Did Animal Kingdom become the new Epcot future world??!!

Is Animal Kingdom the new Epcot future world?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ryan D

Earning My Ears
I just got back from a fantastic trip to the parks and on the last day I came up with an interesting observation.
We decided to go to Animal Kingdom, on the Monday of TG week, which meant there was no going on any rides (if you know what I mean). Upon entering we decided to do the Wilderness Explorer handbook (I will assume you know what I am talking about). Let me just say that this 'adventure' is not just for kids. We had a blast going around the park and finding all the guides and leaders and clues which took a major part of the day and was much better that waiting in long lines for rides and shows. We ended the experience saying "Animal Kingdom is your local zoo on steroids! We left that day with more knowledge and exciting memories than if we would have just done rides.
I remember long ago that I would feel the same way about going to Epcot future world. The education, learning, exploring and interactions were what made Epcot future world my favorite and long lasting memory. As a kid and young adult I would leave Epcot feeling like I learned something new and exciting. As we all know this is really no longer the case. I know there are still remnants of these experiences but not like what we had at AK this past trip.
So I ask .... Has Animal Kingdom taken that away from Epcot?

I really wish they would do something like wilderness explorers in Future World with interactive exhibits/CM interactions in each Pavilion and a revamped Innoventions.

I really wish they would do something like wilderness explorers in Future World with interactive exhibits/CM interactions in each Pavilion and a revamped Innoventions.

That would be awesome. When DS was younger (he is 10 now), he was much more interested in spending time in Innoventions than riding any rides. We also did all of Wilderness Explorers over the course of 4 half days (took about 2 trips to complete) and we had never experienced AK like that before. It really took us into areas we had never gone to before and we learned so many new things. We definitely enjoyed AK more by doing the adventure. Yes, I think if they did this in WS FW it would be amazing!

I don't really think that EPCOT ever focused much on environmentalism/conservation. A wee tiny little bit in Universe of Energy, but not really.... not what we would think of environmentalism today. Living With the Land is the closest attraction really and it's a sad concept of what it COULD be. And they do a bit with the aquarium, but again, lots of room to improve Guest Attractions in this area!

I don't really think that EPCOT ever focused much on environmentalism/conservation. A wee tiny little bit in Universe of Energy, but not really.... not what we would think of environmentalism today. Living With the Land is the closest attraction really and it's a sad concept of what it COULD be. And they do a bit with the aquarium, but again, lots of room to improve Guest Attractions in this area!

Really interesting point. Epcot's Future World was basically a corporate expo. Universe of Energy. for years funded by ExxonMobil Corporation, is probably the best example of this. While giving some nods to conservation, it was mostly designed to share the large oil company's perspective on why it's not so easy to ditch fossil fuels and why oil drilling will be necessary for a long time to come. The science presented in that pavilion, which evolved over the years, was certainly credible enough but focused very much on the present and less on a fossil-free future.

Our last trip we unfortunately were not able to make the time to go to AK so we missed out on that perspective. I can only share my impressions of EPCOT which is, yeah, what you said: a giant corporate expo.

Of course they also now have the "conservation" app that links up with Park activities at AK, so I am sure we will have TONS of fun playing with that upon our next trip :)

I've never thought of FW as being like that. Even when Innovations was full of exhibits.
Now, I can see WS being more similar to AK. You can go country to country, speak to representatives from various places, gets passports stamped (WE books at AK), etc.

That sounds awesome. I've never done it, but it sounds so cool. Do you think kids (who both love animals) ages 6 and 3 would enjoy it also? Or would it be a bit over their heads at that age still?

I don't think it's taken away from Future World. The issue there is that Disney isn't sure what to do and has let pavilions flounder. There are so many possibilities to look at exciting technological potential at Future World and still incorporate thrills and even characters.

Getting back to your original post, the Wilderness Explorers at DAK is amazing. My girls loved it when we were there in 2016, and I can't wait to do it again when we go in 2018. It really made me appreciate that park so much more. You go slower and really see why it's so great. They talked about it for long afterwards, and I had a lot of fun too as a parent.

Looking at the revised map, you'll see that Future World is about to be reborn into a thrill area (long time coming, given the Test Track and Mission:Space creep). Guardians ensures this. With Frozen, Ratatouille, and (assume) Coco coming soon, the entire park is being transformed. Enjoy it while you can.

We can spend all day at AK and never go on any of the rides (aside from the Safari maybe) It's our favourite park just to walk around. There is so much to see and do. I never understand how people call is a half day park unless they just do the rides and leave again.

This is what the Passport in WS is, to some degree. Not with the exact format like WE does but you do go to each pavilion and you do speak with CM from each country, get them to write in your book, get stamps, learn from them, etc. You can make it as detailed as you want.

That sounds awesome. I've never done it, but it sounds so cool. Do you think kids (who both love animals) ages 6 and 3 would enjoy it also? Or would it be a bit over their heads at that age still?

The great thing about this activity is you do it independently around the park, so depending how much your kids get into it and enjoy it, you can do more of it or save it for next time. They will get a booklet, and stop at stations around the park to do a short activity to earn a badge(sticker) and try to fill the book, which usually takes more than one trip. Some parts you would help them read or solve a puzzle, some just listening to CM and answering a question about the info., so younger kids can do it with help if they are interested - CMs will gear it to their level. It is fun but time consuming, so depends on what else you are doing for your day - we approached the first time by doing stations we were passing during our trek around the park, stopping for 5-10 min. between our rides/shows/trails. Then on next trip we had two days at AK, so second day DD wanted to try and get done so we spent time targeting stations in each land as we did a few key things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter