Destash 2017 The Year to Clear

I shredded old bills and receipts. I did 3 bins of my shredder. I also tossed 4 grocery size bags of trash. 3 mailing tubes, 1 lunch bag, 2 grocery size bags of old clothes( to worn out to donate). I filled one big box of stuff to sell. I cleared out 4 shoe boxes.

I'm slowly trying to organize my craft room/office. Once I get my Kallax shelves from Ikea I will be able to get rid of 2 plastic rolling drawers.

I have a bag of gifts I have for my grand niece I just need to mail it out. A box of tide pods for DD. She takes some as needed (she's away at college). I have a box of random Christmas gifts like non slip bootie fuzzy socks. Package hair stuff, candle and glass candle holder, pens, paper pads, lil make up bags etc. I'm hoping to gift those and empty out that container. Room is looking a lot better and less clutter

I am still slowly at it. I am at 626/2017, so 31%. I really want the clutter out. I am having a hard time with the whole"it's still good, it costs X amount of money.." I also find the sentimental items very tough. I just keep skipping over them. When I stop to peruse them I just stall out while I go down memory lane.

I have so much Disney stuff. I have a huge rubbermaid bin of items from fish extender gifts and things from our disney cruises. An insane amount of pins from WDW-not sure what to do with these.

I would love to know how anyone processes the items handed down to you from family. I have an all kinds of items my parents kept, and after my dad dies, my mom started going thru boxes and keeps giving me stuff. While I love seeing it all, I can't keep it all. Same with so many of the items my kids want to keep. they have old banks, rocking horses, playmobile, hess trucks, tons and tons of legos...

Anyone who has dealt with these successfully? Love to hear what you have done? How do you pare it down?
I would get some idea on the value of the items. How old are your kids, if they are passed the Lego stage, I would get rid of them, sell them.
Collections like the old banks-the value has gone way down. Maybe pick one, and display if it is really vintage looking. Items given to us from our parents, (the worst kind of guilt keeping).

Shhhhh, my husband is on board with purging so I'm running with it while I can. I think we are going to refinance the house in December so it needs to be cleaned and organized in case the bank wants to do a walk through.

662/2017 Still moving along but not where i want to be. I have been tackling larger items so I am starting to see less crowded areas. I think I want to get rid of more than my kids do. I want to donate a bunch of Halloween stuff but am getting resistance from the family. We used to go all out when the kids were yound but now we just do a feww items inside and a few large lightup displays outside. Wait until Nov 1st when I start going thru the Christmas stuff. We have way to much and yet I still want some new items. i need to make room.

I haven't kept up with actually counting items, but I've done more this fall than I thought! (I figured it would be mostly a summer project.) We needed to create an office area for DH, so we got rid of some things stored there, and between that and another room, we replaced two old sofas and a loveseat, with one new sofa and loveseat. I cleaned out all the games that used to be underneath those, and have a huge laundry basket full to donate. (I did rescue a few and put them on a shelf where they might actually get played.)

I really want the clutter out. I am having a hard time with the whole "it's still good, it costs X amount of money.." I also find the sentimental items very tough. I just keep skipping over them. When I stop to peruse them I just stall out while I go down memory lane.

The same thing happens to me with sentimental stuff! I find that if I get some momentum going with non-sentimental items, I can get through a few of the sentimental things as well. Then when I stall, I just accept that I've done enough for that session.

Took down all Halloween decorations and I have all my garden displays pulled and all my outside vase holders. I lined them up in the garage and we need to put them in the basement. My husband wanted to do it last night, but I told him, we will do it this weekend. I need to go thru the Christmas decorations. Last year, I did a clean out and got it down to 8 bins, still too much stuff. Christmas items has to be the worst-to many memories.

I donated a trunk full last weekend - mostly clothes. I have slowed down on tossing things around the house but have some areas I need to tackle again. As soon as I can wrangle the kids, I will go through the coat closet and donate what doesn't fit.

We are finally getting the flooring replaced in the basement before the holidays. That *should* be motivating me to clear out the last of the clutter down there. Once we get a firm quote and schedule the work, I'll probably get more motivated. At least that is the plan.

Now that DD23 has moved out, her room has become the spare and slowly getting filled with miscellaneous. She's coming home for New Years so I need to clear that out for her. It's mostly old twin bedding that we need to donate. We've still been keeping some for teen sleepovers so I need to figure out what stays and what goes.

Why is it that empty spaces start getting filled for no apparent reason?

843/2017 still at it! I have another car full to go to the thrift store. Too many clothes, jackets still with tags but I just don't have it in me for another yard sale or ebay round just before the holidays. I have been working on the pantry and party supplies. We used to do big parties, even a wedding , at the house. Now, it is never more than 20/25 people. I am trying to let go of these items but I am fighting the "what IF" urge. I would hate to buy again, but I hate having so much room taken up with items we hardly use anymore.

I posted items on Facebook- Buy, sell and trade board and nothing is selling. My dh wants to get out basement finished and I looked at him like he is nuts. I don't think he realizes how much stuff we have.

I posted items on Facebook- Buy, sell and trade board and nothing is selling. My dh wants to get out basement finished and I looked at him like he is nuts. I don't think he realizes how much stuff we have.
I gave my stuff a couple of weeks, and then it went to the local Thrift shops. Just dropped some things today with a group that gives to the homeless. Once Ive decided what needs to go....it goes! lol

I gave my stuff a couple of weeks, and then it went to the local Thrift shops. Just dropped some things today with a group that gives to the homeless. Once Ive decided what needs to go....it goes! lol
We have been in our new house 3 years, and I wish I could just get rid of it all. This morning it took me over 30 minutes to find my cold weather gear. It was in one of the trillion bins we have in the basement.

5 boxes of sewing books went to the guild's annual fabric/pattern/book sale a couple of weeks ago. I only bought 1 pattern, so that was a win for sure!

Now I need to get going on my project that is also part of my brothers' Christmas present. When we had to move my dad out of his house in 2013, I ended up with all of the pictures, etc, that my mom had (she passed away in 2006). I also have pictures from my grandma when she died in 2008. We had some basement flooding this summer, and while the pictures were OK, I really need to figure out a way to display them rather than keeping them in cardboard boxes in the basement. I asked my brothers if they would like pictures of them after I scan them. Both said yes. I finally bought a tote for each of them and repurposed a tote for me. Now I need to scan and sort.

My dad, who now lives in a nursing home, has a digital frame that I change the SD card every so often. While I am scanning, I can make an album for him.

A big wooden desk that we have had in our storage shed since FIL passed away in Aug 2016 has finally been picked up by the person who wanted it!!

30 travel shampoos donated to local veterans committee

1 pair of sneakers donated
1 pair of sneakers trashed

33 items left the house yesterday

661/2017 items for the year so far 32.7% of goal

Donating our large Christmas tree to school today.
2 bags for shelter
1 bag shredded papers

DD just went through her bathroom stash and threw out 11 containers of expired products. Also donating coat, 2 sweatshirt and a skirt

I am still making progress. I am now at 932 of 2017, so 46.2%. I want to hit 1000 with in a week. I can't see me getting to 2017 unless I start counting each magazine, old bill, file...I usually just group them and count as 1. I do have at least 50 hangers though, guess those could count individually.

I am still making progress. I am now at 932 of 2017, so 46.2%. I want to hit 1000 with in a week. I can't see me getting to 2017 unless I start counting each magazine, old bill, file...I usually just group them and count as 1. I do have at least 50 hangers though, guess those could count individually.
I am going to try this for 2018, I need motivation.

I haven't had a chance. Seems like I go in spurts-lol! I'm on vacation next week so hopefully I can hit dining room, master bedroom and garage .
My goal for garage is 1-2 lrge black trash bags

a few weeks a go I got rid of some old pj's, tops and old work shoes . My foot has been bothering me so not much in the mood to declutter. Hoping to get back on track next week. My garage looks like a hoarder garage-lol! Its because I still have my large desk, large cabinet, glider, and we have a fooseball table so all the big items are in the center and it looks cluttered

Putting couple items up for sale and another bag of random stuff donated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter