Delayed movie releases? Place your bets here

karly05

DIS Veteran - "I found the Snipe!"
We already know that some Disney theatrical releases for 2020 will be delayed. I have some crazy uninformed ideas of what might happen. Jump in and share yours, too.

Let me say, I don't know about production delays and how they will impact things.

I think Mulan moves out a year so they can give it a big international opening and get China/Asia box office as well as US.

I think they will want Black Widow and Jungle Cruise in theatres this year, at the earliest time/timing they think is optimum - IMO these are the two most "sure bets" to get people back into the theatres.

Soul is a great big question mark for me and I could see it getting pushed way out. The Haters are already gloating over what a "flop" Onward is, and I think Soul is going to be a tough sell. Pixar fans, with and without children, will be there, but the Grown-Ups who only go to Cartoons because they have little kids may not be ready to take them to the theatre, and I can already hear the griping from them about how "these are supposed to be Kids' Movies, not tearjerkers about dead people."

I just think if they open it before everyone is really ready to come back to the theatre, it's likely to underperform at the box office, the Haters have two "Epic Disney/Pixar Failures!!" to gloat about, and the bean counters start pushing for another binge of animated sequels, and I'd hate to see that happen.

I don't know the production status of "Raya and the Last Dragon." If it is in danger of not being done in time for Thanksgiving, I wonder if they would push it to next year. I know I said something else earlier, but now I'm wondering if Mulan could go there if needed?

Boy that was a ramble! But it is stuff I've been thinking about and wanted to get out.

My bets for 2020 slate

Mulan - replaces March 2021 untitled live action

Black Widow- replaces Eternals November 2020 { all marvel releases just bump back a release date}

Artemis Fowl -was already pushed back from Aug 2019 ..either the July/Oct 2021 untitled live action or direct to Disney +

Soul— possibly takes Raya’s November slot or becomes the June 2021 untitled Pixar

Jungle Cruise- stays in its late July spot or will replace Ivan/Raya this year... could also take the July 2021 untitled live action spot to keep it a summer tentpole

One and Only Ivan—- there have been no trailers for this it’s doubtful they will keep it in its August slot —- either July/October 2021 or May 2022 untitled Live Action or Disney +

Eternals— replaces Shang Chi in February 2021

Raya-either keeps November 2020 date or is the November 2021 untitled animation

Double post but Disney made official changes
Marvel all pushed back a release date
Mulan took JC’s July 24th spot
JC bumped to July 2021
Indy Sequel bumped to 2022
Artemus Fowl direct to stream

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!