"Disaster Strikes" or "Anyone had any luck getting a early dinner walk-up at CG?&quot

FigNewton

DIS Veteran
So earlier this year we thought we weren't going to make it to WDW this year because of my wife's class schedule, but things changed. Didn't make reservations when we normally would... just recently made them for Nov 30 - Dec 5, well after the 180 day mark. Called this morning to make ADRs, got almost everything I wanted, within 10 minutes of the desired time.

The only except was California Grill. Which is our one must-eat restaurant. Nothing before 9:20 on every night we could go for the week. I've had decent experiences getting in early at other restaurants in years past as a walk-up when we couldn't get an early enough reservation (or the schedule spontaneously changed), but never tried at one of the signature restaurants. Most restaurants around here of that caliber won't take a walk in period.

So could someone share any experiences at CG? Ideally we like to do an early dinner there the night of our MVMCP. I'm ok with eatting very early dinner. I'm gonna plan on continually calling back in hopes of a cancellation during a time that's good for us, but failing that, is it worth a try to walk-up for a very early dinner there?

Hi, If it is just the two of you and you do not mind sitting at the BAR, I believe they do seat people here on a WALK-UP basis. It is a first come,first served so arriving for an early dinner should work in your favor! Maybe someone can confirm this info(since I have never actually done this) but have read this is how the BAR area in GCG is seated. Joan

You wouldn't have to sit at the bar. The lounge has chairs (big ones) and tables (small ones). But if you want to be sure and get those, you must arrive early. There are not many of them. Some of them are by the windows if you want the view.

When I did this they let me up before 5:30. I am guessing it was about 5:15. They do not start serving food until 5:30 (and they mean 5:30) but they will get you some wine or a drink if you want one. And you can order from the full menu.

I have never had a reservation at CG and I have eaten there 3 or 4 times. I have always eaten either at the bar or the sushi counter, and it has always been just me or two of us. I just wouldn't expect to have anything available close to fireworks. Good luck!

Melissa

Excellent info all around, thanks much. It will indeed be just the two of us, and the earlier we eat the better. Failing any ability to get a cancellation opening up before 6, we'll show up early and try to get a walk-up. We won't care where we sit - as long as we get the full menu we'll be perfectly satisfied.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter