Disappointed in ABD...Period :(

OP, if you reconsider, I would call back and ask to speak with a supervisor. I was once told something about my deposit by a vacationista that was incorrect and I knew. I politely pressed the issue and it was fixed. I think it's unfair that you are being held to a policy that didn't exist when you originally cancelled your trip.

We have done a Tauck Bridges and now have booked a regular Tauck trip for next year. They are definitely easier to work with than ABD. And they truly appreciate their repeat customers. Instead of seriously overcharging for a pre night, they give it to repeat guests as a “gift of time.”

So ABD held my 600.00 down deposit. Fair enough. Well I went to use the down deposit yesterday and was told this could not be combined with ANY trip that had a special offer attached to it. Would not apply it to Costa Rica with early booking discount. THEN the screen shot I am looking at for October 2018 shows the price of San Fran as 1849. Ok, fine I will book that. Nope MY price is 1999 for that trip as I don't qaulify for the sale price.

I had this experience with a deposit that I had carried forward a couple of years ago. I got around it by using that deposit on a trip that wasn't discounted and booking the one that was with a new reservation. It ended up working out ok since there was no limit on how long I could carry over the deposit.

Check out the co-branded G Adventures/National Geographic tour as well. We did that one and OMG, it was seriously on a quality level with ABD. The main differences were the rooms - we didn't stay at the top of the line locations, but we did stay at some pretty nice places. I loved where we stayed near La Fortuna. We could step out onto our balcony, listen to the cows in the field and had a great view of Arenal.

The major difference for me was less luggage + hauling it around yourself. If you do not mind carrying your luggage, I'd recommend at least looking at that tour as well. They do sometimes offer discounted prices, but it's usually on a tour later that year.

We pushed an ABD Backstage Magic deposit twice and were also told we were ineligible for the early booking discount when we settled on a date to definitely take the trip. The ABD justification was that the early booking discount was for new bookings only, and they treated an existing deposit as an old booking. Total hogwash policy in my mind. Our TA fought the good fight with ABD over this to no avail.

We pushed an ABD Backstage Magic deposit twice and were also told we were ineligible for the early booking discount when we settled on a date to definitely take the trip. The ABD justification was that the early booking discount was for new bookings only, and they treated an existing deposit as an old booking. Total hogwash policy in my mind. Our TA fought the good fight with ABD over this to no avail.

That seems so odd to me that the kept deposit can be used as a deposit only and not applied to pay off another trip you may have with ABD. they would still be keeping that money.

Kind of like how when they cancel your trip, they'll grudgingly give you your money (including deposit) back, and pay change fees for your airfare, but they don't actually compensate you for your loss or make a good faith gesture like a $500 discount per person on a future booking. I am just mystified that ABD can cost so much more than comparable products, and provide such poor service on the front end, and have cut most of the things that used to make them special, like the old trip boxes.

That seems so odd to me that the kept deposit can be used as a deposit only and not applied to pay off another trip you may have with ABD. they would still be keeping that money.

Kind of like how when they cancel your trip, they'll grudgingly give you your money (including deposit) back, and pay change fees for your airfare, but they don't actually compensate you for your loss or make a good faith gesture like a $500 discount per person on a future booking. I am just mystified that ABD can cost so much more than comparable products, and provide such poor service on the front end, and have cut most of the things that used to make them special, like the old trip boxes.[/QUOT

.........just remember that famous quote attributed to P.T. Barnum...."there's a sucker born every minute"...

Say what? I don't consider myself a sucker.

Sayhello

Sayhello, You got what you requested so you are happy. Some of us have been "disrespected" and shoved to the side. If you go out to a restaurant and your meal is not right the establishment will try to correct it or give you a discount if they feel the problem is their fault. You would give that restaurant another chance but if the problem still exists on your next visit than if you return after that than you may fall into that P.T. Barnum group.

Sayhello, You got what you requested so you are happy. Some of us have been "disrespected" and shoved to the side. If you go out to a restaurant and your meal is not right the establishment will try to correct it or give you a discount if they feel the problem is their fault. You would give that restaurant another chance but if the problem still exists on your next visit than if you return after that than you may fall into that P.T. Barnum group.
Yes, but if you had issues getting a reservation, but once you got to the restaurant, the service and food were superb, you might be willing to overlook the crappy reservation system in favor of the excellent meal. Doesn't make you a sucker.

Sayhello

But if that reservation system persists and the restaurant makes no attempt to rectify the situation than I would consider myself a sucker for putting myself through the sam problem time after time for what? Something similar that I could find with other companies and avoid the hassle for sometimes less money.

Thanks did you take the trip? I just looked at it, is there a lot of bus travel? I am noticing a lot of different hotel rooms....but good thought I will explore further. Have you taken other trips with them> I don't really LOVE the thought of costa rica trip but thought price was decent with my gift card etc. Any other trips from TAuck in the USA you do recommend or have taken?

I did my first regular Tauck tour in May 2016, New Mexico, Land of Enchantment. It was also my first tour as a solo traveler. The experience compared very favorably with the two previous ABDs I had taken. The hotels are on par with ABD and most meals were included. While there are no discounts prices, Tauck does offer some tours with a $200 reduced rate for solo travelers. There is also the option of booking a small group tour that, I believe, maxes out at 24 guests. I am seriously considering doing another solo tour with them next year. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

I've been reflecting on the last couple of years in booking trips with ABD. I'm feeling a bit shunned and have been trying to put my finger on it. I felt this way last year as well. It seems in the past ABD did a better job of recognizing those that had traveled with them prior and that there was more contact through the year, like communication regarding new trips and cultural FYIs about the countries they travel to. I remember when they first introduced Greece, we got a book on Greek mythology, recipes... It seemed smaller and more intimate. I'm wondering if the change came about when the company was merged with the cruise line. I still book each year because the experience on the trips is amazing. Just a little sad for days gone by...

I think what I'm seeing here is that nobody is particularly happy with the current ways the repeat guests are treated. Some people have more tolerance for it than others and will keep going (like myself) and others don't and are looking elsewhere for similar trips. Either way, it's still a shame that ABD isn't maintaining those relationships. It doesn't sound like it would cost them much. Just a little better communication and a few little perks here and there. I am also one of the folks who no longer get any of the Insiders emails or mailings. They tell me at some point I "opted out" of something from Disney and then got removed from the list. I've asked multiple times to be re-added to no avail. Luckily my travel agent keeps me up-to-date on new offerings.

I've been reflecting on the last couple of years in booking trips with ABD. I'm feeling a bit shunned and have been trying to put my finger on it. I felt this way last year as well. It seems in the past ABD did a better job of recognizing those that had traveled with them prior and that there was more contact through the year, like communication regarding new trips and cultural FYIs about the countries they travel to. I remember when they first introduced Greece, we got a book on Greek mythology, recipes... It seemed smaller and more intimate. I'm wondering if the change came about when the company was merged with the cruise line. I still book each year because the experience on the trips is amazing. Just a little sad for days gone by...
I do believe it started when ABD became a part of the DCL line of business. But considering how much emphasis DCL puts on repeat cruisers and building up Status for perks and privileges, it just seems odd and ridiculous that they so ignore that aspect with ABD.

I think what I'm seeing here is that nobody is particularly happy with the current ways the repeat guests are treated. Some people have more tolerance for it than others and will keep going (like myself) and others don't and are looking elsewhere for similar trips. Either way, it's still a shame that ABD isn't maintaining those relationships. It doesn't sound like it would cost them much. Just a little better communication and a few little perks here and there. I am also one of the folks who no longer get any of the Insiders emails or mailings. They tell me at some point I "opted out" of something from Disney and then got removed from the list. I've asked multiple times to be re-added to no avail. Luckily my travel agent keeps me up-to-date on new offerings.
I agree with your analysis.

Sayhello

But considering how much emphasis DCL puts on repeat cruisers and building up Status for perks and privileges, it just seems odd and ridiculous that they so ignore that aspect with ABD.

Actually, I hear a lot of grumbling from repeat DCL cruisers that the perks are less and less. That platinum status, etc, doesn't get you as much as it used to.

And really, with 9 new Japan trips, 7 already waitlisted after 3 days - only one available for kids, and the available adults only at $11K, they don't really need to cater to repeat customers, do they?

ETA - I was curious...The new Seine river cruise is also sold out in almost all the top two room categories. Only 2 of the 4 sailings have one of the two available top suite categories available, at $9.6-9.8K/person. Those are the only categories sold out, besides the very few singles and the very cheapest, which seems to be waitlisted from as soon as it's posted in every cruise on all rivers. ABD seems to be doing just fine amongst those who may spend the most money.

Last edited:

I have friends that received the Adventures Insider e-mail announcing the early booking window, but I didn't. Some other friends who traveled with me to Peru didn't receive the "Coco" movie tickets, but I did. I had the same experience of not receiving Adventure Insider e-mails. They also told me that I might have "opted out" at some point. They suggested that I go to the "Contact Us" part of the ABD website and request to be re-added to "The Walt Disney family of companies marketing e-mails and promotional mailings." They were sort of specific about the wording I should use. It was odd that they couldn't do that on my verbal request, but suggested that I do it in writing. I'm hopeful that will fix things for future mailings.

Actually, I hear a lot of grumbling from repeat DCL cruisers that the perks are less and less. That platinum status, etc, doesn't get you as much as it used to.

And really, with 9 new Japan trips, 7 already waitlisted after 3 days - only one available for kids, and the available adults only at $11K, they don't really need to cater to repeat customers, do they?

ETA - I was curious...The new Seine river cruise is also sold out in almost all the top two room categories. Only 2 of the 4 sailings have one of the two available top suite categories available, at $9.6-9.8K/person. Those are the only categories sold out, besides the very few singles and the very cheapest, which seems to be waitlisted from as soon as it's posted in every cruise on all rivers. ABD seems to be doing just fine amongst those who may spend the most money.

I have to agree, unfortunately. Both DCL and ABD have not yet seemed to price themselves out so they will continue to charge what they can and, it appears, value repeat customers less. In a way, with dynamic pricing for both that makes sense. I know as a new cruiser with DCL I had no idea about dynamic pricing and booked when it made sense to me (oh, bless my heart!). Learning the ropes, as it were, saved me money and establishing myself as a loyal customer starting costing them a weeee bit in "perks." If you aren't in the know, more than likely you'll spend more so Disney (whether it's the parks, cruises, ABD, etc) makes the most off of the new guys, not the old ones. Understanding that Disney is a business and accepting that they are going to get as much profit from the customer (me) allows me to make decisions more easily. Much as I love DCL, I have a limit on how much I'll spend on a cruise, ditto with ABD (so glad I know there are other tour companies out there). If the price and schedule works for me with ABD, great. If not...there are others who like my money too.

I don't think that anyone who pays ABD or DCL prices is foolish, however (I do it myself!). Only you can determine what value your vacation experience is worth in monetary terms. Worth is super subjective and everyone perceives things differently.

OP, I do hope you can speak with a supervisor and get a more satisfactory resolution.

Last edited:

I'm not slamming or complaining, but the changes recently have in my mind removed the "premium" value of ABD. They still do a good job at the tours, and the guides still great, but the things that made the premium price worth it seem less and less. I do not begrudge those who have plenty of money and can pay for what to us is an increasingly high charge. I am not their target audience. I live in an area that does not pay well, but I am also not willing to either make a 3 hour commute each way each day or live in the locations that pay so well to earn that additional money. I still fly steerage because to afford a family trip, I cannot pay the extra costs of premium first class, for example. I think its great for those who can!

I was willing to scrimp and save for these trips for the family because they were special. Now, no bling, no concierge assistance from the ever changing people answering the phones at ABD (I don't think they deserve the title Vacationista, as they cannot answer basic questions about a trip, and do not provide any additional assistance or even basic answers to when OYO time takes place), the "exclusive" visits are rarer and rarer on their trips (Now I have counted no less than 14 different tour groups that offer "private" visits to the Sistine Chapel in Rome for example), having to beg or wait for hours just to book a trip because it is set up as a cattle call, dynamic pricing which discourages people to join a half full tour, which may result in cancellation of a trip a year after you booked it because it's not full; no more "guaranteed" trips; the fading emphasis in some trips of the "story line" woven throughout that made these immersive and stand out; the ever increasing size of the group travel (like my best friend's waistline - it just keeps growing as he gets older, so too do the number of people on these trips!); the hassle we go through for transfers - some trips have very restricted transfers, others limit it to one per day for the entire group, only from one location, not a closer train station, or even if you are doing a pre or post day, lots of strings attached to the transfers; in Australia we had to shuffle our own luggage and "check-in" for the three in-trip flights (they took care of baggage claim for us) and some people were hit with large (yet advertised) luggage fees. I could go on and on, but I'm finding that other providers that call themselves "premium" still do what we saw from ABD six years ago - the level of guest services we all already expect and receive from Disney in their parks. In my opinion and from my personal observations that attention is much less now at ABD and not worth a premium price.

I still like ABD. I am looking forward to our trip in the fall. I may one day book another trip. Presently, their charges to me are not worth the premium.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!