disability diaper changing area

Twin princess

Earning My Ears
I have a 24 year old daughter in a wheelchair who wears diapers. I have to lay her down on a table/cot to change her diaper. Where can I change her in all of the parks? Is there a nurses/first aid station in each park that will allow me a private changing area for a moment?

Welcome to disABILITIES.
There are Companion Restrooms in each park that do have changing tables, but my best guess is that most of them are only about 4 feet long and are a little too high to change an adult (close to waist height for me and I am 5 foot 7).
There is a very nice First Aid station in each park that will suit your needs. They have individual cubicles that can be closed off with privacy curtains. There is a sturdy cot, a small table and chair in each cubicle. I've never counted the number of cubicles in each one, but there are enought that we've always had our choice of several empty ones. There is also a wheelchair accessible restroom in each First Aid (you could wash hands there, but there's no cot in the restroom). We have used First Aid in all the parks to use the restroom or to rest after a seizure and have found the staff to be very professional and nice. It's also a good place if your DD needs to lie down to rest or stretch. The area is kept quiet and dim, so it's very calming.
First Aid is well marked on the park maps, but here's where to look:
MK: Just off Main Street between Casey's Corner (a hot dog restaurant on Main St. and Crystal Palace.
Epcot: In front of the Odyssey Center (on a walkway that goes between Test Track and World Showcase)
AK: Next to Flame Tree Barbecue on the side toward Africa
Studio: Just to the left as you come into the park, next to Sid Cahuenga's One-of-a-Kind shop

Thank you for posting this question. I have a 6 year old daughter will special needs and this will definitely help.

Besides the cubicles with curtained partitions, there's also a private room with an examination table you can use. It offers more privacy. ---Kathy

Thanks for the information about the private room, Kathy. I've never been in that room. Do you happen to know if the table is height adjustable?

Sue- it's just like an exam table in a Dr.'s office, but I'm not sure how adjustable it is. ---Kathy

Thanks. Some exam tables are adjustable, but some are not.
I guess if it turns out to be too high, there is always the option of the cots.

DS is only 14 but he weighs 105 and we always change his diapers at the baby changing stations. WE do not use a changing table we use the floor ( we always have a blanket with us) We have always had great luck as they let us use the room with the TV and he watches while we change him. I dont know if you need a table but I thought this might help you out. Good luck!

I am so happy someone asked this queation. I will be taking my 24yro son in december 2005 for the first time since his disability(auto accident). He is 5'10", 150lbs, feeding tube for meds, blind and in a solara tilt in space chair. He also wears depends. Our thought was to use condemn cathaters(he HATES these and pulls them off) Since he is severly brain injured he doesn't understand about keeping them on. I could just see us walking around the MK while he's trying to pull them off(LOL). Anyway it's nice to know there is a place to change him if he wears a depends. Thanks, Susan

Welcome to disABILITIES, Poohs Pal.
If you need to store any of your DS's equipment or want a place to do his tube feedings, First Aid will also help out with those things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter