Discouraged by restaurant reviews

mlwear

DIS Veteran
I have been on these boards quite a bit in the past week trying to do some initial planning. This is especially important because as those of you who have read my posts know, I have a 7 yo autistic son. He is high functioning, but is highly distractable (moreso than any of his teachers and therapists have experienced). If there is too much stimuli, sometimes he will just zone out. Other times it will bring on intense echolalia and verbalizations. Other times head banging -- if you know autism, you get the picture.
I have finally made PS's (or AR's) at restaurants, but I am getting really nervous. All the time I am reading about the terrible experiences that people had at the places I have chosen.
For example, I thought Ohana's would be a good choice for our first night. We are staying at Polynesian and my kids love going to a local Brazillian restaurant that does the skewers of meat. I just read a post about how noisy it is and their are children up against your table doing the coconut races and hula hoop contests. My son might like watching this (he may even join in for a minute or two) but I can't have people right up next to our table playing games while he is trying to eat.
Spirit of Aloha is our final meal and I am getting mixed reviews about it. I'm very much on the fence. I think sitting with groups of strangers will be hard, but he loves music and will watch dancing and fire as long as their isn't too much down time.
I chose Ohana for a character breakfast. I'm told this is a little more calm than the others. Although, I know none will be CALM.
We are using the dining plan, so I am trying to plan to get our money's worth. But, it sure is hard. I fear that we may end up eating a lot of room service. Hmmm...does anyone know if the restaurants that aren't buffets but are on the dining plan will let you get your food to go? Sure wouldn't want to do that all the time, but could come in handy.
Suggestions and advice would be great. I am sort of venting some frustration and desperation here.
BTW, I have a 10 year old "typical" son also. I don't want his whole trip to be completely controlled by his brother's needs. Sadly, that happens so often.

mlwear said:
I have been on these boards quite a bit in the past week trying to do some initial planning. This is especially important because as those of you who have read my posts know, I have a 7 yo autistic son. He is high functioning, but is highly distractable (moreso than any of his teachers and therapists have experienced). If there is too much stimuli, sometimes he will just zone out. Other times it will bring on intense echolalia and verbalizations. Other times head banging -- if you know autism, you get the picture.
I have finally made PS's (or AR's) at restaurants, but I am getting really nervous. All the time I am reading about the terrible experiences that people had at the places I have chosen.
For example, I thought Ohana's would be a good choice for our first night. We are staying at Polynesian and my kids love going to a local Brazillian restaurant that does the skewers of meat. I just read a post about how noisy it is and their are children up against your table doing the coconut races and hula hoop contests. My son might like watching this (he may even join in for a minute or two) but I can't have people right up next to our table playing games while he is trying to eat.
Spirit of Aloha is our final meal and I am getting mixed reviews about it. I'm very much on the fence. I think sitting with groups of strangers will be hard, but he loves music and will watch dancing and fire as long as their isn't too much down time.
I chose Ohana for a character breakfast. I'm told this is a little more calm than the others. Although, I know none will be CALM.
We are using the dining plan, so I am trying to plan to get our money's worth. But, it sure is hard. I fear that we may end up eating a lot of room service. Hmmm...does anyone know if the restaurants that aren't buffets but are on the dining plan will let you get your food to go? Sure wouldn't want to do that all the time, but could come in handy.
Suggestions and advice would be great. I am sort of venting some frustration and desperation here.
BTW, I have a 10 year old "typical" son also. I don't want his whole trip to be completely controlled by his brother's needs. Sadly, that happens so often.

First of all, my heart goes out to you
sdw101.gif

I've always found the "San Angel Inn" in Mexico/World Showcase to be quite quiet (and relaxing). Also, 1900 Park Fare is also on the quiet side (imo).

Are you looking for restaurants only in the resorts.. or in the parks as well?

We enjoy Restaurant Marakesh in Morrocco, Epcot. It is a very large restaurant, yet is very quiet. We go at lunch time. During our meal, 2 musicians, one playing drums and another one, play, and after about 5 minutes a belly dancer comes out and dances to the music. After a while, she usually invites the younger ones to join her on the dance floor. All of the entertainment is family oriented. The food is excellent, service supreme, and the ambience is very lovely.

We were at WDW in April - that is me DH, DD8 and DS10. My DS has Asperger Syndrome and ADD and is a very picky eater. Admittedly WDW was fairly quiet during our first week there, but DS managed fairly well.

I took some very soft earplugs which DS used whenever the noise levels overwhelmed him. We only had a few PS's - none at the Restaurants you have mentioned, but we looked at the pictures on Allears.com and the menus so that it wasn't all unexpected.

I found the Concourse Steakhouse a wonderful calm escape from MK. We went on the monorail and it is a cool place for pre teens! DD loved the glowing non alchoholic cocktails and the Mickey brownie sundae. :earsboy:

We found that explaining to CM's who seated us that DS was autistic and liked to be seated in the quieter parts of the Restaurant helped a lot. At MGM I popped to Hollywood and Vine before out PS time without the family and explained and we were given a nice booth away from the main walkways.
I know they cannot always guarantee this kind of help but I think most would try.

Dinner shows and character meals weren't on our itinerary so sorry I can't help with tips. No idea about the carry out options either, but I hope you don't have to eat in your room too often. I don't want to patronise you but many Autistic kids I know love their Game Boys and will easily sit two to three times longer if allowed them in Restaurants. Until very recently it was the only way to DS to stay at the table without some kind of stimming.

By the way vent away that is exactly why these boards are so popular!
I hope you get some good answers and that you all have a great trip.

Regards
Rosie

Thank you, Rosie!
Concourse is on our list! Yea! :banana:
In the past most restaurants have been accomodating as far as giving us booths and quiet areas. Hopefully, that will work.
Didn't think of using the earplugs in the restaurants. My son loves to wear his, so we'll definitely give that a try.
Oh no, I would never take comments/suggestions as patronizing. Sometimes you just don't think of the obvious. My older son (who shows traits of Aspergers, but that is a far as docs will go with a dx) would sit through anything with his gameboy. Unfortunately, younger son will play only a couple of minutes. Either something distracts him or he becomes frustrated. However, he has recently become very obsessive with drawing. He will sit and draw for quite a while. I need to keep that in mind and have a little sketch book and crayons always at the ready.
DH doesn't want to do any character meals. But, I have such trouble resisting the urge to want to do the "typical" stuff that I begged for just one.
Thanks for listening/reading my vent!

I think O'hana has two rooms. Maybe you could ask to be seated in the room farthest away from the activity. Or...maybe a corner table with your son in the corner where he can see all the action, but the other people/children won't go near him.

If you haven't already done so, consider scheduling your p.s.'s for early/off times. The restaurants won't be quite as crowded and they may be able to accomodate your seating requests better. You can always use your snack voucher later in the evening if you get hungry again.

Remember, this is your vacation too. Make things as easy for yourself as possible. If chicken strips every night makes for happy dining, then go for it. If a gameboy with earphones (or a portable DVD player for that matter) will help, bring it along. If you're having a complete meltdown day, consider eating in shifts. I know that I have no problem eating by myself, especially if it's been a particularly trying day (I'll take peace and quiet any way I can).

Also know that there is no pleasing some people. I've had people roll their eyes at me when my children were behaving wonderfully, but may have giggled a little too loudly once or twice (not nearly as loud as some adults speak). I've had people make comments when the kids have sat like little angels the whole meal and at the end want to go around to the other side of the table to give their dad a hug (didn't bump anyone). Do your best to control the situation, bail when necessary, enjoy your meal, and let the grumps be grumps.

We've been at OHana's and had a table away from the antics - we actually were unaware that some things were going on - so quiet tables do exist there. I also find Mama Melrose's (MGM) and Le Cellier (Epcot) to be quieter, calmer locations with great food.

I don't know how he does with buffets (the constant up and down to get food), but Trail's End at the campground has sort of an L shaped eating area, where the area down by the bar is usually fairly empty. There's also rocking chairs right out on the verandah that you could have a little quiet time at. The petting zoo is close by, and walking trails. As someone else said, off times will be quietest. I've had a late lunch there and been almost alone (although due to Hoop Dee Doo being next door, late night can be busy with people passing by).
Good luck!
Terri

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and support. :grouphug:
I may need to rethink a few that I have planned and go for the quieter types.
I made all AR's for 5:00. I thought that would be early enough to beat the crowds. What do you think? I'd love to dine at night and watch the fireworks, but that will be for another time... Definitely need to keep as many things on a schedule and same as possible.
We are going to attempt to leave the boys at Neverland for a few hours one evening...fingers crossed.

One thing to remember is that people are much more likley to tell about their bad experiences than the good ones.
Another thing is that since everyone is different, the worst place for one family might be the best place for your family.
And, I think your early AR will help a lot. For us, since we are coming from the midwest, 5pm Florida time would be like eating at 4pm here, and it's even earlier for people coming from further west. So, I think, eating at 5 should really help you avoid crowds.

While I don't have any children....my mother (64 yoa) and myself (42 yoa) have panic/anxiety disorder.

We have been to 'Ohana's and did not sit in the area where the children were playing. We also went to LTT. Mom really wants to go back to both of these places.

When we do any of the shows we explain about the anxiety and claustrophia....and request to sit near an exit in case we need to make a hasty retreat.

The ear plugs sound like a wonderful idea....I may do the same thing for myself!

Bet you have a great time!

Two thumbs up for Concourse - you can request a table away from Chef Mickey's and you won't even know it's there.

Another nice restaurant is the Plaza in MK. We ate there last week and it was delicious. And relatively quiet considering we were a party of 12 (including 5 kids under the age of 5).

First of all a heavy heartfelt sigh for the comment about "I just want to do some typical things" Many of us have ASD kids and truly understand!
My son has a hard time sitting anywhere! I second eating in Mexico at Epcot. It's calming and very beautiful.
During the dinner show at Poly, it's easy and convenient to take him out and walk around a little bit while still being able to see the show.
If the Rainforest is too much .... with the big crowds, lots of noise, and fish and bright colors everywhere, ask for a seat behind the restaurant outdoors. You can still walk through the main dining area but have your actual dining experience on the back patio. It's quieter and less stimulating.
Good luck and have a wonderful time.

mlwear said:
For example, I thought Ohana's would be a good choice for our first night. We are staying at Polynesian and my kids love going to a local Brazillian restaurant that does the skewers of meat. I just read a post about how noisy it is and their are children up against your table doing the coconut races and hula hoop contests. .

as others have mentioned Ohana's has tables all over the place. there is one area in front of the 'grill' ( grill was in the center area)that they have the kids play among the tables,(east side?), we were off to the 2nd side (North side?)of the grill & had to really 'stretch' to see what was goin on with the kids.. there are also tables further away (west side?)where I am sure your family will be fine! (it was not noisy where were either)

you mentioned you were doing a character dinner.
I've read from previous posters, that you might want to let the host/hostess/wait staff know of your situation. This way when the characters come to your table. You let them know what kind of interaction is good for your child. What you child can and can't handle.

I've heard of people doing that, so the character approaches slowly, or let the child do to the initiation, and if all the child wanted to do was wave to the character from across the table that was good enough.

It is good to notify the handlers if you see them, because sometimes when your not expecting it, a chracter will walk up behind you when your not paying attention and surprise you. May be fine for me, but may not be good for your child.

Have a fun trip, just remind the cm's when you first arrive of your special situation..
Connie

Ohhh...thank you. A surprise from behind would be VERY bad. Never thought about that. When he has met costumed characters in the past (Easter Bunny, a few at a local theme park) he usually wants to look at them for a minute (judging the situation, I guess). It isn't for a long time, like 15 seconds, this is when he is often shoved out of the way by the other kids. But, when he does get a minute, he will shake hands, but he also always wants to feel the costume. Nothing weird, just a quick rub on the leg or arm for the texture, I guess. For some reason he is often drawn to less popular characters. At our theme park we have the Nick Jr. characters, while the others are with Dora and Blue, my son goes straight for Little Bill. :rotfl: Little Bill seems to get no other attention. His FAVORITE Disney character is Captain Hook. I have no idea why. I know he won't be at any character breakfast, but I'm hoping we see him in the park. I doubt he has as many fans; although I know all the kids will want to see as many characters as they can regardless. OK. I'm getting way OT here.

My children don't have the same issues as yours but I wanted to add that we had great service and attention at Le Cellier. If possible ask to get the number to speak to folks at the restaurant directly. They went above and beyond for our son (who is diabetic and also highly allergic to peanut/nuts). Can you note the need for a quiet table on your PS? That might help too.

The Pizzafari restaurant at the AK has lots of space to spread out - and table outside usually. We like eating outside if the weather if nice and the tables there are open. Of the character meals we did, LTT seemed the most calm (we did CP and Chef Mickey's too). We had dinner at CRT and it seems like a nice quiet place and interesting - some of the best food we had our entire trip and great service as well.

SciFi diner when we were there for lunch was rather quiet - you sit in rows of 2 however facing a movie screen watching old B movie sci fi film clips. It is also a bit dark in there.

Because of my son's dietary needs we had PS's that were generally on the early side for lunch (like 11-11:30) and for dinner (5:30) and it is easier to get seated more quickly and I think you'd be more likely to have requests for a certain table (seating area) made if the restaurant is less crowded.

My 7 year old doesn't have an special dietary needs and the chefs always made an effort to accomodate his special requests too. He would see his brother being able to make substitutions/get things that weren't even on the menu and of course he had some requests of his own :earboy2:

I agree with others that go and enjoy and please don't sit in your room eating meals! My son's needs/challenges are rather different but I think at WDW they will generally be very supportive. Have a great trip!

have you consider renting points and staying at a DVC resort?

they all have at least a under the counter refrigerator and a microwave.

the 1-bedroom and up have a full kitchen.

if you want the MK - I would suggest VWL.

however - Epcot is much quieter than the MK.

I like the breakfast (sorry only breakfast has the characters) at Cape May Cafe. It is Goofy's beach blast. this is at BC.

It is probably the quietest and best food - buffett only - but it is small buffett so the food is replaced often.

they can seat you far enough away that people coming and going won't bother him.

this restuarant has several quiet places.

I would definitely stay away from the main pool - but sometimes the quiet pool might work out okay.

I was going to suggest Cape May for the character meal too. DS LOVES this one and he can be prone to meltdowns when there is too much noise. I have explained our situation in every restaurant we've eaten in at WDW and they have always done their very best to accomodate us. I would also second mentioning it to the Host/Hostess who seats you at a character meal. They can help with the way the charachters approach like another poster mentioned. My DS also has the sensory thing where he wants to touch the fabric/costume. I have always found the charachters to be great about this. We almost couldn't get him away from Sully in MGM one day b/c I think he found the feel of his costume really pleasant. We ended up ordering one from Disneydirect and he still loves it 2 years later.

We usually do the early PS thing too and it really will help getting table requests. I don't know how many restaurants will do this but we've had them pack up our food on a few occasions at Whispering Canyon b/c sometimes DS can do this place sometimes not, I just can never predict and he always wants to try it. I've found if I find a CM and make my needs known they'll generally try to accomodate most requests made due to DS's PDD/Sensory Integration disorders. I just quickly explain what will help him(If I can figure it out LOL)and why and have never gotten any trouble getting the help we need. Good Luck and have a great time.

My 9 yo son has Asperger's...and these are a few of the places we've had great success. Mind you, we've moved down here almost a year ago and our goal has been to get to every restaurant at least once! However, there are a few that are such favorites, that we end up there more frequently.

Concourse steakhouse-love it...food's great and my kids eat! We've also done Chef Mickey's, but we tend to request a table along a wall.

'Ohana. Hands down, the family favorite. Again, we ask for a table against one of the walls. It's 50/50 whether my son will participate in the activities, but being against a wall or window greatly reduces the noise factor.

Trails End. Off the beaten path, and as a result, they can be far more attentive to your needs. Our server on one occasion heard my son protesting that they didn't have the macs and cheese and soon arrived with a plate of it.

Sci Fi in Disney Studios-the darkness helps to regroup and refocus. He loves their desserts, so we tell him he has to eat the whole meal to get it-always works.

Biergarten in Epcot-again, darkness, buffet that he likes the choices. He likes the music, but if your son has issues with horns, probably wouldn't work. We've used this place many times when son is close to a meltdown.

LeCellier in Epcot-very calm and relaxing atmosphere and everyone in the family loves the food.

Garden Grill in Epcot-the moving of the restaurant is a good distraction.

When making your priority seatings, make sure you let them know of your needs (against a wall, quietest part of the dining room).

Good luck!

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter