Disastrous experience in Aulani pool

Susan 20+ years DVC owner

Earning My Ears
In January, my granddaughter cut her foot on glass in the Aulani pool (which required an urgent care visit), and the lifeguards were still letting people in to the pool. It took our son-in-law finding a bucket's worth of glass in the pool before they evacuated the area and performed a proper search. Equally as disturbing, we have been trying repeatedly to bring this to Disney Vacation Club's attention, and we are having an unbelievably bad experience. They've given us incorrect email addresses for complaints handling and for claims. I've had to call them four times to follow up, and I get a different story every time (from supervisors). My last resort is trying to reach Terri Schultz, VP. Does anybody know how to reach her by phone or email. I'm told that "her team" is already looking at all Disney complaints, but if that's so, I'm even more discouraged....because nobody is reaching out to even say "I'm sorry this happened." If this is what the "Disney experience" has fallen to, then I'm selling my vacation ownership and my Disney stock.

We stayed at Aulani October 2019 and had some problems. We were treated the same way. I had to tell my story to many different managers. They obviously did not communicate my complaints to others. Each said they would check into it, yet nothing was done. It’s sad that such a beautiful resort has such clueless staff...oh, and no apologies were issued until I made a big loud fuss while guest were checking out that they decided to send a fruit plate to our room. Ours was a safety issue at the resort also. Maybe it’s just the Hawaiian way...not sure.

In January, my granddaughter cut her foot on glass in the Aulani pool (which required an urgent care visit), and the lifeguards were still letting people in to the pool. It took our son-in-law finding a bucket's worth of glass in the pool before they evacuated the area and performed a proper search. Equally as disturbing, we have been trying repeatedly to bring this to Disney Vacation Club's attention, and we are having an unbelievably bad experience. They've given us incorrect email addresses for complaints handling and for claims. I've had to call them four times to follow up, and I get a different story every time (from supervisors). My last resort is trying to reach Terri Schultz, VP. Does anybody know how to reach her by phone or email. I'm told that "her team" is already looking at all Disney complaints, but if that's so, I'm even more discouraged....because nobody is reaching out to even say "I'm sorry this happened." If this is what the "Disney experience" has fallen to, then I'm selling my vacation ownership and my Disney stock.

This has nothing to do with DVC it should be managed by Disney resorts contact them.

Wow. That's a lot of glass. Which pool? As others have indicated, did you deal with management onsite immediately? This is always the best way to handle.

We were there in February and one of the life guards fell asleep multiple times. He wasn’t watching the lazy river at all. I even reported it to other lifeguards and management, but the two times I saw him later in the day he was also slouched over with his eyes closed. I was very unimpressed with the lifeguards there

We were there in February and one of the life guards fell asleep multiple times. He wasn’t watching the lazy river at all. I even reported it to other lifeguards and management, but the two times I saw him later in the day he was also slouched over with his eyes closed. I was very unimpressed with the lifeguards there
We were also there in February and the main ice machines by the pool (fast food place) was broken all week. I complained because they had a huge barrel of ice with a scoop that everyone stuck their hands in to get the ice. I complained about how unsanitary this was. So during peak hours, they had an employee with gloves giving out the ice. That solved it during peak hours but when their shift ended, everyone went back with sticking their hands in getting the ice.

I'm so sorry that happened to you - I'd be frustrated as well.

Take Pete's advice and tell your story on twitter, making sure to tag Disney. If you have pictures that will be even more effective.

They can't give you the run around when thousands of people are watching!

We stayed at Aulani October 2019 and had some problems. We were treated the same way. I had to tell my story to many different managers. They obviously did not communicate my complaints to others. Each said they would check into it, yet nothing was done. It’s sad that such a beautiful resort has such clueless staff...oh, and no apologies were issued until I made a big loud fuss while guest were checking out that they decided to send a fruit plate to our room. Ours was a safety issue at the resort also. Maybe it’s just the Hawaiian way...not sure.
Why would you say "Maybe it’s just the Hawaiian way"? Sounds hella racist to group an entire ethnic group based off of bad customer service at a Disney resort.

Never had any problems during multiple stays at Aulani. Everybody is so nice and helpful expecially compared compared to Southern California where I live. Broken ice machines? Omg, accept it and keep it moving. Why you gonna waste vacation time complaining about stuff like that?

Never had any problems during multiple stays at Aulani. Everybody is so nice and helpful expecially compared compared to Southern California where I live. Broken ice machines? Omg, accept it and keep it moving. Why you gonna waste vacation time complaining about stuff like that?
I guess you haven't been paying attention to the news about Coronavirus and flu season and how easily it spreads. Did a broken ice machine ruin my vacation......no, and I didn't feel like I was wasting my time bringing it to Disney's attention that I saw a kid put their hand in the bucket to get ice not using the scoop. I actually find it gross and wanted to make sure germs were not going to spread to others. Ulu Cafe did not have any working ice/water machines all week. With the resort being as big as it is, they should have moved another ice/water machine to that location.

Why would you say "Maybe it’s just the Hawaiian way"? Sounds hella racist to group an entire ethnic group based off of bad customer service at a Disney resort.
it is and isn't racist...its just something that happens when both an ethnicity and state share the same name...

californians applies to people who live in california...but since theres no ethnicity that would be called californians (not one that I can think of at least) its not a problem...unless puerto rico becomes a state (and maybe guam?) no other state has this issue.

it gets weirder when you factor in that 1 of the islands is also called hawaii...

it is and isn't racist...its just something that happens when both an ethnicity and state share the same name...

I agree.

I'm from Hawaii, but I'm not Hawaiian - I'm kamaaina, local. This is not intuitive for visitors, so I think it's best to offer some grace in this situation. I think what @linco711 meant was that it's the "Hawaii way" meaning that's the way things are handled/done in Hawaii, not the "Hawaiian way" meaning that's how the Hawaiian race does things. I don't think he or she meant any offense to the Hawaiians. And OP does have a point - Hawaii has a reputation for being laid back and being on "Hawaiian time" for a reason.

Very sorry about your experience, it is very stressful to get injured while on vacation and even more so dealing with the aftermath (Daughter was injured in Vietnam last March and still haven't resolved it with insurance).

We returned from Aulani recently and I had a complaint that I voiced to a DVC sales rep who brought over a supervisor to come and talk with me. He listened to my complaint and apologized for the service miscommunication that occurred. Separately, I tried emailing Kim Agas, the GM of Aulani, about a question regarding Ko Olina beach policy and it was received by cast members who answered it for her. Their email addresses are their first name, dot, last name @disney.com, ie John.Doe@disney.com. I sent it to several iterations of her name, not sure which one went through.

Do you have pictures of the cut on her foot and the glass that was collected? Try posting them on Twitter. Sometimes a picture gets more attention.

We had a problem at Aulani a couple of years ago around parking and our DVC membership. Resort management brushed us off. So I went to one of the concierges who solved our problem within 5 minutes. This suggests that complaining onsite, at the time of the problem, to someone dedicated to helping guests might be the best way to handle problems that seem stuck in the system.

Oh wow, I'm sorry you had such a bad time. Did you ever get any resolution? I was pretty appalled at the life guarding staff at Aulani. I've been in the industry for many many years and I would never allow my lifeguards to guard with such apathy as I saw. Maybe with enough complaints they'll implement a better training program...who knows.

We were also there in February and the main ice machines by the pool (fast food place) was broken all week. I complained because they had a huge barrel of ice with a scoop that everyone stuck their hands in to get the ice. I complained about how unsanitary this was. So during peak hours, they had an employee with gloves giving out the ice. That solved it during peak hours but when their shift ended, everyone went back with sticking their hands in getting the ice.
The three ice machines at Ulu Cafe were out of order for our entire visit (3/3-3/14). It’s seems crazy that it’s taking this long to get fixed. During one lunch hour, I did notice an employee passing out ice by the machines. At other times, a sign was on the machine instructing guests to see a cast member inside the cafe to obtain ice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter