Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone bought multiple Disney GCs on eBay (say, a $200 GC and the seller is charging $175) and paid for a trip that way? I am wondering if I can also make ebates cash off of the GC purchases, too.

Just want to tell my experience with this. First, I’ve bought lots of GC on eBay and had great luck, both from sellers like svm and from individual sellers. I got a little over confident though and had a very bad experience. I purchased a $500 Walmart card from a seller (with good feedback)for $460. Well they updated my order with tracking info and it showed when I tracked it that it was delivered to an address in my town, though it didn’t show the street address- just the city. This was through UPS. I never got it. I called UPS and got a really nice lady who went against policy and told me where it was delivered to. It went to the local Fox’s Pizza. Weird. So I called them and talked to the manager and he said yes we did receive a GC and had no idea where it came from or why and that he’d hold for me. I went there and it ended up being an amazon card for $10. What?!? So I filed a complaint through eBay. I had pictures of the front of the package showing the exact tracking number the seller gave me and showing it was addressed to Fox’s and not me- the buyer on record, as well as a pic of the amazon card inside. I though for sure I’d get my money back, but nope! They said the tracking info showed delivery to a Uniontown address and that’s all the proof they needed. I then filed a dispute through capital one thinking I could count on them, but no again! They said the same thing- even with the pictures I attached. So I say all that just to say this- be careful. 9 times out of 10 you’ll be fine, but I was out $460. All of the saving I did was wiped out in one transaction.

Just want to tell my experience with this. First, I’ve bought lots of GC on eBay and had great luck, both from sellers like svm and from individual sellers. I got a little over confident though and had a very bad experience. I purchased a $500 Walmart card from a seller (with good feedback)for $460. Well they updated my order with tracking info and it showed when I tracked it that it was delivered to an address in my town, though it didn’t show the street address- just the city. This was through UPS. I never got it. I called UPS and got a really nice lady who went against policy and told me where it was delivered to. It went to the local Fox’s Pizza. Weird. So I called them and talked to the manager and he said yes we did receive a GC and had no idea where it came from or why and that he’d hold for me. I went there and it ended up being an amazon card for $10. What?!? So I filed a complaint through eBay. I had pictures of the front of the package showing the exact tracking number the seller gave me and showing it was addressed to Fox’s and not me- the buyer on record, as well as a pic of the amazon card inside. I though for sure I’d get my money back, but nope! They said the tracking info showed delivery to a Uniontown address and that’s all the proof they needed. I then filed a dispute through capital one thinking I could count on them, but no again! They said the same thing- even with the pictures I attached. So I say all that just to say this- be careful. 9 times out of 10 you’ll be fine, but I was out $460. All of the saving I did was wiped out in one transaction.
That is TERRIBLE. I'm in disbelief that ebay would side w/ the seller! UGH I am so so so so sorry. You're right, that is a one in a million awful thing to have happen, but so sorry it happened to you. I would be so furious.

Today I purchased 4 $100 Disney gift cards from Target. When I combined them on disneygiftcard, 1 card said "Oops..." with an error message. I have tried a few times with the same message. Should I call Target or go back to the store?

ETA: I tried again this morning and it worked! Thanks for the tip, Pluto ;-)

Last edited:

Today I purchased 4 $100 Disney gift cards from Target. When I combined them on disneygiftcard, 1 card said "Oops..." with an error message. I have tried a few times with the same message. Should I call Target or go back to the store?

Thanks for any advice you may have!
Just try again tomorrow. If you're worried it doesn't have a balance on it call the number on the back of the card, it will give you the current balance.

That's weird. I thought that the seller had to send to your verified address to be protected. Obviously the Fox's Pizza is not your verified address. Are you sure that someone at the Pizza place didn't swap things out?

That is TERRIBLE. I'm in disbelief that ebay would side w/ the seller! UGH I am so so so so sorry. You're right, that is a one in a million awful thing to have happen, but so sorry it happened to you. I would be so furious.

I have had 3 bad apples over the past 17 years on eBay as a buyer. All three times eBay refunded my money. Last two were in 2016 when I bought a Disney Gift card and they sent me the hang tag top half minus the gift card. Other was I bought a gift certificate for an airline and it was good long enough for me to buy a ticket but then to go to airline fraud department as the certificate was bought with a stolen credit card. I would be furious too. The seller has to prove they send you the item purchased which they could not have done, that was the case in both mine and thus my money was returned. Sorry for your loss!

That's weird. I thought that the seller had to send to your verified address to be protected. Obviously the Fox's Pizza is not your verified address. Are you sure that someone at the Pizza place didn't swap things out?

I can’t be sure they didn’t swap it out. But the bottom line is that I had proof that the tracking info they gave me was from something sent to a different address and that should’ve been enough. The tracking number you see below in this picture was the tracking number they gave me in all of the emails they sent to me about my purchase. I gave this pic to both eBay and capital one. I couldn’t believe it. I thought for sure I would win the case.

Sorry I had trouble figuring out how to load pictures...

Attachments

• 074A7F47-D9E5-45A3-9113-B62C9D21E339.png
    074A7F47-D9E5-45A3-9113-B62C9D21E339.png
    468.3 KB · Views: 38
I can’t be sure they didn’t swap it out. But the bottom line is that I had proof that the tracking info they gave me was from something sent to a different address and that should’ve been enough. The tracking number you see below in this picture was the tracking number they gave me in all of the emails they sent to me about my purchase. I gave this pic to both eBay and capital one. I couldn’t believe it. I thought for sure I would win the case.
Did you try PayPal?

To be eligible for PayPal’s Seller Protection, you must meet all of the following requirements .

• The primary address for your PayPal account must be in the United States.
  • The item must be a physical, tangible good that can be shipped.
  • You must ship the item to the shipping address on the transaction details page in your PayPal account for the transaction. If you originally ship the item to the recipient's shipping address on the transaction details page but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.
  • You must respond to PayPal's requests for documentation and other information in a timely manner as requested in our email correspondence with you or in our correspondence with you through the Resolution Center. If you do not respond to PayPal’s request for documentation and other information in the time requested, you may not be eligible for Seller Protection.
  • If the sale involves pre-ordered or made-to-order goods, you must ship within the timeframe you specified in the listing. Otherwise, it is recommended that you ship all items within 7 days after receipt of payment.

Check your side of the PayPal transaction? What address is in the "shipped to" section? If you go to your settings and click on "manage addresses" does the Fox's address show somehow?

Sorry I had trouble figuring out how to load pictures...

Interesting, Amazon shipped that not a person. I've always had PayPal side with the buyer, even as a seller I've had people try to scam me on eBay and PayPal sided with them with no proof. I am surprised they turned you down. I would try again.

Edit: I wonder if Amazon could provide you with the order information or anything. The Amazon order number should be encoded on that label.

It was puzzling. I do remember contacting PayPal but if I remember correctly I think I was told that the PayPal protection policy didn’t cover gift cards and they told me to call eBay. It became a very frustrating ordeal and no one at eBay seemed to care. I thought for sure my credit card company would help me but their decision was that they agreed with ebays. Oh well lesson learned and now I only purchase gift cards on eBay from sellers like SVM and gift card mall.

ETA: I did just look it up and PayPal buyer protection does not cover gift cards.

Did you try PayPal?

Check your side of the PayPal transaction? What address is in the "shipped to" section? If you go to your settings and click on "manage addresses" does the Fox's address show somehow?

In PayPal it shows shipped to my address.

It was puzzling. I do remember contacting PayPal but if I remember correctly I think I was told that the PayPal protection policy didn’t cover gift cards and they told me to call eBay. It became a very frustrating ordeal and no one at eBay seemed to care. I thought for sure my credit card company would help me but their decision was that they agreed with ebays. Oh well lesson learned and now I only purchase gift cards on eBay from sellers like SVM and gift card mall.

ETA: I did just look it up and PayPal buyer protection does not cover gift cards.

I don't think you'll get to far with your credit card as when using PayPal you agree not to issue a charge back ect. I would if you could go the route of you were given the wrong store card rather than disputing the value of the card and you want to start the process of a return.

Almost sounds like they sold the card then used a possible stolen CC# to order the card you received from Amazon as not to expose their address/identity? Will PayPal provide you the sellers address so you can file with their local police department for mail fraud?

Almost sounds like they sold the card then used a possible stolen CC# to order the card you received from Amazon as not to expose their address/identity? Will PayPal provide you the sellers address so you can file with their local police department for mail fraud?

I hadn’t considered that possibility but you’re probably right. That makes sense. PayPal would not give me any seller info.

I hadn’t considered that possibility but you’re probably right. That makes sense. PayPal would not give me any seller info.

Sorry to hear that. I have stopped accepting PayPal for my business since they have always sided with the buyer no questions asked even when I could clearly prove they were scamming me. Wasn't eBay pushing their gift card sales? Seems like this could mean bad news to their ability to compete with nothing backing buyers.

As for the scam, I suppose the seller figured you would not be able to get the address from UPS and just sent it to someone in your town so when PayPal checked they would see that the item was delivered in City/State matching you and move on. (I have a background in Cyber Security so this always peaks my interest...)

As for the scam, I suppose the seller figured you would not be able to get the address from UPS and just sent it to someone in your town so when PayPal checked they would see that the item was delivered in City/State matching you and move on. (I have a background in Cyber Security so this always peaks my interest...)

Yes I do believe they didn’t think UPS would give me the address. The lady at UPS made it clear that she wasn’t supposed to, but she was familiar with me because I frequently pick up packages at that location.

As a buyer and seller on ebay for over 15 years, I would stay away from buying gift cards on ebay except for ones from PPDG and major sellers like SVM. And even then you can still have problems. (PPDG was hacked 2 summers ago and people had to fight to get their money back, and SVM has sometimes posted as cash advances on credit cards.) But the major risk is that the person who sold you the gift card used a stolen card to purchase it and then you might end up fighting to get your money back. Even transferring it to another card won't always immunize you as the company can easily cancel that card or even come after you.

I had this a number of years ago with Virgin Mobile (prepaid phone), I bought a top up card on ebay and used it to add money to my phone. It turned out that the seller used a stolen credit card and virgin mobile shut my phone down, I ended up losing my original balance of $80 plus I even lost my phone number.

This is why I won't buy gift cards unless they are from major retailers. All it takes is 1 bad one and all your savings will be wiped out at once.

It is no different from a friend of mine who bought remanufactured ink cartridges for his printer until he got one bad one which leaked upon opening. It ruined his printer and his clothing and by the time he was finished, the money he saved over the years by buying remanufactured was wiped out all at once.

As a buyer and seller on ebay for over 15 years, I would stay away from buying gift cards on ebay except for ones from PPDG and major sellers like SVM. And even then you can still have problems. (PPDG was hacked 2 summers ago and people had to fight to get their money back, and SVM has sometimes posted as cash advances on credit cards.) But the major risk is that the person who sold you the gift card used a stolen card to purchase it and then you might end up fighting to get your money back. Even transferring it to another card won't always immunize you as the company can easily cancel that card or even come after you.

I had this a number of years ago with Virgin Mobile (prepaid phone), I bought a top up card on ebay and used it to add money to my phone. It turned out that the seller used a stolen credit card and virgin mobile shut my phone down, I ended up losing my original balance of $80 plus I even lost my phone number.

This is why I won't buy gift cards unless they are from major retailers. All it takes is 1 bad one and all your savings will be wiped out at once.

It is no different from a friend of mine who bought remanufactured ink cartridges for his printer until he got one bad one which leaked upon opening. It ruined his printer and his clothing and by the time he was finished, the money he saved over the years by buying remanufactured was wiped out all at once.
Yikes. I buy straight talk refill cards on eBay. I think I’m done doing that! Thanks for the warning.

In PayPal it shows shipped to my address.
I think you have a possible case with PayPal then because that same address will show up on both sides of the transaction. I think that by sending the Amazon card to Fox's Pizza they were trying to get you to claim that the item was not received and the bar is lower to prove that it was delivered to you (city and state only). But you *did* receive it because you knew someone at UPS who helped you.

You have the wrong item delivered to the wrong address with the right confirmation number.

https://www.paypal.com/ga/webapps/mpp/ua/sellerprotection-apac-full

I just noticed that that card was drop shipped from Amazon (although someone did mention it upthread). Drop shipping is perfectly OK on eBay but in this case it's really all part of the scam. Now that I see that, there are NO $460 Walmart gift cards on Amazon so there is no way that Amazon would have drop shipped it to you from their fulfillment center and put in a $10 Amazon gift card by mistake. That also lets the pizza folks off the hook. I wonder if you can ask Amazon for some help on this. They might be able to use the tracking number to find the person who sent it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter