Differences in resale prices.

lovethesun12

DIS Veteran
Hello!

I've been looking through listings lately for various DVC resorts and have a few questions.

Is it common for there to be huge differences in resale price (per point) for the same resort and same number of points but different resale companies? Are certain resale companies typically cheaper than others? Are some companies "sugarcoating" the actual price somehow?

I've seen a range of $84/point to $110/point for the same number of point contract for AKL. It seems disney would almost have to exercise ROFR for something being sold that low ($84/pt) presently.

It seems prices are much higher than they were a few months ago. I wonder if they might go back down and if this is related to the fluctuation.

There is one company who has traditionally had much higher prices than others, but over the last year or so, most of the others started copying the expensive company's pricing.

The prices may or may not come down during December-January as they traditionally have following the mailing of the annual dues bills.

To speak about disney ROFR and the price. There is no logic. When we purchased our second we were $11 less with the same points as the one that was picked by Disney. I sometimes think it might come down to how the points were allocated first and if they cam combine them. But who knows

It's difficult to compare contracts unless you also consider the status of the points - some contracts have banked points, plus all current use year and future use year points. Some contracts have no banked points and no points for current or current +1. use year. Some contracts have reservation points, points in holding, transferred points, etc. Some sellers will expect the buyer to pay closing costs and reimburse for annual fees. Every contract is different.

Some sellers are just more motivated or in tune with the current market than others as well. Sort of like the housing market. You see some houses sell in a week and others sit on the market for years because they are priced too high and refuse to come down. The obvious difference here is that the value of a house is moderately subjective, while 130 SSR points is the same no matter what buyer you get it from. I am assuming that some sellers do not think of this fact, though.

I've heard Fidelity gets a lot of contracts from sellers in "distress" so they're prices always seem the lowest (from what I've looked at). However, they are almost always gone in an instant. I realize *someone* is getting them, but it may not be realistic to expect to purchase a contract at that low price. More like a good luck kind of thing. Fidelity also has a $200ish fee but I'd say that's only a potential dealbreaker if you're looking at a small contract.

As for ROFR, I noticed UY seemed to play a big role at times, but it may not only be use year.... more specifically the unit a contract is assigned. This would be so that DVC can combine contracts to resell at different # of points. This would explain why sometimes they let a crazy low price get passed but then take a higher priced one the next week.

Is there a certain UY that Disney seems to want back?

I am sure they have their eye out for certain ones at certain times, but it is impossible to predict when they will want a particular one. To make things even more fun to try to predict, within each use years there are specific "units". Large direct sales must fall within the same unit. It is really hard to find out what unit each contract being offered is under. Following ROFR general trends is the best bet on what should be offered, knowing full well that any offer can be "randomly" (to us, anyway) taken.

I've heard Fidelity gets a lot of contracts from sellers in "distress" so they're prices always seem the lowest (from what I've looked at). However, they are almost always gone in an instant. I realize *someone* is getting them, but it may not be realistic to expect to purchase a contract at that low price. More like a good luck kind of thing. Fidelity also has a $200ish fee but I'd say that's only a potential dealbreaker if you're looking at a small contract.

As for ROFR, I noticed UY seemed to play a big role at times, but it may not only be use year.... more specifically the unit a contract is assigned. This would be so that DVC can combine contracts to resell at different # of points. This would explain why sometimes they let a crazy low price get passed but then take a higher priced one the next week.
yep 195.00 fee, but well worth it to us for buying a great deal!

yep 195.00 fee, but well worth it to us for buying a great deal!
Fidelity is going to be my first choice as I believe they will come out cheapest. But if I can't make much progress with them in a certain amount of time, I will probably look elsewhere.

Fidelity is going to be my first choice as I believe they will come out cheapest. But if I can't make much progress with them in a certain amount of time, I will probably look elsewhere.
Getting on everyone's email list was the way to go, then I just compared prices on listings and when we saw one that was in our range we made an offer. They get updated often, and things go fast.

Getting on everyone's email list was the way to go, then I just compared prices on listings and when we saw one that was in our range we made an offer. They get updated often, and things go fast.

This, don't tie yourself to a specific company get on everyone's list and jump on whatever you think will work for you and offer a reasonable price that you are willing to pay. The minute my husband saw our latest contract he put in an offer, I don't even think he was paying attention to who he was responding to, he found what we wanted and just replied and put in an offer.

This, don't tie yourself to a specific company get on everyone's list and jump on whatever you think will work for you and offer a reasonable price that you are willing to pay. The minute my husband saw our latest contract he put in an offer, I don't even think he was paying attention to who he was responding to, he found what we wanted and just replied and put in an offer.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

This was a great thread..... I've really been surprised at the different or lack of response from several companies.

Remember: Just because someone is asking for a certain price, doesn't mean that they are actually getting that price for their contract. On our last resale, we negotiated on a fully loaded contract to a price below what was being asked for some stripped contracts. Every deal is different.

Remember: Just because someone is asking for a certain price, doesn't mean that they are actually getting that price for their contract. On our last resale, we negotiated on a fully loaded contract to a price below what was being asked for some stripped contracts. Every deal is different.
same!

Some sites also do a better job of keeping their listings more up to date than others. I appreciate that Fidelity added some sorting options to their site. I don't appreciate that listings that say 'Available' are actually not available. That type of oversight (or lack thereof) is one of my 'minor' gripes about the whole resale buying process.

Some sites also do a better job of keeping their listings more up to date than others. I appreciate that Fidelity added some sorting options to their site. I don't appreciate that listings that say 'Available' are actually not available. That type of oversight (or lack thereof) is one of my 'minor' gripes about the whole resale buying process.

Is that common with them? I inquired about an "available" one recently and they said it was taken.

Is that common with them? I inquired about an "available" one recently and they said it was taken.
Same thing happened with me today - made an offer last night and when I called to follow up, they said it was already in contract but I could be the "backup" if the deal fell through. They said that their email lists were getting too unwieldy and unable to keep up to date, so best thing was to check first thing in the AM (or after midnight) since they said the website updates at midnight.

And there, I've given away whatever edge I might have had on any contracts on Fidelity.

(That said, back in March, the BLT contract I bought never hit the broker's website because I called when I got the email. Since we were in contract hours later, I guess no one saw a need to update the website)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!