Delta to be much smaller after covid-19

JetBlue said they expect reduced schedules in June and July. They also said last March they generated about $22 million per day and right now they are averaging $4 million and issuing $20 million in credits.

Yes Jetblue told us that they are to reduce flights by 40 percent in coming months when we called to cancel upcomingApril trips.
By the way, kudos to Jetblue for handling this entire ongoing situation with understanding and swift courteous reps.
Hopefully by mid /late summer things will return to normal flight patterns etc
Right now... stay healthy all!

JetBlue said they expect reduced schedules in June and July. They also said last March they generated about $22 million per day and right now they are averaging $4 million and issuing $20 million in credits.
The Delta info is not about temporarily reducing flight schedules. It's about downsizing the airline, and Delta is certainly not alone..

As I understand it, many of the airlines were holding on to older aircraft they intended to replace -- possibly due to the 737 Max problems. I guess their thinking is that they are going to get hit so hard, for so long, that they are going to be forced to significantly shrink their airlines for several years.

I suspect some of them will use Chapter 11 bankruptcy to reorganize as much smaller airlines with lower costs and then rebuild from there.

The Delta info is not about temporarily reducing flight schedules. It's about downsizing the airline, and Delta is certainly not alone..

As I understand it, many of the airlines were holding on to older aircraft they intended to replace -- possibly due to the 737 Max problems. I guess their thinking is that they are going to get hit so hard, for so long, that they are going to be forced to significantly shrink their airlines for several years.

I suspect some of them will use Chapter 11 bankruptcy to reorganize as much smaller airlines with lower costs and then rebuild from there.

Well, I initial intent is temporary but downsizing will become more likely the longer this goes on. Delta didn't have any 737 MAX orders. Airlines plan their fleets years in advance. Placing an order for an airplane results in a delivery of said aircraft at a much later date. Some orders have options to purchase more aircraft. If you give up those options then those "slots" will go to someone else. Airlines can also defer orders which I would imagine that any airline that has orders they can deferred has done so.

Retiring older aircraft isn't always such a great option. Some airlines will actually extend the life of older aircraft. The problem is that this is such a drastic decline in demand that they just simply have too many...way too many planes right now. Back in 2008, American was extending the life of it's MD-80's. Eventually those were all replaced by 737's. Fuel was extremely high then and a MD-80 does burn more but it's cheaper if you own the plane than if you're about to finance a new plane. I believe American said every new 737 came with $400k monthly payment. Like everything, though...extending the life of older aircraft requires maintenance.

When older aircraft are retired, they are usually retired when they become due for heavy maintenance checks. These heavy maintenance checks are performed by a set number of hours or cycles (# of flights), whichever one comes first. A 747 will have a high number of hours but a low number of cycles. A Hawaiian 717 doing inter-islands will have low hours but a high number of cycles. These heavy maintenance checks take 21-30 days to complete, they literally strip down the plane to just the fuselage, and it costs about $1 million. So, that's why so many will run an airplane until it hits that point and then scrap it when it's due.

I was really surprised that they still have MD-88 and 90's. Airlines don't like to have a lot of different models of planes.

If you read it closely, it doesn't really say they will remain smaller. Of course, they will be smaller as people initially won't be traveling as much. As more people start to fly again they will add more flights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!