Destash 2018 Bust the Dust

Turned some subscription box extras & LuLaRoe I won on FB but didn't care for into food money for when I took my daughter to college orientation. Made about $45 and got rid of 4 items. The free burger for Teachers from Red Robin helped stretch those dollars!
Tomorrow its off to Half Price Books to sell some stuff. Hopefully I'll get enough to buy our museum admission on Sunday (1/2 Price Day & youngest gets in free!)

I have the Rummage Sale pretty much set-up.
My dh almost had a heart attack. His life is so far from decluttering/cleaning/getting of rid of stuff, he is totally mistified/angry.
He took a bobble head of Robin Yount off the table and a model car-from Nascar. I told him to take another walk thru.
I guess I sort of understand his anger-In my mind/heart and soul, I have been simplifying now for over a year-and this is totally foreign to him.
He still feels his stuff is still worth money to someone some day.
He thinks we should keep presents our kids gave us-my dd does a lot of travel to foreign countries and she always brought us something home-(a hat made of rabbit skin-bongo drums-musical instruments, etc.)
Sorry, just needed to rant-

I did get rid of a cooler that I put out on the curb, someone picked it up. We had bulk-pick-up.
When we got home from somewhere, my dh didn't clean out the cooler and it had mold growing inside of it.
I refused to clean it out and I knew the garbage people were coming.
My neighbor that fishes, took it and my dh saw him clean it up.

I also threw out some undergarments.

300/2018

We've made two trips the past two weeks. One to the Teen Challenge Thrift Store, and one to Goodwill. I need to finish boxing up my garage sale leftovers, and haul another load. Probably to Goodwill, since they have a great little book store, and most of what I need to pack up is books. Two DDs will be home in two weeks, and I'm hoping that they will have a lot to either get rid of on FB Buy/Sell groups, or donations.

I just got back from vacation and it's time to start again. I want to put around 400 items in the next consignment sale, so I have to get started with cleaning and organizing the items. I told DH that he has to help because it's a lot of work.

6/11
1 team banner - sold ($7)

6/12
1 team banner - sold ($5)

6/15
1 small bag of various broken electronics - recycled
2 plastic team cups - recycled
22 books - donated

27 items left the house

755 items of 2018 or 37.41% of goal

We're still moving in the fall and trying to pack up and declutter. I used to collect a certain line of toys many years ago and they've been sitting in my garage for at least 10 years. The annual convention was within driving distance this year and I thought it would be fun to buy a table and be a vendor. I'm not sure how many exact items I sold, but we think I sold at least 40% of what I hauled there. I made slightly over double my cost to attend (tickets, vendor table, gas, hotel, food etc) so it was definitely worth it. It was a very surreal experience but my garage looks almost like a real garage now and not just filled to the brim with storage totes. I also got a lot of advice from other vendors on how to sell online, so overall, I'm very glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something new.

This was a very small declutter but none the less something left the house!!

6/17
2 Gift cards used up and recycled

2 items left the house

757 items of 2018 or 37.51% of goal

Last edited:
I'm not tracking total number of items, but we did move out quite a bit last week. We got new bedroom furniture and it was amazing how much stuff we had stuffed into the drawers of the dressers. I threw away and entire bag of undies/socks, gave a grocery bag of socks that were still good to my mom, DH filled a garbage bag with tee shirts for Goodwill and I cleaned out a whole bag of stuff to take to the consignment store. One of the old dressers got moved to a guest room to use for out of season clothes and the other one had broken drawers so it went out for garbage pick up this week.

Another day I cleaned out the linen closet/bathroom store stuff. I filled 3 small bags with expired meds, things we will never use, etc to throw out.

It's amazing how the stuff accumulates around the house.

Been under the weather this week so little got done but I managed to get 2 containers of books to Half Price Books. They gave me $15, which was enough to buy a book from the clearance section plus have enough to pay for admission to an event tonight.
Hoping to put a few things online this week to get a little spending money ASAP.

Worked on cleaning and organizing my storage shed !! :)
Took the better part of the day
I was able to get rid of a lot of stuff and actually organize some things better!!

My son took a bunch of stuff he needs for some projects and stuff he wanted

6/22
3 remote control helicopters/drones - given to nephew
3 balsa wood plane kits - put in son’s car to take to his home
1 box of misc car supplies - put in son’s car to take to his home
15 misc electronic items - put in son’s car to take to his home
2 small plastic garbage buckets - put in son’s car to take to his house
4 plastic storage boxes - put in son’s car to take to his house
1 100 ft Ethernet cable - put in son’s car to take to his house
1 50 ft Ethernet cable - put on son’s car for him to take to his house
4 mini server units - put in son’s car for him to take to his house
6 white metal shelf brackets - put in son’s car to take to his home
1 medium server unit (for parts) - put in son’s car for him to take to his house
2 Lego remote pads - put in son’s car to take to his house

2 white shelves - used in shed

1 plastic container of misc screws and nuts (not worth sorting) - trashed
10 outlet wall plates (stained/cracked) - trashed
8 metal rods - trashed
2 broken drill bits - trashed
1 binder - trashed
5 1 ft square kitchen tiles - trashed
1 tarp - trashed

4 tires - recycled
2 plastic pails - recycled
6 cardboard boxes - recycled

5 pieces of scrap plywood - burned

10 white shelves - sold
1 light fixture - sold
1 glass cover for light fixture - sold
1 100 ft telephone wire - sold
1 set of spring hinges - sold
1 dimmer switch - sold
2 regular switches - sold
2 porcelain cellar light fixtures - sold
2 four square box metal covers - sold
1 telephone plate - sold
1 bag of fork terminals - sold
1 15 ft 12-2 UF wire - sold
1 15 ft 14-3 wire - sold
1 10 ft 12-3 wire - sold
1 box of green ground screws - sold
2 panel grounding bars - sold

121 items left the house

878 items of 2018 or 43.50% of goal

Garage sale done.
My sister and niece brought a bunch of children’s riding toys over and all those sold in the first 5 minutes.

I sold all my out door chairs, all 8 right away. I should of priced them higher.

I probably had a thousand items and sold half.
I bundled 3boxes and put free and placed them at the end of my driveway
And they were all gone by the following morning.
I made 3 trips to Goodwill, my car only holds so much.
I also held on to a few items.

My DD gave me a lot of her clothes, and almost all of it sold.

I think I got a good grasp on decluttering our basement and house.
I got rid of things my 4 adult kids left at my home. It has been well over 3 years since
they have lived at home. If they really wanted an item, they would of came and got it.

800/2018

One kids fire truck and my wedding necklace went to my son’s twins. He really isn’t my son, but he grew up in my house after his parents divorced and his dad abandoned the family. He calls me mom.

I took another load to St. Vincent from the rummage sale.

850/2018

Anybody sell to Plato's Closet? How has it worked?

My 15 year old daughter took a tote there a few weeks and received $80. She was pleasantly surprised because she wasn’t expecting much since she has read they are very picky. The lady told us it was her denim items that helped her because that is what they were needing at the time.

Can I join? The house we moved into last fall was left full of the previous owner's junk. Added to ours it's a hot mess. We have finally slowed down to the point we can start decluttering and throwing stuff away. I didn't mean to let it go on this long but between health issues and non-stop work travel the last few months have been nuts.

Sitting on the curb today, hoping the trash people will take it:

1 washer (already put out another washer and dryer, someone got them in less than 12 hours)
multiple old, nasty storage tubs
multiple bags of clothes that were meant to donate but accidentally got left on the carport and got wet

hoping to get rid of this weekend:

several old throw rugs
all of our folding chairs - also left on the carport and got wet, I'm hoping Academy will have some on sale this weekend so we can get 4 new ones
a bed left by the previous owner
a six foot pile of cardboard boxes to recycling

At some point we have to tackle the storage buildings but I'm afraid of them. I'm also not sure how to dispose of the hundreds of containers of household and garden chemicals. Our city only does chemical disposal twice a year and will only take 20 lbs per household. It'll take years to clear this out at that rate.

We just got started with this!! We brought a bunch of kids ride on toys and other baby toys to a children's consignment shop. Didn't make much $, but at least it cleared about 4 feet of room in the basement! Then DH brought a stuffed chair that we've never used to his sister's garage sale.
Two big bags of baby clothes also went to the sale.

Now we're working on the kid's room and play room. So far we're on big garbage bag #2 of papers, used up coloring books, dried up play doh, broken toys or things that are otherwise useless, and we have one bag of things that can be donated or sold.

Now that the school year is over, we're finally making progress!!! :banana:

A few more items have left the house this week. Starting to close in on 50% of the goal!!:banana:

6/23
1 drone - to son’s house

6/25
4 pair of shorts - trashed

6/28
10 ink cartridges - recycled
1 cardboard box- recycled
1 Gift Card used up - recycled
1 bundle of tie straps - robotics center
1 bag of wood blocks - robotics center
1 pair of sneakers - donated
1 bag of misc robotics parts - returned to the person who lent them to us

16 items left the house

894 items of 2018 or 44.30% of goal

So yesterday I was able to get rid of so more stuff from around the house

6/29
1 roll of wax paper - to son’s house
2 rolls of aluminum foil - to son’s house
1 box of snack size zip bags - to son’s house
1 desk - to son’s house
1 big box of misc son’s stuff - to son’s house
1 server - to son’s house
1 desk - to son’s house
1 Dry Erase Board - to son’s house
1 Drone remote - to son’s house
1 Lego Bionicle - to son’s house
1 wall mount paper organizer - robotics center
2 desktop computers - robotics center
2 monitors - robotics center
2 mouse - robotics center
2 keyboards - robotics center
2 mouse pads - robotics center
1 surge protector - robotics center
2 power banks - donated
1 Kids activity pack (new) - donated
1 baseball picture frame - donated
1 belt - donated
2 star wars action figures - donated
1 belt - trashed
1 notebook (extremely sun faded and brittle) - recycled
2 cardboard boxes - recycled

34 items left the house

928 items of 2018 or 45.98% of goal

2 pair of shoes-trashed
1 towel trashed
50 CD cases trashed
4 DVD recordable donated
1 printer recycled
1 printer cartridge recycled
2 cardboard boxes recycled
5 WDW VHS tapes trashed from 2007-2011
1 cartoon VHS taped trashed

926/2018

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter