Debt Dumpers - 2017

I didn't realize that Rivers of Light would show during the extra time. That might make it much more worthwhile. Take a few extra hours to nap before heading there.

Yes, they had two showings for the After Dark event! I was impressed with this event, especially after paying for the non DVC after hours event offered at the MK this spring. That one was shorter and cost over $100/person if I remember right. This one was free which was awesome and it offered a lot more. I think getting a good rest earlier in the day is a great idea. My dad was operating on a three hour time difference and did fine. :)

So I might be going to WDW for a few days next month. I have been nominated to be on the board of a large public health organization and I will know by December 20 whether or not I get elected. If I do get elected, then I need to go to their annual meeting the end of January, which happens to be in Orlando.

I mentioned this to my bestie and she told me that she just got an AP. Then we started dreaming of taking the weekend before my meeting to hang out at Disney. And then the dream started to feel like a plan. We both ran it past the SOs and they both said it would be fine! My airfare would be covered by work. I would cover the hotel with SPG points. I have enough money saved in gift cards to cover my ticket cost. I would mostly just have to worry about food and some souvenir money.

I have already booked the hotel, since I can cancel it if we don't end up going. And I started setting up dining reservations for us. I snagged a breakfast reservation to BOG!
Exciting, good luck! My work's annual meeting is in Orlando in 2019 and I'm already thinking about how I can get some Disney and/or Universal in too. This year I'll be in San Diego and DH might come with me because it's a city neither of us has visited before.

We had a bad hail storm in the area this spring that damaged a lot of vehicles, luckily none in my area since the hail stones were smaller for us, but I wonder if that's why the rates went up
I'm sure it's the hail. I was at work, which is in the I25/I70 area, and my car got pretty beat up - not like the people with broken windows or anything, but tons of small dents. :( Our insurance went up about the same amount as yours.
Exciting, good luck! My work's annual meeting is in Orlando in 2019 and I'm already thinking about how I can get some Disney and/or Universal in too. This year I'll be in San Diego and DH might come with me because it's a city neither of us has visited before.
I really like San Diego. It's so laid back compared to most of Southern California.

An End of the Year Check-in
2017 starting balances:
Student Loans - $12560 + $2075+ $12685 = $27,320
Car Loans - $22034 + $18100 = $40,134

Balances as of 2/8/17:
Student Loans - $10280 + $1052+ $9875 = $21,207 - $6113 change
Car Loans - $21584 + $17389 = $38,973 - $1161 change

Balances as of 3/15/17:
Student Loans - $9036 + $0 + $7685 = $16,721 - $10,599 change
Car Loans - $20685 + $17061 = $37,746 - $2388 change

Balances as of 4/5/17:
Student Loans - $6009 + $0 + $7702 = $13,694 - $13,626 change
Car Loans - $20685 + $17061 = $37,746 - $2388 change

Balances as of 5/15/17:

Student Loans - $5948 + $0 + $7505 = $13,453 - $13,867 change
Car Loans - $19785 + $16705 = $36,490 - $3644 change

Skipped June updates

Balances as of 7/4/17:
Student Loans - $3851 + $0 + $3550 = $7401 - $19,919 change
Car Loans - $19366 + $15994 = $35,360 - $4774 change

Balances as of 8/17/17:

Student Loans - $0 + $0 + $0 = $0 - $27,320 change
Car Loans - $18436 + $15768 = $34,204 - $5930 change

Skipped September updates

Balances as of 10/8/17:

Student Loans - $0 - $27,320 change
Car Loans - $17987 + $15057 = $33,044 - $7090 change

Balances as of 11/20/17:

Student Loans - $0 - $27,320 change from the beginning of the year
Car Loans - $16985 + $14702 = $31,687 - $8477 change from the beginning of the year
Balances as of 12/12/17:
Student Loans - $0 - $27,320 change from the beginning of the year
Car Loans - $16538 + $14347 = $30,885 - $9249 change from the beginning of the year

I don't expect too much to change over the next few weeks with being busy with the holidays... and work... and a wedding which requires travel... and sneaking away to Disney on Thursday :)

These were our goals for the year:
  • Pay off two student loans each before our wedding this Fall (we have budgeted to each pay $300 extra per month, then we take any extra income from the month, divide it in half, and add it to that $300) - Check! Paid off ALL of them (111!)
  • Save up enough for Wedding/Honeymoon costs, and hopefully come in under budget - Check! By ~$500 haha
  • Save $15,000 towards a house - Check! We're at $17,650
  • Be more active on this thread :thumbsup2 - My history shows up as 4 pages of posts, so I'll count that as a win :)
  • Increase DF's 401k contribution, and move my old 401k (~$1000) to an IRA (then maybe I'll decrease my 401k contributions in order to max that out...) - Hasn't happened.
  • Make a Christmas budget - Missed here. We're just flying by the seat of our pants again
  • Get all financial stuff straightened out after getting married - combine accounts, etc. At least our best efforts... we'll have a few months after until the end of the year. - This is in progress
  • Work on eating out less - that's our budget buster - Still a budget buster. Though we did have the water troubles... but still, I don't even want to tell you guys what YNAB says we averaged. Let's just call it too much.
We've been so busy the last two months since we got back from our honeymoon, that I've just let the budget ride it out. It's been mostly okay. All of our extra income from OT and stuff is just accruing. At the end of the month we're going to work out a new budget and new goals. I'm going to set up a new YNAB budget to simplify it now that we have some combined accounts, because right now we have lots of duplicates and hidden categories. Then we can decide what to do with that extra income, plus we have some cash from wedding gifts and December is a 3 paycheck month for both of us. I am worried that we're going to owe money on taxes, because as I start to put things in it comes up as owing a lot...

We have to decide how we want to budget going forward also, as this year 1/3 of our income was from my OT and DH's commissions. I like the report feature of YNAB, so we can sit down and see what we spent in different categories for the year easily. It will help DH out too so we can reevaluate our spending.

So, this is the tentative plans for the week with mom at Walt Disney World.

The big thing mom wants to see on this trip is the Flower & Garden festival at EPCOT, so there is a full day and two partial days planned there.
One of the partial days is the Sunday arrival, and you will notice that I have nothing planned for Sunday yet, except my appointment at the Main Street Barber Shop.
Also, based on the estimated crowd calendars, that Sunday is a good day to visit any park except Hollywood Studios.

Given that my mom would kill me for putting her age online, lets just admit that she has been retired for more than a decade. She has a tendency to sleep and nap about 14 hours a day, has a few dietary restrictions (low salt, low carb, high protein), and will be traveling with an electric scooter. Does anyone see problems with the current plans? And does anyone have other suggestions for things to see / do?

Attachments

• Spring Break.pdf
    356.1 KB · Views: 12
On Sunday, I went to an anniversary party for the organization that ran our child birth/newborn classes and the new mom's group that I attend each week. When I went to mom's group today, the leader gave me a $100 Target gift card that they had a drawing for anyone that came to the party. I was pretty surprised, but pleasantly so. That is now $100 I can use for food on the potential Disney trip!

My grandfather passed away on Thursday. We live in Oklahoma and the funeral is in Pennsylvania. I knew I'd be coming up with the kids on my own, so I left Friday afternoon. The funeral was supposed to be tomorrow, but someone didn't file the right transport permits and now the funeral won't be until Thursday. I'm lucky to be staying with family, but the later funeral date means I now have to take 2 extra days off work unpaid.

We stopped for the night on our way here ($103) and have filled/topped off twice ($60 total), so im guessing we will have another $200 in travel expenses to get home. I've spent under $100 on things since I've been here, including formula and a few christmas presents from Ikea for the girls since we don't have an ikea near us.

I'm just glad this check had some overtime and my bonus on it. It definitely made it easier to manage. I also realized the missing 2 days of my check will be on my check after Christmas, so I have about 2 weeks to try and make that up by picking up another shift or two.

I am so sorry for your loss. Grandparents are special people for sure.
:hug:

Why does it seem impossible to get out of debt!??!
I have $20K+ in credit card debt and plan to 'snowball' it down in 2018. I've paid off some low balance cards already and have a few more to go. A good chunk of the debt is from when I was not working and had to basically live off the cards

How do you keep your positivity while paying off debt whennyou feel.like you're buried in it?

And I definitely don't want to go through one if those debt management companies. They totally ruin ypur credit score until all cards are paid in full and, even after that, your score won't go back up for at least 7-12 months or longer

You can do this! Knowledge is power. :thumbsup2
Don't use a debt management company. That is for people who are truly lost with no direction.
What worked for me (and still does 95% of the time) is to create The Plan. When it's all mapped out on paper,(well on the computer) it's easy to see where you've been and where you're heading. I found that seeing where I'll be in a month if I stay on track was very encouraging so every now and then I peek ahead. Yes, it's very slow in the beginning. My lowest bill that I started my snowball with was only around $200-250 with a $25/mo payment for our lawnmower from Sears. So even moving on to debt #2 it really wasn't much faster. I think I was just so excited to have a very black & white, methodical approach finally. Before finding this thread and DR, I was just throwing extra money at various bills and getting no where. As DR says, look at whether you have an income problem or a spending problem. Spending problems are easier to handle imo. The emergency fund was also reassuring that I wouldn't easily break down and overspend on BS otherwise I'd have to dip into my EF.

Every paycheck has a very specific list of bills that gets paid with it. This includes non-monthly bills such as sewer & car insurance.
Dh and I each get paid every other week but opposite weeks. So every week has a check coming in. I don't know a thing about spreadsheets and maybe I should learn but I keep a Word document listing each paycheck and the list of bills that goes with each check.
Each week is color coded: purple, orange, green blue. (Those few bonus months with 3 checks gets a red-coded check in the middle of the month. That's the bonus one.) Once a debt is paid off, it still gets listed under that paycheck but I change it to bold & larger font and those get added up separately, which determines my snowball payment that week. Then continue paying the rest of the bills on the list as usual.

So even though my Sears bill ($25) and Amazon card ($75) were paid off, on the purple week I would still pretend like I was paying those bills except that $100 would go to the current bill.
As time goes on, the big bolded list of paid off debts keeps getting longer (bigger snowball) for each check and the bills that are truly due keep getting shorter.
This is where it starts getting exciting again because with big snowballs come big payments each week. We went from having not a penny leftover every week to having some weeks with an $800 snowball payment. So by the time you get to the larger bills, you are taking much bigger bites out it.

I also keep a separate snowball document, listing each debt, then beneath it each weekly check, still color coded and all the little snowballs I used to pay and their total for the week and subtract that from the debt I'm attacking. I currently have it listed through next summer.
I can visualize each paycheck and how each week the balance due keeps shrinking and I see the exact date it will be gone. (give or take a few) Then list the next debt and so on.

I don't delete them from my past because the longer the old 'paid off list' gets, the more encouraging I find it. Nice to be able to scroll through a long list of bills that are gone to get to this week's snowball. My 2014 snowballs were so small! I don't ever want to lose sight of where I've been and how long it took to get to where we're at.

So as of now our credit cards are all paid off. Car payments done. $15k Parent Plus loan done. We did still take small vacations in with that but it was with the knowledge that I'm funneling my snowball away from debt payment which will only make it take longer.
With each break for a trip though I came right back on it, more focused than ever.

All we have left now is a home equity loan which we will attack again after a little break to travel. I still follow The Plan but instead of listing a debt, I list my savings goal, such as "Airfare: $3000", and list all my little weekly snowballs below that then list "Christmas $5000" and all my little snowballs below that til it's paid off. Then list the next thing. Whatever you want it to be. My current goal is $10k for vacation next fall. I have 6470 to go which should be done by March 15. Next up: $8k for a car down payment which will take until July 5. Current car will be 12 by then which is enough for me. Next we attack the home equity loan.
Of course this is all fluid and not carved in stone.

Being able to see all of this at a glance helps me tremendously. Ok I guess I'm a little obsessed but if it keeps me from getting back in over my head, so be it.

There were shaky times in the beginning where I'd have to funnel my snowball for a few weeks to pay car ins or ds20's senior trip to WDW or some other lack of planning. This still happens but not so often. I can do it without getting too sidetracked.

If there is even $5 left in checking (beside a cushion) before payday, it goes toward whatever bill/goal I'm snowballing. I just follow my own rules I set for myself. When I get knocked down due to things beyond our control, I get back up again, brush myself off, and continue on.

The hardest part is dedicating the time toward creating The Plan. Now I can just copy & paste to add on future months.

What helps us a lot I think, is that dh doesn't mind cooking every night, even after a long stressful day. :love2:

Sorry to ramble on so much but I feel like my way was so easy for me to simply substitute one bill for another and it just breaks my heart when people start getting lost with no road map.

Hang in there! :goodvibes It can be done. So many of us here are living proof! If you need more you can google success stories and hear from others what worked for them. Lots of encouraging DR videos on youtube.

Good luck to you!!:cheer2:

So, this is the tentative plans for the week with mom at Walt Disney World.

The big thing mom wants to see on this trip is the Flower & Garden festival at EPCOT, so there is a full day and two partial days planned there.
One of the partial days is the Sunday arrival, and you will notice that I have nothing planned for Sunday yet, except my appointment at the Main Street Barber Shop.
Also, based on the estimated crowd calendars, that Sunday is a good day to visit any park except Hollywood Studios.

Given that my mom would kill me for putting her age online, lets just admit that she has been retired for more than a decade. She has a tendency to sleep and nap about 14 hours a day, has a few dietary restrictions (low salt, low carb, high protein), and will be traveling with an electric scooter. Does anyone see problems with the current plans? And does anyone have other suggestions for things to see / do?

This looks like a great trip! My only suggestion would be that perhaps you don't need a FP for Rivers of Light. When we went at the beginning of August (peak season) there was AMPLE seating for Rivers of Light. It is a BIG amphitheater. So if there is something else you'd rather FP at AK, I would choose that instead.

This looks like a great trip! My only suggestion would be that perhaps you don't need a FP for Rivers of Light. When we went at the beginning of August (peak season) there was AMPLE seating for Rivers of Light. It is a BIG amphitheater. So if there is something else you'd rather FP at AK, I would choose that instead.

It really all comes down to timing. I would FP Lion King or Finding Nemo (mom doesn't do rides), but we'll be getting there late enough that I'm not sure that there will be a showing available. But I don't have to get the FP reservations until mid-January, so there is still some time to tweak the plan.

On Sunday, I went to an anniversary party for the organization that ran our child birth/newborn classes and the new mom's group that I attend each week. When I went to mom's group today, the leader gave me a $100 Target gift card that they had a drawing for anyone that came to the party. I was pretty surprised, but pleasantly so. That is now $100 I can use for food on the potential Disney trip!

Woohoo for trip! are you bringing the LO?

Well, note to self to never again try to run an errand on my lunch break. It appears that most of Denver just shops 24/7. Holy moly. What a freaking mess. To top it off, I'm at a merge/stop behind a car and she starts to go to merge and then as I turn my head to check oncoming traffic she comes to a dead stop. So, note to self to also never take your eyes off the car in front of you I guess. And I should have left more space between us. I crunched into her trailer hitch which didn't damage her car at all luckily but it left a nice rip in my front bumper. I was lucky though - just told her I thought she was going, and she said she was, then trailed off and didn't finish the sentence... lol. I apologized and said as long as she felt her car was fine I didn't care about the damage to mine and we went our separate ways. Phew. Visions of insurance claims and increased rates were dancing in my head. Not what should be dancing around in there this time of year. First time in over 20 years of driving that I've ever been in any sort of traffic accident, not that I would even call it that. Still... grrr.

To top it off, I'm at a merge/stop behind a car and she starts to go to merge and then as I turn my head to check oncoming traffic she comes to a dead stop. So, note to self to also never take your eyes off the car in front of you I guess. And I should have left more space between us. I crunched into her trailer hitch which didn't damage her car at all luckily but it left a nice rip in my front bumper. I was lucky though - just told her I thought she was going, and she said she was, then trailed off and didn't finish the sentence... lol.

I kid you not, the day after I got my license, the exact same thing happened to me.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. The funeral was really nice (aside from me missing part because my 2 year old decided that was a good time to freak out, but that's a whole different story). Our hotel for the way up and back was about $200 total and gas ended up being about $180 as well. I figured it would be about $500 for the trip, and after eating out a few times and paying for half of my grandmas christmas present, I ended right about there.

My cousin and I are the only two with kids so far, so we took all 3 great grandgirls to JCP and got photos done. We got a nice framed picture of all 3 together with an inlay of all 3 individually along the side. It was $120, but it includes sitting fees for 2 years, so we will probably try and do pictures annually now. It also included the digital package for both of us to download and print when/what we wanted. (Hope the pic shows up) Definitely worth the $60 for my half since mini sessions here are about that for less images and no print rights.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1512693790218.jpg
    FB_IMG_1512693790218.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 19
Definitely ready to get started on 2018, especially debt-wise. We've got so much built up from the last couple of years and it feels like we just can't get our heads above water. I AM DONE FEELING LIKE THIS. The stress of it all is honestly killing both me and my DH.

The biggest contributor to our current situation is that I've owned my own business for the last two years. We also eat out WAY more than any two humans probably should, because our schedules are just insane, especially lately. I'm back in a "real" job as of a month ago, and I'm planning to do a lot less with my business in 2018, at least for the first few months of the year. I've been doing both since the beginning of November and it's just absolutely too much to juggle.

We've crunched the numbers and between DH's two jobs and my one job, we actually could be debt-free, except for my student loans, in 18 months if we're really diligent about everything. That includes a Disney trip next October. We're also planning a quick two-night visit at the end of January for my birthday, and we're planning to use whatever money we get for Christmas toward that so as little of it comes out of our current finances as possible. We have SWA points that cover our flights in January, and we've already gotten our park ticket (only doing one day at EPCOT - the other days we're there we'll visit Disney Springs and some resorts) so it's just the room and food that we need to pay for now.

We've got our monthly budget figured out, but I'm having a little trouble breaking it down into each paycheck, so that's my personal project for the rest of December. So, so excited to get this ball rolling, and hopefully we can really stick to the plan and see some big improvements in our finances and our stress.

I was able to talk to Navy Fed today and got my other two card balance transfer set up so now I do not have any accounts with interest over 9.99%. The one (our Air Conditioner we had installed) at 9.99% will be my next target to pay off in full within maybe three months? The one after that is 7.75%.

Getting ready for 2018 to snow ball some accounts!

Oh... AND... I am having DH pay all the bills his year. This morning, I walked him through paying the first quarter of our health insurance. It's not due until Jan, so it's his turn to pay. LOL. Also, introduced him to my bill tracking spreadsheet to put the payment confirmation number for our health insurance payment in and when it is due again. DH doesn't want to pay the bills. We have been married 16 years and I was a single parent previously and just was use to paying everything on my on. His ex-wife paid all the bills, so he never really had to do it. I told him, if I were in an accident he wouldn't have a clue about our finances or where to begin in paying the bills.

Last edited:
I finally went and met with my work's retirement adviser today. My work has two plans- a 403(b) and a 457. I've maxed out the 403 plan for matching, but hadn't been contributing to the (unmatched) 457. So now I've finally set up the 457 plan. I'm just doing the low end right now- $20 per pay period in a managed, pre-tax account. The adviser said you can change literally every aspect of the plan online though, so I can change my contributions and plans at any time and it'll switch in 1-2 pay periods. I'm thinking I'll see what my tax return looks like for this year in the spring and then look at switching to the Roth plan and managing the account by myself. I'm excited to finally have it set up though!

I finally went and met with my work's retirement adviser today. My work has two plans- a 403(b) and a 457. I've maxed out the 403 plan for matching, but hadn't been contributing to the (unmatched) 457. So now I've finally set up the 457 plan. I'm just doing the low end right now- $20 per pay period in a managed, pre-tax account. The adviser said you can change literally every aspect of the plan online though, so I can change my contributions and plans at any time and it'll switch in 1-2 pay periods. I'm thinking I'll see what my tax return looks like for this year in the spring and then look at switching to the Roth plan and managing the account by myself. I'm excited to finally have it set up though!
What is the difference and/or benefit of a 457? I've never heard of it. (just curious)

What is the difference and/or benefit of a 457? I've never heard of it. (just curious)

The only real benefit is no early withdrawal penalty, other than that it's basically the same as a 401k. I just work for the government so this is what I'm offered :)

Definitely ready to get started on 2018, especially debt-wise. We've got so much built up from the last couple of years and it feels like we just can't get our heads above water. I AM DONE FEELING LIKE THIS. The stress of it all is honestly killing both me and my DH.
We've got our monthly budget figured out, but I'm having a little trouble breaking it down into each paycheck, so that's my personal project for the rest of December. So, so excited to get this ball rolling, and hopefully we can really stick to the plan and see some big improvements in our finances and our stress.

This takes some wrangling but after a few months of paying close attention & detailed recordkeeping, you'll see what are good amounts each week. Some bills I had to simply drop off of my snowball altogether such as $37/month for ds17's saxophone (from elementary/middle school band). I had a hard time letting go because part of me couldn't understand why can't I simply pay another bill with this $37 after I'm done paying for the sax? and same for every debt that gets paid off?
That's when it clicked that duh, I'm in debt because I'm spending more than we earn. We couldn't continue on that way. For example, let's say our monthly income was $1000 but we were spending $1100 on debt + normal expenses. Just because I reduced our monthly debt payments by $100, no matter how much I wanted to keep going, I couldn't continue to keep that $100 in my snowball.

When all is said and done, the equation must balance: TOTAL INCOME=EXPENSES+SNOWBALL. I can't just simply increase my snowball because it feels good or I will be deeper in debt.
Personally, I can't use monthly calculations for gauging snowballs; I can only use weekly. Our income varies between the 2 of us plus each of our paychecks vary throughout the month due to some payroll deductions occurring once per month.

Many times in the beginning, I overestimated how much "spare/misc." funds could go into the snowball, leaving me to tell dh, "Don't tap MAC for any cash until Thursday." or "Don't put anything on our SWA card until after ____." (last day of billing cycle)
We still use a rewards cc for everyday spending but we don't charge more than we can afford to pay off by the due date. Some months when we did out of need, it was done knowing that snowballs would be funneled away from debt payoff and go toward paying the monthly cc, leaving me feeling extra thrifty to make up for it.

You know, cars are such money sucks....sigh. One of the cars needed a new tire pressure sensor to the tune of almost $400. We had brought it to the dealership for this and they also recommend four new tires and an axel will need replacing soon. So then I called my regular mechanic who said bring it in and he’ll see what’s what. We trust this guy even though this particular dealership is usually good too, but he will probably be cheaper IF he even thinks this stuff needs to be done now. I may bring it in and leave it over Christmas week because we won’t need it then and he can take his time on it.

Meanwhile, this past week DS turned 17 and failed his driving test because he hit a cone while doing the parking part of the test. You have never seen a sadder face walking back into the motor vehicle building. He’s trying again this coming week. They have to back into a spot within three minutes. Dh took him out practicing today and they’ll go again tomorrow. When we’d offered to take him to practice several times, he declined and said he could do it. Well, now he’s decided to practice. If he fails this week (he never even got to the actual road test part! But I don’t worry about that part so much) he’ll have to wait until January because we will be out of state.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter