Disney Adds 744 Jobs!

It's interesting to note that while this article was at the top of the front page, it has not caught on as a topic of conversation, while a puff piece (that dealt with an uninformed and unconnected person's opion as well as internet rumors) that appeared in the business section became an instant reply-magnet.
Is anyone really surprised?

Thanks for posting the article. It's nice to FINALLY hear some good news that Disney is picking up!:) I can't tell you how upsetting it was for us to hear that POFQ, and POR were closing or downsizing. Then to hear that the DI is also closing!! I just hope that some of the people that were laid off got their jobs back, and that others' hours are increased.

Layoffs seem to have been leveling off around here too. Initially, companies reacted quickly, not knowing what to expect in future business, and made many cutbacks and layoffs. Slowly, things are returning to a little bit more normal level, although still not back to where they should be, it's a definate improvement!!!

Go Disney Go!!!!!:D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The resort closings (At least at PO) are temporary, and CMs from those areas have been redeployed, not layed off. The 744 jobs are in addition to positions already filled from within (including resort CM redeployment), and 400 or so are Full Time and Part Time positions, while the rest are seasonal.

I have never seen anything that indicated how many CM's were originally let go or had their hours radically cut. I wonder if the CM's with shorter hours will get more now?

I'm hopeful about all of this. :)

Full Time Hourly CMs went down to 32 hrs/week, Part Time went down to 2 or fewer days a week, and Seasonal only got to work when absolutely needed (for a while I had to call in at 6am the day of if I wanted a shift). Hours are edging back up for everyone, and they should be back to normal soon (we've already got overtime in my department again).

Steve, normally your responses are pretty chipper. I always enjoy reading your thoughtful and informational additions to any topic.

Yes, there are a few of us around here who are Walt Fanatics. We set a high standard for this company, and get frustrated when we think that the leaders of the Company are skirting around those high standards in the pursuit of profit over creativity.

Other than the direct, and happy, benefit of restoring jobs to well-deserving CM's, there is not much to say about adding jobs there. I wish I had an insightful comment on it. I don't. When they announce BK or Australia for Animal Kingdom, or they announce a new mountain for the Magic Kingdom, I promise I will be one of the first ten posters on the subject. (joke about the quickness of responses to some topics lately...by the time I read it, there are 45 responses in one day!).

If I don't, I'll buy you a Kungaloosh on my next trip. ;)

I'm still pretty chipper, but exams are wearing on me. The major motivation behind recent cutbacks was to keep as many CMs employed as possible, and I think that's pretty 'Walt' of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter