• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Review, "Ohana 5:40p, 9/30.

Cannot_Wait_4Disney

The Colombo of Cippolini.
We were at the MK all day. A word of warning. It can take you a fairly long time to get from where you are in Mk, over to the Poly. But the good news is the restaurant is right in that first building you get to on the same floor as the monorail stop. Anyway, we had splash fastpasses at 4:35. So we got in, got on that. Then before We left, we got fastpasses for Big Thunder for after we came back. Then lo and behold a train comes. Hey let's ride that on around rather than hoof it. Then we get out the gate and it's starting to run a bit late. There's the monorail. RUN RUN RUN!!! OOOps. It's the express, we want the hotel loop. And in it pulls. RUN RUN RUN BACK THE OTHER WAY!!!! We barely catch it. We ride it around and poof, it's exactly 5:40 when we get to the desk. Phew!!! The building is fairly loud when it's full and it was loud. But much of that noise does not make it into "Ohana from what we experienced. It wasn't as Majestic as some of the other deluxe resort lobbies, but it was certainly grand in its own way. It was pleasant to be in there even with the noise. Had we more time, I could have certainly kicked back awhile in there.

Again service at the desk was fast and efficient. We got our pager right away and waited only about as long as it took to go wash our hands.

The restaurant is about 2/3 situated on one side of the cooking area and about 1/3 on the other. The bigger section is the place to be because it's just more open and the activities can be seen better. The cooking area faces that way. We had a stroke of luck in seating. The place has a ton of windows overlooking the Magic Kingdom and the lake. We got a window table with as good a veiw of the castle as you can get. The sun was going down. I got some great pictures because the window heightened the effect of the pinks in the clouds of the beginning to set sun. . We ended up lucking out with seatings all week. We got prime spots everywhere there were any. It was amazing. 'Ohana is open to the main hall but the fire pit and the bar seem to dampen much of the noise. It also is sort of in the corner almost like it's down it's own hall. We didn't hear the outside noise as much as we thought we would and cetainly not as much as you would at Kona. But there was noise from the restaurant. It was not as noisy as Chef Mickey's though. and all in all not as noisy as Narcoosee's and Ca Grill or Spoodles can be at times either.

Dinner is served family style here so on with the food.
We got our appetizers and salad first. The Honey Coriander chicken wings were really nicely done. The sauce was a think sauce and tasted great. Get out that Viking hat. Because it's messy. But they give you warm towels to wipe your hands with so that's perfectly fine. The shrimp were very messy, The sauce was thin, but they were still really good. These were the next to the biggest shrimp we saw all week. Again if you don't like messy or you just don't like to peel em, you won't like these. The fried Wonton noodle chips were good and the sauces nice. My favorite was the peanut sauce. But these were nothing too special. The Salad was field and spring greens (definitely a plus over plain iceberg) and the dressing was mildly sweet, but tangy. Overall a good presentation. Next came the potatoes and the green beans. These were really good. The potatos had the skins on. It really didn't seem all that out of place to me. Our stir fried Veggies were green beans. They were good. They were a bit undercooked which is the way I like em but the rest of the table doesn't. So those didn't get eaten much.

The dinner entrees come out on skewers and they take the meat off them right at the table onto your plate. We thought the skewers were brought out just a bit too quickly. And not only that, they seemed to want to pile it on rather than give you a bit and have to come back. So if you'd like them to wait a bit, my suggestion is you let someone know. We were only about 2/3 through the other stuff when they came. The Quality of the main course didn't quite measure up to the appetizers imo. It was still good though. The meat I was most worried about was the Turkey. . But they did a fine job on it. Not too dry, but cooked. A fabulous job and it did not have an overly woody flavor to it like it could have. The meat I was sort of dissappointed in was the beef. It seemed to be either a lesser grade or a lesser cut than I would of liked and it was tough. But don't get me wrong, it was still good. The Pork was a bit too dry for my liking. I'm not a big fan of dry pork. The Sausage was done well, but when you have all that other stuff to eat, who wants sausage? We ordered another bowl of shrimp (this was our 4th at this point.) As quickly as dinner came, I thought we might be rushed on Desert. Thankfully, we weren't. Desert here was bread pudding. Again if you haven't read my CM review, I'm a bread pudding Jukie. Serve a good bread pudding, you get kudos, Serve a bad one (BOMA!!!) and you get dinged in another restaurant's review. This was perfect. It was the best bread pudding we had all trip. And the banana sauce was outstanding. It came on the side so you could pour on as much or as little as you wanted. My son didn't want it so they got some ice cream for him. HA!!! MORE FOR ME!!!! And I made up for those shrimp nabbers right he

There is entertainment at 'Ohana. There's a woman who sings. They do the limbo, coconut races and the hula. The female MCing it was great.
This isn't as high keyed as Chef Mickey's, but it is fun for the kids as well. It's a different kind of fun.

Service was again great with the caveat of just a bit too quick on the skewers. Drinks were replenished quickly and we could rotate out. Note it was very hot and dry the whole time rather than muggy and hydration really became an issue from day 1. We blew through two cases of water in a half week and ended up having to use snacks for 3 liters over at CSR. We had to limit the cokes and such. So thank Goodness these places had some Lemonade and other drinks without caffeine. But I still like a coke once in awhile. So I'd load up on lemonade, then have a coke. It was no problem. I also had to skip the Lapu Lapu just on hydration issues this day as we had plans to go back to MK for Spectro and Wishes. We certainly were not made to feel as if we were second class citizens on the dining plan here in any way.

Overall we had a great time and enjoyed the food. We'd definitely do this one again and for the immediate future, have this on our list to try and get to on our next trip.

Value for the money and/or credit.
This one doesn't get as high on the price as some others, but the food is good and I think the value overall here given you get all you care to eat is great. Nothing ticks me off more than paying $30 or more for an entree and leaving hungry. Not the case here. They'll bring you more of anything you want. I think it's definitely worth a credit and if I were paying cash, I'd come here again too. Definitely value for the price imo.

So far, we're 2 for 2 on this trip. We've two places we not only will go back to, but make a special effort to include them on our itinerary.

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the review! We have a 5:45 ADR when we go in January. Glad to hear you thought the food was good. My DDs are shrimp-o-holics - lets see if we can beat your 4 bowls! Cheers!

Your stir-fried veggies were green beans?!?! I hope this means the beans are back. I LOVED the beans on the old menu. :)

Our family LOVES :love: this meal--we start and end each trip with it. Don't know if it was the new menu or just a new way of thinking, but last summer we noticed the wait staff will now give you as much of the meat as you want the first time around; previous years it was just 1-2 of each and then it seemed we were forever waiting for the skewers to come around again. Now, we get what we want first time and that about does it (except for DS and DH) for meat helpings. We think the "new" menu is the best :thumbsup2

We ate at Ohana's and found the service unbelievably rushed. We were actually given the meat before the appetizers and when I explained that we hadn't received the chicken wings and shrimps I was told that was the way it was served. We tried to slow them down twice but it made no difference. The dessert was served less than two minutes after we asked them to wait. Whilst the actual food was very well cooked, we wouldn't eat there again because we felt so rushed.

We had a man who entertained. We did find a way to slow them WAY down. They were kind enough to seat us with one of our party missing. DS was running late over at MGM. (he got stuck on RNR) so the served us our cold appetizers and held the hot until he got there. Then we had the opposite problem. We had to keep asking for the next course to be served.
But the food was wonderful. We had a great view of Wishes while we ate.

We had that exact same reservation day and time too!! I wonder if we were in any of your pics! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter