Disney Discounts...the complexity & the frustration

which agency offers exclusive rates?
They who shall not be named...
img_1031.png

:wave:Wanted to report back that I finally found a combo that worked for our family! Split stay! We're now doing the first three nights at Pop Century as originally planned, and I was able to get the gift of magic discount for those nights. Then for the last two nights we're moving to AKL and I was able to find a standard view room also with the gift of magic discount. So all totaled the change cost us $350 to drop two nights at Pop and add two nights at AKL. I feel good about this solution as it's a nice compromise for us and much more palatable than the $1000 it was going to cost us switch to AKL for the entire stay (the issue that caused me to hem and haw and lose that rate anyway!). Thanks to the folks on this thread for helping and letting me vent! :goodvibes

Agency exclusive rates are the way to go, if they suite a persons needed dates and/or hotel needs. I will be using them next year for a few nights at the Beach Club in May, or possibly at another time, but they are great rates. No need to try to figure out the circus that Disney likes to put on now a days.

After not getting a discount from Disney I went and booked a agency exclusive for January at the Poly (Garden View, Club Level) and got an awesome deal. I feel much better about the whole vacation now.

Just an FYI , I see Disney added a bunch of new resort availability for the Disney Visa offer (at least I am seeing that for our dates) .
Been looking for the past few days trying to decide which route to go, and all of a sudden a whole bunch of value resorts popped up as available, with the discounts.
In the end, we decided on Yacht Club .........seems like some of the best deals on available rooms are at YC for some reason. Got a garden / woods view at Yacht Club (all brand new refurbished rooms now) , for $283. a night. Thats not to far off what some of the moderates discounted rates are now a night !
One thing I noticed , is that the Moderates are not offering this discount on the weekends, so it really jacks up the base rate , while the Yacht Club (and some other Deluxe resorts) are including the discount over the weekend. That REALLY helps to keep the rate down , and discount intact for the whole stay. Kind of sneaky for the Moderates .
Good luck for everyone trying sift through these offers !

:wave:Wanted to report back that I finally found a combo that worked for our family! Split stay! We're now doing the first three nights at Pop Century as originally planned, and I was able to get the gift of magic discount for those nights. Then for the last two nights we're moving to AKL and I was able to find a standard view room also with the gift of magic discount. So all totaled the change cost us $350 to drop two nights at Pop and add two nights at AKL. I feel good about this solution as it's a nice compromise for us and much more palatable than the $1000 it was going to cost us switch to AKL for the entire stay (the issue that caused me to hem and haw and lose that rate anyway!). Thanks to the folks on this thread for helping and letting me vent! :goodvibes
Glad you got something you like. I will say doing POP first and then going to AKL is a much better approach. My wife and I did a YC/POP split stay in June (Saved some money with the summer discount :) ) The big thing we noticed was the let down of going from deluxe to value. Now POP was fine.........clean, well themed, but its not a deluxe. We wished we had booked POP first then YC........the feel would have been completely different. :)

Doug :goofy:

I'm seeing numerous posts about frustration over the discounts released today. I'm honestly frustrated myself (despite the fact that I'm already booked on a different discount and wasn't even using today's discounts).

I've been tracking Disney Discounts for a decade (if you're interested in this year's Stay Play Dine calculation thread check it out: https://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-2018-calculation-thread.3638155/) and today just really left me frustrated for everybody. This thread is to recap some of the reasons for my frustration - feel free to vent here too!

First off...The Complexity:
Today Disney has released the following discounts:
1) Disney Visa Cardmember Room Offer - really just a room only discount, and for most resorts is really the same discount as the "gift of magic" however for 9 specific resorts they offer a deeper room only discount for using your Visa Card. Oh and by the way the availability on the Visa discount is DIFFERENT than all the other discounts
2) Play, Stay, Dine Package Offer (we like to call it StayPlay&Dine around here or SPD since that what it was called in its first year). This discount is basically a discount on dining (see my thread posted above) but rather than just come out and say that they hide behind this strange name and mystical savings percentages. AND the availability for this is different than the other discounts.
3) Kid Size Play, Stay, Dine Package Offer...now you may be thinking oh this is a better price than the regular Play Stay and Dine...IT'S NOT! It's just the same discount as Play Stay and Dine EXCEPT they only put 2 days of tickets in there to show a lower package cost on the initial screen. WHO ARE THEY TRYING TO FOOL? Anybody can change the ticket parameters, If I wanted 2 days of tickets I'll pick 2 days...and if I want 8 I'll pick 8, but don't try to convince me that selecting less ticket days is some NEW option where I can save more money...Its always existed!
4) Gift of Magic Room Offer...It's a room only discount. What the heck is Gift of Magic and why must we call it that?? Call it a Room only Discount! AND again you guessed it...different availability than the other discounts
5) Family Gift of Magic Room Package...Another Room only discount but it requires tickets. Again, What the heck is Family Gift of Magic?? If I don't have a family can I still use it? I priced it out as a solo traveler...It seemed like it would let me book it. ALSO - I'm not even sure it saves you any money for Gift of Magic Room Offer...it just includes tickets, which I could add-on myself at anytime...

And then on top of this they put these weird phrases that say "Save up to $500" but it's really based on the EXACT family parameters they've selected, 2 adults a 12 year old and a 7 year old staying 4 nights and 5 days with a 3 day park hopper ticket...GUESS WHAT...you can save more than $500 if you're family and situation is different...you can save less also. These "example savings" mean nothing - tell me how the deal works! I can calculate 25% off my room, I can calculate 40% off the dining plan...I'm SMART!

Oh and add to that the cluster___ that was the release this morning...Computers down, long hold times, not online...now it is online...no it's not working...yes it is...bad CM info on the phone (some were outright lies!)...BLECH!

SECOND...THE FRUSTRATION....
Hmmm...the first point sounded kind of like frustration...but here we go anyway...

So you've picked which of these 5 incredibly complex and confusing options you want (not even sure if it's the best option but they've worn you down and you're just ready to hand over your $5,000)...and you go to pick a resort and they make you select things like CLUB LEVEL, PIRATE WATER VIEW, KING SUITE, etc...Room options that nobody really intended to pay for...and possibly are more expensive than just paying rack rate for the standard room that you really wanted. The availability on these discounts is really terrible this year...it's worse than last year, and it was bad last year.

And let's talk about price increases:

Here is an example of the StayPlayDine deal over the last 4 years.

Our example family is 2 adults, a child age 7 and a child age 1 (free). They are staying 6 nights in a standard room at CBR at the end of Jan/early Feb with 7 day base tickets and the regular Disney dining plan.

In 2015 under the SPD deal they would have paid (all approximate):
Rom: $1,057
Tickets: $1,014
Dining: $376
TOTAL: $2,447

In 2016 under the SPD deal they would have paid (all approximate):
Room: $1,122
Tickets: $1,049
Dining: $458
TOTAL: $2,629

In 2017 under the SPD deal they will pay (all approximate):
Room: $1,151
Tickets: $1,161
Dining: $524
TOTAL: $2,836

In 2018 under the SPD deal they will pay (all approximate):
Room: $1,172
Tickets: $1,293
Dining: $583
TOTAL: $3,048

So with the price increases on rooms, tickets & dining, combined with the lesser discount amounts...the example family pays $212 more in 2018 (vs. '17) and $207 more in 2017 (vs. '16). Over the 3 years analyzed the same exact discounted package goes up $601 which is approximately a 7.6% increase annually.

Same exact vacation...$601 more. I get that there's inflation and such...but 7.6% annually??!? When families are seeing 2% pay increases and costs all around them rise, this is really tough to continue to afford. AND this example is a family with 2 adults, a 7 year old and an infant. How about those with 2, 3, & 4 kids...and kids that are over 10 that need adult meals...

In summary...I'm frustrated for all of us. Why must Disney make this so complex? The deals all basically overlap. It seems they try to make it so confusing that you can't possibly figure out the best option for your family. And then the marketing people get in there and make it even more confusing.

Am I still going to Disney in January...YES. Will I continue to go...YES! They have me...I'm hooked, but I'm still frustrated. I wish you all luck, I know some of you have found hidden gems and great savings and I'm so happy for you! To the others who haven't, keep looking...as if it wasn't complex enough already, the availability will now change daily for the next 2 months ;)

Sincerely,

SouthFayetteFan
Self Proclaimed Disney Discount Guru
Yup, Disney is expensive and trips there can be a PITA to plan.

Discounts have been quite the subject here on the boards since the fall 2017 discounts were offered. For our fall trip I was only able to get a small discount on the POP portion of our split stay (FW Cabins the first 2 days). It's been amazing how there has literally been NO availability for most of November........although we are going during Jersey week o_O

Once 2018 packages became available I booked for August 2018 in anticipation of Toy Story Land. I started at the Poly @ 500/night which made be gulpo_O. After some time I switched to WL for $350/night....high but much more doable:-). This is what I feel I can afford (given I booked a year in advance). Now I'd love to get a discount when they come out in late April (for our timeframe)........I have to tell ya I'm not hopeful given what I'm seeing. So..............my plan now is to do a Bounce Back when we visit in November. Now I don't know what the offer will be but its worth a shot.........maybe I'll be able to get the Poly at a better price? Who knows.

Bottom line is we're going in August 2018...........I've booked what I feel I can handle without a discount. Is it more than previous years.......YUP! I try not to look back...........history is just that history! What I look to do is stretch the time required to pay the vacation off. I make payments monthly. Hey we aren't rich......but we are spoiled...:P....we love the deluxe resorts so I'm willing to pay more.

I've usually always been able to get a discount maybe that's going to change. However, I've never booked a WDW vacation "expecting" to get a discount. IF I get one.......gravy! IF I don't........well I can still cover it.

Doug :goofy:

I've usually always been able to get a discount maybe that's going to change. However, I've never booked a WDW vacation "expecting" to get a discount. IF I get one.......gravy! IF I don't........well I can still cover it.

I feel the same way, Doug! We want a junior suite at Coronado Springs in January, so we have had that reservation set for almost a year! Do I WANT to pay full price for it? HECK NO! But have I budgeted for it and planned on it? Yup... but man a discount sure would be nice!! NONE of what they are offering right now include our current reservation. Now if a discount comes along that made a 2 bedroom at Saratoga, Beach club, or Boardwalk equal or less to what we are paying now, don't think I wouldn't jump on that!! :rotfl2:

I feel the same way, Doug! We want a junior suite at Coronado Springs in January, so we have had that reservation set for almost a year! Do I WANT to pay full price for it? HECK NO! But have I budgeted for it and planned on it? Yup... but man a discount sure would be nice!! NONE of what they are offering right now include our current reservation. Now if a discount comes along that made a 2 bedroom at Saratoga, Beach club, or Boardwalk equal or less to what we are paying now, don't think I wouldn't jump on that!! :rotfl2:
Keep an eye open. Saratoga might be possible.

The only thing that comes up for Jan 12 to 14th is a preferred room at POP for $171. i am doing a split stay at AKL so the cheaper the better. when i extend the date to the 17th, ASM pops up for $117/night. Question: can i book those dates then change them later keeping the discount? ty!

The only thing that comes up for Jan 12 to 14th is a preferred room at POP for $171. i am doing a split stay at AKL so the cheaper the better. when i extend the date to the 17th, ASM pops up for $117/night. Question: can i book those dates then change them later keeping the discount? ty!

If there's availability, yes. But if there's not availability now there probably won't be later.

Thank you! I JUST booked AKL 30 minutes earlier with the "Family Gift of Magic" discount. As someone already said, i really wasn't clear what that discount was, but after multiple searches it seemed to be the best deal i could get. I wasn't too disappointed with the price, but booked with only the deposit just in case. Just checked the link you posted and saved an additional $350! it's just my son and I travelling- so definitely not too bad!

I am not familiar with Disney' discount scheme's historically, but from what I can see this time around is largely based around upselling. I do feel like I came out with a decent deal though.

Anyone have luck with the ticket offer on the Visa discount?

"Plus, when you upgrade to a room and ticket package that includes a minimum 5-day theme park tickets with the Park Hopper Option or Park Hopper Plus Option, you get one more day added to the ticket day, FREE.*"

I have 6 nights booked at AKL with 5 day base tickets. Upgrading to PH doesn't seem to be an option with 5 day tickets? It allows an upgrade at any other amount of days. The quotes difference between the 5 day base and 6 day park hopper is approx $320. Is that the normal difference? Anyone know why I can't upgrade? I wasn't planning on going to a park our first day since we don't get into Orlando until late afternoon, but would take advantage of a few hours of park time if we got a free day of tickets.

Anyone have luck with the ticket offer on the Visa discount?

"Plus, when you upgrade to a room and ticket package that includes a minimum 5-day theme park tickets with the Park Hopper Option or Park Hopper Plus Option, you get one more day added to the ticket day, FREE.*"

I have 6 nights booked at AKL with 5 day base tickets. Upgrading to PH doesn't seem to be an option with 5 day tickets? It allows an upgrade at any other amount of days. The quotes difference between the 5 day base and 6 day park hopper is approx $320. Is that the normal difference? Anyone know why I can't upgrade? I wasn't planning on going to a park our first day since we don't get into Orlando until late afternoon, but would take advantage of a few hours of park time if we got a free day of tickets.

Are you buying 4 tickets? If so, then yes, I think you'd be getting a 6 day hopper at the 5 day hopper price.

5 day Base (w/ tax) = $415.35
5 day hopper (w/ tax) = $495.23
6 day hopper (w/ tax) = $532.50

For 4 tickets, the difference between a 5 day hopper and a 5 day base is $319.52. The difference to go from a 5 day base to a 6 day hopper is actually $468.60 (for 4). So it appears they are offering you an upgrade to a 6 day hopper for the price of a 5 day hopper.

I agree that the latest discount release does seem rather fuzzy :scratchin. We were booked under the Play, Stay, and Dine promo for our week long trip this past March and got two rooms at Pop Century with no problem. Out of curiosity, I priced different weeks for Feb/early March 2018 and could not find availability at any of the values under the P/S/D promo. It seems like the goal is to push guests into booking higher priced room categories at the moderates and deluxes . I can see how that may still work for some guests, but definitely not for my family of seven that needs two rooms. The discounts are indeed becoming more and more skimpy with each passing year. We have family friends that just recently returned from a September free dining trip and their savings weren't that great considering the required park hopper ticket upgrade as well as changes to the seasonal room rates (September is no longer "value" season pricing for the value and moderate resorts and divided into both "fall" and "regular" season pricing tiers :headache:). I think the only decent discounts left are the bounceback and military discounts; which are discounts we unfortunately don't qualify for as we can't do Disney every year with five kids and we aren't a military family. I love Disney but I'm gonna really need some major pixie dust or hit the lottery for my crew to do another onsite- Disney trip within the next couple of years :laughing:.
Exactly! The discounts are less and less, reduced availability and the off season doesn't seem to exist any longer. Everyone is being affected by higher prices and less availability for the deals. I did stay off site this summer and it wasn't too bad; however, staying on site feels more like a Disney vacation.

Totally understand. As a travel agent, getting dozens of reservations switched to one of the many discounts is a nightmare. A lot of people just "expect" the reservation to be switched over. I've gone so far as to explain that Disney sets aside a few rooms to be booked at each new discount, and it's never a guarantee. I like to think I'm one of the "good" TA's that's in my office before 7am to get Disney reservations on the phone ASAP to get reservations switched over. And those that I can't get the first time sit on my desk and I check multiple times per day. I think the key to a good Disney TA is to find a TA that loves Disney - those are the ones that are willing to go above and beyond, including booking FP+, ADR and assisting with itinerary planning. Because that's what I do. I cringe every time I read a post about those who had a bad experience with a TA...
I love my TA...she does an amazing job and I do understand that nothing is a guarantee until Disney sends you the confirmation! She loves Disney and works tirelessly to be helpful. The deals these days are so limited. Apparently Disney is so popular, that they don't need to make that many offers anymore. Just my opinion.

After not getting a discount from Disney I went and booked a agency exclusive for January at the Poly (Garden View, Club Level) and got an awesome deal. I feel much better about the whole vacation now.
Same happened for us...could not get the PSD at POP...my TA got us their discounts...so we do have savings now.....did have to do a split stay so the dates lined up...still saved us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!