Disney Asks Workers To Reduce Hours

Pluto4President

DIS Veteran ºoº DVC 4ME
Shorter Workweek Strictly Voluntary
Posted: 1:45 p.m. EDT October 23, 2001
Updated: 1:59 p.m. EDT October 23, 2001

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. --The continued slump in visitors to Florida prompted Disney officials Monday to offer salaried employees a four-day workweek.

The shorter workweek would come with a 20-percent reduction in their paychecks. Disney has already reduced the operating hours and number of shows at their theme parks.

"I would do it if push came to shove. Yes," Disney employee Elizabeth Perez said.

But Disney spokesman Bill Warren said that the officials don't want to shove any workers. He insisted that the move is strictly voluntary, and layoffs continued to not be an option.

"We feel it is our responsibility to keep as many of our people working as possible. We're going to continue to do that. There is absolutely no pressure on any of our employees to take the program," Warren said.

However, Disney did let 40 highly paid technical contract workers go last week. Disney said that it will revisit the reduced work hour option every 90 days.

THIS RUMOR IS FALSE!!!! I REPEAT, IT IS FALSE!!!

Salaried CM's get paid the same REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY HOURS THEY WORK
Whether they work 2 or 200 hours, they get paid the same.

It's not a rumor 7400 SALARIED workers are the one's affected by this. Watch the local news or check the local papers.

I just received an email from Disney telling me that this is false. The news is not always right.. remember CNN during last years election?

This was in the Reuters business news:

Tuesday October 23, 5:29 pm Eastern Time

Disney World offers employees 4-day week, pay cuts

LOS ANGELES, Oct 23 (Reuters) - The Walt Disney Co.'s (NYSE: DIS - news) Walt Disney World theme park in Orlando, Florida, in an
ongoing effort to cut costs, has offered salaried employees the option a four-day work week with a corresponding drop in pay.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Disney World said the offer was made to workers on a voluntary basis and, so far, the number of
interested employees ``has been minimal.''

The offer comes as the theme park business in general, and Disney World in particular, has been grappling with lower attendance following the Sept. 11 air attacks on the
World Trade Center and Pentagon.

Disney World said it would continue looking for ways to manage its costs. Walt Disney Co. already announced large cuts in its global workforce earlier this year.

The Article

This really isn't a terribly unusual thing for a company to do in times of severe market downturn. It's been done here in Silicon Valley by many companies.

Gary

Perhaps you should show your "email" to the Disney spokesperson who was on the news, and was confirming this story.

Originally posted by Kotar
Perhaps you should show your "email" to the Disney spokesperson who was on the news, and was confirming this story.

ok, so Disney lied to me.. it's not like they've never lied before

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter