Disney Magic: May, 2014 EBTA, Port Canaveral to Barcelona

The next day we were in Malaga, Spain....
2v8qw3k.jpg

There was a huge yacht sitting near our ship....
i1ldtz.jpg

We boarded a complimentary shuttle that dropped us off near the Plaza de la Marina. Super nice bus....
dyqibo.jpg

We took a right, and walked toward City Hall. We walked behind City Hall, and there is an elevator that takes you directly up to the Alcazaba. A guy met us as soon as we entered the tunnel to the elevator. And we gave him our money, and he put it into a machine, and gave us our tickets. When we exited the elevator, I took this picture....
2s0ers5.jpg

The Alcazaba was a beautiful place to explore....
2uoqsrb.jpg

2ywu3nm.jpg

City Hall is right below us, to the left. And the Disney Magic is off in the distance.....
2lt4lms.jpg

This view was looking toward the city. (you can see the Cathedral tower)
2na6xl3.jpg

I moved the camera slighty right, and took this picture....
289dc9y.jpg

And again to the right....
2eowso1.jpg

More pics of the Alcazaba....
23r9yyp.jpg

es5jb4.jpg

es5jb4.jpg

2rghoqc.jpg

We were almost at the bottom (close to the Roman Theater), and there was the entrance for the Alcazaba. So you can go thru this entrance, and pay here, or go behind the City Hall, and pay there, and take the elevator to the top of the Alcazaba....
w0540n.jpg

After we exited the Alcazaba, we took a right and walked over to the "visitor's center" for the Roman Theater. It was free, and they had a movie inside. It was pretty weird, and I would recommend that you skip it. There were some artifacts inside, and then you exit toward the Roman Theater....
xo14i1.jpg

Another shot of the theater...
358vw9g.jpg

Wow! I was pretty impressed. These were the first Roman ruins I had seen in my life....
2qnmygy.jpg

After we left the Roman theater, we walked toward the cathedral. We stopped behind the cathedral, and there was a garden area there, which was very peaceful....
2hwijhk.jpg

People were sitting in this area, just relaxing....
2nv3zx1.jpg

We walked around to the front of the church....
15xo5jn.jpg

We walked over to Calle Marques de Larios. Beautiful street, with many shops. The ladies loved it, and I sat on a bench while they shopped....
xql79k.jpg

Went to the market also. (on Calle Atarazanas)...
xehkrb.jpg

More pics of the Alcazaba....

2rghoqc.jpg

I have to apologize for my son walking into your photo!

We had such a good time on this cruise, it's been great looking through your pics and remembering. I did wonder if one of us would turn up in your photos, should have known it would be my son :blush:

We took the free shuttle back to the ship. Once we walked thru security at the port, I took this picture....
2ymg6xz.jpg

Once you walked thru security, this is what you see. They had a few shops that were open while we were there. Those seat reminded me of something you would see at an airport....
30ikmdu.jpg

As we walked across the gangplank to enter the ship, I noticed these fish...
2mr7221.jpg

We ate lunch at Cabana's....
35cmyas.jpg

Took a picture of the port from Cabana's....
eijpsz.jpg

Another picture of the port, and you can see the shuttle buses....
24g6rsl.jpg

About 30 minutes before we left the port, I walked toward the back of the ship. There were kids lined up, waiting to catch a glimpse of "the mouse"...
dxxzz5.jpg

They kids clapped their hands (like cheerleaders), and yelled "Mickey"!...
2u9gyh2.jpg

I walked down to deck 4, and took this picture near the port building....
2rptgyb.jpg

Daisy came walking down deck 4, and when the kids saw her, there was some cheering....
e6dkx1.jpg

Went back up to deck 9, and more families were walking toward the rear of the ship, still waiting on Mickey....
t9y0yt.jpg

2nuk5fl.jpg

2sb5xj7.jpg

One last look toward Malaga....
rlkuo5.jpg

Mickey came out in a "Matador" outfit, and the kids went crazy. I was told this was the first visit of a Disney ship to Malaga (not sure if that is true), and that was the reason for the huge turnout when we left....
14cxxxf.jpg

2vkfgoz.jpg

That evening was the Mediterranean menu....
5estp2.jpg

Salad....
4lrgn5.jpg

Lemon Herb shrimp...
301hy0x.jpg

Melon balls....
2ln9sv8.jpg

Soft shell crab (it was awful!)....
8wab5t.jpg

Spicy tomato soup (and it was SPICY!)
bgci0h.jpg

Main Course menu....
az6ger.jpg

Feta cheese and spinach turnovers, and they were very good. They were on the vegetarian menu. Awesome combination...
2da0xhg.jpg

Flank steak....
2v1n1gw.jpg

Chicken....
292nxnr.jpg

Veal Shank was outstanding....
t54w2b.jpg

Dessert menu....
2q3xfmu.jpg

2nqa34x.jpg

Apple Tart....
dyu4bo.jpg

Barcelona sundae....
fdv8eb.jpg

Sweet Temptations....
3163htu.jpg

Enjoyed your review and pictures as I get ready to do my second WBTA cruise next month.

Our final evening on the cruise, and we were getting very close to Barcelona...
29pw26d.jpg

Appetizer menu....
200crba.jpg

Grilled potato and Goat cheese....
2mxixwz.jpg

Potato & Leek soup....
nvp7d.jpg

Cranberry Salad....
nq7fht.jpg

Main course menu.....
2en2kon.jpg

Pasta with shrimp only....
34y2wq9.jpg

Roasted chicken....
2l93zes.jpg

Beef Wellington.....
29bk10p.jpg

Dessert menu....
ohsdco.jpg

opuyio.jpg

Baked Alaska....
2939a1t.jpg

Apple Pie....
2ii992v.jpg

Celebration Cake....
qps6l5.jpg

String Fever performed again, in Fathoms. Great talent, and they kept the show fresh, and everyone seemed to like them....
245eaom.jpg

After String Fever, the crew performed "If I were not upon the sea". Brent had everyone laughing when he came out as the Ballerina.....
14t80tf.jpg

The entire cast....
2zrdymr.jpg

The next morning at Barcelona, we dropped off our luggage at DW Consigna. They had a booth right beside of the area where you grabbed your luggage. We then got on this bus which took us right near the start of Las Ramblas....
67oz7s.jpg

Walking up Las Ramblas was interesting.....
303h1k1.jpg

After walking around the Gothic Quarter, we took the Aerobus to the airport....
3467pt1.jpg

We flew from Barcelona to Munich, and rented a car and drove to Salzburg, Austria, and spent 2 nights there....
314f5uf.jpg

Seeing all the sights from Sound Of Music was awesome. We stopped by Maria's Abbey....
scuhrr.jpg

Drove over to Obersalzburg, Germany to check out the Eagles Nest. We got there to late to take the tour, but the area was beautiful....
11w6hvq.jpg

Went down into a bunker under the Hotel zum Turken, that lead to Hitler's house (the Berghof)....
slilcp.jpg

Walked around the sight of the Berghof. The only thing left is a couple of retaining walls....
19o4gl.jpg

Finished off the evening in Berchtesgaden. Beautiful town....
11j6hi1.jpg

What a great vacation. Definitely the biggest vacation we've ever done. The cruise was great. Funchal was interesting, Malaga was beautiful, with so much history. Barcelona was also full of history, and the Roman ruins were fascinating. Loved Salzburg. It was my favorite. And I would love to go back to Berchtesgaden, and spend some more time in that area. (and go to the Eagles Nest)
Thanks for all the kind comments on my review. I appreciate it. And I'm sure there were a lot of people that are like me, that when you read a trip report, you probably don't comment. You just read, and enjoy the pictures, and take some "tidbits" of information that may improve your cruising experience. Everyone likes doing different things on their cruise, and that's the good thing about trip reports on the DisBoards. Take the things that interest you, and use them on your cruise, and disregard the things you don't like. Next cruise is on the Magic to Jamaica in November......thanks, jonathan

What a wonderful report! And the cities you visited on the tail end of the trip looked amazing, too.

A bit late reading this but wow, it made me SO hungry! But instead of stopping to make my pathetic dinner, I just kept reading. Hope you know your report is still being read! Thanks for posting . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter