Diet Madness - Tony's Town Square Review

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
I have to say, this episode is so full of anecdotes, that even my critical side was completely admonished.

I now vote for a new Dis-Unplugged t-shirt with the catch phrase..."That chicken died very, very old in a rocking chair with hate in it’s heart". I just can't imagine coming up with that, on the spot, during a round table discussion. Well done!

Last edited:
You're right, @hertamaniac - great show! Won't do any spoilers, but have to say - I had the same "veggie trauma" as Pete growing up (mine were brussels, asparagus, and spinach - I LOVE spinach now, still DETEST the other two!!!!), and agree - the "paring" that was done (being vague to avoid spoiling) with the cheesecake is extremely odd. But great show guys, thanx!! :)

I enjoyed the seasonal cheesecake that I had in January. I thought the chocolate candy stem was really cute.

No vinegar.

B7040F7F-3B9E-4FFC-8FBA-39408D32C90E.jpeg

The Chicken Parmigiana I had wasn’t good and I don’t even remember my appetizer.

It’s good to hear that they’re trying to make it better. I won’t be rushing back, but it’s at least good to hear that they’re serving a decent steak.

Without spoiling it too much for those who haven't seen it...their uproar over the one dessert with the combo that seems so odd to them is actually something I've seen done with a decent amount of success at several Italian places. It usually does involve strawberries/mixed berries (and sometimes basil and/or some kind of citrus), but it can be done and it can be good. Just wonder if this is something Tony's needs to work on.

I hear ya, @TiggerTrigger , and totally agree on having had/seen/enjoyed it with fruit, etc. - seemed odd at first, but is quite good. But (again, trying not spoil) just the way it was, with NO fruit - just seemed really weird. And I'll try weird, but have to trust all their judgement (and it was unanimous) that it was NOT good.

I enjoyed the seasonal cheesecake that I had in January. I thought the chocolate candy stem was really cute.

No vinegar.

View attachment 326407

The Chicken Parmigiana I had wasn’t good and I don’t even remember my appetizer.

It’s good to hear that they’re trying to make it better. I won’t be rushing back, but it’s at least good to hear that they’re serving a decent steak.

Is that sauce balsamic vinegar too?? :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Without spoiling it too much for those who haven't seen it...their uproar over the one dessert with the combo that seems so odd to them is actually something I've seen done with a decent amount of success at several Italian places. It usually does involve strawberries/mixed berries (and sometimes basil and/or some kind of citrus), but it can be done and it can be good. Just wonder if this is something Tony's needs to work on.

I was thinking the same thing in that I have seen it before ... but to expect it to be chocolate and only find out it isn’t when you taste it was probably quite alarming

I absolutely 100% agree about the chicken fettuccine. It was hands down the worst meal I have had on property. And just like they experienced, the chicken I was served was inedible. It was horrible!

I hear ya, @TiggerTrigger , and totally agree on having had/seen/enjoyed it with fruit, etc. - seemed odd at first, but is quite good. But (again, trying not spoil) just the way it was, with NO fruit - just seemed really weird. And I'll try weird, but have to trust all their judgement (and it was unanimous) that it was NOT good.

I was thinking the same thing in that I have seen it before ... but to expect it to be chocolate and only find out it isn’t when you taste it was probably quite alarming

And that's just it...I don't question them saying it was poorly executed and didn't taste right...because it sounds like it was missing some of the flavor components that normally brings this together to make it a success...or maybe it was too deconstructed to bring it all together. It just sounded to me like none of them had ever seen this before, and then Charles went on to talk about his chef girlfriend, who said it's not a thing. But it is. So, that's where my issue came in, since we have seen this in restaurants as well as a handful of cooking shows and food sites/magazines. I mean, I totally get that it would blindside you if you assumed it was chocolate and the menu failed to properly detail what would be on the plate. Oh well.

And that's just it...I don't question them saying it was poorly executed and didn't taste right...because it sounds like it was missing some of the flavor components that normally brings this together to make it a success...or maybe it was too deconstructed to bring it all together. It just sounded to me like none of them had ever seen this before, and then Charles went on to talk about his chef girlfriend, who said it's not a thing. But it is. So, that's where my issue came in, since we have seen this in restaurants as well as a handful of cooking shows and food sites/magazines. I mean, I totally get that it would blindside you if you assumed it was chocolate and the menu failed to properly detail what would be on the plate. Oh well.

I agree with you. It totally is a thing. Balsamic vinegar (GOOD balsamic vinegar) is sweet and syrupy and is very frequently paired with cheese and acidic fruits like berries.

I have had cheesecake with balsamic glaze and berries before and it was great.

I have had cheesecake with balsamic glaze and berries before and it was great.
I haven't listened to the show yet and have never eaten at Tony's but that sounds delicious. I love a good balsamic reduction over pretty much anything. I certainly agree that if you're expecting chocolate syrup, you'd be very surprised though.

I've had the red wine reduction sauce at Jiko over the steak, but this pairing at dessert seems odd; I wonder if that would pair better given the cheese aspect.

As others said, maybe it's best paired with fruits. :scratchin

The point I was basically trying to convey (and I'm pretty sure they were saying, although I can't speak for them) is "Somebody should clue in Tony's - they need to add berries to this recipe" because the Balsamic BY ITSELF - apparently - is not good, not a thing, and offputting. Sorry if I didn't verbalize my thoughts/comments clearly before, hope I did a better job now. The up side is - they all seemed to be very confident the new chef will listen and try different things, as far as the bean counters will let her.

And this thought is aside, and unique, from the thinking it was chocolate thing - whole 'nother thing going on there!!

I am glad to hear Disney is working to improve it's dining, which I think is overall great; but could use some improvement.

I only vaguely remember going here, but I recall my brother and I (who were two athletic pre-teen / teenagers) did not even half way finish our spaghetti and meatballs. I am glad I don't really remember it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!