Disney Board Game - Big Thunder Mountain

Scootin'By

DIS Veteran
For Christmas I received Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - the board game! This is a Funko game (so you know it's going to be decent to start) and I've wanted to try for a while. I had read mixed reviews online but I have been pleasantly surprised by this game and really enjoy playing it.

The object of the game is to "mine ore" from the mountain. You do this by collecting marbles from around the board and it can be surprisingly difficult sometimes. I've played this game three times in the 7 days I've owned it and each time has been different.

The first thing I wanted to test was whether it was too easy to win or whether the first person had an advtange. As far as I can see, this is not the case. The cards are nicely randomized and can make a round fairly difficult. The same with the marbles when they come out of the mountain. And the first player does not seem to have any advantage.

The second thing I wanted to test was the quality of the game. Overall, it's pretty good. It's definitely not going to fall apart and I feel like for the money, it's good enough. Sometimes the marble spinner gets a little stuck, but it's okay. Both the mine carts and trains are nice (not as nice as the Jungle Cruise boats, but still nice). And the cards and tokens and stuff are made from good quality paper.

Last thing I wanted to test was fun. I picked up how to play during the first round, but was able to test different approaches on the second and third. My oldest daughter (10) also picked it up quickly, but my youngest (7) needed some help. By the end of the third game they were both experts and everyone agreed that it's a keeper!

All around, another great theme park ride turned board game. My favorites so far, in order, are Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain (see post below), and Jungle Cruise. Now I'm just a little sad because I think that this is the last par ride turned board game that I have to try :(

https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-board-games-space-mountain.3924934/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter