Diamond Head , how hard is it to really do?

NAB

<font color=green>That first page just got too hea
I read it is very crowded and you can’t stop to catch your breath because people are going up and down.

We walk everyday but not sure this is the same thing. Last year we it a falls in Quebec and it had thousands of steps. I made it but they had landings to stop at to catch my breath. We are 57 to you see only young fit people...lol

Last edited:
We went on a Saturday morning last June, and it was pretty crowded. My husband and I are 39 and in pretty good shape. I usually run over 3 miles every morning. My kids are also active. It was not too bad until the stair portion going up. My legs did get tired at that point. My 11 year old had to take a break in a tiny area at that point and take a water break. The part going down was easy except an older man behind me tripped because the ground was so uneven. I would bring plenty of water because we thought we did and ran out. I think you will be able to find a small area to catch your breath. Also, wear good shoes.

I'd echo the good shoes! We were told by a local that we could "do it in slippers" (sandals). I'm not sure I'd agree!

I'll also echo the fact that most of it is pretty easy except for the 175 steps toward the top. That section is narrow and you can feel rushed by those coming up behind you and people coming down. Most everyone is there on vacation though so take your time and it will be fine! It's worth it for the view from the top!

Reactions: NAB
I hiked Diamond Head and don’t exercise on a regular basis. When I do, I walk and I was fine. The hike is uphill for most of the way. When I got tired, I stood to the side so people could go around me. When I got to the stairs, I stopped when I needed to and let people pass. When you get out of the tunnel, turn to the left and take that path. You will save yourself a lot of steps on your way to the top.

We didn’t think it was overwhelming, but depending on the time of day you make the hike it could be really hot. My recommendation would be to do it in the morning to avoid some of the crowds and the heat.

Growing up in the late 80's, Diamond Head was a yearly elementary school field trip starting around the 3rd grade. I think it's one of the easiest hikes on the island because you're not crossing rivers, slippery rocks, traversing narrow paths along cliffs, or dealing with mud. For the most part, it's a low to moderate incline with lots of steps at the end.

@mickey520 Lol, I've done Diamond Head in slippers. I would have preferred sneakers, but it definitely can be done in "rubba slippas"!

Personally, I think Diamond Head is the worst hike on the island. Makapu'u Lighthouse is slightly easier, much cooler, and has better views. It is crowded, but because the path is much wider, it's less of a problem. Also, being at the top of Diamond Head is like being at the top of the Eiffel Tower - great views, but you can't see one of the city's main icons because you're literally standing on it. Tantalus offers great views of Honolulu, including views of Diamond Head.

DH and I went on our honeymoon. We're two 30 year olds, in good health and average shape, but we are not hikers by any means. The hike was a little more challenging than I anticipated given that its such a big tourist attraction, but we both made it to the top. There's a portion towards the end of the hike with lots of stairs. We were there early - around 8, 8:30am, and the trail wasn't terribly crowded, but there is a constant stream of people going up. We felt pressured to keep pace and there were very few spots to "pull over" if you needed a minute. It was even difficult to get out of the way to take photos at certain points. We definitely noticed the trail more crowded on the way back down, which was maybe 10ish at that point. The area at the top was also crowded at all times and very windy. I'll also add that the trail is mostly in the direct sun. We were ok going up, but if you go any later in the day, I imagine it gets quite hot which just adds another element of the challenge. DH and I both agreed we were glad we did it, but it's not something we'd repeat on a future trip. We also had to go back to our hotel to shower and change afterward before we could do anything else for the day - I think a lot of people tend to overlook this when planning which may cause a snag if you're planning to be away from your resort all day.

If you have a serious medical issue on Diamond Head, the only method of rescue is to strap you into a wire litter and lower you to the waiting ambulance by helicopter. Small children are strapped onto the chest of the First Responder on a line dangling below the helicopter.

If you think that is scary, wait till you see the medical bill!

I saw this happen several times on the day that I was on Diamond Head.

For most people, all you need is food, water, sun protection and proper footwear. Enjoy the hike but please respect the environment and the special situation.

-Paul

My young kids and I thought it was ‘easy’ even in the very hot weather. We come from the Rocky Mountains though. That being said, the day we hiked it there was a evac helicopter airlifting someone off the top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter