Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for ages but I need some advice. I ended up in floods of tears this afternoon. I was sewing an appliqué Chip teacup onto some fabric which was to be made into a dress for my friends niece. It took me almost two hours and was going so well up until the very last stage of the appliqué design. My top thread kept breaking and when I tried to fix it I ended up accidentally turning the machine off! I started it back up again and managed to get back to the stage of appliqué design I was up to but it was not aligned the same and Chip ended up with a distorted mouth and eyes.

Anyway, I've had to throw the entire piece of fabric out and order more. I don't want to make the same mistake again so I thought about making Chip as a patch and iron it on after I've finished the dress. This is where I am stuck. What do I use to make the backing? Is it called heat n Bond or something else? Do I appliqué straight into it or use my usual tear away stabiliser?

Any help gratefully appreciated!!

This is the first time I have ever opened this thread - although I used to be a prolific sewer.

I was so saddened to hear of VBAndrea's death even though I never knew her even online. My BFF and ex-roomie (going back to college days) died of brain cancer 4 years ago. Prayers for Andreas's family in their time of loss.

Hi everyone, it's been a long while since I have been on here (mostly because we don't have any trips planned). I am still sewing - mostly for my son and some for myself.

Unfortunately the reason I am posting today is a very sad one. I want to let you know that one of our dear sisters, Andrea (VBAndrea) passed away yesterday from multiple strokes (likely complications due to brain cancer). She was diagnosed with a non-treatable form of brain cancer just over a year ago. She and her family have faced the diagnosis and treatment with strength, grace, and dignity. When she passed, her husband and her sister were by her side.

Andrea made a lot of positive differences in our group - she always volunteered for Big Gives, offered hugs and support whenever needed, and provided advice when asked. She made the most beautiful patchwork twirls and appliques "by hand." She will not be forgotten by those who loved her (even though a lot of us have never met her in person). All we know is that she is now in heaven, free from pain and suffering, and waiting for us to join her one day.

I would like to ask you to pray for Andrea's husband, her 2 children, her sister, and her mother during this difficult time. Thanks!

I was on today just checking in and Im sorry to here about VBAndrea. She was one of the members, including you, that I remember when this board was very active. I loved this thread then and it was the reason I joined the DIS! Will pray for her family.

I finished my easter sewing and 2 other dresses for the girls and then ball season kicked me to the moon... my DD4 is starting preteam for gymnastics so I've been playing with lycra. I've made 3 leotards....the one I'm on right now is going to be appliqued...I never find a quiet time to sew so righy now its sew at midnight or don't sew.

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for ages but I need some advice. I ended up in floods of tears this afternoon. I was sewing an appliqué Chip teacup onto some fabric which was to be made into a dress for my friends niece. It took me almost two hours and was going so well up until the very last stage of the appliqué design. My top thread kept breaking and when I tried to fix it I ended up accidentally turning the machine off! I started it back up again and managed to get back to the stage of appliqué design I was up to but it was not aligned the same and Chip ended up with a distorted mouth and eyes.

Anyway, I've had to throw the entire piece of fabric out and order more. I don't want to make the same mistake again so I thought about making Chip as a patch and iron it on after I've finished the dress. This is where I am stuck. What do I use to make the backing? Is it called heat n Bond or something else? Do I appliqué straight into it or use my usual tear away stabiliser?

I would applique onto regular cut away stabilizer...(not tear away) and iron heavy heat and bond to the back....not sure H&B light is a permanent adhesive (double check the package).

I would suggest doing the applique on felt and then stitching it on the dress. That way the applique can be reused later if wanted :) Another option is to do a patch. I recall watching a youtube video when I was making a patch for a Halloween costume. You will need plain fabric and some fray check to make it work, but then it would be ironed on.

I was on today just checking in and Im sorry to here about VBAndrea. She was one of the members, including you, that I remember when this board was very active. I loved this thread then and it was the reason I joined the DIS! Will pray for her family.

I finished my easter sewing and 2 other dresses for the girls and then ball season kicked me to the moon... my DD4 is starting preteam for gymnastics so I've been playing with lycra. I've made 3 leotards....the one I'm on right now is going to be appliqued...I never find a quiet time to sew so righy now its sew at midnight or don't sew.

Thanks everyone for your continued prayers for Andrea's family. Today was especially hard for them as it is the first Mother's Day without her. :(

I totally hear you on the sewing time...I try to sew after DS is in bed but I am often so tired that I ended up just lying on the couch! I can't wait to see how your leo's turn out.

Finally remembered to take a picture of something I made. My son was invited to a birthday party and I found out that it was super hero themed 6 days before the big day. And then I procrastinated until the last minute so this costume went from concept to completion in less 36 hours (including work and sleep)! "Dash" was quite popular at the party!

Attachments

• 18813153_1561669297185058_1847338388913698788_n.jpg
    18813153_1561669297185058_1847338388913698788_n.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 20
Finally remembered to take a picture of something I made. My son was invited to a birthday party and I found out that it was super hero themed 6 days before the big day. And then I procrastinated until the last minute so this costume went from concept to completion in less 36 hours (including work and sleep)! "Dash" was quite popular at the party!
Awesome job!

I did some non-Disney sewing this week - a Canada Day dress for me! DS saw me making the dress and he requested a matching shirt (which I had already planned anyway!) :)

Attachments

• 19396887_1582900171728637_4241315429166072050_n.jpg
    19396887_1582900171728637_4241315429166072050_n.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 23
PurpleEars cute dress!

We are planning on a trip to Disney World either in March of 2018 or 2019. Will be with friends who have two daughters who are currently 6 and 6 months. Looking forward to making them each a special outfit to wear. Going to keep looking here for ideas. Thanks!

PurpleEars cute dress!

We are planning on a trip to Disney World either in March of 2018 or 2019. Will be with friends who have two daughters who are currently 6 and 6 months. Looking forward to making them each a special outfit to wear. Going to keep looking here for ideas. Thanks!

Thanks! Hopefully you will get some ideas here (probably more from the older posts when the thread was much more active).

Here are more Canada Day sewing...a shirt for DS and a pair of skorts for me!
19424232_1585949721423682_3426471763803144542_n.jpg 19399978_1585957521422902_8637752696088440126_n.jpg

Wow, I need to check in more often.

Sorry to hear about Andrea.

I haven't been doing much sewing. I'm working on a zebra print dress for my niece to wear on our trip in a few months. If the weather cooperates (stays cool enough) I may have time to do another dress.

Thanks! Hopefully you will get some ideas here (probably more from the older posts when the thread was much more active).

Here are more Canada Day sewing...a shirt for DS and a pair of skorts for me!
View attachment 247433 View attachment 247434

PurpleEars....... those are really nice! Havent had a chance to start anything. Hoping too soon. Won't start with the trip ideas until we book. Still not sure when. Since you are in Canada - do you have a favorite place to purchase Disney fabrics? Thanks!!

Wow, I need to check in more often.

Sorry to hear about Andrea.

I haven't been doing much sewing. I'm working on a zebra print dress for my niece to wear on our trip in a few months. If the weather cooperates (stays cool enough) I may have time to do another dress.

I have been thinking about you and hope that you are not affected by the wild fires!

PurpleEars....... those are really nice! Havent had a chance to start anything. Hoping too soon. Won't start with the trip ideas until we book. Still not sure when. Since you are in Canada - do you have a favorite place to purchase Disney fabrics? Thanks!!

I will admit that I buy my Disney woven fabrics at many different places - Fabricland (only if they are at least 50% off), Joann's (when we go to the US), Fabric.com (to ship to a hotel when we go to the US), and local quilt shops. We only go down to the US once or twice a year, so I tend to do a big order before we go. Joann's and Fabric.com also have Disney knit fabric now too. I have also seen some Disney inspired custom knit prints in some groups, but I haven't purchased any of those. (Where are you located? You may be able to shop from my stash hahaha!)

I have been thinking about you and hope that you are not affected by the wild fires!

I will admit that I buy my Disney woven fabrics at many different places - Fabricland (only if they are at least 50% off), Joann's (when we go to the US), Fabric.com (to ship to a hotel when we go to the US), and local quilt shops. We only go down to the US once or twice a year, so I tend to do a big order before we go. Joann's and Fabric.com also have Disney knit fabric now too. I have also seen some Disney inspired custom knit prints in some groups, but I haven't purchased any of those. (Where are you located? You may be able to shop from my stash hahaha!)

No, I'm closer to Vancouver. It's the interior that is quite bad. Can't believe that people are still so careless. I know not all of the fires were caused by humans.

I also purchase my Disney fabric from the US. Mostly Wal-mart or Joann's. I only by from Fabricland if it's at least 50% off, but I haven't bought any in at least a few years.

No, I'm closer to Vancouver. It's the interior that is quite bad. Can't believe that people are still so careless. I know not all of the fires were caused by humans.

I also purchase my Disney fabric from the US. Mostly Wal-mart or Joann's. I only by from Fabricland if it's at least 50% off, but I haven't bought any in at least a few years.

Glad that you are not directly affected by the fires! We had the smoke blown in yesterday morning and it was bad! I can't imagine how much worse it would be closer to the fires.

On a side note, I found a local quilt shop that had a good selection of Disney fabric and all priced lower than Fabricland! To make it even better, they had an annual sale last weekend so I got them at 40% off, which meant they were all less than $10 a metre. I honestly don't understand how a local shop can have more selection and better prices than a chain store, but I am always happy to support small businesses. There are also a bunch of online stores in Canada that carry a small selection Disney fabric, but the shipping is still prohibitive at times.

Glad that you are not directly affected by the fires! We had the smoke blown in yesterday morning and it was bad! I can't imagine how much worse it would be closer to the fires.

On a side note, I found a local quilt shop that had a good selection of Disney fabric and all priced lower than Fabricland! To make it even better, they had an annual sale last weekend so I got them at 40% off, which meant they were all less than $10 a metre. I honestly don't understand how a local shop can have more selection and better prices than a chain store, but I am always happy to support small businesses. There are also a bunch of online stores in Canada that carry a small selection Disney fabric, but the shipping is still prohibitive at times.
We have had quite a few evacuees coming to our city or passing through on their way to other cities closer to Vancouver. We have had some warnings about the smoke. It is harder to see the mountains around here. So far I've been okay with my asthma. I was going to go hiking with a friend on Saturday but then she said it was more smokey up on the mountain when she went on a hike yesterday. I said I better pass on the hike until the smoke clears.

I haven't posted on here for a very long time as my kids are older. I am now thinking about starting to embroider and/or applique. Suggestions on an embroidery machine? I seem to remember that years ago Brother made a reasonably priced decent machine. What is everyone using?

TIA
UMTerp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!