Direct tour guide made commentary on resale

LaneOT

Some would say I'm Disney-obsessed!!!!!!
Has anyone had the pleasure of going to the DVC tour as of late? A friend of mine went last week and told me that the DVC guide told her that buying resale had less perks (obviously) and the if she purchased resale she would less use years than buying direct. Also, he said that there is talk of restricting resale buyers to their home resort??.
Never heard that one before. Part of me wants to ask my own DVC guide about it.

1. True, more perks for direct.

2. Half true, sure CCV has more years left than BCV, but’s that’s not directly a result of buying direct. It’d have the same number of years on contract if I bought resale. While direct typically equals new (so longer term), it’s not exactly true that that’s a function of direct.

3. Blatant lie. If resale owners were restricted to home resort, it’d torque the system for everybody. Resale owners that can’t trade out = direct owners that can’t trade in.

Imagine the 7 month window being shrunk even more because resale owners can’t trade out, taking by necessity all their points out of the the 7 month window. That 7 month window is essentially a trade. Trade only works when both parties can do so.

Besides. Even if implemented, it would be grandfathered so no worries. If not, the whole system would crash immediately.

I’d like to see a DVC guide try to explain how dysfunctional the 7 month window was after implementing such garbage. If you think it’s bad now....

No. Restricting resale owners to their home resorts would also end up restricting direct buyers to their home resorts.

Take the current 7 month window and reduce it by 40%. It’s already tight because people have learned to book during the 11 month window. Implement that as a policy, and the 7 month window - for everybody - would be so tenuous that nobody would trust using it and EVERYBODY would book before the window. It would self-reinforce the 7 month window to extinction.

Last edited:
Also, unless they are planning a Poly 2.0 or BLT 2.0 there will be no new resorts to buy direct from DVD, and overtime resale owners would own a majority of the points. This would shut new direct buyers out of the monorail resorts for most of the year. I wish we knew what the breakdown of resale/direct owners own BSW & BCV, cause I'm sure the ratio is even worse, and this would shut out new direct buyers to the Epcot Resorts.

Also, unless they are planning a Poly 2.0 or BLT 2.0 there will be no new resorts to buy direct from DVD, and overtime resale owners would own a majority of the points. This would shut new direct buyers out of the monorail resorts for most of the year. I wish we knew what the breakdown of resale/direct owners own BSW & BCV, cause I'm sure the ratio is even worse, and this would shut out new direct buyers to the Epcot Resorts.
The ratio is worse but it’s also why people buy at those resorts: for home resort advantage. Let’s face it, people aren’t spending $140/point at BCV to stay at SSR at 7 months out: they’re buying for BCV:

This is already a strain on the 7 month booking window. So is Fall Frenzy, where most owners secure their reservations at 11 months.

The 7 month window is under a lot of pressure right now. DVC needs to figure out how to fix it not break it more.

The ratio is worse but it’s also why people buy at those resorts: for home resort advantage. Let’s face it, people aren’t spending $140/point at BCV to stay at SSR at 7 months out: they’re buying for BCV:

This is already a strain on the 7 month booking window. So is Fall Frenzy, where most owners secure their reservations at 11 months.

The 7 month window is under a lot of pressure right now. DVC needs to figure out how to fix it not break it more.

Why do they need to fix it, the booking windows are working as planned.

:earsboy: Bill

Has anyone had the pleasure of going to the DVC tour as of late? A friend of mine went last week and told me that the DVC guide told her that buying resale had less perks (obviously) and the if she purchased resale she would less use years than buying direct. Also, he said that there is talk of restricting resale buyers to their home resort??

"Guide" = a Disney word for timeshare salesperson.

Do you know how to tell if a timeshare salesperson is lying?

(A: their lips are moving.)

I own 2 timeshares and have never bothered with wasting time at any presentation - mostly for that reason. Lots of lies and misrepresentations. As others have said, even if some of that could happen, it would hurt direct buyers also. Crazy stuff.

Even if your friend is determined to buy direct, encourage them to buy from a different "guide."

I’m surprised DVC doesn’t do this:

Implement an separate trade system at 9 months.

11 month home resort
9 month DVC sponsored trades
7 month club trading (aka the window).

At 9 months you can go to a system similar to StubHub that major sports teams use to allow their season ticket holders to resale unused games. DVC offers, for a 10% premium, other resorts as more or less confirmed trades. (Poly week that costs 160 points by charts traded by using 176 SSR points). Now 176 SSR points are available for trade.

All those 10% upcharges stay in the system - available to other owners in trade - until the 7 month window where DVC then owns them and takes them out of the system and uses them for their own purposes.

This in turn would drastically reduce the rental market because it would give owners other choices for using their points.

And. Restricted not to direct owners, but direct points.

In THAT way, DVC could give direct owners a benefit that would make DVC a killing (it would accumulate points for its own purposes) and undermine the resale market and not worry too much about the impact on the 7 month window.

Want to really trade resorts? Forget the 7 month window, buy direct and use the 9 month window!

By the end of the 9 month window, most of the resorts left would tend to be SSR, OKW, AKV, etc. the monorail resorts and EPCOT resorts would be grabbed up. This would leave those resorts primarily in DVC hand at 7 months. But if DVC is taking thousands of AKV, OKW, and SSR points out of the system at 7 months (points legitimately offfered them in trade), that should stabilize whats left of the 7 month window.

Last edited:
I’m surprised DVC doesn’t do this:

Implement an separate trade system at 9 months.

11 month home resort
9 month DVC sponsored trades
7 month club trading (aka the window).

At 9 months you can go to a system similar to StubHub that major sports teams use to allow their season ticket holders to resale unused games. DVC offers, for a 10% premium, other resorts as more or less confirmed trades. (Poly week that costs 160 points by charts traded by using 176 SSR points). Now 176 SSR points are available for trade.

All those 10% upcharges stay in the system - available to other owners in trade - until the 7 month window where DVC then owns them and takes them out of the system and uses them for their own purposes.

This in turn would drastically reduce the rental market because it would give owners other choices for using their points.

And. Restricted not to direct owners, but direct points.

In THAT way, DVC could give direct owners a benefit that would make DVC a killing (it would accumulate points for its own purposes) and undermine the resale market and not worry too much about the impact on the 7 month window.

Want to really trade resorts? Forget the 7 month window, buy direct and use the 9 month window!

That would be good for direct buyers, but would they need to rewrite all of the Older Resort Declarations to make it happen? Or need a membership vote to implement it?

That would be good for direct buyers, but would they need to rewrite all of the Older Resort Declarations to make it happen? Or need a membership vote to implement it?
I don’t think so because you are only guaranteed a one month booking advantage.

After that, DVC would essentially just be a broker, taking points as fees.

So far as needing votes from members, you’ve already given your vote to a board comprised of . . . Disney employees.

Our "Guide" (Did not realize he was called that until these boards. Lol.) did tell us that perks were only for direct buyers. But he didn't say anything specifically about resale. It did not mean much to me at the time because resale was not on our radar. My how a couple of weeks changes things. But one reason resale wasn't on our radar is because I thought if you bought resale you could only book at your home. I do not know where I got that idea. We did attend a dvc presentation a few years ago on dcl, so maybe I picked it up there? One other thing about our dvc meeting 2 weeks ago is that when I asked if he could sell us any other resorts, he said, yes, any of them, but they are way more expensive than Copper Creek. He said it in a way that shut down the conversation, and immediately started talking about something else. He did not even mention Aulani, just Copper Creek, so I guess Aulani is done now?

there is talk of restricting resale buyers to their home resort??.

There is talk. The guide opened his mouth and said it. But it is not easily done legally, and it is not practical to do, as has been outlined by other users. It is pure scare that if thought through critically - let alone via understanding of deed and condo association operations - is clearly poo.

Last edited:
One other thing about our dvc meeting 2 weeks ago is that when I asked if he could sell us any other resorts, he said, yes, any of them, but they are way more expensive than Copper Creek. He said it in a way that shut down the conversation, and immediately started talking about something else. He did not even mention Aulani, just Copper Creek, so I guess Aulani is done now?

It would be amazing if Aulani was finally sold out.

More likely that his incentives were structured so that he made more money on a sale of Copper Creek...

I was told the same thing a while back about restricting resale buyers to their home resort. It’s just desperate sales talk.

Having just bought a direct contract with Aulani at the end of August, it's not sold out. They were running some atypical discounts for Disney direct that ended in August. Probably what they meant.

I was told the same thing a while back about restricting resale buyers to their home resort. It’s just desperate sales talk.

Is the information that we are all hearing about it started with "I've heard a rumor that.." or "I was told it was possible that they may start..."? If this is the case, yes, its shady, but technically isn't a lie, just a sales tactic.
My guide gave me the rumor line and I threw it back in his face, saying "Great! That means I'll be able to rent out my resort to DVC owners now!" He quickly changed the subject when I said that.

I'm not sure why handcuffing resales does any benefit to DVC sales reps when all it does is tell a potential buyer that if you ever want to get out of your purchase, it's going to be a lot harder. One of the draws for me about DVC is the ease of selling if life happens and you need to get out. Not many timeshares are easy to get out of.

I'm not sure why handcuffing resales does any benefit to DVC sales reps when all it does is tell a potential buyer that if you ever want to get out of your purchase, it's going to be a lot harder. One of the draws for me about DVC is the ease of selling if life happens and you need to get out. Not many timeshares are easy to get out of.
More importantly, Disney made its name by being different than other timeshares. And they made a real mark. The points system wasn’t invented by DVC but they made it the industry standard.

Not being nickeled and dimed to death is a real perk, for both direct and resale.

DVC, when it was implemented, was a leader in how to do timeshares right.

Now? “All the other timeshares do it, too.”

It’s unnecessary.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, DVC ignores more foot traffic than most timeshares ever see. There were lots of options available to them besides “let’s dis resale”.

Unlike other timeshares where buying retail is the only revenue engine in play, resale DVC owners are committing to spending tens of thousands of dollars, over decades, with Disney. That shouldn’t be penalized.

I think it’s wrong, from a business standpoint, to treat your customers that way. And, if DVC could look over the top of their silo, resale buyers are still some of DISNEY’s most committted customers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter