Did anyone else go off their home resort?

Cinderella

DIS Veteran
My home resort is VWL. I have only stayed at OKW. My favourite resort in the whole of WDW is WL - or it used to be - which is why i bought at VWL.

For the past four years or so, I have been unable to go to wdw for a variety of reasons, but now i can.

I have SSR booked for December, but have waitlisted VWL, as WL is also my DS's favourite resort. But, I have this strange feeling in the back of my mind that I don't want to stay there.

I bought DVC with my ex husband - we split up well over a year ago, and my new partner is coming along on this trip. I'm trying to do new things we haven't done before, but obviously, you can't avoid every place you've ever been in WDW. And I never even stayed at the VWL with my ex - only WL.

Has anyone else had this problem with their home resort - going off it for any or no particular reason? Have you stayed their since, and did you enjoy it?

:banana:
Anywhere in DVC is Home!
Although we own @ SSR...decided to book @ BWV this 2/06!
We're planning on staying at all of them over the next 6 years!
Just because our "home base" is SSR doesn't mean we shouldn't
take advantage of the rest of the "World!" Just two for example...
BWV...for location to Epcot & MGM..."Keister Coaster"
VWL...direct route to the "Kingdom"..."Water Mice"..the fastest there
Every resort has it's own flavor...that's what makes DVC GREAT!

We have owned at OKW since 10/00 and have stayed here a few times and once at the BWV. We also bought at BCV in 02 and have yet to stay here. We usually invite someone with us so we have stayed at OKW where we can get the most out of our points - and it does not hurt that we love OKW and love the size of the units. I tried BCV for Easter last year (reserved a few months before) and it was not available - BWVs were and we decided here. Hopefully someday we will try them all. As long as I get a non-smoking unit, I am a happy camper anywhere I stay with DVC.

Mmmm - i'm starting to wonder if it's really because of all that wood. I used to love all the wood at WL - then i bought an old house with lots of wooden beams - and lots of huge spiders come out of the cracks. Not that I've seen lots of spiders at WL!

We own at, and have stayed primarily at, SSR. We have begun the habit of staying one night (our travel day from Phoenix) at a non-SSR studio. This allows us to sample the other resorts yet still stay at our favorite, SSR (we also get to check in nice and early - can you say "Room Ready"? I knew you could).

I'm one of those (so far, in the minority) that thinks that the tastes and desires of many DVC owners will change over the next few decades of ownership; particularly those who have bought in at a younger age and/or have children. Think about it - what those in their 20's value isn't necessarily what those in their 40's value; same for with childen and without.

IMHO, this is going to lead to two shifts - which resort people stay at, and what I call "park fatigue". The dark wood of VWL that was so cool when you were 27 might start to seem dreary when in your 40's. The ease of car access that made SSR once seem too spread out might be a lot more important 20 years from now. And, after your 28th trip to WDW, you might start to value a day where you sleep in, have breakfast, read a book by the pool, have a nice dinner out and hit the sack early, without coming near a theme park.

IMHO - YMMV

I became a member a few months ago. I have all my points at VWL.

My first use of points was to book two nights at Grand Californian. In February, I'll be spending three nights at BWV. In May, I have five nights booked at HHI. It won't be until September 2006 that I finally stay where I own. (I'd like to stay at VB as well during the trip, but I can't book that part of it yet.)

I'd also like to stay at all the DVC resorts eventually. And I look at the times I don't stay at VWL as a chance for someone else who might not own there to stay.

it wasn't exactly the same but I think I know what you are feeling.

My grandmother use to take us to WDW. then she died. It was 7 years before I could afford to take just mother and me back.

we stayed offsite - couldn't afford either the Con or Polyn, I didn't know about the DI.

well we did Epcot just fine. It was brand new. It had only opened the year before.

then we went to MK - we cried and cried. Had to leave the park. We really missed grandmother.

but time does heal. It was 3 years before we returned. This time, it wasn't so bad to visit the MK.

the next time we even stayed at the Polyn - didn't go near the rooms we stayed with Grandmother.

give it time - you will love WL/VWL again. Promise....

My main points are with OKW, but I also own small amounts in both BWV and VWL.

we often stay at OKW because I like to kept my points.....

my friends want to stay at BCV.

my family (nephew - teenager) wants to stay at BWV.

sorry I happen to love OKW - one of the main reason is the lower point requirements.

When staying at DVC accommodations, we haved only used our points at our home resorts (VWL & VB).
We have used points for the Disney Collection (Poly, AKL, and YC).

Although all the DVC resorts are great, I don't think I can bring myself to stay at a different DVC Resort... :scared:

MG

I took a trip with my ex husband. A honeymoon trip. When I got remarried, I took my new husband down for a honeymoon. There were years in between the trips and because my first marriage was plagued with money issues and was short, there had only been one trip.

My new huband (the keeper) had never been to Disney while the ex had spent a lot of time there. So the trips were really different. My ex and I had both been a few times before. So it was great that I showed my new husband things I loved and he got to discover Disney (a trip he took reluctantly - not an amusement park guy). I don't remember even thinking about the first while I was there - we were so busy. Besides, I don't let my ex control my life, done with that.

So enjoy the things you enjoy. I discovered that one of the best things I could do to get rid of my ex was to do the things I enjoyed that he didn't - like eat Mexican, go to romantic movies, etc. There have to be things a Disney that you enjoy that your ex never did.

However, if it was your ex who loved WL, maybe you don't need to stay there. You may discover you love SSR or one of the other resorts. Fortunately, you have options.

Our first contract is VWL, but we have not stayed there for a couple of years now. Really, really like OKW where our second contract is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter