Disney extending 60 day FP to non disney resorts

You seem to be spreading a lot of rumors that aren’t supported by facts. Where did you come up with this?

Bob Iger - listen to the quarterly earnings calls. I am certain the CEO of the Walt Disney Company is a reliable source.

Next year, Walt Disney World will implement a fee-based FastPass+ program, comparable to what has already gone into effect at the Disneyland Resort. The days of free FastPasses is coming to an end and this move is intended to familiarize Good Neighbor Hotel guests with the system, prior to the fee implementation.

Also, DVC members will not be getting free FastPasses. Our offering will be comparable to that of Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders.
I’m not familiar with DL AP benefits. What are they? Just seems so unfair to take this perk from DVC owners.

Hmmmm... very interesting. Personally I Would like to see a more reliable source than what was quoted in op before getting up in arms.

Next year, Walt Disney World will implement a fee-based FastPass+ program, comparable to what has already gone into effect at the Disneyland Resort. The days of free FastPasses is coming to an end and this move is intended to familiarize Good Neighbor Hotel guests with the system, prior to the fee implementation.

Also, DVC members will not be getting free FastPasses. Our offering will be comparable to that of Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders.
Bob Iger - listen to the quarterly earnings calls. I am certain the CEO of the Walt Disney Company is a reliable source.

First off, this 60 day extended to other hotels rumor is just that, a rumor. It has no stated sources, dates, or names of hotels in this report, and the information cannot be found anywhere else. It could just as easily be not true as true.

Second, if Bob Iger actually said something along the lines of what you are claiming, it would be all over the sites like this. It's just too juicy for them to ignore, especially with the CEO of the company being the source of the information.

Third, as far as I know, that's not how Disneyland does things. Yes, you can pay for advance fastpass (called maxpass if I am correct) for $10 a day. That includes free photopass. Everyone else gets the paper fastpasses. This is based on more dated technology. Those staying on property get into the parks early, and therefore get the fastpasses first. Forgive me if the information in this point is not 100% correct. I am basing it off of what I have read, and have never actually been to Disneyland myself.

Fourth, if Disney was to charge for fastpasses for their own hotel guests, they would actually have a more restrictive policy than Universal. If you stay at a Universal Hotel, you get free fastpasses that are much more enticing than the ones at Disney. People staying at their Deluxe hotels get limitless fastpasses for the length of their stay. People not staying on property have to pay. That is something that I could see Disney doing, but I doubt it. They like to come across as being accessible to all, when in reality by the time most people are able to make fastpass selections, the best rides are already claimed.

First off, this 60 day extended to other hotels rumor is just that, a rumor. It has no stated sources, dates, or names of hotels in this report, and the information cannot be found anywhere else. It could just as easily be not true as true.

Second, if Bob Iger actually said something along the lines of what you are claiming, it would be all over the sites like this. It's just too juicy for them to ignore, especially with the CEO of the company being the source of the information.

Third, as far as I know, that's not how Disneyland does things. Yes, you can pay for advance fastpass (called maxpass if I am correct) for $10 a day. That includes free photopass. Everyone else gets the paper fastpasses. This is based on more dated technology. Those staying on property get into the parks early, and therefore get the fastpasses first. Forgive me if the information in this point is not 100% correct. I am basing it off of what I have read, and have never actually been to Disneyland myself.

Fourth, if Disney was to charge for fastpasses for their own hotel guests, they would actually have a more restrictive policy than Universal. If you stay at a Universal Hotel, you get free fastpasses that are much more enticing than the ones at Disney. People staying at their Deluxe hotels get limitless fastpasses for the length of their stay. People not staying on property have to pay. That is something that I could see Disney doing, but I doubt it. They like to come across as being accessible to all, when in reality by the time most people are able to make fastpass selections, the best rides are already claimed.

A paid FastPass+ system is coming to the Walt Disney World resort. You may not be pleased with the idea, but it is slated to happen next year. The Walt Disney Company has invested over $1 billion in its NextGen initiative and the fee-based system will drive return on its investment.

Also, for whatever it is worth, the value, moderate, and deluxe resort designations will soon be going away. Once Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort has Skyliner access, expect to pay $400-500 a night for convenient access to the park formally known as Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/01/15/will-disney-world-start-charging-for-fastpass.html

https://www.orlando-florida.net/will-disney-start-charging-for-fastpass/

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...ogram-to-skip-lines-but-probably-not-for-long

A paid FastPass+ system is coming to the Walt Disney World resort. You may not be pleased with the idea, but it is slated to happen next year. The Walt Disney Company has invested over $1 billion in its NextGen initiative and the fee-based system will drive return on its investment.

Also, for whatever it is worth, the value, moderate, and deluxe resort designations will soon be going away. Once Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort has Skyliner access, expect to pay $400-500 a night for convenient access to the park formally known as Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/01/15/will-disney-world-start-charging-for-fastpass.html

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...ogram-to-skip-lines-but-probably-not-for-long

I am not saying that it is not possible, especially over the long haul. However, all of the articles that you are citing are about the Maxpass in Disneyland, and an upcharge to help fight fastpass scalpers in China. They hardly point directly towards charging hotel guests for fastpasses. It would make perfect sense to have on site and "good neighbor" guests get free fastpasses, and charge others for them. That would drive traffic towards their own hotels. I do not think they even need to do this, though. They can just keep raising the prices of tickets instead.

While true that these are just two rumors, they are from reliable leakers WDW1974 and Marni1971-- the same people who leaked countless other rumors that have turned out to be true.

In the past year alone they leaked the Ratatouille ride, the Guardians coaster at Epcot, Mickey ride at MGM, DVC on Caribbean Beach property, the Star Wars boutique hotel and more... all months before D23 happened. They're not right 100% of the time but no doubt that have inside access. We'll just have to wait and see whether these come to fruition.

Last edited:

You quote 3 articles that speculate what WDW might do, all three pure speculation admittedly without any sourcing, and you use this as evidence of your speculation without sourcing.

I suspect that WDW will eventually monetize FPs. That's a decent speculation based on current trends. In fact, that's exactly why multiple articles are speculating about it.

But I wouldn't pass off speculation as fact. Not without sourcing, something you did not provide.

You quote 3 articles that speculate what WDW might do, all three pure speculation admittedly without any sourcing, and you use this as evidence of your speculation without sourcing.

I suspect that WDW will eventually monetize FPs. That's a decent speculation based on current trends. In fact, that's exactly why multiple articles are speculating about it.

But I wouldn't pass off speculation as fact. Not without sourcing, something you did not provide.

I always include fitting references, in APA 6th edition format, for peer-reviewed journal article submissions.

While true that these are just two rumors, they are from reliable leakers WDW1974 and Marni1971-- the same people who leaked countless other rumors that have turned out to be true.

In the past year alone they leaked the Ratatouille ride, the Guardians coaster at Epcot, Mickey ride at MGM, DVC on Caribbean Beach property, the Star Wars boutique hotel and more... all months before D23 happened. They're not right 100% of the time but no doubt that have inside access. We'll just have to wait and see whether these come to fruition.

@aoconnor, you follow the right sources :-)

The Walt Disney Company has invested over $1 billion in its NextGen initiative and the fee-based system will drive return on its investment.

They already have made a return on this investment. The majority of it was in the RFID technology that we willingly wear on our wrists in the form of magicbands. They found a way to track our every movement and purchase within the parks, all linked to our demographic information, and have us love it due to the tradeoff of skipping a couple of lines and not needing to carry a wallet. Information that they have gathered have allowed them to figure out when to add new events such as the Flower and Garden Festival, and has led to parks running a lot fuller year round than they were just 5 years ago.
When it comes to theme parks, Disney knows what they are doing. IF they find it benefits them to charge for fastpasses, then they will do so. It would be foolish for them to announce any moves ahead of time, though. Stating that they have already done so as fact is both lazy and fear mongering.

I always include fitting references, in APA 6th edition format, for peer-reviewed journal article submissions.
You were stating specific changes within a specific timeframe.

Either you have a source, you are a source, or you're a bus driver.

It's not unreasonable to ask you to put up or to dismiss your very specific predictions as hot air.

It's the Internet. "I know something for a fact and here are three articles speculating about it," isn't very credible.

I'm not even trying to be antagonistic. I'm just trying to evaluate the credibility of your comments.

I would be very interested to see some sourcing of what seems like a very reasonable rumor.

I wonder if this will put some downward pressure on the skyrocketing resale market.

It puts downward pressure on all DVC contracts, not just resale.

Over the course of DVC, Disney has changed what's been offered to onsite guests (and DVC members) many times. I don't see this affecting sales and resales much at all. I do see this affecting point rentals though.

DLR just went to all app fastpasses this summer and its amazing. No more paper and long lines for FPs. Every 90 mins or so you just go into the app and grab a new FP at either park. So much more efficient and sooo many more rides. Lines worked way better. Huge improvement!

DLR just went to all app fastpasses this summer and its amazing. No more paper and long lines for FPs. Every 90 mins or so you just go into the app and grab a new FP at either park. So much more efficient and sooo many more rides. Lines worked way better. Huge improvement!

In app fastpass is only available if you've purchased MaxPASS.

Your Mobile Device

When you purchase the Disney MaxPass feature, you’ll be able to make FASTPASS selections right from your phone using the Disneyland app. Please check the day’s FASTPASS availability and park details before purchasing.

How to Use
  1. Link your tickets to your Disney account.
  2. After entering Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park, tap “Get FASTPASS” to make your Disney FASTPASS selections (availability is limited and not guaranteed). You may make FASTPASS selections only for the tickets in your Disney account that have the Disney MaxPass feature.
  3. When it’s time to enjoy the attraction, head to the FASTPASS Return entrance and hold your mobile device up to the scanner so it can read your Disney FASTPASS redemption code.
Otherwise you have to use an in-park kiosk:

In-Park FASTPASS Distribution Points

You can utilize FASTPASS Distribution points near the entrances of select attractions at both parks. FASTPASS entitlements are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are not guaranteed.

How to Use
  1. Look for the Disney FASTPASS Distribution sign near the entrance of a participating attraction.
  2. Check the Return Time displayed on this sign.
    • If the Return Time works for you, insert your valid Disneyland Resort admission ticket or Annual Passport into the FASTPASS machine.
    • The machine will generate a FASTPASS receipt with your Return-Time window.
  3. When you arrive at the FASTPASS Return entrance, make sure to scan the same Disneyland Resort admission ticket or Annual Passport you used to obtain the FASTPASS entitlement.
  4. Enjoy the attraction with a minimal wait.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/fastpass/

Hmmm. I have a premier pass for both coasts. Is that how I got it? I didn’t check, I just used it but I didn’t pay anything.

In app fastpass is only available if you've purchased MaxPASS.

Your Mobile Device

When you purchase the Disney MaxPass feature, you’ll be able to make FASTPASS selections right from your phone using the Disneyland app. Please check the day’s FASTPASS availability and park details before purchasing.

How to Use
  1. Link your tickets to your Disney account.
  2. After entering Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park, tap “Get FASTPASS” to make your Disney FASTPASS selections (availability is limited and not guaranteed). You may make FASTPASS selections only for the tickets in your Disney account that have the Disney MaxPass feature.
  3. When it’s time to enjoy the attraction, head to the FASTPASS Return entrance and hold your mobile device up to the scanner so it can read your Disney FASTPASS redemption code.
Otherwise you have to use an in-park kiosk:

In-Park FASTPASS Distribution Points

You can utilize FASTPASS Distribution points near the entrances of select attractions at both parks. FASTPASS entitlements are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are not guaranteed.

How to Use
  1. Look for the Disney FASTPASS Distribution sign near the entrance of a participating attraction.
  2. Check the Return Time displayed on this sign.
    • If the Return Time works for you, insert your valid Disneyland Resort admission ticket or Annual Passport into the FASTPASS machine.
    • The machine will generate a FASTPASS receipt with your Return-Time window.
  3. When you arrive at the FASTPASS Return entrance, make sure to scan the same Disneyland Resort admission ticket or Annual Passport you used to obtain the FASTPASS entitlement.
  4. Enjoy the attraction with a minimal wait.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/fastpass/

The more I thought about this over the past couple of days, the more sense it has made to me from Disney's standpoint. It does nothing to help me personally, but at least I think I understand why they are doing it. The more they expand fastpass+, the more guaranteed reservations they get. You cannot get into the best restaurants without making reservations weeks or months in advance, and Disney World is setting themselves up to be the theme park version of that. If people know with certainty that they will be able to ride on the new Millennium Falcon ride, then they will happily pay $100 to get in the park for the day. How does Disney set up this guarantee? By handing out at many fastpasses as possible. DVC and on property guests will still get theirs, but Disney will open up the amount of fastpasses being offered to more offsite hotels. This gives them assured customers, so I get why they are doing it for them. It will not be as pleasant for us, though. Want to ride Test Track and Soarin? Either book them on separate days, or wait 3 hours in line for one of them, due to so many fastpass people getting on before you.
They can then make people who are staying on property still be special by either opening on more parks even earlier for EMH, or by handing out extra fastpasses to them, whichever they find to be more cost-effective.
I hope this is not the case, but it is the only scenario that makes sense in my mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter