December Disney Packing Advice/Suggestions

serenity0605

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! This is my first post on the Dis Boards so I apologize if this has been asked before...

Our family will be doing Disney in December this year (9-16th). We typically go end of September so this is an entirely new time of year for us. My question is that I've heard the weather in Dec can be all over the place. Can you guys give me some tips about how you pack (clothing wise) for this time of year. It will be me, hubby and 8 yr old son.

Thanks so much!

It is our first time in December too! I think it's quite easy to layer on top (Jacket/Cardigan & T-Shirt) and as for bottoms it's not so easy but leggings are very good since they are not too light and not too heavy! And you can find lots of cute Disney prints! Or you can go with packing half shorts & half pants (maybe about 3-4 of each) and just decide each morning what you think would be best to wear! You can also bring a light/small blanket that is easy to bring to the parks and you can cover up when you get chilly, especially for nighttime! Hope this helps & hope you have fun!:jumping1:

Edit! Just thought of something. Wal-Mart has these long sleeve shirts that are called Hanes X-Temp and I wore one in the middle of summer and winter and I was kept a normal, body temperature all day! Those may work as well if you don't want to layer!

It is our first time in December too! I think it's quite easy to layer on top (Jacket/Cardigan & T-Shirt) and as for bottoms it's not so easy but leggings are very good since they are not too light and not too heavy! And you can find lots of cute Disney prints! Or you can go with packing half shorts & half pants (maybe about 3-4 of each) and just decide each morning what you think would be best to wear! You can also bring a light/small blanket that is easy to bring to the parks and you can cover up when you get chilly, especially for nighttime! Hope this helps & hope you have fun!:jumping1:

Edit! Just thought of something. Wal-Mart has these long sleeve shirts that are called Hanes X-Temp and I wore one in the middle of summer and winter and I was kept a normal, body temperature all day! Those may work as well if you don't want to layer!

Thanks! I hadn't even considered leggings as an option for myself. And I have a feeling my son will happily wear shorts year round if he could.

Enjoy your December trip :)

We went beginning of December a few years back and t was high 80’s and night was warm enough that we didn’t need pants or jacket. We went the following year mid November and needed coats and long sleeve during the day! We are going this year nov 29-dec 7 and needless to say, I have no idea what to pack. I guess I’ll stick with throwing leggings in my stroller for my two daughters and myself and a hoodie for each of us and just stick with short sleeves during the day. We barely have any room as it is under our stroller and we will have our 13 month old so will be bringing diapers and other things too!

But I’ll try to remember to update you on the weather while I’m there so you can be prepared the week later!

This will be our 8th December trip (9th to 27th), and we've had such a mixed bag of weather over the years. We've had the frosty, record-breaking cold winter of 2010, to almost every day in the low 80's one year but it's usually a mixture of low 70's to low 80's. We always go to early morning EMH and often need several layers at 6.30am, but by 11am we need to strip off to summer clothes. So we pack layers and check the forecast daily and layer up accordingly. There really isn't any rhyme or reason to Orlando weather in December IMHO.

One year my sister and her family went Thanksgiving week to December 1st and they froze their butts off the entire trip. I arrived for my solo trip on the 1st and spent the next week after their week absolutely sweltering. Moral: pack for cold and hot. It's a toss up.

But I’ll try to remember to update you on the weather while I’m there so you can be prepared the week later!

Thank you! My parents have gone that time and said that on one trip it was shorts weather and on another they couldn't find enough clothes to bundle up with! Right now I'm thinking Jeans/tees/and carry a sweatshirt but I'm honestly winging it at best :)

This will be our 8th December trip (9th to 27th), and we've had such a mixed bag of weather over the years. We've had the frosty, record-breaking cold winter of 2010, to almost every day in the low 80's one year but it's usually a mixture of low 70's to low 80's. We always go to early morning EMH and often need several layers at 6.30am, but by 11am we need to strip off to summer clothes. So we pack layers and check the forecast daily and layer up accordingly. There really isn't any rhyme or reason to Orlando weather in December IMHO.

Ugh that's what I'm afraid of. Jeans/tee/carry a sweatshirt is my plan. But my luck it will be 80s and we will be sweltering! I guess we are packing for all the seasons!!

One year my sister and her family went Thanksgiving week to December 1st and they froze their butts off the entire trip. I arrived for my solo trip on the 1st and spent the next week after their week absolutely sweltering. Moral: pack for cold and hot. It's a toss up.

There goes my extra suitcase for souvenirs ;)

I think it's still usually warm enough that if you get caught in a pair of shorts but have a thin jacket you'll be fine. In cooler months we usually bring one pair of long pants/jeans (either the ones we travel in or otherwise) and probably wear them if it's going to be below the low 70s. Otherwise we would wear shorts and tees, but take jackets for the evenings when it cools off.

Ugh that's what I'm afraid of. Jeans/tee/carry a sweatshirt is my plan. But my luck it will be 80s and we will be sweltering! I guess we are packing for all the seasons!!
Should have said we are from the north of England, so with even the slightest amount of heat in the air we think summer's arrived :sunny:

I think it's still usually warm enough that if you get caught in a pair of shorts but have a thin jacket you'll be fine. In cooler months we usually bring one pair of long pants/jeans (either the ones we travel in or otherwise) and probably wear them if it's going to be below the low 70s. Otherwise we would wear shorts and tees, but take jackets for the evenings when it cools off.

Thanks! thank was helpful :)

We went last December 8-13. We live up north and decided to take our winter coats instead of leaving them in the car, we needed them one night. We were glad we had them. I wore capris and jeans the entire time, DH wore jeans and shorts. In the 5 days we were there we had weather from all 4 seasons. Like others have said it is usually cool in the morning and evenings so its best to layer your clothing.

We went last December 8-13. We live up north and decided to take our winter coats instead of leaving them in the car, we needed them one night. We were glad we had them. I wore capris and jeans the entire time, DH wore jeans and shorts. In the 5 days we were there we had weather from all 4 seasons. Like others have said it is usually cool in the morning and evenings so its best to layer your clothing.

Thanks! I think jeans/tee/hoodie (carry in case it gets cold) will be our game plan until it gets closer and I can get a better feel for what the weather is like.

We went this same week a couple of years ago, but usually go in November, so I did a bunch of research on the weather - and it made no difference. I agree with a PP that the weather can be a mixed bag. I'd bring a pair of jeans just in case, but leg wear was not the issue. It was more important to have a sweatshirt/hoodie once the sun went down. During the day, I wore a t-shirt with a flannel over it (mornings can also be chilly) but that was easy enough to stuff into my pack. For the evenings, we had my husband carry sweatshirts for all of us in a backpack and we were glad we did it.

We went this same week a couple of years ago, but usually go in November, so I did a bunch of research on the weather - and it made no difference. I agree with a PP that the weather can be a mixed bag. I'd bring a pair of jeans just in case, but leg wear was not the issue. It was more important to have a sweatshirt/hoodie once the sun went down. During the day, I wore a t-shirt with a flannel over it (mornings can also be chilly) but that was easy enough to stuff into my pack. For the evenings, we had my husband carry sweatshirts for all of us in a backpack and we were glad we did it.

thank you! Hoodies seem to be the way to go, since I'd rather bring them than shell out $50 a pop in the parks (I mean that IS our spending $!!).

We were there the first week of December last year, and will be again this year. It was rather nice, highs in the mid-70's and got up to 80 one day. No rain.

I wore jeans and a short-sleeve shirt and had a sweater for morning and evening. Another day it was leggings, a sleeveless tunic and a sweatshirt for morning/evening. My husband wore shorts one day with a long-sleeve shirt and then jeans on another day. We are from the midwest so when the sun was out those days it felt hot for an hour or so. I pack in layers and then adjust days before we leave depending on the forecast.

We were there the first week of December last year, and will be again this year. It was rather nice, highs in the mid-70's and got up to 80 one day. No rain.

I wore jeans and a short-sleeve shirt and had a sweater for morning and evening. Another day it was leggings, a sleeveless tunic and a sweatshirt for morning/evening. My husband wore shorts one day with a long-sleeve shirt and then jeans on another day. We are from the midwest so when the sun was out those days it felt hot for an hour or so. I pack in layers and then adjust days before we leave depending on the forecast.
That's exactly how my sister dressed two years ago when she went the second week in December. Jeans, t shirt and hoodie for mornings and night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!