Disney in 1-2 days...Can it be done? Help!

missnita

Earning My Ears
My friend & her family travel to Florida every April & this year they invited us along, free room & board at their rented house in Kissimmee - along with terrific seat sales, we couldn't pass it up!

Our main reason for going is to take our boys, 7 & 9, on their first flight & vacation, but of course we need to do Disney! Don't hate us, but we're not a traditional Disney family...yes, we've seen the classics & some of the newer films, but it's just not something we've been super into. However, we are a big Star Wars family & while we intend to come back in a few years for the new themed land, we're excited about Star Tours & just experiencing Disney in general.

We're thinking of getting the 2-day park hopper ticket & doing Magic Kingdom & Epcot on day 1 & Hollywood Studios & Animal Kingdom on day 2.

I'm feeling REALLY overwhelmed with all of the available info...& even just what to DO there. We're total newbies to the Disney scene & know nothing when it comes to planning a theme park vacation! I know lines for rides are insanely long & my kids aren't really ride people...they like interactive stuff, animals, science, but would def. get a HUGE kick out of seeing Disney characters.

Any suggestions on EVERYTHING. How to navigate the parks to get the most out of them, where to eat, is 2 days even feasible? Just any useful information based on the info I've given I'd be so appreciate of!

While you can fit a lot into 2 full days at the parks you gotta be careful not to overwhelm yourself to the point where on the 2nd day you start to feel exhausted and your trip to the parks isn't going to be enjoyable. Since it sounds like you have trip planned back in a few years you may want to consider doing a 2 day-2 park ticket without the park hopper. That way you have more actual park time to spend riding the rides, seeing the shows, and meeting the characters than worrying about having to travel to another park and losing out on valuable park time. What I would do is pick out the 2 parks you want to see the most and keep in mind most of Hollywood Studios is under construction right now but in a few years all the new lands will be open making it really worth going to. As far as dining goes with very limited time I doubt you would want to waste valuable time on any sit-down dining as those take a minimum of 1 hour to complete.

With two days I would drop Epcot and Animal Kingdom entirely. Stay with one-park tickets and do MK one day and Hollywood Studios (because of your interest in Star Wars) the other. You won’t get to everything in either park in just a day anyway.

I'd probably agree with only doing 2 parks and even then you won't be able to do it all at a park such as MK in one day. Pick the things that most interest everyone and make those top priority...anything else just see as a bonus. For my family it would be MK and AK especially if rides aren't top of the list (HS if you're wanting Star Wars and a few great rides). Trying to do all 4 parks without being WDW veterans I think would be overwhelming and cause a lot of wasted time.

You cannot do Disney in 2 days. Heck, we stay a week and can't fit everything in. Attempting to see everything in 2 days is a fruitless endeavor that will just lead to rushing, tempers, disappointment and no fun. Understand that, decide what you want to do that can fit in your 2 days and go from there. You can absolutely have an amazing time, but you cannot do it all in 2 days.

I agree with the others, I would first drop the hoppers. The Magic Kingdom is a necessity and can easily fill more than 1 day itself. Since you want to see Star Wars, spend the 2nd day at HS. Learn about the 2 parks, particularly about FP+ and a touring strategy so that you don't have to wait in ridiculous lines.

If you've never been to WDW, no, there's absolutely no way you can do it all in 2 days. You won't even begin to touch the tip of the iceburg. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't go. Go for it!!! If you love Star Wars, be sure to spend a lot of time in Hollywood Studios. I agree with mesaboy2. Hit MK and HS and don't worry about the other two parks for now. Read up on the FP+ system, so you can maximize your time there. After that, just take it all in and enjoy.

If the boys like rides, I'd do one full day in MK. Then TRY to split EP and HS. I'd skip AK. If you know you're going back....
Reasoning: You can rope drop Soarin and Test Track in EP, then bug out, and be very close to Hollywood. Fastpasses in Hollywood, and then kind of relax through the Star Wars stuff. Maybe even snag a spot in Jedi Training if the kids are interested. Keeping it simple tho, might just be doing MK and HS. Soarin' is flipping awesome though, and boys that age generally LOVE test track.

Ok - maybe just HS, and not Epcot. If you are SW fans, RD HS, if the kids wanna do the training. It's an absolute blast. For SW and thrill ride fans, Hollywood is a blast. Stay for Fantasmic, and call it a day. Maybe check for Soarin or TEst track fastpasses throughout the day, and see if that can work out. You can just hop on the boat. If they like thrill rides, I'd assume they'll wanna rock Star Tours and TOT twice. Toy Story, while not a thrill ride is a blast as well.

Tough choice, but if you know you'll be back, don't wear yourselves out and become miserable. You'll have to choose wisely, but it's not like a zillion ppl haven't already done the same thing. Choose what you want to do in the limited time you have, and remember, don't wear yourselves out.

Hoppers are a good idea just in case if you choose a park, and it's crazy crowded there, but you see that a diff park is a ghost-town. If the crowd levels are supposed to be very low, not sure I'd pay for hoppers because of the time it takes to travel to different parks. There's PLENTY to do in each park. Maybe look at it like you're saving the surprise for the parks you don't get to for your next trip?

With children, I'm assuming you'll be there for Spring Break. That will increase crowds and make it even more difficult to accomplish what you would want to do in four parks. As SW fans, DHS is a given. While the land is not open, I have still found plenty to experience. And, yes, check out the SW Jedi Training online. My boys LOVED it when they were that age.

For hoppers, if you decide that you do want to do another park, you can always buy a one-park ticket and then upgrade vs. making the investment up front and not using it. (buy your tickets through Disney, not a discounter). Although, for a first trip, I think you have seen that most people think it will make for a stressful and disappointing experience.

Thanks for the advice thus far!

Some of what I'm reading doesn't make sense to me, lol, as we're not a Disney family really & I haven't done enough research to know what certain things are, but sounds like it's a given to drop Epcot & definitely visit MK. Then figure out if we want to do HS or AK. HS might be best saved for the next trip when we'll come to visit the Star Wars land, so we're not experiencing it twice, & my boys do indeed LOVE animals....but my husband is a big Star Wars geek, so that's something to discuss.

We'll be there from April 18th to the 26th, so not during my kids spring break, but unsure if that's spring break in the US....I'm in Canada.

Are fast passes a must for rides? How do they work? Are there many rides in MK? Also...is AK more like a safari type experience?

Let me put it this way. If one of my friends suggested what you’re suggesting, I would outright tell them that plan is setting themselves up to not return to Disney. While it’s entirely possible to hit 4 parks in 2 days, I think you’ll be hard pressed to find someone here that will actually reccomend it. If it were me, I’d agree with those that say 2 days, 2 parks. I’d say 1 day in the magic kingdom and with boys that age- 1 day in animal kingdom. But, I do think spending time to see what’s at each of the 4 parks and what you’d realistically want to experience and skip would be worth your time!

I think you can do all four parks in two days but it will be a challenge. You didn't specify when in April you are going but if it is Easter or spring school break weeks, it will be very crowded. Decide on your must see attractions for each park and plan your FP+ carefully. Make sure to rope drop both days and plan to stay until park close. With two young boys, you can skip AK this time to spend more time in MK. For the second day, start at HS to do the Star Wars stuff and then head to Epcot early afternoon. That will give you time there to walk around World Showcase and do some of the rides in FW before finishing the night with Illuminations. Quick service eating means more time doing things. Just remember that this trip is to get a taste of the parks, stay flexible, sit and get a cold drink when needed, and you'll be fine.

***Edited to add - since your later post says your kids love animals, you can do AK instead of HS but you might want to avid Pandora this trip due to the crowds at this brand new section of AK. We love Epcot but that might not be your cup of tea. Look on Youtube and watch the videos of the attractions at each of the four parks. That might help you decide what is important for your family this trip.

Thanks for the advice thus far!

Some of what I'm reading doesn't make sense to me, lol, as we're not a Disney family really & I haven't done enough research to know what certain things are, but sounds like it's a given to drop Epcot & definitely visit MK. Then figure out if we want to do HS or AK. HS might be best saved for the next trip when we'll come to visit the Star Wars land, so we're not experiencing it twice, & my boys do indeed LOVE animals....but my husband is a big Star Wars geek, so that's something to discuss.

We'll be there from April 18th to the 26th, so not during my kids spring break, but unsure if that's spring break in the US....I'm in Canada.

Are fast passes a must for rides? How do they work? Are there many rides in MK? Also...is AK more like a safari type experience?

It overlaps part of the spring break for schools in the northeast. CT/MA/VT schools I believe are out the week of the 16th. NH schools are the following week but they are outliers with that week and might be the only state that has that week off. If you choose your days judiciously (don't go on Friday/Sat/Sun) you'll have lower crowds but still crowds. I would expect the later days in the trip to be less crowded than the earlier days (assuming there are no other groups down there)

MK has a fair amount of rides. AK has a safari experience/nature trails and a couple coaster type rides (along with the Avatar themed pandora land). You might want to check out some touring guides from a local library or check out some disney themed info sites wdwinfo and allears are usually good. Going to WDW without a plan or strategy can be a recipe for disaster...

Yes, definitely sounds like 2 parks in 2 days. Definitely MK, but now deciding between AK & HS.

I don't know what rope drop means?

and I assume that FP+ is Fast Pass +? I have heard of fast pass, but not entirely sure what it is.

See...told you I was a newbie to all of this!

Yes, definitely sounds like 2 parks in 2 days. Definitely MK, but now deciding between AK & HS.

and I assume that FP+ is Fast Pass +? I have heard of fast pass, but not entirely sure what it is.

See...told you I was a newbie to all of this!

Scan lightly the first 10 posts or so of the FP FAQ, it might help.

First, Disney is huge. If you wanted to experience each attraction only once, you would need multiple days per each park. Our very first trip we spent two weeks, and we weren't able to fit everything in we wanted to see. This was with us touring open to close, no afternoon breaks, and crowds were almost nonexistent, so our wait times were minimal. So, that kind of gives you an idea of how much there is to do.

Definitely, pick only one or two parks and stick to those. Switching parks wastes too much time, especially when you won't even begin to see half of what there is to see in a full day.

Based on your posts, AK seems like it would be a good fit. There is a Safari type ride where you ride in an open air truck through a savanna area to see African animals. Then, there are zoo like areas with animal enclosures. There is also a small petting zoo. There is in informative bird show. On top of that, there is a Dinosaur themed area with a playground, two kiddy Dinosaur rides, one more intense indoor dark dinosaur ride, and a dinosaur themed carnival area.

However, based on you saying the kids like hands on interactive things, the biggest draw at this park for your kids may be the Wildernesses Explorers game. Basically, there are about 30 kiosks set up around the park. Each kiosk has a different educational activity you can do to earn a Wilderness Explorer's badge, like in the movie UP. Some of the activities are relatively simple and quick, some are more complex and time consuming. You do not have to do all 30, but can pick and choose. This was a huge hit with the kids in our family, and one of their favorite parts of the trip.

There are other attractions at AK as well, but these the ones listed above will probably appeal to your kids ages and interests the most.

As far as a second day, take a look at what the other parks offer. Get a guide book from the library or visit Allears to get a better idea of which park might appeal to your family the most.

MK is the park with the castle. It is what most people think of when they think of Disney. The attractions are themed around different Disney movies such as Pirates of the Caribbean, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White, Monsters Inc., or Toy Story to name a few. The park consists of a mix of rides, shows, and parades.

The rides are not like anything you will have experienced at a carnival or at most other amusement parks. There are only 4 coasters total (1 kiddy, 2 mid range, and only 1 intense more stereotypical coaster, none go upside down, all except the last are pretty tame) There is one log flume ride that has a large drop at the end, and there are tea cups that spin, and one ride that spins high off the round. That is the extent of the MK thrill rides. Everything else, moves slowly along a fixed track or a waterway, and you pretty much just look at the sets as you pass them by. The point being, don't discount Disney rides because your kids might not be big fans of scary carnival or amusement park rides. Those are usually much more intense than Disney. For the most part, Disney wants grandma, mom, dad, and the baby, to all be able to ride together.

Also, at MK there are two different interactive scavenger hunt type games you can sign up to play for free, a pirate themed one and another called Sorcerer's of the MK. These may appeal to your kids as the player gets to interact with different game elements hidden in the parks.

Epcot is basically divided into two parts, 1) science and technology and 2) world cultures. The science side of the park has a small aquarium, many interactive exhibits, a space rocket launch simulator, and a number of other attractions based on educational themes. This was another huge hit with the kids for us due to all the hands on stuff in this park.

The world cultures section of the park was not as big of a hit, but ok. It is mainly made up shopping and restaurant areas, but there are a few interesting shows and demonstrations that take place in this area as well (we enjoy the Chinese acrobats). There are a couple of boat rides that were a big hit and also fun hands on kids stations for getting your passport stamped or a Duffy travel bear colored (not sure if they still do the bear). Casts members in these areas are also happy to interact with kids and teach them simple words or phrases in their language. This area can be fun if the child is interested in learning about another country, and you really take the time to explore.

HS is kind of hard to explain. It used to be a working production studio and was themed around the idea of movie making, what goes into making movies, the behind the scenes type stuff, that sort of thing, but most of that theming has been lost over the years. Now, it is a mishmash of Star Wars, Toy Story, a number of misc unrelated shows, and two thrill rides. If you will be coming back once the new improved Star Wars section opens, I'd save this park for then. If your husband wants to get his Star Wars fix in, maybe sign up to do the Void game in Disney Springs on a non park day. It is a Star Wars themed virtual reality game, and you wouldn't need a park ticket to play it.

Once you've decided on a park, choose a few attractions for a Must Do list. You won't be able to see all of any park in 1 day, so plan on seeing a few favorites, then go from there if you have extra time.

How much you will get through will greatly depend on your family's touring style, how fast you move, the crowd level, how many breaks you take, how much shopping, how many snacks and meals, how many character autographs. Some people only fit in 5 or 6 attractions in a day. On the other extreme, some people are able to do 20+ attractions in a day. I'd say somewhere around the 10 to 15 attractions a day range is more realistic for the average family, but even that is based on crowds, planning skills, and number of hours spent in the park.

I'm going to recommend the strolling method. Because you have young children (we have a six year old), rushing through any of the parks on a to-the-minute itinerary may lead to a spectacular meltdown. We don't even try to see every part of every park in a day, just so we are not rushed and avoid the overly-tired child. We take our time and stroll, using Fastpass+ strategically.

Also, even though you're a Star Wars family, you don't really know what's going to excite children the most at WDW. For example, what if your children decide that an hour of exploring Tom Sawyer's island is a must-do, or riding the carousel three times in a row is the best thing ever? Will you force them along to another part of MK or hopping to another park for time's sake, or soak up the atmosphere of your children's excitement where you're at? Feeling rushed can be the worst thing at WDW...

So, you might find that spending the first day strolling MK would be a good idea (it is the foundation of WDW, after all), followed by Hollywood Studios the second day. However, HS is not quite a full day park under the best of circumstances with all of the construction, so you might consider doing Star Wars and a few other items until noon, taking a midday break to let your children's brains calm down, and then head back to MK around 4 or 5pm. If your children loved MK the first day, it may be more exciting to return and finish exploring other areas of that park rather than jumping into Epcot.

I would NOT recommend park hopping Animal Kingdom in addition to Mk & HS on a two-day trip. It always feels like there is a lot of walking to get from one area of the park to the next, and children will get tired.

With food, since time is a factor for you, probably best to avoid sit-down restaurants in the parks. Quick service options where you get your food and then find a nice bench to sit at will be more time saving (and less expensive).

Important to note that the reason so many of us go back year to year is that we're always finding new things to appreciate about WDW. So, trying to "see it all" in two days - not really possible! Don't even try!

I have done Disney in 2 days, but our family skipped Animal Kingdom (we had been before) for that particular trip. My theory is I would rather go a short time than not at all. We never skip Epcot because our favorite restaurant is there plus it’s mom’s favorite park. We are about to go for a week and it’s still overwhelming so my best advice is not to set expectations too high...plan for a few things that you absolutely want to get done and beyond that don’t put too much pressure on an itinerary because you could literally go for 2 weeks and still not see everything. The fast passes will at least guarantee a few rides with shorter waits. We typically do quick service meals for short trips because the table service eats up a lot of time and I don’t like feeling tied to run back to a certain place when we are trying to get a lot done in a short time. There are plenty of quick service places with good food to eat or you can bring your own food into the parks. Have fun!

I think I'd stick with the park hoppers, keep your options open. You might also have your boys watch some YouTube videos of the parks & attractions to get an idea of what looks interesting to them.

How do they work?

Basically, FP are passes you can get that allow you to wait in a shorter line, usually a 15 to 30 minute wait verses a much longer standby wait.

Every guest gets 3 a day for free. They are not available for purchase. There are ways to get more, but for the most part plan on having only 3. The FP need to be booked online similar to making a dining reservation. You will be able to do this 30 days from the day you plan to go to the park. You will need to choose a ride, a day, and an hour time slot that you want to use the FP line for. Then you must return during that hour to wait in the shorter fast pass line. This is a very overly simplified explanation. I definitely recommend reading up about FP in detail. It is a complicated thing that many people have mixed feelings about.

Are fast passes a must for rides?

How do you feel about standing in line?

If the ride has a wait of 20 minutes, a FP probably isn't going to shorten that drastically. If a ride has a wait of 45 to 90 minutes or more, you'll definitely want a FP, but again, you'll still wait some.

With only one day, you'll want to figure out which attractions that you want to do are going to have the longest lines, and use your 3 FP for those.

Are there many rides in MK?

There are over 30 attractions in MK. This count includes rides and theater shows, but does not include open air stage shows, parades, dessert parties, fireworks, or other misc entertainment or special events. This count also does not include restaurants or character meet and greets.

You can easily spend 3 days in MK without repeating much of anything.

Rope drop refers to getting to a park before it officially opens in an effort to be at the front of the crowd to give you an advantage over others in getting to a popular ride first thing.

The name comes from the ropes that cast members put up to hold back the crowds that come early. In the past, these ropes would be lowered, "dropped", and a mad free for all would ensue heading in the direction of the most popular ride at the time. They don't really "drop" the rope anymore (too many trampled kids). They usually walk the rope and the crowd back, but the name has stuck.

For MK, it's a little more complex. MK currently opens 1 hour before official opening time. This means if the park is scheduled to open at 9:00. It actually opens at 8:00. The catch is that only the front part of the park, the Main Street Area and Hub area are open. Ropes are placed at the entrances to each land within MK where the attractions are. They do this so people have time to get lockers, rent strollers, go to the bathroom, get breakfast, and shop a little before the rides opens. So to "rope drop" MK, you really need to be outside the turnstiles to enter at about 7:00 to 7:30 to be in the front of the crowd. This gives you time to take care of any rentals, take pics in front of the castle, get a snack, and then stake out a spot at the front of the rope leading to the land you want to go to first. The cast members will hold you there until around 8:45 to 9:00, and then will take the rope down completely or walk the crowd back depending on which land and the current crowd level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter