Delta changed our flight to 7:20 am!

maryj11

DIS Veteran
I need some advice. We were changed from an afternoon non stop flight to a non stop 7:20am flight. We would have to get up super early to make this flight. Also our room probably will not be ready when we arrive around 10:30am at WDW.
I hate for us to have no sleep plus no room to get into when we get there.
On the other hand I can change with no fees, but we will have a layover in Atlanta. I really do not want to travel through 2 airports and 2 airplanes with the coronavirus problems.
Should we keep the 7:20am non stop flight and tough it out or change to the one with a lay over in Atlanta? What would you do?

I’d be thrilled to have a full extra vacation day. Give your bags to bell services and enjoy. If you end up eating dinner at 4:30pm, so be it. Go to bed, get up a little later the next day... which will still get you to rope drop if you like.
Yes that is a good thing getting there early. My worry is we will be so tired we won’t enjoy it 🙄.

I need some advice. We were changed from an afternoon non stop flight to a non stop 7:20am flight. We would have to get up super early to make this flight. Also our room probably will not be ready when we arrive around 10:30am at WDW.
I hate for us to have no sleep plus no room to get into when we get there.
On the other hand I can change with no fees, but we will have a layover in Atlanta. I really do not want to travel through 2 airports and 2 airplanes with the coronavirus problems.
Should we keep the 7:20am non stop flight and tough it out or change to the one with a lay over in Atlanta? What would you do?

They did the exact same thing to me flying out of CVG in November. If I lived closer to Cincinnati, I would have just rolled with it and taken the early non-stop. Unfortunately I’m over 2 hours away and would have had to leave home at 3:00 am - ugh. I opted for an early afternoon flight connecting through Atlanta (1 hr.) Instead. Not thrilled, like you said due to the virus situation. However, I’m flying free on SkyMiles, and the whole trip is still only about 4 hours, so I guess it’s not that terrible. I wear an N95 mask and eye protection in airports and planes anyway, so it will just be 2 more hours of that.

On the bright side, my flight home is still non-stop, and the departure time only got pushed back an hour to 10:30am, which is actually better! Just hoping the flights don’t change again, but they probably will, lol!

They did the exact same thing to me flying out of CVG in November. If I lived closer to Cincinnati, I would have just rolled with it and taken the early non-stop. Unfortunately I’m over 2 hours away and would have had to leave home at 3:00 am - ugh. I opted for an early afternoon flight connecting through Atlanta (1 hr.) Instead. Not thrilled, like you said due to the virus situation. However, I’m flying free on SkyMiles, and the whole trip is still only about 4 hours, so I guess it’s not that terrible. I wear an N95 mask and eye protection in airports and planes anyway, so it will just be 2 more hours of that.

On the bright side, my flight home is still non-stop, and the departure time only got pushed back an hour to 10:30am, which is actually better! Just hoping the flights don’t change again, but they probably will, lol!
That’s where we are flying out of. We are 1 and 1/2 hours away. Our return flight was pushed to later around 10:45.

Seems like this is totally a personal choice. In years past, we did the early flights, but it's not worth it to us now. Too exhausting. If we DO have to take an early flight, we stay at a hotel at the airport (preferably IN the airport and it includes parking).

Seems like this is totally a personal choice. In years past, we did the early flights, but it's not worth it to us now. Too exhausting. If we DO have to take an early flight, we stay at a hotel at the airport (preferably IN the airport and it includes parking).
I’m not sure there is a hotel in the airport I will have to check.

That’s where we are flying out of. We are 1 and 1/2 hours away. Our return flight was pushed to later around 10:45.

Sounds like we may have the same flights booked and got the same itinerary change. It’s great that you can make the early flight. FWIW, for my Sept. trip I flew out of Columbus and had to leave home before 5:00 am. Got to Disney around 11:00ish. That timeframe was entirely doable, and my room was even ready when I got there. Just be sure to take a breakfast with you, because pickings may be slim at the airport at that hour. Hope your flights are smooth and that you have a great trip!

That is what I am doing in Pittsburgh. My flight was originally 8:05am. I looked at the Airport Hyatt, which is normally $199 was available for $109. I booked it, that way I don’t have to get up early and drive to the airport. It was changed to 8:55am, I think I will still do it.

Sounds like we may have the same flights booked and got the same itinerary change. It’s great that you can make the early flight. FWIW, for my Sept. trip I flew out of Columbus and had to leave home before 5:00 am. Got to Disney around 11:00ish. That timeframe was entirely doable, and my room was even ready when I got there. Just be sure to take a breakfast with you, because pickings may be slim at the airport at that hour. Hope your flights are smooth and that you have a great trip!
Awe you lucked out with your room being ready! Yes I just checked my returning flight and it’s not 10:45, but 10;32 😂.

We fly Delta out of Detroit and always take the earliest flight. We are up around 3:30 am to catch a 7:30 flight. Taking Magical Express we arrive at the hotel in time for lunch. Been traveling like this for years!

we close our eyes on the flight, on the bus and just enjoy a relaxing first day.

I would definitely do a morning non stop flight, over a lay over. (I only fly non-stop). Travel day for me is stressful enough!

I absolutely would suck it up and take the early direct flight. If you're tired and your room isn't ready yet, go over to the Wilderness Lodge and take a nap in one of their comfy chairs in the lobby. :-) Or go on Carousel of Progress a few times.

We have the same problem. But then the kids are missing more school. Not sure how this is going to go over with the principal

There are multiple hotels around CVG..we usually get the 1st flight out in the morning for MCO. So being 2 hours away we don't want to get up earlier then we have too. This past January we scored at room at La Quinta for 99 dollars plus tax for the night. That included parking for the week and a shuttle to the airport. I don't believe they have it on their site..my husband called and asked about a park and go package.

There is a hotel actually on the grounds of CVG. I have no hesitation of booking an early flight AND no hesitation about a layover. You don't say what time the connecting flight departs. But, especially if I had the evening before free, I'd drive up the night before and stay near (or at) the airport. We are also ~90 minutes away from CVG.

Leaving from home:
7:20 Flight
5:45-6 Arrive at airport (probably don't need to be quite that early, but I'm paranoid about car problems)
4:15 Leaving from home
3:00 Wakeup

Hotel nearby
7:20 flight
5:45-6 arrive at airport
5:30 Leave hotel
4:30 wakeup (that's assuming family, if just me, 5am wakeup)

Call it $150 for an extra 90 minutes of sleep, no brainer.

And, can be at the park by Noon? Yup. Early flight for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!