling "forced" to do 2 TS meals a day the entire trip

Don’t forget the tips - if you’re going to an extra TS restaurant after upgrading from DDP to DDP+ then the difference you’re willing to pay needs to be $17 + tip (20% of $60?).

We're booked in April on a bounceback and have the regular dining plan. They haven't let my TA upgrade me to the plus yet. I'm really annoyed about it and may just cancel my regular dining plan and get gift cards instead. I have an AP so that may be better anyway. We'll see.

Called Disney on 3/10/20

I am having similar issue. I received postcard offer and booked room, added DDP and tickets. I called to upgrade to DDP Plus, but CM said it is not available for me to upgrade because of my unique code, but to keep checking. (My trip is May)

**She also informed me that just this week anyone with AP, Military and PH are now able to upgrade to the new DDP Plus.

I’ve been checking online and still unable to upgrade to DDP- hope this changes before our sept trip

Virgin Holidays allowing DDP+ to be booked for UK guests for next year.
Quick Serve - £45.73
DDP - £64.85
DDP+ - £78.63
DxDP - £98.91

I just moved our bounce back trip from July to December. I only have the free quick service dining. I asked about upgrading to the DD+ plan while she had guest services on the line. They were not able to do it as it was not available at the time I booked the BB and they don't have a code to add it to the BB. She also said it seems to have some glitches and keep trying closer to our trip. I am hoping they are able to make the changes in the next few months as we like TS much better. Even as adults with teens we all like the character breakfasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter