Dining Plan:Points vs Cash

Sammie

DIS Veteran
Found out something I did know, so thought I would share. This might be something most of you know but I didn't so sharing in case anyone else did not realize it either.

If you add a cash stay onto your points stay and book with MS and get the member room discount, you can not get the DDP on the cash stay, only on the points stay.

I know someone asked recently if they link these type of reservations can you they get their DDP when they check in for the cash stay.

Well I was told DVC does not offer the DDP on anything but points stays. That you could book through DRC and get a room at a DVC resort but if you are booking with MS, only point stays can book the DDP.

Which was actually fine with me, as I only wanted the DDP on the points stay anyway.

We stayed at SSR in August. We used points for our stay during the week and cash for the weekend with the member discount. We were on the dining plan for the whole stay- no problem. We're doing the same thing again in April. I've already booked all my dining reservations.

You know that is what I thought until today. I guess I will call back and make sure. She told me several times, I could not book the DDP for anything but points. I will update when I call again.

We stayed at SSR in August. We used points for our stay during the week and cash for the weekend with the member discount. We were on the dining plan for the whole stay- no problem. We're doing the same thing again in April. I've already booked all my dining reservations.

Now I'm confused?:confused3

I don't and will not use the plan but it would be nice to know this answer in case someone asks.

No offense disneymagic316 but until proven wrong I'd have to go with Sammie's information.

Is it possible the first time was a mistake and you are going to be let down this trip when it only applies to your point days?

Well the MS agent I had could be wrong, but she seemed pretty knowledgeable. I am not saying, yet, I will call again tomorrow. It really does not matter to me. Our last trip we only booked a points stay and then moved to the Yacht Club, so this situation did not apply.

This time I am doing the same thing Disneymagic316 did I booked 5 nights with points and the weekend on cash with member discount. I asked her specifically could I get the DDP on the points stay and the cash stay and she said No, points only.

Which as I said was no big deal as we will be full by then anyway and probably have leftovers. :rotfl:

I will say I really like getting that 25% discount, a 2 bedroom was less than any 2 rooms at a deluxe which is what we usually do and last year AP discounts were not that great.

I can add a little to this subject. This past trip, which by the way had many moves in it, was quite difficult for them to handle the dining plan. One front desk CM actually told me that it has became a big headache for them because if anything is wrong with it MS actually has to handle the changes so it can take a while to handle.

First, we booked a studio for the 19th - 23rd & a 2 bed for the 24th & 25th at VWL and asked for them to be linked. I also booked a studio at SSR for the 26th - 28th on points & 29th on cash. I booked the DP for all of this, the night on cash was actually just automatic since we were not changing rooms.

Well after finally finding airfare we had to cancel the night of the 29th. No big deal.

After all the plans were made oldest DS decides to join us for a couple of days for the holiday. When I checked back in to change to the 2 bed I asked if we could add DS, no big deal if we couldn't, I would just pay cash. If I had known what it would take I would have never asked. The CM had to go to the back, which is when I discovered from another CM that she was actually having to have MS do the change in the computer before she could print out room keys. IT took almost 45 minutes to check in! Really if she would have just told me what a headache it was I would not have done it, we didn't need the other room key anyway.

Next when I went to check in at SSR it was going very smoothly until she told me the charge for the DP, it was way to much. We finally figured out the computer was still charging me for the night that had been booked on cash that was cancelled. Once again MS had to fix the problem, they could not do it themselves at the resort.

No big deal to me but it is quite a headache for the CM's at the front desk if there is anything wrong.

Just wanted to add my experience last month in case it can help anyone.
Lori

It seems that there system is very complex and unable to do all they need to.
Perhaps DP shpuld be managed by one entity-not by MS at all.

On a side note, in the past I have called MS for something and they then were able to get info and book for me a room at a non DVC resort having nothing to do with points or member discounts. If MS is able to do that, then why coudn't the front desk have access to MS system?

Well the MS agent I had could be wrong, but she seemed pretty knowledgeable. I am not saying, yet, I will call again tomorrow. It really does not matter to me. Our last trip we only booked a points stay and then moved to the Yacht Club, so this situation did not apply.

This time I am doing the same thing Disneymagic316 did I booked 5 nights with points and the weekend on cash with member discount. I asked her specifically could I get the DDP on the points stay and the cash stay and she said No, points only.

Which as I said was no big deal as we will be full by then anyway and probably have leftovers. :rotfl:

I will say I really like getting that 25% discount, a 2 bedroom was less than any 2 rooms at a deluxe which is what we usually do and last year AP discounts were not that great.

If I understand correctly, you have until midnight on your checkout day to use the remainder of your dining plan. So, if you are like most of us, you'll probably have a table service or two and possibly a counter service or two left on your card that you can still use on the first cash day of your ressie. Do I make sense?

Keep us posted on your follow up call to MS.

Blakely

If I understand correctly, you have until midnight on your checkout day to use the remainder of your dining plan. So, if you are like most of us, you'll probably have a table service or two and possibly a counter service or two left on your card that you can still use on the first cash day of your ressie. Do I make sense?

Keep us posted on your follow up call to MS.

Blakely

That is correct, that is why I truly was not bothered by not getting the DDP for the cash stay. On the first day of the cash stay we will probably have left over credits to use until midnight and the third day we check out and leave.

But I thought I had read others saying they got it for the entire say, points and cash and since the reservation was linked they just got the plan for the entire number of days which in my case is 7.

I plan to investigate more, seems a case of mistaken MS agent. Or maybe if I don't want it for the cash stay, I can leave it alone. :confused3

I just don't want any confusion and delay at check in.

Sammie,
To add to the confusion, I was told by MS that as long as MS makes your ressie, cash or points, you can add the DDP.:goodvibes

I just don't want any confusion and delay at check in.

That is why I posted for you. It was two very lengthy delays for me. It didn't bother me at all but I felt bad that the CM had to deal with it. Besides a lot of people would be very irritated by it. Hopefully you can avoid the delay.

Lori

Ok, I called back and got someone that knew what she was doing.

You can do both (all or partial DDP) if the reservations are not linked. If they don't link the reservations you likely will have to move on the day your go from points to cash.

If you link the two (points and cash) it becomes one continuous reservation in the same room and you must get the DDP for the entire stay.

So I guess now I have to decide do I want to move, or have DDP for all 7 nights?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter