Difference in cabin category, balcony vs spacious... worth it?

Princesca

<3 Pink sugar heart attack! <3
My TA has pointed out that I can upgrade a balcony (1D) to a spacious balcony (1C) in the same deck/general area of the ship (Odyssey) for a small cost. Is this worth it? For reference, it's just two adults and one toddler. Some people seem to be saying that change gets you a bigger balcony but a smaller room, which doesn't make sense to me...

I'm not sure that the upgrade would be worth it... what we really need is a bathtub as our toddler isn't a fan of showers. Thinking we'll bring a tiny inflatable pool and stick that in the bottom of the shower and do it that way.

My TA has pointed out that I can upgrade a balcony (1D) to a spacious balcony (1C) in the same deck/general area of the ship (Odyssey) for a small cost. Is this worth it? For reference, it's just two adults and one toddler. Some people seem to be saying that change gets you a bigger balcony but a smaller room, which doesn't make sense to me...

I'm not sure that the upgrade would be worth it... what we really need is a bathtub as our toddler isn't a fan of showers. Thinking we'll bring a tiny inflatable pool and stick that in the bottom of the shower and do it that way.
IMO, it's hard to say if anything is "worth it" without knowing the cost. You say "small", but that's relative. Only $5 for everyone? Sure, go for it. $100 per day per person? Maybe not.

According to this link: https://www.icruise.com/ships/royal...s-staterooms.html?LsID=13&SailDate=08/05/2023, a 1D cabin is 198sqft with a 55sqft balcony. A 1C cabin is 182sqft with an 80sqft balcony. Looking at deck plans, it looks like the 1C have balconies at the start/end of the "hump".

Will you notice a slightly (16sqft, so about a 4'x4' square) smaller cabin with a nearly 50% larger balcony? If the cost difference between the two is negligible, I'd go for it.

I haven't sailed Royal in 20 years so I can't help with room size. BUT I have sailed a lot with kids who need naps. The balcony will be your favorite space! My kids, even after outgrowing naps, needed some midday down time in the cabin. Husband and I would always get a cheese plate and some wine and enjoy the quiet time on the balcony while the kids napped. Extra balcony space is always worth it to us!

Upgrading to a spacious balcony (1C) seems beneficial. It offers a larger outdoor area, making your balcony experience more enjoyable. However, considering your toddler's preference for baths, it's wise to ensure bathtub availability before finalizing. The inflatable pool idea is creative and could work well for your family's needs.

Upgrading to a spacious balcony (1C) seems beneficial. It offers a larger outdoor area, making your balcony experience more enjoyable. However, considering your toddler's preference for baths, it's wise to ensure bathtub availability before finalizing. The inflatable pool idea is creative and could work well for your family's needs.
I would hope an inflatable pool would not be allowed on the ship as if it spills it could impact surrounding balconies . I know I would not be happy if I were sitting on my balcony next door or below and had my area suddenly wet from splashing or spilling of said pool. Yes, I know it does rain and can get wet, but that is unavoidable, unlike the pool. Just my opinion of course.

With a toddler, might not be a big deal with regards to space so it's really about how much you value the extra room.

As the toddler becomes a child/tween/teen, you'll notice those few extra square feet.

I would hope an inflatable pool would not be allowed on the ship as if it spills it could impact surrounding balconies . I know I would not be happy if I were sitting on my balcony next door or below and had my area suddenly wet from splashing or spilling of said pool. Yes, I know it does rain and can get wet, but that is unavoidable, unlike the pool. Just my opinion of course.
In the OP, they reference using the inflatable pool in the shower, which makes sense to me. I think you need to book a suite in order to have a bathtub.

In the OP, they reference using the inflatable pool in the shower, which makes sense to me. I think you need to book a suite in order to have a bathtub.
oh thanks for pointing that out:worship: (have actually seen posts long ago on another board where people WERE talking about the balcony!- but obviously this is NOT the case) Using one in the shower IS creative, but wonder if they could get the dimensions ahead of time and see if they could get a pool to fit that ! But yes, if I were a parent(of a young child) I might opt for the bathtub myself. Also, we are actually booked in the bigger balcony and not sure if it really was worth doing as I am reading it is deeper not wider- which is not really optimal for the 3 adults using it(but a little late now to switch as our ship for Sept 2024 is pretty full lol)

Also, we are actually booked in the bigger balcony and not sure if it really was worth doing as I am reading it is deeper not wider- which is not really optimal for the 3 adults using it(but a little late now to switch as our ship for Sept 2024 is pretty full lol)
I do believe the "spacious" balconies are just deeper. Not sure why a 3rd adult makes that "not really optimal". From what I can remember, there's still room for three people to stand at the railing.

Last two cruises we specifically booked hump balconies for the larger balcony. We also had family next door so we opened the divider wall. Upcoming we also have a hump balcony but family is down the hall with regular balcony (booked too late) and other across hall with inside Central Park balcony. We found the difference in balcony size mattered FOR US (3 adults). We got extra seating so we could all sit. The regular balcony wouldn't have been able to handle the extra furniture so we wouldn't all be able to enjoy together. And we felt no difference in cabin size compared to when we had a regular balcony prior.

It would be a personal choice though.

I do believe the "spacious" balconies are just deeper. Not sure why a 3rd adult makes that "not really optimal". From what I can remember, there's still room for three people to stand at the railing.
Not optimal as since the extra space is length not width not worth it to US as three adults cannot all sit and see the water as having it deeper really doesn't do anything to enhance our enjoyment of the outside area, just MY opinion !

Last two cruises we specifically booked hump balconies for the larger balcony. We also had family next door so we opened the divider wall. Upcoming we also have a hump balcony but family is down the hall with regular balcony (booked too late) and other across hall with inside Central Park balcony. We found the difference in balcony size mattered FOR US (3 adults). We got extra seating so we could all sit. The regular balcony wouldn't have been able to handle the extra furniture so we wouldn't all be able to enjoy together. And we felt no difference in cabin size compared to when we had a regular balcony prior.

It would be a personal choice though.
When you said you got extra seating, do you mean they actually brought you an additional deck
chair for third person?

When you said you got extra seating, do you mean they actually brought you an additional deck
chair for third person?
Yes. Last two cruises they brought another chair. So three chairs and little table. Last cruise they even had a stool for a chair. (Harmony)

Yes. Last two cruises they brought another chair. So three chairs and little table. Last cruise they even had a stool for a chair. (Harmony)
Wow! that would certainly make the bigger balcony worth it after all. Hopefully they will do this for us on the Wonder next Sept!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter