Debt Dumpers - 2018

The exchange places in the airport are the worst deal. If you need cash I recommend either getting some from your bank or using an ATM in Canada.
So PNC does not charge a fee to exchange money but Chase does. I have an appointment tomorrow to order Canadian money. Thanks again.

So if anyone remembers about the position I applied for a few weeks ago I was officially offered and accepted the position today! It will be a little bit of a bump in pay too which should help out. :)
Way to go!!!!! Mazel tov!

Finally got the title to the new car. Going to swing by the tag agency Monday and see how much the damage will be and if I can swing it this check or if I'll have to wait until next check (it would mean a week of driving the borrowed car that's still occupying my driveway). Crossing my fingers it isn't as bad as I think it will be, but expecting about $500.

This check has our new company cost of living raise. It wasn't much at only 35 cents an hour, but 35 cents is better than the nothing some people got. I will also get my 18 month raise (50 cents) starting this week, so the first check in April will have almost an extra $1/hr raise on it. And at the moment, our quarterly bonus is tracking at $1.10/hr, which is the max. Just need to make it through April and that should give us each an extra $400 or so on our last check in May (May is a 3 check month). Already budgeting that into maybe paying DF's truck off early or our full insurance policy off early.

So if anyone remembers about the position I applied for a few weeks ago I was officially offered and accepted the position today! It will be a little bit of a bump in pay too which should help out. :)

Congratulations!

I went for an interview yesterday, our procedure is call 2 referees before interview and third after for top 2 candidates. They called my third around 1pm but I didn't hear anything before the end of the day so I assume they've gone with the other candidate. Either way, was very good experience, I haven't been to an interview in ages and now I have an ace set of selection criteria on file to use in any future apps. Last week I made it through the first cull to top 5 and didn't proceed to interview so hopefully it is only a matter of time and we can move home.

Other than that, just plugging away in a 3 paycheck month, to put back the money we loaned the ILS and I'd like to get our hire car and a few tours booked for our US trip next month, so I can pay them off now. Tried to book surprise tickets for DH to opening weekend of Infinity Wars but I can't book at the cinema I want without a zip code and 90120 is where all Aussies on holiday in the US live but even that is not working for me today :D

One more full week of work and then we're off to Banff. I need to exchange some US Dollars for Canadian dollars and not sure how to go about it to get the best exchange rate. Wondering if I should just wait until we arrive and use a forex bureau in the airport or if I should change the money in the US. I'd like some local money for tips etc. We are on a tight schedule and arrive in Calgary around 6pm so not sure if any banks will be open when we arrive at our downtown hotel (Fairmont Palliser). Upon reading up on the issue, I see the best exchange rate one would get would be to use their US debit card to use an ATM. I hadn't planned to bring my debit card, though. Just my CSR and Platinum due to no forex fees. I'm going to cross-post this in the "I love credit card threads" also. Anyone have any feedback on what I should do?

When we leave the country we just tap an ATM. It's a decent rate; at least we're not being gouged like they do in the airports. Also we use a Capital One 360 checking account because they don't charge any fees when we travel abroad. I also like that my card only has access to vacation funds. Our bill-paying accounts are all separate. Still, it costs money to get cash so I try to keep that to a minimum and use my CSP card everywhere.

I'm such a bubble head sometimes. We are still waiting for the final disbursement from dh's inheritance from his parents. It could be another month or 2 now and I've been itching to pay off our home equity loan, which we agreed would be the top priority with the money. It's just over $4000 remaining, down from $35,000 to start. Every month that I keep paying on this just reminds me how long this is all taking (over 1 yr now.) Not trying to sound greedy but it's not something you can really set a plan with because who knows when it will be available.

So instead of saving for a down payment on a car, which was up to around $5500, I decided to use that savings to pay off the HEL. It's kind of silly to keep paying interest on a loan that I could pay off.
Dh agreed to pay back my car fund when the money comes or if I already have another down payment saved, we'll put it toward our “real” emergency fund, not the mini $1000 DR-suggested emergency fund.

I started the transfer process and it will arrive at our local bank Monday and I am so excited to see that loan go AWAY!! I don't usually look forward to Mondays but this weekend I will!

Last edited:
Hi all! Just a quick hello :wave2: Not too much to report! I am going into my fourth week of my new job at the University, but no shifts this past week because they were on spring break. So far, I really enjoy it! The students are fun to work with and often just need a little TLC. They are just letting me pick the hours I want to work week to week which is awesome. I’m sure that will change a bit down the road, but i’ll enjoy the flexibility while it lasts ::yes::

Not a lot to report on the debt dumping front. Getting started here led me to YNAB, the Reddit personal finance board, and Dave Ramsey. We’re now doing a mix of these leaning more towards the YNAB and r/personalfinance principles. So, our plan for our three remaining paychecks for March (two for me from my two jobs and one from my DH) is to get fully buffered for April. It means we won’t have a lot to throw at debt (maybe $600 or so), but being a month ahead of all of our bills and obligations will be HUGE! Hopefully we can slowly push that even farther, but a one month buffer is a good start!

One more full week of work and then we're off to Banff. I need to exchange some US Dollars for Canadian dollars and not sure how to go about it to get the best exchange rate. Wondering if I should just wait until we arrive and use a forex bureau in the airport or if I should change the money in the US. I'd like some local money for tips etc. We are on a tight schedule and arrive in Calgary around 6pm so not sure if any banks will be open when we arrive at our downtown hotel (Fairmont Palliser). Upon reading up on the issue, I see the best exchange rate one would get would be to use their US debit card to use an ATM. I hadn't planned to bring my debit card, though. Just my CSR and Platinum due to no forex fees. I'm going to cross-post this in the "I love credit card threads" also. Anyone have any feedback on what I should do?

No advice on the cash issue, but enjoy Banff :) we stopped there for some gas on our way to visit my sisters family who live an hour north east of Calgary

It was interesting to read all the foreign travel comments. We leave for Germany on Wednesday. We spoke with our bank and they told us that because our debit card is Mastercard, that we have no foreign transaction fees for charges. The woman also told us there is a network of ATMs that they partner with (our bank is a credit union) that do not charge fees for making withdrawals. It is worth calling your bank to ask about that. From all our traveling reading, going to an ATM at a reputable bank is your best bet for exchange rates, as previous posters have said. Also, make sure to let your bank and CC company know you are traveling. The last thing you want is a stop on your money while you are legitimately traveling. Also, while I know it is Canada and not terribly hard to work with in terms of travel and such, just make sure you copy all your cards front and back so if something were to happen, you have the number to call and the number of your CC or debit. Safe travels!

We are doing well on the debt journey. April and May are no tuition months for our daughter (she goes to a private montessori school and we have to pay tuition 10 months of the year). I am using the April money to put aside for summer camps (our flex spending over pays us back after she attends camp). The May money is going to the debt! May is the 3 paycheck month for my DH so that will also go to the debt. I am teaching an overload for the spring (I'm a college professor) and so that extra money will go to the debt. We should have our next major loan paid off by June/July. I am doing some summer programs that I get paid extra for so that helps.

Happy last few days of winter.

It was interesting to read all the foreign travel comments. We leave for Germany on Wednesday. We spoke with our bank and they told us that because our debit card is Mastercard, that we have no foreign transaction fees for charges. The woman also told us there is a network of ATMs that they partner with (our bank is a credit union) that do not charge fees for making withdrawals. It is worth calling your bank to ask about that. From all our traveling reading, going to an ATM at a reputable bank is your best bet for exchange rates, as previous posters have said. Also, make sure to let your bank and CC company know you are traveling. The last thing you want is a stop on your money while you are legitimately traveling. Also, while I know it is Canada and not terribly hard to work with in terms of travel and such, just make sure you copy all your cards front and back so if something were to happen, you have the number to call and the number of your CC or debit. Safe travels!

We are doing well on the debt journey. April and May are no tuition months for our daughter (she goes to a private montessori school and we have to pay tuition 10 months of the year). I am using the April money to put aside for summer camps (our flex spending over pays us back after she attends camp). The May money is going to the debt! May is the 3 paycheck month for my DH so that will also go to the debt. I am teaching an overload for the spring (I'm a college professor) and so that extra money will go to the debt. We should have our next major loan paid off by June/July. I am doing some summer programs that I get paid extra for so that helps.

Interesting that your card has no fees. When we went to Canada, our debit card (a VISA) had foreign transaction fees. Was that because it was not Mastercard? Have a good trip!

Interesting that your card has no fees. When we went to Canada, our debit card (a VISA) had foreign transaction fees. Was that because it was not Mastercard? Have a good trip!

Just found out I was misquoted by the woman at the bank. If I use my debit card, I get a 1% fee. If I had a MC CC, then I would not get a fee. DH and I have to talk about what we want to do about that. We do not want to use CCs, but we do have the money saved up for the trip. I think we will take out some euros when we get there using an ATM and then use our SW CC for the rest and pay it off when we get home. We have a general budget for the trip so we can keep ourselves in check.

Thanks for the info. I've decided to tap an ATM when we arrive after PNC informed me they would only be giving me $1.20 CAD for 1 USD when the actual exchange rate today is $1.30.

I know I haven't been posting much this year, but I've been following along with everyone. We've been keeping busy this year so far... we did our one last trip to WDW with our APs in January, and are now on a run of spending 5 of 8 weekends out of town. We had a wedding celebration back in my hometown hosted by my cousin, DH is currently out of town for the third time this year for work and so we spent the last two days in Long Beach, CA as a precursor to that, my cousin gets married next weekend, then Easter, then DH's brother gets married in California and we're making a teeny trip out of that and going to DL for a couple days, then Vegas at the end of April to support a friend. And I have another cousin getting married Memorial Day weekend! We had lots of time to talk in the car coming back from my hometown last week though, I think we have our next big goals settled, at least.

Our next big item to payoff is going to be my car. I owe about $15,000 on it currently and am 26 months into my 60 month loan. I mentioned at one point that we had been letting most of our extra income accumulate... though we've spent a bit of it (weekends back to my hometown and small trips) we have a pretty large pile to throw onto the car loan that will most likely cut it in half right off the bat, maybe more. The three factors determining what that pile amounts to are 1. we've got a few gifts to pick up, for the weddings and also my cousin that hosted our party (they paid for almost everything and rented a hall and argued the whole time, so I'm going to get them a Visa card), 2. the travel expenses, especially last weekend as we took my in-laws along to meet some of my family but covered their expenses. and 3. DH is looking at trucks...

So after we sort out that amount plus the truck idea, we're also going to get our retirement savings sorted out. I figured that last year between our 401ks and my HSA we saved about 16% of pre tax pay, and with our company matches about 20%. Since we didn't miss it, we're going to stay at least there/slightly increase, but just equalize a bit as most of it is in my accounts. Even as I was typing this, I got my note with my raise for the year... 3.5%, when our company typically gives 2%-2.5%. That will go into effect in next Monday, so an easy increase for saving if I never see it in my check :) We're each going to open an IRA with the money my grandpa gave us, and contribute $100 each per month for sure (grandpa's request was to save $100 a month between the two of us). I'm just trying to figure out if the IRA expenses are lower than the 401k plans or not, because I think if the IRA expenses are lower that we should contribute more to there after getting the match from our 401ks... this all makes my head hurt :faint:

Beyond that, we're just deciding our next step... moving has come up. We might be here until the Fall when I hit my 3 years and am vested with my company, because at this moment about $9k of my 401k is from my employer match that will become vested then. Unless something with a large pay increase comes up :) I've put in for a position within my company and am updating my resume now, so we'll see... I've heard the manager is already pretty decided on one of the candidates, but if nothing else I feel it'll be good to have another interview experience and will show them that I'm interested in moving up/furthering my career with them.

I feel like every time I get one thing fixed or improved, something else goes wrong. A while back I thought my washing machine was broken and leaking water, but it turns out it was actually coming from condensation when my upstairs neighbor runs his dryer because the damper between our units was broken off. The association got a company to come out today and fix this, but they also told me my dryer drum has an issue and either that or the belt is likely what needs to be replaced. Since that's not something they provide, it seems more likely that they wouldn't lie about it at least, so I will try to get quotes. I don't believe the set is under warranty as it was purchased by the previous owner 4-6 years ago.

They couldn't tell me if the water from upstairs would cause this issue, so I'm going to be the responsible party for getting this fixed and paying for it. :crazy2:
I love living in the city, but getting leaks from the guy upstairs and the renters who park over the line into my spot is getting pretty old.

On the bright side, I was able to book our dining reservations that opened today after getting up at 4:30 this morning to be ready and having to call anyway. We got everything we wanted and ended up deciding not to book MNSSHP as BF wants a day that's more relaxing. LOL! :teeth:

I'm also reviewing quotes so I can have shelving put in my bedroom closet and not have half my clothes in trash bags in the living room. It can take 4 weeks from ordering for installation so I need to get that set up among all the wedding and family activities coming up in the next couple months for my brother and future SIL.:snail:

I feel like every time I get one thing fixed or improved, something else goes wrong. A while back I thought my washing machine was broken and leaking water, but it turns out it was actually coming from condensation when my upstairs neighbor runs his dryer because the damper between our units was broken off. The association got a company to come out today and fix this, but they also told me my dryer drum has an issue and either that or the belt is likely what needs to be replaced. Since that's not something they provide, it seems more likely that they wouldn't lie about it at least, so I will try to get quotes. I don't believe the set is under warranty as it was purchased by the previous owner 4-6 years ago.

They couldn't tell me if the water from upstairs would cause this issue, so I'm going to be the responsible party for getting this fixed and paying for it. :crazy2:
I love living in the city, but getting leaks from the guy upstairs and the renters who park over the line into my spot is getting pretty old.

On the bright side, I was able to book our dining reservations that opened today after getting up at 4:30 this morning to be ready and having to call anyway. We got everything we wanted and ended up deciding not to book MNSSHP as BF wants a day that's more relaxing. LOL! :teeth:

I'm also reviewing quotes so I can have shelving put in my bedroom closet and not have half my clothes in trash bags in the living room. It can take 4 weeks from ordering for installation so I need to get that set up among all the wedding and family activities coming up in the next couple months for my brother and future SIL.:snail:

Is your dryer making a squealing sound when it's running? If so, I actually think it's a pretty easy fix. Something you could probably do yourself with the help of YouTube. I think when ours in our old apartment was doing that it was the belt. The maintenance guys pulled out the drum, replaced whatever piece needed to be replaced, and were done within 5-10 minutes.

Is your dryer making a squealing sound when it's running? If so, I actually think it's a pretty easy fix. Something you could probably do yourself with the help of YouTube. I think when ours in our old apartment was doing that it was the belt. The maintenance guys pulled out the drum, replaced whatever piece needed to be replaced, and were done within 5-10 minutes.

It's kind of a combination of squeaking/knocking that's why the duct guys weren't sure, but if that's the case, it could save me time and money! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter