Difficulty with Universal Reservations and cancellation VERY LONG

Cora

Constantly in trip planning mode...I want to go aw
Here is a letter I sent today, after several very frustrating conversations with the reservation dept at Universal. I also sent this to Loews, I think they should know what is going on.

Oh and I left this out of the letter. During my conversation today with David I mentioned I booked my dream concierge room at Disney. After having dealt with Universal reservations I may not again come to Universal. I also stated that I would be informing friends of my treatment. His response, "That's ok, we make 10 times more than Disney. So go there it doesn't matter." That shocked me. I'm just hoping I will be proven wrong and will find some magic in our August trip to Universal.

Universal Studios
ATTN: Guest Services

June 13, 2001

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing regarding my now canceled reservation (No.______). I made this reservation online at the Universal Website on April 15, 2001. I made this online because the reservationist at Universal was unable to secure this package through your telephone inventory.

I was planning our 10th anniversary. My husband and I decided Universal’s Portofino would be a romantic place for our anniversary. After doing research we decided we would love to have a Villa Room (we’ve never had concierge and thought this would be a great treat). So I called the 800-711-0080 number and spoke with a reservationist. I was confused since I could not find the Villa Room listing online. I was told the name had changed to Deluxe Pool View, but it still had the concierge amenities. Since your telephone staff could not get inventory, I accessed it online and booked it.

After this occurred I started to see reports on the Internet about no more concierge at the Portofino. I became concerned because this is what I booked and what we wanted. I called the 800# on May 5th and spoke with Sam who confirmed that concierge was gone. I then inquired as to the butler concierge and that too was discontinued. However, he checked with his “Lead Coach”, Ruby, and was informed that at check-in we would receive $100 refund per night (at check-in) and complimentary room service. I went out on the Internet and queried if anyone had heard of this. No one had. So I called several times between May 5 and May 19 requesting that I get this in writing. I could not. As a result, my husband and I decided to cancel this on May 19.

On May 19 I called the 800# and spoke with Christine. I told her my situation and how I booked a concierge room that did not exist. She put me on hold and spoke with a supervisor (I don’t have the name) and came back and told me that the penalty would be waived.

Well, today I receive a message at home from a woman, she left no name, saying that my refund was being processed and that there was a penalty of $25 per person. She then said if you have any questions, please call (she left no number). I did later find out her name is Melanie. I called the 800# and was immediately given to David at the Help Desk, who was really no help. The only thing that kept being repeated was “Sorry, the hotel made the changes, we can’t do anything about that. You have to pay the penalty.” This theme was the same throughout my conversation with David and his supervisor Yanira. I tried to make them understand that I booked a non-existent room. But again, it’s not us it’s the hotel.

The only thing that Yanira could suggest is that I write a letter.

I BOOKED with UNIVERSAL not Loews. I will give one consolation, I do have a reservation in August at the Hard Rock for 3 nights. It’s room only. They did try to credit me on that reservation, but again, it’s the hotel and it’s room only, so they can’t do anything. Each person I did speak to apologized, but that doesn’t fix my problem. And quite honestly, at this point, if I did not have passes I would cancel this reservation as well.

If I had canceled this on a whim because I just didn’t want to come I would willingly pay the penalty. However, I canceled this because what I bought and what is described are different, actually not different, it doesn’t exist and I was not able to get in writing what I was told that would take place during my stay. We wanted the Portofino, since we are at the Hard Rock in August. The Portofino also seemed very romantic. We wanted concierge because it is a dream of ours and it’s our 10th anniversary. Plain and simple, this is what we wanted and we didn’t get it.

I think you need to realize that the public’s perception is that the hotels are UNIVERSAL. I am totally amazed at the lack of empowerment that you give to your reservationists and upline supervisors. I have a good 10 years in customer service and legal and have never seen this little authority given to customer service providers.

I wanted you to be aware of this situation. I wanted you to take note of the public’s perception. And I wanted you to know that this August trip may be our last to Universal. Which is really a shame, since we travel to Orlando, for pleasure, about 3 times per year.

Sincerely,

cc: Loews Hotels

How Frustrating!! I would be completely livid at this point!! I would definately try to contest it with your credit card company

Hezell23,
Oh my...thanks...I forgot about that avenue!
Cora

Good letter. Let us know what happens.

Judging by other posts about the Butler services, you are lucky that they don't have them, the Butler's were incompitent.

Cora,

PM me maybe I can help you...........

Debbie

The Butler service still exists I believe, it's the Concierge level that was scrapped.

Butler service is gone too!
Cora

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter