Disney Movie Marathon Challenge

Day 31: Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

I’m not sure if this counts as part of the challenge, but as with Mary Poppins who cares when it is this good :)

We both LOVED this movie and this was both our first time watching it. I might have caught a few moments of it when I was a kid, but this was the first time properly seeing it. I love when you watch a movie for the first time and you think ‘Where has this been all my life?’ and just know you're going to watch it again and again. What more could you wish for from a Zemeckis/Spielberg collab!

The whole idea of the film is completely brilliant! - parodying everything from film noir and cartoons, but very affectionately. They could have gotten away with a great idea, with all the fun visual jokes and recognisable characters popping up every few minutes, but they didn't rest on their laurels. Everything else about the movie is brilliant too.

I loved the film from the first few minutes of the opening sequence - that brilliant subversion of your expectations as the director appears shouting ‘Cut!’ and you’re thrown out of the cartoon world you thought you were in and into an entirely new one, is just one example of how the writing and visual storytelling work together so beautifully in this movie. Even though you’re expecting it, it’s still a thrill. A few minutes later superimposed text appears telling you this is Hollywood in the 1940s, but that almost felt disappointing to me. You're telling me it’s Hollywood in the 1940s loud and clear without words, don’t doubt yourself movie or your audience!

The story line is great, with twists and turns, but also quite touching and sweet at its core. Roger could have been annoying but definitely isn’t. It is nice to see a character who can be vulnerable and hilarious and whose goal in life is just to make other people laugh.

Bob Hoskins performance is great - just one example of how this movie could be just good and goes for great instead. He could have just been the hard-drinking, disillusioned cop, but they gave him a tragic backstory and he really plays that sorrowful side beautifully. His accent isn’t perfect and his cockney comes through every now and then. Only mentioning this because I had a go at Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins - seems to me like this accent matters as little as Van Dyke’s did to the performance. Who cares about accent when they have so much fun and bring so much depth!

That tone is actually carried throughout the movie and it’s beautiful. There are moments where you laugh out loud at a line or a moment (for example ‘A toon killed his brother. Dropped a piano on him’), but then those moments have real implications in the story. It’s completely brilliant writing - tight plot, every line of dialogue perfect for the tone of the movie. ‘I’m not bad, I’m just drawn that way’ has to be one of the best lines there’s ever been in a movie.

The music is also seriously cool and really captures the mood.

The effects are great, even the bits where the toons and humans are interacting, which must have been so tough to do. Of course, it’s not perfect, but the animation and film seemed to come together almost as well as computer-generated effects and characters do these days. The animation is also great - the characters have depth and weight as well as looking fantastic. Amazing how they’ve managed to make it look like they’re interacting with the world in a very real way, even though everything about it is so cartoonish. Your brain tells you that this is how cartoons would interact with the real world, even while it’s telling you that could never happen. This is a hard concept to explain, but basically, the visuals are on point!

I love the bit in Toontown and completely forgot I was watching a real actor interacting with cartoons, loved seeing all the recognisable characters living and interacting in the same place. We had so much fun throughout the movie exclaiming to one another ‘Did you see Dumbo! Did you see Mickey! Did you see the broomsticks from Fantasia!”

I really liked the whole movie, but my sister felt the last ten-fifteen minutes could have been stronger. She said the descent into pure cartoon caper didn’t seem satisfying and didn’t fit so well with film noir style of the rest of movie. I did wish Roger and Jessica had a bit more to do though watching them almost get dipped time and time again was tense and funny.

Altogether this is a great movie and the best we have seen for ages!!!

Well, that one was out of left field. It's not one I would have thought would be on the list but you are right, it is a good one! It's a really fun movie, and it's great that Toon Town has cartoons form various companies, not just Disney! The sort of hard-boiled detective story just fits in so smoothly with all of the zany antics going on. "Dropped a piano on him!" Indeed! That's sharp writing. This film just has so much character. Bob Hoskin's somewhat bad American accent is a staple of his work, and in this case, payback for Dick Van Dyke! Ha!

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. So many cool in-jokes and visual references("Walt sent me".) The various Roger Rabbit shorts are terrific as well, I think they are all bonus features on the blu-ray edition.

What happened? Just can't deal with Oliver and Company? It's a favorite of mine for nostalgic reasons. It's got Billy Joel too!

Day 32: Oliver and Company (1988)

Reviews are a comin! A couple of weeks ago, I started commuting to a different city for part of the week for a new job, so it's getting a bit more challenging to keep on top of watching/reviewing!

Oops, we’re now three movies ahead of ourselves. Time for some ultra-fast reviewing over the next couple of days while in once place!

So Oliver and Company is one we’ve watched a few times over the years. It’s an enjoyable watch, even if it’s not a movie that’s really going to stick around in your mind for aesthetic or story reasons. I think it’s possibly the most supremely 80s of the the 80s movies - with a soundtrack by people like Billy Joel and Huey Lewis and its slightly grubby look this movie is so 80s it should be wearing shoulder pads. So it's got that going for it.

Let’s talk about the music first, and address the other thing this movie has going for it: Why Should I Worry? This movie would be completely meh and forgettable if it weren’t for that fabulous song! Come on, you’ve started singing it in your head already haven’t you? Billy Joel kills it with that song, but also with his performance as Dodger, who is so icy cool that he could be unlikeable in other hands.

As for the other characters, they’re...OK. The dog characters are quite well-realised, which I think has quite a lot to do with the great voice acting. Each of them manages to have a distinctive personality so that, even though some of them don’t get a lot of time to shine, you still feel like you know them. The human characters are not so well developed; the little girl is cute but never really goes beyond that, Fagin is...weird and the villain Sykes is one of the most disappointing we’ve had. Oliver himself is fine. As far as child characters go he’s no Wart, but he’s no Simba either.

The look and feel of the movie isn’t particularly striking. As far as memorable sequence go, there’s a good bit at the beginning where, for a good long time, the whole thing is ‘shot’ from Oliver’s perspective. This means that you only see people’s ankles and other things at cat-height, and see for yourself the dangers of being that small. This is really creative and works really well at establishing Oliver’s situation and vulnerability.

Another memorable sequence is the car chase at the end, though not for the right reasons. They are obviously trying to bring some jeopardy and action to the story (which has been largely focusing on developing character relationships up until this point) but the car chase just ends up being silly. Why are there no other cars on the road? Or trains on the subway? It becomes very obvious that the whole thing was done on a budget.

So overall we enjoyed this one, but it’s not really surprising that it fades into the background a bit. Except for one thing of course...all together now!

Why should I worry?
Why should I ca-a-re?
I may not have a dime...

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. So many cool in-jokes and visual references("Walt sent me".) The various Roger Rabbit shorts are terrific as well, I think they are all bonus features on the blu-ray edition.

Did not know about extras. I will have to see if they are on Disney Life, which is where we are accessing most of the movies and awesome extras like documentaries.

Well, Oliver was definitely a favorite of mine as a kid, and the soundtrack is mainly why! The opening number by Huey Lewis still makes me a little teary, and I don't think you can discount Ruth Pointer's "Streets of Gold" either. Of course "Why Should I Worry?" is the standout track. Yes, this thing is definitely 80's as heck! It still has that grittiness of the era, but it is brighter and more colorful, so you can see them turning the corner. That's a great observation about the scene at cat-level. I don't think I ever actively acknowledged that. Anyway, it's a pretty fun one, even if not a true classic.

Strap in everyone, they're about to get REALLY GOOD!

Last edited:
I think I've only seen bits & pieces of O&C, inexplicably I have the soundtrack on CD. I go way back with Billy Joel but I don't even know this song you're referencing, I guess I'll dig it out and give it a spin.

Well, Oliver was definitely a favorite of mine as a kid, and the soundtrack is mainly why! The opening number by Huey Lewis still makes me a little teary, and I don't think you can discount Ruth Pointer's "Streets of Gold" either. Of course "Why Should I Worry?" is the standout track. Yes, this thing is definitely 80's as heck! It still has that grittiness of the era, but it is brighter and more colorful, so you can see them turning the corner. That's a great observation about the scene at cat-level. I don't think I ever actively acknowledged that. Anyway, it's a pretty fun one, even if not a true classic.

Strap in everyone, they're about to get REALLY GOOD!
Indeed they are! Yippee!

Day 33: The Little Mermaid (1989)

What a movie! We both LOVE this film so much and can totally see why it made such a splash (geddit) when it came out. This is the best movie so far without a doubt! It’s also, as I remember it, the first Disney I ever watched and also my first memory of the cinema. We definitely watched it at the cinema in the winter of 1990 (I only know this because my littlest sis was a month old and slept through most of it), so it must have been on in cinemas for ages!

Ariel is a really delightful heroine. Waaaay too young to be getting married, but that’s Disney for ya. It is nice to have a heroine who acts on her instincts and has such a well-defined personality. She’s not just generically nice and good like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty before her. Jodi Benson’s performance is gorgeous. Of course she has the most lovely singing voice, but she also brings a lot of personality to the character, playing her as young and naive, but definitely no fool, and vulnerable but also brave and ballsy.

From watching one of the Disney Life documentaries, it seems like the animators based a lot of Ariel’s traits on the actor playing her live-action reference. They brought back the practice of shooting some scenes in live action first so the animators would have something to work from, just like Walt did back in the old days with Sleeping Beauty and Alice! The woman they based Ariel on was a comedian and was great at emphasising the comedy and physicality of the character.

Ursula is probably both of our favourite Disney villain (although Scar is up there for me too!) - she’s so deliciously evil, funny and smart. The voice and the animation of the character are brilliant, creating the right mix of sinister and charismatic.

Eric is also decently fleshed out as a Disney prince - he’s no Aladdin but he’s definitely got more going for him (like...a name) than Cinderella’s or Snow White’s princes.

Sebastian is also a big part of why this movie is so great - a very likeable and funny character, with of course some of the best songs known to Disney. With him, Flounder and Scuttle that is quite a lot of sidekicks for Ariel. Maybe they could have lost Scuttle without losing anything - I don't find Scuttle that funny. But I am loathed to criticise this movie in any way because it’s as damn near perfect as a kids movie can be. And to think they followed it up with movies that are even more perfect!

The animation is gorgeous. There is lots of thought given to the way things should move underwater. That opening sequence is dreamlike! I also love the storm where Eric’s ship goes down - the way they animated the lightning and the ship being tossed on the sea is so dramatic. The characters are the real standouts though, and not just the human ones. All of the fish and other animals come to life too and are so colourful and full of personality.

The music is easily the best we’ve had so far. It seems crazy now to think that Disney movies weren’t always Broadway-style musicals as this approach now defines them so strongly. I’m not sure if I love musicals because of growing up with the Disney renaissance or if I love the Disney renaissance because I love musicals.

Under the Sea is quite possibly the best Disney song there has ever been - quite a claim, I know, but it’s definitely waaaay up there. Part of Your World is my sister’s favourite Disney song for nostalgic reasons, though she reckons it’s not objectively the best. It is up there for me too!

Really though this movie is just perfect!

I think I've only seen bits & pieces of O&C, inexplicably I have the soundtrack on CD. I go way back with Billy Joel but I don't even know this song you're referencing, I guess I'll dig it out and give it a spin.

Why should I worry :)

Walt Disney Animation returns from exile with a shot across the bow to the upstarts that were having their fun in the 80's - The Little Mermaid is the return to the true Disney Masterpiece. It's hard to critique a movie that's this good, and you pretty much said everything that can be said. I will make the proclamation that the very underrated "Fathom's Below" is the best song in this movie and it's a shame that they cut it down from the original version. I love sea shanties though! Anyway, this was the movie that launched the Renaissance, even if the next one is a small blip for scheduling reasons (not bad, just not quite in tune with the string of true Renaissance films). I'm not sure that the Little Mermaid is the best to-date, but it is certainly a strong candidate.

OK, NOW we're striking gold. TLM is classic stuff--great characters, great story, and the music is just phenomenal. While the animation is streets above its 80s predecessors, it was just the beginning of the improvements that would follow with the next several films. TLM is my DDs Disney foundation, it's the film they watched repeatedly growing up in our home.

Second review of the day, on a roll!!!!

Predicting this may come a bit out of left field...its...

Day 34: DuckTales the Movie (1990)

We’ve never seen either iteration of the TV show so the characters of DuckTales were totally new characters for us. I suspect that the movie assumes you have seen the TV show, else why would you be watching a low budget offering from MovieToons (on our list though-thanks wiki!)? This is also apparent in the plot of the movie (which is a bit rambling and feels like material for three or four episodes somewhat unsuccessfully woven into a three-act movie structure) and characters who appear but have no impact whatsoever on the plot (including Launchpad and Scrooge’s various employees) because people would know them from the show.

The movie is only a little over an hour but already feels too long. The plot is thick with incident but thin on character development. For the first 20 minutes or so something is ‘happening’ every 30 seconds (it’s almost difficult to keep up) but so little of it has anything to do with any of the characters that I didn’t even learn anyone’s name until I googled it later. The various comedy antics with Webby making dumb wishes are not very funny and go on for too long and also add almost nothing to the plot - come on, Disney, I thought we were past this sort of thing. Wait what am I saying we still have direct to video sequels to go (most of which are not on the list however-it seems to be quite a random list)!

However, once the movie stopped hopping about from location to location and settled into the characters a bit more, however, it improved immensely.

The bits with the kids and the genie are also probably the best bits of the film as they are such likeable characters and also get all the best dialogue. They’re actually very similar to 80s kids like from ET or Stand By Me, always cracking wise and showing much more emotional intelligence than their adult counterparts. The genie is also quite a fun character - no Robin Williams, but an interesting forerunner. Actually, Aladdin ripped quite a lot of this movie off - shows that reusing old ideas can work extremely well sometimes. I genuinely felt for the genie’s situation in this film, in the same way, I do with the genie in Aladdin.

The only other character you learn anything about is Scrooge McDuck, who I quite enjoyed. He is also the only character, apart from the genie, with anything resembling an arc, which worked pretty well.

The villain is rubbish! Very disappointing considering who’s playing him - Christopher Flippin Lloyd!

The music, in general, is forgettable but the theme tune is very 80s and fun. A bit of an earworm.

Conclusion: this movie is by no means a complete write-off. I won't be in a hurry to watch again, but I might at some point :)

There you go again with the curve balls. DuckTales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp is basically an extended episode of the TV show, though the few DisneyToon theatrical releases did have bigger budgets. I love DuckTales, and while this movie is fine, there are better "5 part movie events" that were part of the series, like the very first 5 episodes, "Treasure of the Golden Suns." DuckTales channels the old Carl Barks duck comics and have such a classic sense of adventure, and the voice work is impeccable. This movie isn't that special though.

Every time I talk about "the next one" you throw an extra one in. I was referring to The Rescuers Down Under as a blip in the Disney Renaissance. If you made time for this one, do yourself a favor and toss in A Goofy Movie. It is also from DisneyToon and is most definitely the greatest movie ever made. ;)

There you go again with the curve balls. DuckTales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp is basically an extended episode of the TV show, though the few DisneyToon theatrical releases did have bigger budgets. I love DuckTales, and while this movie is fine, there are better "5 part movie events" that were part of the series, like the very first 5 episodes, "Treasure of the Golden Suns." DuckTales channels the old Carl Barks duck comics and have such a classic sense of adventure, and the voice work is impeccable. This movie isn't that special though.

Every time I talk about "the next one" you throw an extra one in. I was referring to The Rescuers Down Under as a blip in the Disney Renaissance. If you made time for this one, do yourself a favor and toss in A Goofy Movie. It is also from DisneyToon and is most definitely the greatest movie ever made. ;)

Is the new DuckTales any good?

I must admit this list has more extras then I knew about, but occasionally we get films I've never heard of (The Reluctant Dragon) or seen (Roger Rabbit), that I'll be watching for years to come :)

A Goofy Movie is definitely on the list and a new one for us!

The Rescuers Down Under (an old family fav) up next...

Is the new DuckTales any good?

I must admit this list has more extras then I knew about, but occasionally we get films I've never heard of (The Reluctant Dragon) or seen (Roger Rabbit), that I'll be watching for years to come :)

A Goofy Movie is definitely on the list and a new one for us!

The Rescuers Down Under (an old family fav) up next...

I like the new DuckTales but it is a bit different. It has that more modern, snappy banter style, but is still generally very good. It doesn't quite measure up to the original though (and trust me, Treasure of the Lost Lamp isn't the best example of the series).

A Goofy Movie ROCKS! It is a transcendent experience. Warning: The soundtrack will be with you forever. It is the soundtrack to LIFE!

RDU's all right. If you want to add a bonus and have access, watch Mickey in "The Prince and the Pauper" first as it was paired with it in theaters.

Day 35: The Rescuers Down Under (1990)

Our first sequel! Its very oddly timed considering how many years had gone by since the previous movie. Were people clamouring for a sequel? If so, why was the movie conisdered a failure?

This movie seems to have disappeared even more completely than The Rescuers over the years - apart from playing the music in Epcot sometimes. As with The Rescuers I haven’t seen a reference to it in any of the parks I’ve been to - such as shame because there are some really fab characters in this one too!

While The Little Mermaid is my earliest memory of the cinema, this film is my sister’s and holds a really special place in both our hearts. While our parents tolerated Disney for our sake and liked Disneyland Paris, they were never massive fans of the films, except for this one. We watched this time and time again together, usually with takeout pizza or something.

When I was a kid I preferred this film to The Rescuers as I found The Rescuers a bit boring - Down Under is very action-packed and less emotional than The Rescuers, but still anchored by the characters so it works really well.

The animation in the film is lovely; they really make the most of the setting and you can see that no expense has been spared to bring the world to life. Sequences like Bernard and Bianca in the restaurant (anyone for ‘pea soup’?) and the opening sequence have stayed with me for life. It would also be wrong not to mention the sequences where Cody flies on Marahute’s back - these are a complete triumph!

We also get some of their first attempts at computer animation - I don't know if they really hold up so well now, but at the time I barely noticed them, which is what should happen with good computer-generated effects. The opening bit where you race across the outback towards Cody’s house is extremely effective. This may be because of the music rather than the animation but who cares? In fact, for me it is one of the most memorable movie starts there is.

The music is one of the best things about the movie - how do you not hear it more often? As far as scores for non-musical Disney movies go it’s way up there. The Pixar movies could be said to be in a class of their own when it comes to music, but as far as the other Disney Studios movies go, Rescuers Down Under probably has one of the best scores. We wondered if perhaps the movie didn't do so well was because it isn’t a musical and doesn’t even have any songs as the original Rescuers did. But Pixar movies seem to do OK, so this is still a mystery.

Most of the main characters are pretty great - Bernard and Miss Bianca continue to be wonderful, especially Bernard, who goes on even more of a journey than in the first movie. Jake is a great addition - my sister had a bit of a thing for him when she was little! I’m not so sure about Wilbur, I don’t really find his bits that funny and I think he gets too much time allotted to him considering he doesn’t really advance the plot that much.

Cody is a good child character, if slightly unbelievable. One of the things that makes Penny such a well-rounded character is that Medusa’s cruelty has a real effect on her, whereas Cody nearly dies from falling off a cliff, then gets kidnapped and threatened with death every few minutes, then goes over a waterfall but somehow still remains feisty and unbothered. He also nearly falls to his death an unreasonable number of times in the movie. His mum should really think about keeping him in more; the kid is a magnet for trouble.

McLeach is an interesting choice for a villain. He might be the most unpleasant villain we’ve had so far as he seems to take a lot of pleasure in hurting not only animals, but also small children. He’s not really funny or delightful in the way some of the other villains are - he’s just horrible, and his delight in hurting defenceless creatures is a bit tasteless. This may have led some parents to decide that the movie wasn’t suitable for small children. As someone who did watch it when she was very small I can confirm McLeach was a scary villain - definitely not the most scary, but scary and extremely unlikeable.

This all having been said Joanna is a really good villain’s sidekick. I love that she survives at the end as McLeach goes over the waterfall - it seems like such a perfect ending both for him and for her. He deserves a violent end (we don't often see Disney villains just straight up die) and she deserves to carry on as the opportunistic little bottom-feeder that she is.

I have mixed feelings about the plot. Overall I think it works really well; all the main characters get a satisfactory arc and there’s plenty of action. I think the problem may be the pacing. I don’t know how much time goes by in the movie before Bernard and Miss Bianca are introduced, but it’s probably about 20 minutes, and then the story concentrates on them for a really long time, giving us lots of time to forget what’s been going on with Cody. Basically, the movie seems to have difficulty stringing together its two main storylines, and since the mice don’t catch up with Cody until well into the final act these problems persist throughout most of the movie. There is also the aforementioned problem that too much time is spent on Wilbur and his various antics, which even as a kid I remember fidgeting through.

And so to the big questions: How does Down Under, our very first sequel, stack up against The Rescuers? I’m inclined to think it’s marginally better, though both of them are very good. This movie is a bit more exciting and although the villain isn't as good, Jake is a really fantastic addition. Most importantly there are some bits of animation that are completely breathtaking and the score is gorgeous. Second question: Is this the best Disney sequel ever (not including Pixar, b/c we are not ready for the Toy Story 1, 2, 3 debate yet!)? My thinking is yes, yes it is! Frozen 2 you have a lot to live up to in more ways than one! Or maybe Ralph Breaks the Internet will win out!

In conclusion, I really really like this movie. It may not be a favourite, but it’s definitely criminally underrated and may even be better than the original.

I like the new DuckTales but it is a bit different. It has that more modern, snappy banter style, but is still generally very good. It doesn't quite measure up to the original though (and trust me, Treasure of the Lost Lamp isn't the best example of the series).

A Goofy Movie ROCKS! It is a transcendent experience. Warning: The soundtrack will be with you forever. It is the soundtrack to LIFE!

RDU's all right. If you want to add a bonus and have access, watch Mickey in "The Prince and the Pauper" first as it was paired with it in theaters.

Thanks for recommending "The Prince and the Pauper", funny and fun addition to the watching!

Randomly this one was not on DisneyLife (all the other films and most shorts are!). As I understand it though, the US does not have a Disneylife equivalent yet anyway. This is very strange to me! We never get things first in the UK!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter