Dining +/- Characters at HKDL

sclarked

Earning My Ears
Hi there,

Does anyone have a favourite restaurant for a character dining experience at HKDL?

I'm looking at staying at Explorer's Lodge with my family (kids will be 6 and almost 4) and would love to plan a character dining meal. I'm thinking of organising breakfast for the morning that we check out and will NOT be going to the parks, but could possibly be convinced to do a dinner as well.

Character Dining aside, what's everyone's favourite restaurant at the resort, and why?

(I'm totally sold on the idea of character dining after my husband and I had an AMAZING meal at Tusker House in WDW Orlando. We were travelling without our kids, and ALL of the characters stopped by our table when they realised that we were FaceTiming them back home in Australia to wave and say hi to them. Absolute highlight of our trip.)

Following as I'm interested in this too! Sorry I can't help as I have never visited the park before: going for the first time in March, staying at Explorers too.

We were at Discovery Lodge last year, and was on a 2-days package with breakfast included, one with characters @ Dragon Wind and the other at WOC ( no characters ). You can check out the characters sessions and time on the HKDL website. During that time when we were there only Dragon Wind had characters.
It turns out Goofy came in to WOC and visited each table. At Dragon Wind, we had to queue to take a photo with Mickey. So the experience at WOC was much better.

You can also visit the other 2 hotels. They also have character dinings (Chef Mickey in Hollywood Hotel and Enchanted Garden in Disneyland Hotel)

We did two Character Meal / Buffets during our May Trip, both breakfasts. Enchanted Garden at the DL Hotel and Dragon Wind at Explorer's Lodge. Enchanted Garden had better character interaction. We had Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and Goofy and they came to the table. Dragon Wind just had Mickey & Minnie, but they were wearing their Explorer outfits. You were given a ticket, and then you presented the ticket when you queued up to meet them.

Dragon Wind had better food, and the restaurant (since it's in the newer hotel) was a better overall atmosphere / environment. Bright and well light, fresh decor, felt very spacious. Enchanted Garden was a bit dark and stuck in a time warp. I think we, overall, preferred Dragon Wind, but Enchanted Wind wasn't bad. Kind of depends on what your priorities are.

This sounds weird but I'm actually hoping to go to Dragon Wind and avoid characters (I would love it but my husband doesn't like character meals!) Does anyone know if there are always characters in Dragon Wind? I'm not finding the website very clear. Thanks!

This sounds weird but I'm actually hoping to go to Dragon Wind and avoid characters (I would love it but my husband doesn't like character meals!) Does anyone know if there are always characters in Dragon Wind? I'm not finding the website very clear. Thanks!

Characters are usually at Dragon Wind for the breakfast/lunch buffet. You could go for dinner which usually does not have characters although you'll have Chinese cuisine rather than a buffet.

The character stands at the back of the dining room, away from the buffet area. They did not wander around the dining area. So one can ignore them easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!