Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
Welcome to Part 4 of our longrunning thread for Survivors (all cancers welcome) and those who love them!

We also welcome anyone waiting for tests and such if you need some virtual "hand holding"!

Here's how we started:

laurabelle said:
~~~***GAGWTA sistas***~~~
Est. May 7, 2005

Pea-N-Me (Linda) and I were talking about getting some of us together somehow...anyway, I found this cool clipart when I joined the Dis and have shared it with a few other Dis survivors. I wanted to post the clip art for those of you who are bc survivors, and want to identify yourself, to add to your signature line...

Go to User CP, click on Edit Signature, then copy and paste the following, leaving out the spaces I added at the beginning and end of the address:
url]

If you're still having trouble, the folks on the Technical Board are very helpful!

What the heck is GAGWTA???
It's our little buzz phrase to avoid hurting feelings when we respond to only a few posts specifically when we drop in...
Originally Posted by NHAnn

~GAGWTA~ (Greetings and good wishes to all!)

Part I: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=810357

Part II: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1710007&referrerid=70088

Part III http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2224699&referrerid=70088

Can't believe that we have started another thread!

I went for a short walk on Saturday afternoon to see how I would do. I went about 3/4 of a mile and wasn't winded, but I was feeling bone pain in my legs when I got home. So, I decided to try the pool today since the weather was absolutely gorgeous here today. I managed 35 laps (at a slow pace) and felt good after I was finished. I'm a bit tired now, but I have decided the pool is the only place for me to attempt to exercise for the time being. I'm thankful I was able to do that as I am determined to make the most out of the rest of this year before I'm back on the treatment rollercoaster.

Trouble posting. Estate sale is over. Now to try to turn my house right-side-up before Thanksgiving & do it all with my new pug pup. GAGWTA

GAGWTA! Just wanted to let you know that I have found the new thread. I have been trying to read but busy with a few things.

Linda- is BART a replacement or a supplement to BRAC? Also, is there a link to your Relay for Life if we want to support??? When is it and where???

R and I are good and we did have the conversation a bit more about me coming out there. That it would be silly for me to have my own place he said. Also am doing another quick trip this weekend (sorry Laurie... wont get to see you this time). I asked if it was okay to go by the store to buy a couple things that I could leave there (shampoo etc) and he said yes. My hair gets straightened (Keratin relaxed) tomorrow evening. Mom is doing well. I will be missing her Bday Saturday. I have my niece coming over and maybe my sister K (the one I was driving. She still hasn't been by to help my mom with anything). My other sister M (the reliable one) is on call in Jacksonville for cath lab.

The kittens aren't coming. I went ahead and took my note back requesting the person who took them to bring them back. I debated about it and maybe it's for the better with the potential move and of course mom at risk for tripping over them.

I was reading about DisneySarah80's questions... and I was wondering about age being on birth control. I stopped mine in my mid 30s because of risk of BC/strokes (both in my family) and then later is when my mom had her BC which I think tied into her hormone therapy but dont know for sure.

Thinking about you all even though I haven't been on.

New Thread Number Four!!!! Bring it on!!!

Hi Everyone,

Sha-Sorry about the kittens. Enjoy your trip! Glad things are going well with Charlie!

Lisa-Glad you were able to swim in the pool. Go ahead with your bad self!!!

Merry- I want to see pictures of your pup too! I am happy the the sale is over for you. I hope all went well.

LMP- What did your endo say about your BP? How's your DS dental healing going?

Patsmom- Hope you are feeling well.

PNM Love your advice.

So I am exhausted. I know because I put salt in my coffee and poured cream on my bagel this morning. I think I should have gone home. I wish I could leave but my boss is "rearranging" duties in the office and I don't want to get all the crappy ones. If I leave that is exactly what I will get is what everyone does not want. I can't wait to go home tonite. I am going to get caught up on Revenge and Sing off if I can stay awake.

Good afternoon sistas

Yeah for a new thread!

Lisa - That is so awesome you are swimming. I hope we get to go in Stormalong Bay when we are there. Of course the weather is so iffy then.

Merry - we need pup pictures

Linda - yes I restarted the lisinopril

Candy get some sleep sista!

Sha - I hope you have a wonderful trip. I know what you mean about family not helping out. When my grandma lived with us, we asked her other grand daughter (my cousin) to watch her for one week end so we could take a break. Of course they said no. You have such a good heart for your mom too.

Mammo done. The L side is the killer to begin with because of the tumor I had out and plus it pulls on my neck dissection. I think I told her to really hurry up on that side. She said, we will send your doctor the results, so I am assuming all is well. PTL.

Of course yest. dh called me from china when I had my phone turned off at the gyn. He called later at night. So glad to talk to him. He is heading back to USA and will talk to him too. This is such a long, long trip. sigh.

GTAGWTA,

posted over in the old thread as I was reading through posts, then got to the end and saw the link to this new thread! :lmao: so I will copy and paste all my replies here in this one post.
Only on page 242 catching up with posts, but wanted to stop and say Laurie your pictures from the race were great!! you guys looked awesome, and my daughter cracked right up at your team name.... I didn't even catch the ta ta's pun....she did!! lol.... You ladies are awesome for doing that and you looked great! Laurie what a beautiful place you had! One day maybe we will make it over there to the east coast. Haven't been there in a loooooong time! travelled through Miami on our way to St. Thomas twice, one time was long enough to get out and see a bit of the city, but not much. WDW scares me!! it's so HUGE!!
I'm well on my way to being healed from the radiation. Just all peeling skin now. Had to have antibiotices because I got infection in the seroma and the scar because of doing the radiation so soon after surgery.
Still waiting on an MRI to try and find out what the spot on my liver is. I have no symptoms of it being cancer, and am in fact feeling pretty darn good and energetic right now, so I'm being very positive.

stopping on page 244 this time to give a big hug to Lisa!!
CherylDan...so happy for you that things are looking good! I know what you mean by being nervous when they say it's looking good! I'm keeping my porta cath in for a while, just in case. At least until after I get confirmation about my liver spot!
Hi Candy!! thanks for all the encouragement! Love reading about your kids, especially dear young daughter growing up. Makes me very nostalgic for those days with my dear daughters.
Speaking of daughters.... our daughter in treatment is doing so so good!! It's a very intense place, she has private councilling and group therapy sessions every day in addition to all the addiction education. Hubby and I went yesterday for a family day. Hubby still has severe PTSD so going anywhere and meeting new people is not his strong point, but he wanted to show his support for her so we went. Learned so very much, changed a lot about the way I thought about addiction. We also had a group therapy session with 8 of the women and there families there. It was a chance for the families to tell their addicted member how they have been affected and what our hopes for the future are. We shared our story of the past year, and at the end everyone in the room was crying, but it was such a healing time. Today she called us to tell us that in their session today when they discussed everything that was said, several of the other women said they were profoundly affected by our story, and very inspired by our courage. I pray for each of them, and if our being there in any way helps any of them to go on to have a better life then it was more than worth the anxiety of going.
Merry, I'm so sorry for your loss

LMP so sorry your treatment was so hard on you I know how that feels
Patsmom and ollala, hang in there!

Good to see you posting, Smilie! Even better to hear you are healing from the radiation.

You sound so upbeat, thanks for sprinkling some here.

Thanks ftp Linda for getting us started on the new thread. I was getting confused trying to read in both places. I did not remember that 250 pages was the magic cut off.

Love the info from Linda. I swear I am always learning more stuff here.

DS23 got a job that just started this past Monday, so we are happy for him, working for our next door neighbor who has a large commercial electrical business. They just got a another very large job with the premier hospital in town, so they are beefing up their work force. DS has some debts and is working on that. He has done odd jobs but this is the best thing as he has worked for the company during all summer breaks and Christmas breaks as well during college to save his funds for the school year. He knows all the people very well, feels comfortable and appreciated. He still has about a year left of college but he may change majors. So working now is a good thing.

My brother left yesterday and I am missing him a lot. He bought a completely set up a new Apple computer, wireless set up, and Samsung tv for her. He thinks it may help her with her cognitive challenges right now. Her old computer was so slow he could not even believe it.

So now she is Miss Apple with her iPhone, iPad, and Mac. It is the same computer as we have so I will be able to help her some as well.

She is very pleased and seems less nervous about her health. Her gastro problems have subsided with antibiotics, no more seeds or nuts, and lots of Metamucil. Her back is still hurting, but the second orthopedic convinced her it is normal with her curvature, and she has agreed to be compliant and go to physical therapy for a few weeks. The doc wants her to get back to where she was with swimming.

Swimming is the best he said, so keep it up, Lisa!

LMP, how is the swelling?

Merry, good to see you and glad the estate sale is behind you. What kind of puppy did you get?

Is Thanksgiving really next week? It appears I am the cook like I was for Christmas so I need to get cracking. DD21 will help me but she won't get here until Wednesday afternoon. I need to plan, shop and get the ball rolling.

It was very successful at Christmas but I think I lost all the recipes that I research ad improved on.

Ah well, got to get creative again. I do need to order the seafood for the oyster dressing, oyster patties and shrimp casserole. YIKES!!!

SMILIE!!!!! :yay::yay::yay: It's good to hear from you and that you are doing well. I agree with Snappy! You sound Great!! So good to hear that your daughter is doing well. I was inspired by your story too! I am glad your DHubby made it to family day.

Snappy- Great news about DS getting a job! Glad your Mom is feeling better and it was awesome of your brother to get her a new computer. Pass on a few of those recipes! The Casserole especially.

PNM- I love your kissing smiley faces. Your poor baby! Hope he feels better!

LMP- Glad you got to talk to your Boo! Especially since you missed him earlier.

My sister was in a head on collision with a driver that fell asleep at the wheel. She had broken nose and gash on head. They are keeping her for observation. She had surgery on nose this morning. We went to look at the car and My other sister and I burst into tears. It could have been much worse! The front of the car was demolished. I didn't get home until late.

Ollalamom and PatsMom- How are you guys? Hope you are feeling better.

GAGWTA

Oh Candy! your poor sister that is very scary!! I hope she will be ok. I'm not big on councilling for myself. I bug everyone else in the family to go, but I keep saying I have so many dr appts maybe if I get a break I will go then....just an excuse really. It helped so much that day. I have to work on going to see someone regularly I think.
Snappy... mmmmmmm good thing we are about 5000 miles apart or you would have an extra person at your table :thumbsup2 I can only imagine how good your dinner is going to be! maybe you can post some pictures and recipes for us! also glad your mom is doing better! I miss my mom so much, and my dad...this past veterans day was especially hard for some reason. I was looking at pictures of him in his uniform way back in 1942 and noticing just how much our son looked like him at the same age :sad1:
peanme.... your poor son! pneumonia is scary. Our daughter had double pneumonia and plueresy when she was in her last year of high school. We were very afraid for her and she nearly didn't graduate. It took months for her to recover completely. nothing like moms love and good cooking to heal them up though.
LMP.... ouch! I know what that is like, the mammo on the already tortured enough tata. I have mine coming up again in March and I'm already dreading it! the Cancer agency I go to is at least much better at doing them than my local hospital so it's worth the trip to the city for me to get it done there. safe travels to you hubby!
hope everyone finds at least on reason to smile today :hippie:

smiley - So good to hear from you! You sound as though you are doing better. I'm also happy about your daughter who is in treatment - it sounds as though she is doing well. You must be so relieved.

Candy - Thank goodness your sister wasn't hurt worse than she was from the wreck. Sounds scary!

Laurie - Sounds as though things are going better for your DS. I hope the new job works out.

MaryAnn - I hope that you are feeling better.

Pea-n-me - Your DS is only going to be your buddy for today? Sounds more serious than that. I hope he feels better soon.

Still on the road to more energy. I decided not to swim today and instead took an elderly friend to her doctor's appointment and to pick up her prescriptions. I am almost as tired as when I swim! I have decided to keep taking things slowly and just do a little more each day.

smilie - so glad to see you post. Good to hear your dd is doing well in treatment and that you are doing well too. Glad you and dh could do family day. Your dd def. sees your love and support.

Linda - hope your ds starts to feel better soon. Did he get a flu shot? I am trying to get ds21 to get one with his asthma.

Candy - so sorry to hear about your dsis accident. Sorry she had to have the surgery but so thankful things were not worse. Hope she heals quickly.

Laurie - so nice your bro. got your mom those tech savy gifts. Glad your ds has found a good job. I know you posted before about how much he liked working there. Just hopefully everything will be safe and nothing like that horrible accident he had to see in the past.

Lisa - glad you are out and about. Take it slowly. So sweet to care and help your friend.

Well I finally talked to dh in San Francisco. He said the brand new suitcase he brought which was about $240! has cracked already. He will take it back when he gets home. Just great. We were going to use that for our FL trip. Hope they have more. He got it at the samsonite outlet and he only likes a certain suitcase etc. Tomm. bp check. We shall see. Will finish up the last trip stuff tomm, ordering the wheelchair and the towncar service. I have been reviewing ds20 nursing school essay. Still needs work for sure.

GAGWTA,

Hi ladies. . It has been a whirlwind couple of weeks for me, but I finally got the chance to catch up on reading all the posts.

Smiley- I was so happy to hear that your daughter is doing well in treatment. It sounds like your entire family is going to find some healing through her being in treatment. Glad to hear that you are recovering from the radiation treatments. I count myself very lucky that I will not need radiation or chemo.

LMP- I hope that you will find improvement in your BP at your check up

Candy - "salt in the coffee" LOL . . Boy I have had those kind of days before. It really sucks to be sleep deprived like that. I am sorry about your sister and hope that she recovers quickly.

Lisa- It is great that you are able to return to swimming.

Merry - Puppy's are so much fun. I can't wait to see pictures.

Laurie - Great to hear that your DS23 got a job and it sounds like a good situation. I am sure that you are relieved. Glad that your mom is doing better.

Pea - Sorry to hear that your DS has been sick with pneumonia. I hope that healing comes quick.

Linda - I hope that your are doing well. Can't wait to hear about your new oncologist. Tell DH hello. I hope that the Halloween storm didn't cause any damage at your place.

So my life has been full of craziness since my bday trip at the end of October. My mother had her heart attack and finally underwent open heart surgery yesterday (Friday).
The surgeon is happy with the surgery, but because of my mother's weakened state, she is having a slower time recovering from the surgery.
Today she was pretty much out of it. I feel confident that she will recover, but I see a long road of recovery ahead.
As for me, my second surgery "reconstruction fix" seems to be healing very well. On December 5th I will see my plastic surgeon and will be given the ok to start running.
I started tamoxifen 3 days ago and so far no weird side effects have been noted.
Hopefully I will get to a short trip report soon.

I wish you all the best as you prepare for Thanksgiving.

Nancy

Would love to see your trip report, Nancy. When I saw your post from the wee hours, I was worried about you. After reading about your mom's surgery I totally got it.

I am glad the surgery is over. I am sure yesterday was a long and difficult day. Hope she recovers more quickly than you fear.

Hope you are able to resume running. Exercise is one of the best activities in so many ways, for the heart and for the energy level.

Sha, are you in Baton Rouge, girlfriend?

Candy did you rest up? How is your sister doing?

MaryAnn, are you getting ready for your trip? I hope the weather is warm enough for you to get to swim. I can't remember your departure day but I bet it is soon, if you have not already left. Was your blood pressure better Friday? Is your DH home yet?

Smilie, I am glad your daughter is in treatment. I hope you are able to attend future family days if they are offered. I know it meant a lot to your daughter as well as the other patients. I can totally see how your story affected them so profoundly.

I will try and post some pictures of our food during the prep, if I can. I have the bare bones recipes from my mother-in-law (mostly the ingredients but no steps). I was in the same position last year when I did this same deal at Christmas so I resorted to googling. DD21 and I painstakingly documented the steps along with the ingredients (and measurements!!) but I must have brought them to work intending to write them up in a Word document and lost the whole kit and caboodle during my wonderful work computer failure.

So I am at it again this year. I do have the seafood and fresh seasonings ordered/purchased, and a very comprehensive food shopping list. Now if I lose my iPhone I am in big trouble. Speaking of that, maybe I should type all the steps in notes in my iPhone?

We also took some pretty cool pictures while my brother was here. I would like to post one or two of those when I can. He took some using this ap that is all the rage in NYC call hipstamatic. You can recreate the retro look of pictures take n from the 70's. Cool thing is that there are lots of camera and lens options, some for purchase.

Linda, how is your son? How quickly these upper respiratory things can morph into pneumonia. Do you think it originated from the allergy symptoms? I am wondering as we brought DD16 in for the scratch test and naturally she is allergic to a whole range of things, albeit not as drastic as DD23 was when he was tested at age 17.

We are going forward with the allergy shots starting next week. I don't have a clue how I am going to manage adding this to my schedule (twice a week shots for 3 months). Good thing is that it is geographically not far from my office and DD16's school, but the traffic is horrendous in the afternoon after school. I am thinking about trying to go into work at 7:30 each morning. For some odd reason I have more energy right now, thank goodness.

I am getting ready to go out and gather more of the stable ingredients for Thursday. DS23 had a good week at work. DD21 comes in sometime Wednesday as Tulane has classes Monday and Tuesday. DD16 is off next week. I got her an iPhone 4 Friday, she is in her glory. I think it is a little early to start with the whole data plan for her, but most of the girls have had it for awhile, so she is Johnny come lately. We had an interesting episode in the Apple store. She immediately recognized a young local artist/photographer who has a very popular blog that she follows sitting right at the same table as us waiting for his genius appointment. She silently went nuts. Need I mention he was a very good looking young man? Even I took note, lol, but did not know he was as she says "famous." Anyway, with Apple computers that you can log on to all around us, she posts on his blog that she is in the Apple store and recognized him. He sees the post on his blog, and says, come on over and say hi. She was way too shy to do that, funny thing was he was at the genius bar right next to her later when we checked out. She told me she was shaking like a leaf (which I did not have a clue about at the time) and he gave her a strange look, probably trying to figure out if she was the one that posted on his blog. He was probably scrutinizing every one in the store, lol.

Anyway as we walked out, she started going back to where he was sitting at the genius bar twice to say hi, but lost her nerve both times.

I still did not know what was going on but she told me a few minutes after we left.

He looked a good 10 years older than her, So I am glad she was too shy, actually. I am not ready for her to be mixing with older guys yet for sure.

GAGWTA!

Olalla - glad to hear that your mom made it through the surgery. I am sure it is hard on you too seeing her. Wishing her all the best and that her recovery goes well. Glad you can start running soon. I am sure everything is taking a toll on your emotionally too. Hang in there.

Laurie - Know what you mean about the I phone. Caved in and got ds20 one too. Well actually it was his birthday money and that is how he chose to spend it. So I am sure the others wont be far behind, but ds21 likes his blackberry too. Have to wait till March for ds23 as dh always lost all the phones and of course that blew all the upgrades we had, mine included. Sigh. That was an interesting encounter with your dd. But I think it would be fun to meet someone famous for sure. We leave on Nov. 28, so a while yet. Thinking of changing 2 adrs, we shall see. With the new credit card requirements I am on the fence right now. Might see about walking up as a possibliity.

PatsMom - hope your onc. visit went well

Linda - hope your ds is feeling better. I am sure he is getting lots of tlc from you for sure!!

Candy - I hope youy can put your feet up and rest tonight.

Lisa - I will pm you my cell number

I was so tired I took a nap today. I have been so tired lately. Maybe I need a b12 shot again. We will see about tues. I know ds will not be happy as that is when I need to go grocery shopping for the turkey etc.

Talked to dh. He is suppose to go and visit his uncle today. Also I called a cousin who I lost contact with. She is a single mom with a handicapped dd who is 31. She has had such a hard life. I told her I would write or call her as she does not have a computer etc. Wish I lived closer to her. I really didnt know her growing up and only got to know her after my sister died.

GAGWTA

HI All!

Ollalamom-I am so happy to hear your Mom's surgery went well. I hope she has a good recovery even if it is a slow one. Glad to hear your healing well and your treatment went w/o many side effects. Let us know if you do a trip report.

LMP- Glad you got to talk to your hubby. :confused: about his suitcase. What a headache. You are so sweet thinking of your cousin so far away. I have a hard time keeping up with the ones I know.

Snappy- I am rested. Did some shopping at old navy after service and then cooked dinner and was done for the rest of the evening. I even had someone do my DD hair for me. Of course I had to wash it first. It sounds like I did a lot; but it really helped. DD and the famous guy was funny!!! LOL Sounds like you are ahead of the game for cooking.

Lisa- My sister is doing well. The car was really demolished. The front was totally smashed in. I am surprised she wasn't hurt more or worse. How are you feeling these days. I hope you are getting your energy back.

Smilie-How are you Sista?

Merry, Cheryl, PNM How are you all? I know everyone is busy this week.

GAGWTA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter