Disney movies - classic animation

Do you miss the classic musical disney movies?

• I could really could care less, the musicals are for sissy's

• I liked the musical's, but we are in the 21st century, and digital animation is the future

• I would like to see them mix in some - maybe a PIXAR musical

• I totally miss the musical's - my IPOD is loaded with the classics

Results are only viewable after voting.

twokids0204

DIS Dad #561
With this new fully digital PIXAR animation - are we getting jipped out of the classic, memorable, toe tapping musicals?

The Incredibles, Wall-E, Monsters Inc., etc... all great movies, but what happened to The Lion King, Beauty and The Beast, Pocohontas, Little Mermaid, the list goes on...

***Be our guest, be our guest, put our service to the test....***

Ahhhh, memories.

Your thoughts?

I tend to agree with you. I think Pixar has done a terrific job, but I do miss the animated movies. I'm especially a fan of the animated classics from the late 1960's back. (This must date me!! ;))

Bring back the animation. I like Pixar as well but we need animated movies once in a while, too. They're beautiful works of art.

I do miss the classics - the song and dance. That's what Walt Disney enjoyed. But Walt also enjoyed progress.... and this is progress.

Lilo and Stitch was the last and is supposedly the last of the "classic" animation. And there was little song and dance in that. According to Wikipedia's list, it appears as if Tarzan was the last real "classic."

I voted for the I have classic music on my iPod, btw.

I have these movies for my iPod:

Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King
The Jungle Book
Bambie
The Three Caballeros (sp)
The other Donald movie
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Sleepy Hollow/Mr. Toad
Make Mine Music
Alice In Wonderland
The Black Cauldron
101 Dalmatians
Peter Pan
Melody Time
The Rescuers
Sleeping Beauty

I obviously need to switch them out, lol.

Home of the Range is the last of the animated movies. Tarzan is the last true classic movie, it took a classic tale and made it into a musical. Lilo and Stitch are bunched in with Brother Bear, The Emperors New Groove, and Home of the Range. Then Bolt is with Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons.

Here are the brackets:
1. Snow White-Bambi
2. Saludos Amigos-Mr Toad
3. Cinderella-The Sword In the Stone
4. The Jungle Book-Oliver and Company
5. The Little Mermaid-Tarzan (though split this into TLM-TLK and Pocahontas-Tarzan)
6.The Emperor's New Groove-Home On the Range (skipping Dinosaur and Fantasia 2000 because neither fit in this category)
7. Chicken Little-Bolt

People may well disagree with me, but I think that a very small number of Disney films are actually musicals. Most of Walt's films used music as part of the story, but did not use music to tell the story. I can't think of a single Walt era film that featured a show stopping musical number ala Under the Sea or Be Our Guest. While most featured fun, engaging numbers, most of them just were accompanying the story being told, not telling the story.

I think the "musical" era began with The Little Mermaid. And to answer the OP's question, I think we're missing out on the Disney classics because management at the Disney company decided to stop making them. Pixar did not kill 2-D animation. Michael Eisner did. Indeed, after Disney bought Pixar, John Lasseter announced that Disney would again make hand drawn films. The Princess and the Frog is being released this year, and it's going to be hand drawn.

I miss the classics. Big time. I love the new Pixar movies, but I miss the wonderful "Disney Animation" we all know and love. Whether it's the classics or the musicals - we need more like 'em!

I like all DIsneymovies. The only one I can pass on and not miss is Snow White and Pochontas. The rest of them....I would love to see more of it incorporated into the parks.

Sounds like what you miss is the musical aspect of things.

I would highly recommend that you watch some of the DVD extras from Pixar movies, so that you can see that they are artists who are using computers...it's not like the computer just boom does it for them.

Also, check out the Boundin' short from either the Pixar shorts DVD or...I think it's on Cars (but I'm not totally sure). Lovely little song and short story, and it was animated (using computers) by several different artists at one point. I think of all Pixar has done, Boundin' is my absolute favorite. And Birds on a Wire is second. Only then do the movies, which I LOVE, come in. :)

Oh, and even in the hand-drawn stuff, they used computer technology sometimes. I think it's Beauty and the Beast (which I have not seen) that has an opening "long shot" where you close in on a castle (?), and they used technology created by the Pixar guys for that (though I'm not sure they were Pixar at the time). Cool, huh?

I found the musical numbers boring even in the older ones, but I really liked the stories. In the newer (90s) ones I detested every musical part and felt they were corny and over done. Im glad they're gone.

I never felt the medium, hand drawn animation, was something to wonder over. It's always been the story. I feel the computer animation is the same, but I feel the new animation techniques are superior in every way because of the detail and depth they offer, as well as the literal distance they are able to display on screen.

Im not sure how music ties into it being computer animated or hand drawn.

People may well disagree with me, but I think that a very small number of Disney films are actually musicals. Most of Walt's films used music as part of the story, but did not use music to tell the story. I can't think of a single Walt era film that featured a show stopping musical number ala Under the Sea or Be Our Guest. While most featured fun, engaging numbers, most of them just were accompanying the story being told, not telling the story.

I think the "musical" era began with The Little Mermaid. And to answer the OP's question, I think we're missing out on the Disney classics because management at the Disney company decided to stop making them. Pixar did not kill 2-D animation. Michael Eisner did. Indeed, after Disney bought Pixar, John Lasseter announced that Disney would again make hand drawn films. The Princess and the Frog is being released this year, and it's going to be hand drawn.

I was going to mention that. I'm excited to see how it compares with the older movies.

I found the musical numbers boring even in the older ones, but I really liked the stories. In the newer (90s) ones I detested every musical part and felt they were corny and over done. Im glad they're gone.

I never felt the medium, hand drawn animation, was something to wonder over. It's always been the story. I feel the computer animation is the same, but I feel the new animation techniques are superior in every way because of the detail and depth they offer, as well as the literal distance they are able to display on screen.

Im not sure how music ties into it being computer animated or hand drawn

I don't think the OP was making a mutually exclusive statement. The newer films don't have the musical theatre feel (the characters are singing, etc.). There is music, but it's not part of the storyline.

I miss them!! I have several Disney songs on my iPod!!

I don't think the OP was making a mutually exclusive statement. The newer films don't have the musical theatre feel (the characters are singing, etc.). There is music, but it's not part of the storyline.

What was going on during the first 28 minutes of Wall E that had no talking? There's definately music in them. Music I enjoy a lot more. I think they shifted their target demo.

What was going on during the first 28 minutes of Wall E that had no talking? There's definately music in them. Music I enjoy a lot more. I think they shifted their target demo.

Yes, as I said, there is music, but not in a musical (as a genre, not a noun) style.

Dose anyone know if the Princess & the Frog is going to be "musical" in the Little Mermaid/Aladdin/Lion King sense? I would like to say "Yes," in my head, because it's a movie that's taking place during the Jazz Age in New Orleans...but I also saw where Randy Newman is in charge of the music, and while I like, "You've Got A Friend in Me," it's the only memorable song from Toy Story; likewise, he's done a lot of other (IMHO :) ) "forgettable" music for Disney/Pixar films.

Just to take away from the confusion... I am not stating that PIXAR / Digital Animation is a bad thing.
I am opening dialogue to get opinions as to which movie style people enjoy.
As well, I know that any movie classic animation or digital made from 1990 and on, has some aspect of digital / computer enhancment.
What I am saying is there is a very distinct difference in the movies. Toy Story (which was Pixar's first feature length) was originally done as an experimental project. To show the lifelikeness of the new technology, and it succeded BIG TIME, and I own it... I own them ALL. And I appreciate them.

But I don't walk around thinking what if Sully and Mike were to _______.

But I do walk around singing "Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase...." (which by the way it is a wonderful phrase...:rotfl2: ).

I am simply saying the days of a good musical are long gone. Sure they still have great musical scores, but it just isn't the same.

I thought we would see more of the top notch musical format when Beauty and the Beast was nominated for the best picture Oscar....

and I clearly remember going along on school and scout trips where all the girls were singing all the songs to the Lion King, Aladdin, the Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast.

I love all the Disney and Pixar movies and would like to see both musical and non-musical.....computer and hand drawn animation. It is in a variety that the interest level is maintained!

Since this poll isn't about theme park planning, I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

I love all Disney movies but I totally miss the "musical" feel of Sleeping Beauty/ Snow White/ Aladdin.

I personally can do with out Pixar. Pixar does good work but none of there movies have that classic feel to them. I liked both toy story films, bugs life was just ok, Monsters Inc was so-so, Finding Nemo was great visually but thats about it, Incredibles was mildly entertaining, Cars was really cool but no good music, Ratatouille was ok, and Wall-E was terrible!

My problem with Pixar is there movies lack great musical scores, the stories lack the disney magic, and feels like i'm watching a video game rather than a movie.

I'm glad to see The Princess and the Frog will be 2d hand drawn, and a musical. Hopefully Randy Newman does good work this time. He has not impressed me in the past (but i'd love to proven wrong).

My final thought is hopefully Pixar does kill off hand drawn animation. I'm all for technology advancing but sometimes its good to go back to the classics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter