Discovery Cove Report

jsmla

DIS Veteran
Someone posted this in reply to my questions on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies forum and I thought I’d share it here.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-vs-universal-covid.3809518/post-62210510

“We LOVED it! My 8yo daughter said it was one of the best days of her life! I had originally booked the no dolphin day and then upgraded to the dolphins when it went on sale. Although it was cool meeting the dolphins, my daughter said that was her least favorite part of the day and we wouldn’t do it again, so don’t second guess your decision. The photo packages are insanely expensive (like $200), which is pretty ridiculous imo when you’ve already paid so much to be there.

The park opens at 9:00 but you can get there as early as 7:30however, since you do not need to sign up for a dolphin time, there is no need to get there that early. We got there at 7:45 and had to wait in line about 15 min to get in. If you are planning on eating the breakfast (which is included) I would recommend getting there around 8:15-8:30. The breakfast wasn’t great, similar to a free hotel breakfast, but it is included. After that, you can get your vests or wetsuits and locker, and kind of get the lay of the land before they open the swimming areas at 9:00.

I had read somewhere that the birds are more active in the morning, so we went to the aviary first. The aviary was closed for awhile due to covid, but it IS back open now and you can feed the birds as much as you want. There are two lazy rivers in that area, a smaller one where you can see otters and little monkeys, and a larger one where you swim through the aviary. The larger one does get deep in spots, and there are life vests if you want them. We did not need them, but we did see a family that had to be “rescued” when they started to struggle. There are lots of lifeguards and they are very professional. The water is warmer in these areas so it is also a good choice for earlier in the day before it gets really hot. The water in the saltwater reef is much cooler due to the rays and fish living there, so we enjoyed doing that later when it got hotter.

There are large jugs of animal-friendly sunscreen near the lockers. Honestly, it didn’t work very well. I was slathered in that stuff and still burned. So, it you are prone to burning like I am, I would recommend a swim shirt or else wearing one of the provided wetsuits.

They will assign you a time for lunch (12:00, 1:00 or 2:00) but they didn’t even check the times. I think they are trying to spread ppl out due to COVID, but it is very flexible. I thought the lunch was pretty good, and you can go back for as much as you want. In fact, we are at noon and I went back for a little snack around 2:30.

There are self serve soda and icee machines throughout the park, and help yourself snacks like bags of chips. We were able to walk right up and it was not busy at all. Beer and win are included but I did not partake in that. I did notice there tended to be a short line for the bar, but usually only 4-5ppl.

Those are the main things I can think of, but if you have any questions lmk! Have a great trip!!”

What's the mask situation? I read you need to wear one when meeting the dolphin but what about in the aviary? Also did they have ice cream and cookies at the drink areas? (they did last year when we went, the cookies were so good!)

I didn’t write the report, my DC visit isn’t until next month. The link will take you to the OP, maybe you could ask there?

What's the mask situation? I read you need to wear one when meeting the dolphin but what about in the aviary? Also did they have ice cream and cookies at the drink areas? (they did last year when we went, the cookies were so good!)
As of last week, masks are required in the dining area, aviary, and shops/guest services areas. They still have the ice cream, pretzels, and cookies, but you now have to ask and be served the pretzels and cookies.

Can you get fresh masks at the Aviary? Otherwise, how do you keep your mask dry when swimming to the aviary?

Can you get fresh masks at the Aviary? Otherwise, how do you keep your mask dry when swimming to the aviary?
We bought those lanyard water proof casrs fornour phones and put our masks in I stead. Worked like a charm!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!